Menu

What can I do with too many baby carrots?

Amira

My parents came for a visit and my dad bought a 5 pound bag of baby carrots. Not even he could get through over two kilos of carrots in 2 weeks, so now I have about half a bag left. I cook with real carrots all the time but never buy the baby carrots. We'll never eat our way through them. But I don't want to toss them.

My two ideas have been to roast the lot and them freeze them to use in blended soups, or to boil, mash, and then freeze them in small portions for carrot cookies, cake, or bread. I like the first idea better then the second. I could also try giving them away to friends who might use baby carrots.

If you have other ideas, I'd love to hear them. Mostly I wish I could put them back together into a useful-to-me form.

carrot soup:

1# carrots (any form, chopped small, I use baby carrots as is)

1 large potato, peeled and cubed

1 medium white onion, diced

olive oil

salt/pepper

vegeta (seasoning)

saute onion in oil till soft, add potato and carrot. Add water to cover +some (I also usually throw in some ckn bouillon or you could use chicken broth). Cook on low till all is soft. Puree with an immersion blender. Then add seasoning to taste (you can add water too if it is too thick for your tastes). This freezes well for quick lunches with a grilled cheese sandwich.

Carrot-Cranberry Sautee

1lb carrots (cut the babies in 1/2 or 1/4s long-way, so you have sticks)
1tsp salt
1Tbsp brown sugar
1tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 c. o.j.
2Tbsp butter
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/3 c. coarsely chopped pecans (perhaps toasted)

Place carrots in a pan with 1/2 tsp salt. Cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook 10 minutes until tender. Drain.

Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, mustard and remaining salt in small bowl. Add o.j.

Melt butter in large skillet. Add carrots and o.j. Cool 2-3 minutes or until carrots are coated, during frequently. Add cranberries; cook until heated through. Garnish with pecans.

Carrot cake, Morning Glory muffins, and some quick breads use grated carrots.

I make a soup with leftover carrots that I put through the food processor.

I'm having trouble posting the link, but Google the recipe Mashed carrots with orange and mint

I love carrot soup.

You can mix it with potatoes and other things for a root veggie mash.

Add some to spaghetti sauce and it will sweeten it a bit.

You can make carrot cake and muffins. :)

You can also just chop and freeze.

Oh…I had a good recipe for a persian chicken/carrot dish…let me see if I can find it.  I don't know if this is the recipe I used, but it was super yummy. http://andreasgardencooking.com/2013/02/27/haveej-polo-persian-chicken-carrot-and-rice-pilaf/

eat raw (with dip or hummus, if you like).

the 3 of us easily go through one pound in one sitting. Great for snacks and to munch on the go, since they pack well

LOVE carrots & hummus.  Trader Joe's has a garlic hummus that is my favorite.

I will often bring a baggie or Rubbermaid container of carrots with us when we're out running errands.  I've even carried them around in my purse and eaten as I've grocery shopped. 

We just opened a 5 lb bag of carrots this weekend, I'm seeing it as a personal challenge to finish them off in the next month.  This bag so far has a really yummy flavor.

I honestly don't think we can eat through all of them- they're already past the best by date, although I know that's flexible with carrots. There are nearly 3 pounds. 

And how can anyone stand to grate or chop those stupid little carrots?  I always end up with bloody fingers.  I think I'll just stash them whole in the freezer and add them when I'm roasting vegetables. Because you're all a lot more ambitious with baby carrots than I am. :)

And how can anyone stand to grate or chop those stupid little carrots?  I always end up with bloody fingers.

I doubt anybody would grate them by hand - that's what food processors are for.

As for chopping: all you really need to do is slice them.

I still can't wrap my head around you not being able to finish just eating them in three days ;-)

I doubt anybody would grate them by hand - that's what food processors are for.

As for chopping: all you really need to do is slice them.

I still can't wrap my head around you not being able to finish just eating them in three days ;-)

I have to admit to never having grated anything in a food processor.  At least I have a small food processor now, although I don't think I saved the grating attachment. :)

I think I just don't like baby carrots as much as I'm supposed to. They're too convenient for me.  Give me the fattest carrot you can find and I'll julienne it for you in no time.

Toss with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, and a splash of lemon juice. Roast them in the oven. You CANNOT have too many of these! :drool5:    

Or , I would feed them to my dog. He thinks they are ambrosia. Go figure. Weird dog.

Roasting them with a bit of oil and more than a bit of salt really is the best way I know of to get them to taste like, y'know, a carrot.  

(I actually do buy them sometimes because they are oh-so-convenient to hurl at the kids along with a tub of Sabra's hummus... but if I myself want a carrot, I invest in 20 seconds of peeling!)

Well, I love all the recipe ideas for carrots. We put a lot of carrots in curries too:)

But if you just can't find the time to cook, freeze, or otherwise consume them here is another idea, lol...

I just watched a pre-Easter show on rescue bunnies. I actually did not realize this was such a big problem, but It makes perfect sense. I guess as Easter approaches there are thousands of bunnies bred and purchased as Easter gifts...and then abandoned or turned over to animal rescue agencies because they are too much work, don't meet expectations, or just neglected as the newness wears off. I had a quick google and there seem to be bunny rescues in every town imaginable, and some just go to the humane society. They accept all sorts of donations...some including carrots:)

http://www.foodrenegade.com/lactofermented-carrot-sticks/

I generally ferment vegetables with one of two goals in mind:

1. Creating a tasty and healthy dose of probiotics and enzymes without the cost of supplements.
  2. Preserving the harvest in a way that actually enhances the nutritional value of the food while not requiring much in the way of energy resources for this off-grid homesteader.

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/07/08/how-to-guide-fermented-ginger-carrots/

It’s no secret that I love fermented foods (sauerkraut and kombucha being my favorites) because of their probiotic content, and lately I’ve started to expand my horizons. I went to a farmer’s market recently and saw a jar of fermented ginger carrots selling for something like $8! Off I went to the store to get a pound of carrots and some ginger to make my own.