Menu

Who had a parent or spouse that worked(s) in a factory? Have you worked in a factory?

unsinkable

Who had a parent that worked(s) in a factory?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who had a parent that worked(s) in a factory? Not as a supervisor or engineer, etc

• Mom did or does work in a factory.
    • Dad did or does work in a factory.
    • I work or worked in a factory.
    • My spouse works or worked in a factory.
    • Nope, not mom, not dad, not spouse, not me
    • Other

We don't have many factories around here unless you count the mills.  We are in a lumber area, although, it is dying off.  My grandfather worked at a lumber mill until he retired.  He was a machine mechanic I think.  I also know a few people that work at a chemical plant.

My MIL worked in a glass factory in college for a while.  I think she was a secretary or some sort of office work.

My mom briefly worked in a clerical/admin position at the Ocean Spray factory when my dad was starting a business. Technically she was employed by the temp agency.

My brother worked on the line at Cains foods the summer between high school and college.

DH worked at the Barnes & Noble warehouse the summer between high school and college.

Does maintenance count?  My mother is a calibration tech (clean maintenance) for a pharmaceutical company. In the 80's she was a machinist at a Naval Avionics plant. DH has worked as an operator and also CNC machinist (long time ago) but has been in maintenance for a while now, recently became Supervisor.  I started thinking about it and other then my maternal G-father, no one even in my extended family, works/worked in a factory. 

eggs here. 

Summer job during college, I worked on the layer line.  The eggs would be candled, washed automatically, auto-packed in cartons, and then people would pack the cartons into boxes for shipment.  I was one of the people that packed the cartons into boxes.  All day half bent over, and burning your knuckles off running your hands up and down cardboard all day.  

I lasted exactly 3 weeks there.  The one and only time I worked a line.

My parents both worked in a cannery while in college. My dad may have started out there earlier. By the time he was in college, his main job there was to sit on the roof and fix anything that broke. He said it was great, he got a lot of his homework done when nothing broke and could occasionally get in a nap as well, he said the noise of the machinery breaking would always wake him up. His dad was an auto mechanic and he was very handy.

Also, to this day we always buy Campbell's Soup because of their cannery days. When he worked there, they had different companies that would take different quality of vegetables for various products. He said that Campbell's always took the highest quality vegetables, even for soups and stews. He said most of the other soup companies at the time would use lower grades of veggies in their soups.

My mom worked for years at the New Process Company (now renamed Blair Co.) plant in town doing clerical work. They're the inexpensive clothing company that used to send fat mailers with lots of single sheet ads & fabric swatches tucked inside. Most of the women in town were employed there at one time or another! I also worked there summers to help pay for college, standing at a mailing machine all day, hoping it wouldn't break down & feeding it endless new stacks of flyers and fabric rolls. Paper cuts galore!

My dad worked at the GTE Sylvania Electric factory in town his entire adult life, driving a fork lift & loading tractor trailer trucks with wire spools.

Remember the thread about jobs you couldn't do? Well I used to work for a temp service doing factory work when I couldn't get other work, but I HATED it and couldn't do it often. I had to be dead broke to do it. The worst was working for Fircrest Farms where they made turkey hot dogs and they are FREEZING cold to work with. Awful. I could only do one day of that. I also made lotion for a very fun week in a tiny factory where we made lotion and bottled it and shipped it so it was very interesting to see the whole process of something. Also, I only eat frozen veggies because I worked for National Frozen and I know how fast frozen food goes from being picked to being frozen so I feel like it's more healthy.

My mom worked in an Eastman Kodak plant in the 70's. It was working with film and most of it was darkroom work.

My dad was a machinist for IBM.

The summer between high school and college I worked third shift in a gasket factory. I would be assigned to different jobs--usually picking gaskets our of the sheet of material and packing them in boxes. It was dirty, repetitive work and interaction outside of talking about the job was forbidden. I hated that job, but it paid well for a summer job, and it sure was a good motivator to do well in college!