Menu

Our new dog escaped... UPDATE post#66 - He's home!!!!

Matryoshka

I am beside myself, heartsick. :crying:  Dd waited and waited for us to get a dog - she finally wore us down.  She did tons of work and research to find one that was just right.  It was adorable and well-behaved and got along with the cats.  And most importantly, it was almost instantly devoted to dd.  We'd only had him just over two weeks.

Someone came to the door and stood with it partway open.  I called for them to close it, and tried to grab the dog, but out he was.  I'd kept him leashed even indoors most of the time - I was starting to let him off as he'd been so well-behaved. Dd is away at camp this week.  I wonder if he was looking for her, or just wanted to protect us from the scary person on the porch, or if he just wanted fresh air.  But once he was out, he was gone.  Ran around the yard and then galloped away.  I heard from someone I gave a flyer to last night that she heard from someone that he'd been seen over a mile away from us less than an hour after he got out. :crying:

If anyone's inclined to pray or send positive thoughts to the universe, I am really despairing that anything short of divine intervention will reunite him with us. :crying:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, check Craigslist.

Put flyers up at vets' offices, grocery stores, dog parks, on street corners.

Go to the animal shelter every day or two (depending on how long the mandatory hold period is -- if it's 48 hours go every single day, if it's 72 you can go every other day).  Do NOT rely on calling and having animal shelter workers correctly identify your dog.  Unless, of course, he's microchipped.  If he's chipped then you need to notify the chipping service he's registered with.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Yes, check Craigslist.

Put flyers up at vets' offices, grocery stores, dog parks, on street corners.

Go to the animal shelter every day or two (depending on how long the mandatory hold period is -- if it's 48 hours go every single day, if it's 72 you can go every other day).  Do NOT rely on calling and having animal shelter workers correctly identify your dog.  Unless, of course, he's microchipped.  If he's chipped then you need to notify the chipping service he's registered with.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

This.  Do NOT rely on phone calls to the animal shelter.  I'm stressing this because they will have a dog w/ collar and tags, and tell you they don't have your dog!  Speaking from experience, mine and others.  Grrr.   Also, if you are on FB, search for lost and found dog pages for your area.    Hoping your baby comes back!

I'm so sorry. This is from a lost pets page:

TOP 10 WAYS TO FIND YOUR LOST PET:

Below are ten top ways to begin the search for your lost pet. Thousands of pet owners who follow this advice from the SPCA enjoy happy reunions with their lost pets, sometimes right at the SPCA counter...other times, on the streets of their neighborhoods, at animal control facilities, even in the homes of friendly community members trying to help.

*Create fliers with a photo and brief description of your pet. Not small pieces of paper, either...LARGE fliers, with a LARGE photo. Your announcement is an emergency, and must be treated that way. It needs to stand out from other informational fliers. Post the fliers ANYWHERE you're allowed... at stores, vet offices, groomers' establishments, libraries, banks, gas stations, pet supply shops, etc. Be sure to include a phone number that is always available.

*Talk to people....your mail carrier, newspaper delivery person or anyone who is regularly in your neighborhood. Knock on doors and talk to your neighbors... ask whether they have seen your pet, and be sure they check with their children. Show them your pet's photo. Leave your phone number with them. Check with local animal control officers to see if your pet is being held at a different animal facility. Please contact your city or town clerk for the phone number of your local animal control agency....but don't stop there. It's possible your animal ended up in another township and is being held by local animal control there. Consult all surrounding animal agencies.

*The search at sunrise....make yourself visible in the neighborhood during the very quiet morning hours. If your animal is fearful, he or she might feel more secure, and might be more active, in the first hour or so of daylight. Shake boxes of dog biscuits or dry pet food. Make sure you have some of your pet's food with you whenever you're searching...it'll help lure your pet if he or she is scared.

*Place ads in newspapers...the large publications and the small, community ones. Utilize on-line pet finder Web sites, but don't let that take the place of you visiting shelters personally. Also, remember to check local newspaper lost and found ads to see whether a member of another community has found your pet. Don't forget the benefits of social media...Craigslist lost and found

*Look for your pet in unusual places around your home, including storm drains, ditches, etc. If you're searching for a cat, don't forget to look UP! Your pet may not have gone far, and may even hear you calling, but might be too afraid to come out of...or down from...hiding.

*Lure your pet home with scents. Leave his or her favorite food outside in a dish (if it's a moist food, microwave it first to increase the scent). Put out your pet's favorite blanket, a litter box, even a pet bed. An animal's sense of smell is much more powerful than a human's; it's not unusual for an animal to pick up a scent from a distance. And make sure you're watching! It won't be of much help if your pet, or some other animal, enjoys dinner on the patio and then scampers away without you knowing it!

*DON'T LET PHONE CALLS GIVE YOU A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY! You and others who know your pet need to PERSONALLY VISIT the SPCA shelters and other animal shelters ON A DAILY BASIS. Do not simply call these shelters and ask them to check on whether your pet is in the building. Ten different people might describe your pet ten different ways...only YOU know which pet is yours. Set up a schedule of the people who will help you and the places they've agreed to visit.

Some animals don't go far...others do. Although the door-to-door street search is best carried out near home, don't neglect visiting animal shelters in all surrounding neighborhoods. It's possible your pet was picked up by a good Samaritan, transported, and then ran off again.

*Phone calls WILL help, however, if you call veterinary clinics and emergency animal hospitals. Think about it...if someone finds an injured, stray animal, the first place he or she might take it is a veterinary clinic. Call and ask if they've seen your pet. Don't just call once...call every day. Very often, the people on the other end of the line will give you names and numbers of other places to call, to make your search even more thorough.

*Talk to dog walkers in your neighborhood, and in surrounding areas. Xxx boasts an effective and supportive dog walking network. They know instantly when there's a "new dog on the block," especially when the dog is alone. They even notice cats that are new to the neighborhood (or should we say, their DOGS notice the cats...!). These animal-lovers also communicate on a regular basis. Find these groups of people and give them copies of your fliers. They really do care if you find your dog or cat.

*Keep up the search. Don't give up after just a few days, or after a week. Don't even give up after two weeks. SPCA staff members have witnessed thousands of pet/owner reunions, and many took place months after the pet was originally lost. Hundreds of factors could contribute to the delay in the reunion...way too many to list, of course. Take our word for it. Don't become discouraged too quickly.

Some animals don't go far...others do. Although the door-to-door street search is best carried out near home, don't neglect visiting animal shelters in all surrounding neighborhoods. It's possible your pet was picked up by a good Samaritan, transported, and then ran off again.

I copied this from an above post.  This is very important.  My sister's dog was found a mile away from her home but ended up at an SPCA 30 miles away, even though there were 2 others closer to where the dog was found.

Don't give up. Miracles happen. A few years ago my sister was house sitting and her ten year old German shepherd disappeared.  She put a ad in the new paper and called every humane society and vets office within sixty miles. Her shepherd disappeared the night before a snow storm. We had a foot of snow that night.  He was gone for a week.  Just when she had resigned herself that he was gone he showed up where she was house sitting. What a happy reunion that was!!

Anyways I will pray that you find your dd's dog. How hard to go through something like this. :grouphug:  Please keep us updated.

Oh no!! Make sure you check craigslist lost and found.  The SPCA's around here post all the dogs they find to craigslist, that is how I found my sister's dog who loves running away.

Thanks.  I'm going out to look and put up/pass around posters/flyers, but I'll tell dh to check Craigslist while I'm out...

Thanks everyone.  The post above I actually wrote before I went out and apparently forgot to hit "post".  I've called Animal Control in my town and four others.  Going to expand that as soon as I get back again.  Good point about visiting the SPCAs.  Must figure out where they all are...  Does bringing a flyer or emailing them a picture help them?

Still no word.  The rescue we got her from think he would've turned back around, but no sign of him.  If he's not back by tomorrow they want to come down and help - a guy he he knows from the rescue in NC is there and she hopes maybe he'd come for him.  I sure hope she's right and he didn't just keep on running in a straight line...

We had a new dog, years ago, she bolted from our yard when she was scared by a passing cyclist. She was gone for two days. We'd kind of given up ( we live in a very small town). Saturday night, just before going to bed, I decided to look out the door one more time. There she was! Leaning against our door. I opened up the door, scooped her up in my arm (85 lb Bernese mountain dog). Screamed and all the kids came out of their beds. It was such a miracle moment I will never forget.

Don't give up.

I'm so sorry. This is from a lost pets page:

TOP 10 WAYS TO FIND YOUR LOST PET:

Below are ten top ways to begin the search for your lost pet. Thousands of pet owners who follow this advice from the SPCA enjoy happy reunions with their lost pets, sometimes right at the SPCA counter...other times, on the streets of their neighborhoods, at animal control facilities, even in the homes of friendly community members trying to help.

*Create fliers with a photo and brief description of your pet. Not small pieces of paper, either...LARGE fliers, with a LARGE photo. Your announcement is an emergency, and must be treated that way. It needs to stand out from other informational fliers. Post the fliers ANYWHERE you're allowed... at stores, vet offices, groomers' establishments, libraries, banks, gas stations, pet supply shops, etc. Be sure to include a phone number that is always available.

*Talk to people....your mail carrier, newspaper delivery person or anyone who is regularly in your neighborhood. Knock on doors and talk to your neighbors... ask whether they have seen your pet, and be sure they check with their children. Show them your pet's photo. Leave your phone number with them. Check with local animal control officers to see if your pet is being held at a different animal facility. Please contact your city or town clerk for the phone number of your local animal control agency....but don't stop there. It's possible your animal ended up in another township and is being held by local animal control there. Consult all surrounding animal agencies.

*The search at sunrise....make yourself visible in the neighborhood during the very quiet morning hours. If your animal is fearful, he or she might feel more secure, and might be more active, in the first hour or so of daylight. Shake boxes of dog biscuits or dry pet food. Make sure you have some of your pet's food with you whenever you're searching...it'll help lure your pet if he or she is scared.

*Place ads in newspapers...the large publications and the small, community ones. Utilize on-line pet finder Web sites, but don't let that take the place of you visiting shelters personally. Also, remember to check local newspaper lost and found ads to see whether a member of another community has found your pet. Don't forget the benefits of social media...Craigslist lost and found

*Look for your pet in unusual places around your home, including storm drains, ditches, etc. If you're searching for a cat, don't forget to look UP! Your pet may not have gone far, and may even hear you calling, but might be too afraid to come out of...or down from...hiding.

*Lure your pet home with scents. Leave his or her favorite food outside in a dish (if it's a moist food, microwave it first to increase the scent). Put out your pet's favorite blanket, a litter box, even a pet bed. An animal's sense of smell is much more powerful than a human's; it's not unusual for an animal to pick up a scent from a distance. And make sure you're watching! It won't be of much help if your pet, or some other animal, enjoys dinner on the patio and then scampers away without you knowing it!

*DON'T LET PHONE CALLS GIVE YOU A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY! You and others who know your pet need to PERSONALLY VISIT the SPCA shelters and other animal shelters ON A DAILY BASIS. Do not simply call these shelters and ask them to check on whether your pet is in the building. Ten different people might describe your pet ten different ways...only YOU know which pet is yours. Set up a schedule of the people who will help you and the places they've agreed to visit.

*Phone calls WILL help, however, if you call veterinary clinics and emergency animal hospitals. Think about it...if someone finds an injured, stray animal, the first place he or she might take it is a veterinary clinic. Call and ask if they've seen your pet. Don't just call once...call every day. Very often, the people on the other end of the line will give you names and numbers of other places to call, to make your search even more thorough.

*Talk to dog walkers in your neighborhood, and in surrounding areas. Xxx boasts an effective and supportive dog walking network. They know instantly when there's a "new dog on the block," especially when the dog is alone. They even notice cats that are new to the neighborhood (or should we say, their DOGS notice the cats...!). These animal-lovers also communicate on a regular basis. Find these groups of people and give them copies of your fliers. They really do care if you find your dog or cat.

*Keep up the search. Don't give up after just a few days, or after a week. Don't even give up after two weeks. SPCA staff members have witnessed thousands of pet/owner reunions, and many took place months after the pet was originally lost. Hundreds of factors could contribute to the delay in the reunion...way too many to list, of course. Take our word for it. Don't become discouraged too quickly.

Thank you, I just printed this out for reference. :)

Another idea, take advantage of Facebook. Get a pic of the dog up on you wall and ask local friends to spread the word. If there are any local consignment sale groups for you area post the picture there asking that they spread the word. Many dogs have been found in my area by getting the word out on Facebook. If you don't have Facebook ask a friend who is local to post for you

I am beside myself, heartsick. :crying:  Dd waited and waited for us to get a dog - she finally wore us down.  She did tons of work and research to find one that was just right.  It was adorable and well-behaved and got along with the cats.  And most importantly, it was almost instantly devoted to dd.  We'd only had him just over two weeks.

Someone came to the door and stood with it partway open.  I called for them to close it, and tried to grab the dog, but out he was.  I'd kept him leashed even indoors most of the time - I was starting to let him off as he'd been so well-behaved. Dd is away at camp this week.  I wonder if he was looking for her, or just wanted to protect us from the scary person on the porch, or if he just wanted fresh air.  But once he was out, he was gone.  Ran around the yard and then galloped away.  I heard from someone I gave a flyer to last night that she heard from someone that he'd been seen over a mile away from us less than an hour after he got out. :crying:

If anyone's inclined to pray or send positive thoughts to the universe, I am really despairing that anything short of divine intervention will reunite him with us. :crying:

Find an unwashed piece of clothing that smells like whoever feeds him, and leave it out in your front yard along with some water.

Find an unwashed piece of clothing that smells like whoever feeds him, and leave it out in your front yard along with some water.

I have dd's dirty sheets hanging outside each door (one top, one bottom).  I also put a bit of food on the front porch; the back porch always gets visiting raccoons so I figure not such a good idea there...

Another idea, take advantage of Facebook. Get a pic of the dog up on you wall and ask local friends to spread the word. If there are any local consignment sale groups for you area post the picture there asking that they spread the word. Many dogs have been found in my area by getting the word out on Facebook. If you don't have Facebook ask a friend who is local to post for you

I have all my IRL Facebook-addicted friends posting for me, and a bunch of the people I dropped flyers with said they'd post it too.  I also posted with a local Facebook lost-dog reunification page (had to use one my of dd's FB account to log in, since my Facebook page is just a profile and I kinda forgot my password...)  I think they send it to tons of Animal rescues, vets, shelters and animal control offices.

Thanks everyone. The post above I actually wrote before I went out and apparently forgot to hit "post". I've called Animal Control in my town and four others. Going to expand that as soon as I get back again. Good point about visiting the SPCAs. Must figure out where they all are... Does bringing a flyer or emailing them a picture help them?

Still no word. The rescue we got her from think he would've turned back around, but no sign of him. If he's not back by tomorrow they want to come down and help - a guy he he knows from the rescue in NC is there and she hopes maybe he'd come for him. I sure hope she's right and he didn't just keep on running in a straight line...

It's so kind of them to want to come and help you search. I hope it won't be necessary, though, and that your dog is back at home safe and sound before it gets dark tonight.

Well, I just got two calls about sightings after two days of nothing.  I was getting so discouraged!

The first sighting was from yesterday (she didn't see the sign for where to call till today), and he was right near the last sighting of him, and heading up the highway off-ramp. :glare:   I'm pretty sure that was him, she mentioned he was holding his tail up (he has a curly tail that goes over his back), and seemed happy.

The second one was from someone who said she saw him in her back yard this morning.  I hope that one's real - she thought at first he was a fox (he looks very much like a fox - he's reddish-brown with black ears and nose) until she saw my flyer in her mailbox.  She said it was very early for her to see foxes, and he seemed "scrawny" to her (he's definitely finer-boned than a fox).

Dh went over there and we put out dd's pillowcase (scent) and some food to at least keep him in the area.  The woman raises dogs, so she thinks that might be why he's there.  If it's him, she might try to lure him into her dog run.

So everyone keep the prayers and good thoughts coming that this is our boy and he comes home safe and sound!!!!

Hoping you find him. :( Our dog took off a few months ago and didn't come home, he was gone all night and I feared the worst. I called the shelter and they suggested I go to facebook, our city has a fb page called Lost Pets of _____, photos of missing animals are posted as well as sightings. I posted my dog's photo on the fb page and in a couple hours I had 2 emails of people saying they had sighted our dog, at a farm across the road from them! We drove out to the area, a couple miles from our house. We found him- in a barn cozied up with a female dog!! (We had meant to get him fixed but hadn't gotten around to it, he's 1.5 yrs.). He'd been missing 2.5 days and I was certain we'd find him in a ditch. He's been home safe and happy since and today we went to visit the puppies he fathered- German shepherd/husky mother and a golden doodle father= very cute interesting mutts. ;) But he won't be fathering anymore pups and hopefully won't be running off anymore.

I get all the postings of that fb page every day so I can keep an eye out for others' missing pets, it's an awesome idea and has reunited hundreds of pets and families!

Well, we almost got him back, but now he's gone and bolted again.  He was indeed on the highway, but he'd been hiding in a spot against the highway fence behind a hotel.  He'd been seen there yesterday morning, and a friend found his den this afternoon.  We tried to have dd (whose heels always followed around at at home) approach him very slowly with treats, but he still bolted (thankfully through a hole he found in the fence, and not into highway traffic - I was standing by the road to deter that).  I think he's terrified.  Hoping for another sighting or two so we can put out a trap - I think that's the only way we'll get him back.  If he won't come to dd (she didn't get within 30 ft), he won't come to anyone...

Oh no!  My dog used to run away and would bolt like yours if approached.  We would trick him or have to corner him with multiple people coming from many directions.  One time I had to lie still on the ground for 5 minutes as he slowly crept towards me out of curiosity.  One he got close enough I grabbed him and held him till someone brought a leash.

I've also had to sit for about 3 hours in one spot (brought a book)  with him just staring at me from a distance, eventually he came over to me for attention because I ignored him the whole time.  That particular time no one was around to help me get him back so my only option was sitting and waiting

Now he just has to stop moving again so we can set a trap!  Someone reported a "small brown dog" trotting along a street that he would have come to if he kept running last night.  Unfortunately, he was going in the opposite direction from my house!  I just hope he doesn't keep going!!  Hanging more fliers today in a new area.  Sigh.

News on dog!!  Apparently he hung a right and went through a golf course, then ended up on a dead-end road (which is fortunately closer to my house).  It poured rain (and sleet) the past two days, so no sightings then, but he was seen multiple times on that road today, and one person we spoke to said she'd seen him behind her house yesterday morning too.  I am soooo happy that he's still alive and apparently perky (everyone says he's just trotting along happily, little bugger...)

So, someone from the dog recovery network is coming down tomorrow and we're setting a trap!!  Now everyone just pray that it works, because my stinky town has demanded I take down all the flyers or pay $100 per poster per day. :eek: :svengo:   The cop I talked to was actually very nice, but someone complained, so now he has to enforce the town bylaw. :glare: He said he'd write a note to the other officers that it might take me a few days to take them all down because there were so many and I might forget where I hung them all. So, we took all the ones down that are on the main drag where he'd been before, and left some up around where he is now.  But if he bolts again, we're screwed. :(

So everyone send those prayers and vibes that he sticks around and goes into the trap!!  I want my doggy home!

Guest submarines

News on dog!!  Apparently he hung a right and went through a golf course, then ended up on a dead-end road (which is fortunately closer to my house).  It poured rain (and sleet) the past two days, so no sightings then, but he was seen multiple times on that road today, and one person we spoke to said she'd seen him behind her house yesterday morning too.  I am soooo happy that he's still alive and apparently perky (everyone says he's just trotting along happily, little bugger...)

So, someone from the dog recovery network is coming down tomorrow and we're setting a trap!!  Now everyone just pray that it works, because my stinky town has demanded I take down all the flyers or pay $100 per poster per day. :eek: :svengo:   The cop I talked to was actually very nice, but someone complained, so now he has to enforce the town bylaw. :glare: He said he'd write a note to the other officers that it might take me a few days to take them all down because there were so many and I might forget where I hung them all. So, we took all the ones down that are on the main drag where he'd been before, and left some up around where he is now.  But if he bolts again, we're screwed. :(

So everyone send those prayers and vibes that he sticks around and goes into the trap!!  I want my doggy home!

I can't believe someone complained about the posters! :glare:

I hope the trap works.

I had to laugh, though, at the image of him happily trotting in the rain, tail up. Yep, little bugger!