Menu

Falafel and other Middle Eastern foods! YUM is an understatement!

sheryl

After my Dd's math class yesterday (outsourced) we stopped off at this Israeli café.  So glad we did!  My dd ordered a gyro (lamb and beef) and I ordered a falafel.  I'm crazy over this new food.  Already I'm on the internet looking for authentic falafel recipes and believe I've found "the" one.  It's meatless which I like (even though I'm not vegetarian I would like to cut way back on animal meat consumption for various reasons).  To be honest, I thought it would have to have meat in it for it to taste good.  WRONG!

It was perfect. I also ordered a fava bean dip - don't remember the name. 

What are your favorite authentic middle eastern recipes.   Will accept meat and meatless.

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't all falafal meatless?  We really like Middle Eastern food.  Doner Kebabs (Turkish gyro) are available on practically every corner in Germany (it's their top selling fast food!) and Indy is obsessed with them.  They aren't quite as easy to come by here in America, and that makes him sad.  I liked the vegetarian version, with rice and cheese in place of the meat.  YUM!  I agree on the baba ghanouj and tabouli (although I like it light on the mint).  Indy eats hummus like someone's going to come take it away from him.  We eat cous cous all the time.  I like baklawa, which is almost the same as baklava, but they use rose water and/or orange blossom for the syrup instead of honey.  Indy prefers baklava, because he's crazy for honey.  We ate a ton of delicious stuff when we were in Egypt and Turkey, but I have no idea what any of it was.  :)

Red Lentil Soup

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
5-6 c beef broth
2 c red lentils
16 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper

Combine everything in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 40-50 minutes, adding more beef broth if needed. Serve with plain yogurt, if desired.

Kichree

4 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp cumin seed
1 cup rice (washed and drained)
1 cup red lentils (washed and drained)
1 tsp salt
Crushed red pepper (or black)
2 Tbsp tomato paste
Yogurt

In a frying pan, saute the garlic in oil briefly, then add the cumin, tomato paste, rice, and lentils. Stir over low heat till coated with oil. Cover with 4 cups boiling water, add salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes, adding water if necessary. Stir before serving and top with plain yogurt. 

Koshary

Equal parts cooked brown lentils, rice, and macaroni

Spicy tomato sauce

The easiest way to cook lentils, rice and pasta is to boil water in a big pot, then add 1/2 cup of lentils. Cook for 20 minutes, then add 1/2 cup of rice. Cook for 12 more minutes, then add the pasta. Cook for 8 more minutes and everything should be done. Change the proportions as desired. Serve in individual bowls topped with tomato sauce. If you like, you can cook the lentils, rice, and pasta separately and serve them in layers as is done in Cairo.

Sauce:
1-2 pounds fresh tomatoes, or use canned
Lots of garlic
Lots of crushed red pepper
Vinegar
Salt

Saute the garlic briefly in oil, then add the tomatoes. Cook them down, then add the red pepper and the vinegar and salt. This is a sharp and spicy sauce that needs more vinegar than you might think.

Mujaddarah 

1 1/2 c brown lentils
1 c rice
Salt
Pepper

Onions

Cook lentils in 1.5 quarts of water for 20 minutes. Add the rice, salt, pepper, and enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. While cooking, fry thinly sliced onions in olive oil till crisp to use as a garlic. Serve with plain yogurt, or yogurt-garlic sauce.

Yogurt-garlic sauce
2 cups drained yogurt (32 oz of yogurt drained will yield two cups), or use Greek yogurt
1/2 c water
2-4 cloves garlic, crushed
Salt

Combine water and yogurt till very smooth, then add garlic and salt (and lemon juice if desired) to taste. Don't add too much- the garlic shouldn't be overpowering.

Tahina

1/4 cup tahini
3 Tbsp cold water
Salt
3 Tbsp lemon juice
2 cloves garlic

Combine tahini and water till the mixture whitens and comes together- if you keep stirring, you'll see the change. Add lemon juice, garlic, and salt to taste.

Bulgur Pilaf with Tomatoes, Onions, and Yogurt

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 Roma tomatoes, grated, or 8 oz crushed tomatoes, or 1-2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups bulgur
3 cups boiling chicken broth
1 tsp salt
Plain yogurt

Heat oil in frying pan and saute onion till soft, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and simmer 10 minutes (less time if they were canned tomatoes). Add bulgur and salt, stir well, then add boiling broth. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes, till bulgur is soft. Remove from heat, stir well, and let sit 5-10 more minutes before serving with yogurt.

Bulgur Pilaf or Rice Pilaf

2 Tbsp olive oil 
1 cups broken spaghetti (one-inch pieces) 
2 cups bulgur
1 tsp salt
3 cups boiling chicken broth
Pepper

Heat oil over medium high heat in a medium pot. Add spaghetti and saute till golden. Add bulgur and salt and stir well. Pour in the boiling broth and boil 3 minutes. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

To make rice pilaf, use 3/4 c spaghetti, 1 1/2 cups rice instead of the bulgur, and boil for 1 minute before simmering for 18 minutes.

Potatoes with Tomatoes and Feta

2 T oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 c tomato sauce, or as needed (I like to use crushed tomatoes too)
2 c water, or as needed
4 T fresh parsley
Salt and pepper
2 lbs potatoes, cut into thick wedges (Yukon Gold are best, but use what you have)
Feta

In a large frying pan, cook the onion in the oil till golden. Add the garlic, tomato sauce, water, parsley, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, add the potatoes, cover tightly, lower the heat, and simmer 30 minutes till the potatoes are cooked and the sauce is thick. Serve with feta on top. 

Falafel can be tricky, in my experience, to get just right.  Sometimes the balls fall apart in the oil, but they're still good.  There are baked recipes, but I haven't had much success with them.  You can sometimes find them frozen in Middle Eastern grocery stores.

I like them with salad made with onion, tomato, cucumber, parsley, and lemon....and tzatziki.  I made mine using greek yogurt, one chopped fine English cucumber (the long skinny kind), 2-3 tablespoons of garlic minced or put through a garlic press, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and a few glugs of olive oil.

For gyro/doner kebab, it's hard to do at home.  Alton Brown has a recipe, but to me, it just isn't the same.  A lot of Middle Eastern/Halal stores do serve food (just like Indian grocery stores).  

This is the current chicken dish that we make all the time.  http://julienjulia.blogspot.com/2013/08/chicken-shawarma-fatta.html

Thanks everyone!  Keep the ideas coming, PLEASE!

Amira, I appreciate your effort and you're making me :drool5:   LOL!

Mazakaal,  I haven't made falafel yet as I just ate my first yesterday.  I researched and found this one that looks/sounds good.  This recipe, or another one, says that you can use chickpea and/or fava bean.  I also read that parsley and OR cilantro can be used.  YUM!!  How neat is that!!!

What I like about the falafel is not only the taste but the texture too.  It's chunky like a meatball.  My dh and dd who like meat "may" be able to stomache the falafel well b/c it's got the texture/size like that of a meatball/patty.

http://theshiksa.com/2011/01/05/falafel/

Ingredients
  • 1 pound (about 2 cups) dry chickpeas/garbanzo beans
  • 1 small onion, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 3-5 cloves garlic (I prefer roasted)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp flour
  • 1 3/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • Pinch of ground cardamom
  • Vegetable oil for frying (grapeseed, canola, and peanut oil work well)
You will also need
  • Food processor, skillet

Servings: 30-34 falafels
Kosher Key: Pareve

Egyptians traditionally use fava beans (also called fuul) or a fava/chickpea combo.  Everybody else uses chickpeas.  If you do buy fuul, buy the skinless dried kind.

This was my favorite recipe. It came from a cookbook called "The New York Cookbook" by Molly O'Neill.  My husband loves tahini, but I'm more of a  tzatziki girl.  (Luckily, I found this online so I didn't have to retype. :))

Moshe's Falafel

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound dried chick peas -- soaked overnight
3 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 large onion -- finely chopped
1/3 cup fresh parsley -- chopped
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda, disolved in 1/2 cup water
vegetable oil for deep frying

To serve as a sandwich: Place 4 falafel balls in the pocket of one pita. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the sesame sauce and 1 tablespoon hot sauce (to taste) over the falafel. Add some of the lettuce and tomato, a drizzle more of the two sauces, and top with a pickle. Continue assembling the remaining falafel

To serve as hors d'oeuvre: Make a dipping sauce of 2 parts sesame sauce and 1 part hot sauce. Place a bowl of the sauce in the center of a platter lined with lettuce leaves. Fry and drain the falafel, skewer each with a toothpick, arrange around the dipping sauce and serve.

In a food processor or blender, grind the soaked chick peas. Add the garlic, onion, parsley, coriander, cumin, salt, and baking soda mixture. Process until smooth.

In a large, wide pot, heat oil to a depth of 3 inches until very hot, but not smoking. With a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop, form the falafel mixture into balls the size of golf balls, using a flat knife or spatula to smooth out the scoop. Carefully slide the falafel into the oil. Continue shaping falafel and adding them to the oil, but do not crowd the pot. Cook the falafel until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Turn and continue to cook until golden brown all over, about 3 minutes more. Remove the falafel from the pot with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels or paper bags. Keep warm while continuing to fry the falafel until all the mixture is used.

- Sesame Sauce: 1 c. tahini paste 1 clove garlic, crushed juice of 1 lemon 1/4 c. cold water 1/4 tsp. salt dash of black pepper Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes 1 1/2 cups

- Hot Sauce 1 1/2 c. tomato sauce 1/2 tsp. dried red pepper flakes 1/4 tsp. salt dash of black pepper Combine all the ingredients in a non-reactive small saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reduces slightly and thickly coats the back of a spoon, 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the sauce to cool to room temperature. Serve. Makes 1 1/2 cups.

I agree 100%! I am also guilty of converting others to wonders of Falafel. 

When DS was little he went to private preschool for children with language disorders. It was 20 minutes from the BEST falafel sandwich I have ever eaten but it only opened 20 minutes before I had to pick DS up. I made the mad dash once a week. 

We went to Tarkha Indian Restaurant for our 10th anniversary.

Not quite as good as Cedar's in Seattle. (I'm STILL looking for something to replace their wonderful butter masala; though I hear its gone downhill since we left 5 years ago and there is a new best Mediterranean restaurant in the University District) but we found a new dish we like -- Korma. And we want to try the Saag the next time we go.

I loooooove falafel and fattoush.  I could eat them both everyday.  When my friends and I go out to eat we all always want falafel!  :)  I've tried, and failed, so many times to make it at home that I just go out for it now.  Good luck if you try making it!  I hope it works for you.  :)

We love falafel. If you have trouble with it staying together, add more flour. It should be like cookie dough. Also, I freeze parsley in water so I always have parsley on hand. I need to pressure can more garbanzo beans so I have them ready to use. I always start with canned beans. Just a preference thing.

Does anyone have a good vegetarian moussaka recipe?  The one I tried was disappointing. 

Baba ganoush, hummus and homemade pita and naan are favorites here.

Falafel is delicious, but it's hit and miss if it holds together. 

Greek salad and rice pilaf are good sides.

I don't care for tabouleh, but my kids like it.

There are some Persian dishes that have blown me away.  This is an area I need to explore in my own kitchen. Any recipes Amira?

I don't have very many Persian recipes typed up but you've reminded me that I've been wanting to fix that.  I have some good Tajik, Afghan, and Parsi recipes that are good too if you like Persian recipes. I'll try to work on typing some tonight. And Najmieh Batmanglij's books are a very good place to start.

I don't have very many Persian recipes typed up but you've reminded me that I've been wanting to fix that.  I have some good Tajik, Afghan, and Parsi recipes that are good too if you like Persian recipes. I'll try to work on typing some tonight. And Najmieh Batmanglij's books are a very good place to start.

Sending you air kisses!

If you want to spend some wonderful and virtual eating time in the Middle East, Claudia Roden's books will do the trick. Many's the night in the 80s that I spent curled up in bed far, far away in that part of the world drinking it all in. Her books are a combination recipe-travelogue. I think many of the books are OOP but easily acquired through abebooks. And as for the actual food, nothing like a good fattoush salad with some grilled lamb.

I was never from the Middle East in a former life.  I really don't like any of the food.  I love to try new things, but nope, I have not liked any of it that I have tried.

I'll keep trying stuff because who knows maybe there is something I will like.

If you'd been at the zoo with us yesterday, my friend would have shared her Za'atar bread.

THANKS y'all.  

Wonderful - so many tasty sounding recipes!  I need to acquaint myself with them and then to the kitchen!!  :) 

OK, the name of the fava bean dip is Foul Dip.    Need I say - YUMMY, again!

Amira,  would you explain the Tahina recipe?  How do you use it?  I thought tahini paste, in the jar, was ground chick pea and the base for hummus?  Explain, please! 

THANKS y'all.  

Wonderful - so many tasty sounding recipes!  I need to acquaint myself with them and then to the kitchen!!  :)

OK, the name of the fava bean dip is Foul Dip.    Need I say - YUMMY, again!

Amira,  would you explain the Tahina recipe?  How do you use it?  I thought tahini paste, in the jar, was ground chick pea and the base for hummus?  Explain, please! 

Tahini/tahina is sesame paste which is used in lots of recipes.  Some people use tahini to refer to the paste itself and tahina to refer to a sauce made with tahini.  So for the recipe I posted, you use plain sesame seed paste to make a sauce with additional ingredients that has pretty much the same name.  It's really good with falafel or ta'amiya (the fried bean balls that are like falafel except make with fuul) and lots of other things. And you've reminded me that I have a recipe for tahina-smothered fish that's amazing.

Fuul is amazing too. :)  And za'atar...

I found some more things on my blog that I love. :)

Za'atar is really good with onions, garlic, and garbanzos.  Just saute some onions and garlic, then add the za'atar (and salt and pepper to taste) and a bunch of cooked chickpeas till everything's hot and toasty.

Here is an amazing sweet bread with tahini.

Tahini-Smothered Fish

1 pound fish
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 T lemon juice

Combine the above in a 9x9 baking dish and put in the fridge for an hour, if there's time.

Meanwhile, cut an onion into quarters or eighths and cook over medium heat in 1-2 T olive oil till it's golden brown, about 15 minutes.

Also, make some tahini sauce. In a blender, combine 1/2 c tahini, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 cup lemon juice, and 1/2 cup cold water and blend till smooth.

Heat the oven to 375/190. Cover the prepared baking dish with foil and bake for about 10 minutes. Pull it out of the oven and cut the fish into bite-sized pieces with a knife or kitchen shears. Stir in the onions and top with the tahini sauce. Bake for 15 more minutes. Serve hot or warm.

Oh, Amira!  Thanks so much.  Oh silly me!  Got it - tahini is sesame! 

I eat fish (cod, salmon, mahi mahi), but I don't eat fish tacos! Ha.  I probably wouldn't like fish gyros.  But, the lamb/beef gyros - yea boy.  We eat the beef/lamb gyros. 

In my post 10, is this recipe a true falafel recipe then or that fried bean ball b/c this recipe uses chickpeas and/or fava beans. 

Also, falafel and falafel w/hummus - different how?

Recipes for foul dip?  Hummus?  I LOVE garlic, spicy (jalepeno), red pepper, etc.

Hummus is the Arabic word for chickpea. So falafel w/hummus I'm assuming means falafel made with chickpeas.

I make hummus…by throwing a can of chickpeas into the food processor, 4 cloves of garlic, a few big tablespoons of tahini, 1-2 lemons squeezed, some salt, a little cumin, whir it together….add in some cold water and olive oil.    (I like mine lemony, not everybody does, so you could even use as juice from 1/2 a lemon.) 

You could also blend in some Greek yogurt at the end which would be nontraditional, but still good. :)

Fuul we eat as a hot breakfast dish, but for the dip, it's basically the same as for hummus.  Just a different bean, and I don't think you need the tahini.  (BTW, I think Alton Brown tells you that one can use peanut butter in place of tahini. DON"T DO IT. It is not the same at all.  Better to omit it all together. On a side note, best place to buy tahini IMHO is Amazon.)

If you're ever barbecuing, take an eggplant, prick it with a fork, and throw it on the grill at the end until it's black all over.  It will collapse.  Take the skin off (comes off easily…might not all come off, no big deal), puree it and add in 2-3 cloves of garlic, couple of spoonfuls of tahini, salt, a little lemon juice, maybe a glug or two of olive oil, and some chopped Italian parsley… blend it again…et voila, baba ghanoush. :)

My husband and I lived in the Middle East when we were first married and he was learning Arabic.  We LOVED the food.  We have continued to eat it often over the years, and have found it relatively inexpensive too.  When we were either in Jordan or Egypt (can't remember anymore!) we had fava beans for breakfast every day.  At first I thought it tasted strange for breakfast but after awhile I learned to love it.  We'd pour a little olive oil on top of them, and garlic, and eat it with a side of pita bread.  Yum!

umsami, thanks for that recipe.  that seems easy!  we grill quite often so this will be easy. are you saying the eggplant will "blister" black?  I think that's what you're saying.  that sounds too good. 

jjhat7,  do you have another variation for the fava beans?  it sounds delicious and can't wait!

OK, does anyone have an authentic recipe for pita bread?  Is it easy to make?

It's also really easy to make tahini.  I've had to do it a lot when I've lived in places where I could get sesame seeds but not tahini.  Just roast a bunch of sesame seeds in the oven at 350 till they're golden (keep an eye on them and stir periodically).  Blend with a little oil, if needed, into paste.  

Good flatbread is easy to make.  Pita doesn't necessarily have a pocket, but if you want a pocket, it can take a little practice to get it right.  

Yes, it will get all black on the outside kind of like when you roast peppers.  If there's space, I'll put it on the grill when I'm grilling whatever…but if not, when I'm done, I just put it on and let it cook while the fire dies.

For breakfast fuul, here are two versions… Basic: take a can of fuul beans (buy them in an Arabic or Halal store)…. and put them in a frying pan…. then you want to mash some of the beans with a fork (at least half), add in some chopped garlic, salt , pepper, maybe a little cumin…and some olive oil… could also add a spoonful of tahini.  Take off the heat, serve with pita, possibly hard boiled eggs, and put some chopped flat leaf parsley on top to garnish.

Version two: Start by sautéing some chopped onions in olive oil until clear…then add in some chopped tomatoes… cook for a few minutes…then add the fuul, mash it, and follow directions above.

Almost any bread can be pita-fied…rolling it flat and the temperature is key.  Baking stones help, but sometimes you'll get a pocket, not always.  

Here's one recipe: http://breakurfast.wordpress.com/2011/10/30/egyptian-pita-aish-baladi/

Here's another: http://mideastfood.about.com/od/breadsrice/r/pitabreadrecipe.htm

I've made it using the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes basic dough too.  (I usually do 1/2 whole wheat 1/2 all purpose flour.)

It can be really good to sprinkle on za'atar or sesame seeds on the bread before it bakes.  Turkish people also like to use nigella seeds.  I buy my zaatar at http://www.nuts.com/cookingbaking/herbsspices/zaatar.html  You can also make old pita taste better by brushing with olive oil, adding some zaatar and heating in the oven. 

But…I've made a basic homemade version using dried oregano, sesame seeds, and kosher salt.  (equal portions)  Ideally you could add in some sumac or dried thyme too….

Fuul we eat as a hot breakfast dish, but for the dip, it's basically the same as for hummus.  Just a different bean, and I don't think you need the tahini.  (BTW, I think Alton Brown tells you that one can use peanut butter in place of tahini. DON"T DO IT. It is not the same at all.  Better to omit it all together. On a side note, best place to buy tahini IMHO is Amazon.)

If you're ever barbecuing, take an eggplant, prick it with a fork, and throw it on the grill at the end until it's black all over.  It will collapse.  Take the skin off (comes off easily…might not all come off, no big deal), puree it and add in 2-3 cloves of garlic, couple of spoonfuls of tahini, salt, a little lemon juice, maybe a glug or two of olive oil, and some chopped Italian parsley… blend it again…et voila, baba ghanoush. :)

Is there a good substitute for the tahini? I LOVE baba ghanoush, but dd is allergic to sesame seeds :( I've made it a few times without, but the taste is kinda meh.

I love middle eastern food, but with dd's & my allergies it just doesn't happen. Between the two of us we are allergic to pretty much all the beans / seeds / spices commonly used :( Sure wish we weren't! We can't even shop at the halal grocery because they roast chickpeas constantly & have them in open bins all over the place, and both dd & I are airborne allergic.

I love middle eastern food, but with dd's & my allergies it just doesn't happen. Between the two of us we are allergic to pretty much all the beans / seeds / spices commonly used :( Sure wish we weren't! We can't even shop at the halal grocery because they roast chickpeas constantly & have them in open bins all over the place, and both dd & I are airborne allergic.

That is far beyond tragic. That is infinitely worse than my dislike of tahini. Amira will be under the doona sobbing when she reads this.

That is far beyond tragic. That is infinitely worse than my dislike of tahini. Amira will be under the doona sobbing when she reads this.

The tears are pouring down my face.  I don't think I can take the tragedy of this thread any longer. I wish for new tastebuds for Rosie and no allergies for Ameena and her daughter.