Menu

s/o How do you stop dog owners from

Excelsior! Academy

I love my dogs. I clean up after my dogs. And it irritates me to no end when other dog owners do this! It makes us all look like lazy bums! It's like the one crazy homeschooler that makes the lot of us look bad. :glare:

If you can catch the dog in the act, hand the neighbor a baggie, and tell them that they need to clean up after their little friend. (You may have to do this multiple times.) Hopefully you can shame the neighbor into doing the right thing, or just annoy him enough that he keeps the dog out of your yard.

Where we live, it's illegal not to clean up after your own dog.

Do you know which neighbors are letting their dogs use your yard as a bathroom? If so, you could do as others have suggested and hand them a plastic bag (because you noticed they must have forgotten theirs ;)) or if you don't like confrontation, you could sneak a little unsigned note onto their mailbox reminding them of their responsibility to clean up after their dogs.

We have open up the front door and asked them to pick it up that it isnt safe for our dog or our child to leave their dog mess in our yard and offered them a bag.  Only one person got hostile.  She was in her 50s/ early 60s and not disabled and said it was our yard our problem (this was not her first time we asked to  pick up).  So we watch where she walked to and called City Hall and ask how to handle the situation and her address.  They sent a letter to her about the laws and how it has come to their attention there were pet owners in the area no taking care of pet waste so they would be on patrol and those caught not picking up or having their animal off leash would pay a hefty fine. Animal control and the Health department were around daily instead of randomly for about 60days.  We must not have been the only one complaining but the only dog we have to worry about is the neighbors and well they are always going to let the kids and dogs free range but at least the dog only goes in the one area my dd has no interest in playing

We had to move to the country, but we wanted to anyway. Had a corner lot, and the neighbors all thought our yard along both streets were their dogs' personal property. Not fun at all.

We had this exact experience and were never able to get people to stop having their dogs poop on our yard. Furthermore all the dogs who pooped on our lawn were on leashes and their owners stopped, let them poop, and then walked on. I went to a lot of trouble to make our yard cute, so it wasn't that people thought we didn't care how the lawn looked, they were just jerks about it.

We live out in the country now, but this was a problem at a prior residence.  We had a neighbor whose dog thought our front yard was its personal potty.  My DD was small and frequently played in the front yard with a different neighbor's children.  Sometimes barefooted.  I was not amused.  We had many, many conversations about the pottying puppy, but the standard line was, "Oh my goodness, not my darling pooch.  I watch him all the time."  Umm, no you don't.  He's frequently loose (as in, let out every morning into the front yard to do his business in MY front yard when they have a fenced back yard themselves) and I SEE him pooping in my yard.  Eventually, I got fed up.  The next time I saw it happen, I broke out the pooper scooper (you know, the one I used to clean up after MY dog in MY yard) and returned my neighbor's property to him.  On his doorstep.  With a sweet note, saying "Your dog left something that belongs to him in my yard and I'm returning it."  The neighber stopped talking to me, but we NEVER had the problem again.

I don't know that I'd recommend this plan to others, because it's no fun having a neighbor who hates you.  On the upside, he remained friendly with DH.