Menu

What are your favorite Penzey's spices?

HappyGrace

Salt-free would be especially great! Need to go lower sodium and hoping good spices will help. What are your favorites? (some salt is ok)

I'm hoping for really great to-die-for type spices that are worth spending the money on (they're kind of $$ for our budget, but I don't mind getting them if they're great!)

And do you like Tuscan Sunset? Someone recommended it to put in white bean hummus, but I wanted to check if it's well liked first before I buy it!

I have a recipe for you for taco meat that is yummy, we usually use ground turkey but you can do hamburger:

A few tbsp oragano

Maybe 2 tsp chili powder

1 tbsp black pepper

1 tsp garlic powder (not garlic salt, the powder, it is sodium free)

I just dump, these are approximate, cook meat first, add spices and water and simmer

Also, a warning:

My MIL went low sodium, she was very diligent about it, many doctors tell you lower than you should really go because almost no one is diligent about reading everything and cutting down really low. She started having symptoms of low sodium, she didn't realize it at first because they hadn't warned her or told her about the problems with too little sodium. She added in a few potato chips (which she loves and missed!) and is better.

I like Arizona Dreaming, Sweet Curry Powder, and he Bavarian Seasoning. For regular spices I like the ancho chili powder, chipotle chili powder, and smoked spanish paprika.

It's cheaper per ounce to buy the bagged version. You could transfer to your own container or they sell some in the store.

Sign up for their catalog because it comes with a coupon for a free spice several times per year. It is usually their newest spice. The most recent catalog came with a coupon for their new frozen pizza spice. Another catalog should come out around early summer.

My most used blends are Forward (got this as a freebie and it is so good!), poultry seasoning, and Tuscan Sunset. For individual spices, I regularly use their freshly ground pepper, cumin, basil, thyme, oregano, paprika, and cinnamon.

I make my own taco seasoning (chili powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, mexican oregano, garlic, onion, black pepper) and Caribbean blend (garlic, cumin, chili powder, allspice, black pepper, and cinnamon--combined with olive oil and freshly chopped parsley this makes a great marinade). I include salt in these but you can opt out or just use a tiny bit.

Pizza seasoning. Herbes de Provence. Their breakfast sausage mix is pretty decent too. 

Otherwise, we love Indonesian cinnamon, ancho pepper, aleppo pepper, cardamom in their pods, whole nutmeg, black Tellicherry pepper, cumin, almond extract, kosher salt. 

If I could only get 3 things it would be Tellicherry pepper (so much better than anything at the store), ancho pepper (use it instead of "chili" powder in everything), and pizza seasoning (it brought a whole new dimension to our pizzas). 

It's cheaper per ounce to buy the bagged version. You could transfer to your own container or they sell some in the store.

Agreed. Be careful, though...eight ounces of, say, dried basil is a LOT of basil. I bought what I thought was a moderate amount of oregano and wound up with a bag roughly the size of a small bed pillow. We were using oregano in everything. I may never hear the end of that.

I love the Tuscan Sunset!  Also Arizona Dreaming and Forward that were mentioned.

I really like both Old World and Northwoods- though they have salt added, so if you try them, you'll want to use a light hand on them.

Their smoked paprika is great, the curry powders, and the ancho chile powder are regulars for me as well.

Really, the only thing I've ever tried of theirs and not thought worth the price was the cocoa powder.  I tend to buy my Penzey's spices in the larger bags, and then I store those in the freezer- refilling my spice jars as needed from the freezer.

Really, the only thing I've ever tried of theirs and not thought worth the price was the cocoa powder.  

I agree. The cocoa is fine, but nothing special. I get my cocoa at Trader Joe's now (though i do always feel like I'm cheating on Penzey's when I do).

We love the cinnamon, curry powders, chili powder, Fajita seasoning and lamb seasoning. I make my own taco seasoning and Greek. 

I do like some of the blends - Northwoods and Forward (makes great meatloaf). 

I need to branch out and try some new things and this thread has some good suggestions! Thanks for posting!

I think I own every one of their herb blends, always find a use for them. Will try to grab a list if what I have. Also like having salad dressing seasoning on hand when I am feeling lazy.

There is a physical store here and I go 2x a year to stock up and buy extras.