Menu

Would Dallas or Houston be better for homeschooling?

tammyw

DH just got an offer for a job in Texas. It sounds like he could choose to live in Dallas or Houston. I've never been to Texas and have always said no way to Texas (I hate humidity and prefer milder temps). But this would probably only be a couple years.

He hasn't decided to take it yet (also considering several other options).

Which would be better for homeschooling? Which would have more opportunities? My daughter wants a good ballet school. We just would want to pick the place that would offer the most for a few years. Since it would be shorter term, we would want to rent a pretty house with a pool.

Thoughts?

Either place will have fantastic opportunities for home schooling. Houston is nearer the beach, although the beaches are not fabulous by any stretch. Dallas will have somewhat lower humidity than Houston, but also colder winters. 

Both are very diverse areas, and with large metro areas, so when you narrow it down to "Houston" or "Dallas" you will want to research what part of town, where the job is located, what area to live, and what cost of living/housing is like in each area; both metro areas offer a wide variety in cost, etc. depending on part of town, and you & your husband would need to weigh distance/commute time vs. house prices to see if the area near is job is affordable, or if he'll have to live further away and commute; you'd want to talk with locals about that, because things that can look very near on Google Maps can end up being very long commutes if everyone who lives that direction is also traveling to work in the same direction as your DH would be.

Texans/locals tend to say "Houston" and mean a large metro area that can take an hour or more to get from one outside perimeter to the opposite, just due to it being such a sprawling metroplex. LIkewise Texans tend to refer to the whole Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex as "Dallas" (although people who live there are usually more specific), and that area also covers a very large span. So, definitely get some specifics on where the company is located, once you decide which general area you prefer. 

:iagree:

Yep. She nailed it. I grew up in the DFW area (Arlington, specifically) and have many friends who homeschool there, including my brother and his wife.  I have lived most recently in Houston (Sugar Land, specifically), and have many friends who homeschool there.  We're nearing the end of a job stint in New Orleans, and I can't wait to get back to Texas for more homeschooling opportunities.  We'll be moving back to Houston, but both areas have TONS of options.  

Houston is muggier, for sure, but I prefer the more temperate weather there to the swings in DFW.  DFW is colder in the winter and hotter in the summer than Houston, but overall less humid.  

Either place will have fantastic opportunities for home schooling. Houston is nearer the beach, although the beaches are not fabulous by any stretch. Dallas will have somewhat lower humidity than Houston, but also colder winters.

Both are very diverse areas, and with large metro areas, so when you narrow it down to "Houston" or "Dallas" you will want to research what part of town, where the job is located, what area to live, and what cost of living/housing is like in each area; both metro areas offer a wide variety in cost, etc. depending on part of town, and you & your husband would need to weigh distance/commute time vs. house prices to see if the area near is job is affordable, or if he'll have to live further away and commute; you'd want to talk with locals about that, because things that can look very near on Google Maps can end up being very long commutes if everyone who lives that direction is also traveling to work in the same direction as your DH would be.

Texans/locals tend to say "Houston" and mean a large metro area that can take an hour or more to get from one outside perimeter to the opposite, just due to it being such a sprawling metroplex. LIkewise Texans tend to refer to the whole Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex as "Dallas" (although people who live there are usually more specific), and that area also covers a very large span. So, definitely get some specifics on where the company is located, once you decide which general area you prefer.

This is more of a regional position, so he wouldn't really be in an office much, hence the flexibility of where we would live. I'm not so worried about cost of living - it would be a comfortable salary, and we currently live in San Diego (expensive!)

Texas isn't my dream spot by any stretch but hoping I could make the best of it for a few years.

This is more of a regional position, so he wouldn't really be in an office much, hence the flexibility of where we would live. I'm not so worried about cost of living - it would be a comfortable salary, and we currently live in San Diego (expensive!)

Texas isn't my dream spot by any stretch but hoping I could make the best of it for a few years.

Just know that homes can vary wildly from one area to another, even in specific cities. For ex, we are currently house hunting in the Sugar Land area -- one neighborhood has homes in the $150K to $200K range, whereas a neighborhood down the road has homes in the $250K to $350K range, whereas yet another neighborhood has homes in the $500K to $1 million range. So, you're likely to find things in any price range, but certain areas will be higher than others, and you'll want to ask locals about that when you are looking at where to live. 

If he's traveling a lot you might want to look at proximity to the airport(s) then, as well, and see if he would need to be closer to the international airport or the smaller local airport in either place (both metro areas have a large international airport and a smaller one that serves much of the US; in Houston it's IAH and HOU (Intercontinental and Hobby), in Dallas it's DFW and Love Field).

Or if he'll be doing a lot of driving to clients/customers in the area, then you'll want to look at proximity to the main highways he would need. So, for Houston, probably proximity to Beltway 8/Sam Houston Tollway, or if he would travel east/west, proximity to I-10, north/south, proximity to 59 or 45,  etc. I'm not sure the highways for Dallas (well, 20 for east/west, and I think 45 for north/south). And then decide if you want a home inside the loop or outside the loop, depending on if you prefer to be nearer the museums and such, or in more of a suburban feel. 

Texas is really a fantastic place to live, so I imagine you'll be fine. 

Go for Dallas. LOVED it there! We lived in the White Rock Lake area near Lake HIghlands and it was wonderful. Schools are not all that great, but lots of homeschooling opportunities. Wish we could go back. I do know of a great church and a great Montessori school for early elementary if you need a recommendation. :D

Houston was too muggy for us!

We just moved from DFW to Houston area.  Homeschooling is great in both places.  Big differences for us have been that it was easier to get around the metroplex in Dallas versus Houston.  It "feels" like it takes forever to get anywhere in Houston.   :)  But we are still adjusting.  It is MUCH easier and faster to get around Texas from Houston.   :)  We have been able to visit Austin (state capital, lakes, music), San Marcos (river, water park, caves), and San Antonio (riverwalk, alamo) this year alone because from our location in Houston (far west burbs) is MUCH closer than when we lived in Dallas (far north burbs).  We have also been to the beach 6-7 times including the past 2 weekends.  I'm not a fan of sand, but the kids have been in heaven.  Day trips every time.  I did NOT miss the snow in Dallas this year.   :)  FTR, I have been traveling to Houston from Dallas every 1-2 months for the past 10 years to see family so I at least knew what I was getting into with this move.  DH grew up in Houston, but not me.  Also, you are much closer to New Orleans and South Padre in Houston.   :)

I'm still confused!

We lived in Hawaii (Oahu) for three years and were spoiled by the incredible beaches and water there. Living here in San Diego, we rarely hit the beaches because they just don't appeal in the same way.

I hate humidity, but it sounds like we probably shouldn't choose based on weather, because I'll probably hate the weather in both places.

Still hoping that his "first choice" in jobs comes through, but we might not know for a while on that, and it would probably be foolish to pass up one good opportunity.

Since you wrote that you plan to rent a house, it would be a toss up, based on your housing plans. However, if you were planning to buy a house, then probably Houston would be a better investment, because there is about to be a huge expansion on the Gulf Coast, of the petrochemical industry, and it will probably create tons of new jobs and tons of people looking for housing. This has to do with LNG (Liquified Natural Gas).  

That said, others have written, correctly, that Houston seems to be more "centrally located", with regard to other places you can go for long weekends, etc. Corpus Christi, Padre Island, San Antonio, Austin, the Rio Grande Valley, the Mexican border cities etc., just seem closer to the metropolitan Houston area. Because they are closer...

I lived in North Central Texas for 28 years, so the majority of my knowledge is of that area (Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex and nearby). 

Both places have their advantages and their disadvantages. Fabulous airline service to/from DFW and IAH so that would not be a factor for your DH.

If you hate humidity, choose the Dallas area.

I understand they are both humid, but Houston more so. My friend, who knows me quite well, said that I would hate the weather in either place, so might as well pick a place based on what it would offer us most as a family and for homeschooling. That's where I'm still so confused!

Now I'm curious!!!

oh, I was just babbling.  I figured you didn't need my stream of consciousness thoughts about the three areas. LOL I do consider them three areas, though (Dallas and suburbs, FW and suburbs, and Houston and suburbs), as Dallas and FW are pretty different culturally.  I would personally rank them: 

FW

Houston

Dallas

But as far as homeschooling goes? Any will be good!

Prediction tomorrow is low 64, high 78 in Dallas.  

Dallas area is not humid.  In fact, I have a whole house humidifier on my "add soon" list.  

Just based on lack of humidity, Dallas would win for me. I really, really, really hate humidity. When we were in Hawaii, we lived in a house that didn't have an air conditioner for the first five months. I was REALLY miserable for those five months. It was over 90F every day with ridiculous humidity. It was the only time in my life that I enjoyed cold showers. And five minutes after my shower ended, I'd be dying and a sweaty mess again. The day we moved into a house with air conditioning (almost no one in Hawaii has air), was the day I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Bliss.

I also hate what humidity does to my hair. I have wavy/frizzy/coarse hair. I blow it dry straight every couple days and don't have to wash it for two or three days and it stays nice. Humidity just makes it dry, coarse and frizzy, and makes me feel like I have a nest on my head. Really uncomfortable, lol!

It looks like the Dallas office would be at:

Live Oak Street

Dallas

For a reasonable commute (on second look, he would be at the office a good bit), where would we consider living? (prefer 40 minutes or Less commute). My husband would prefer to buy, but I'm terrified of buying as then it means we'd be staying for a while. But I am totally sick of renting. That is the price of moving around every few years though, sigh.

Just based on lack of humidity, Dallas would win for me. I really, really, really hate humidity. When we were in Hawaii, we lived in a house that didn't have an air conditioner for the first five months. I was REALLY miserable for those five months. It was over 90F every day with ridiculous humidity. It was the only time in my life that I enjoyed cold showers. And five minutes after my shower ended, I'd be dying and a sweaty mess again. The day we moved into a house with air conditioning (almost no one in Hawaii has air), was the day I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Bliss.

I also hate what humidity does to my hair. I have wavy/frizzy/coarse hair. I blow it dry straight every couple days and don't have to wash it for two or three days and it stays nice. Humidity just makes it dry, coarse and frizzy, and makes me feel like I have a nest on my head. Really uncomfortable, lol!

It looks like the Dallas office would be at:

Live Oak Street

Dallas

For a reasonable commute (on second look, he would be at the office a good bit), where would we consider living? (prefer 40 minutes or Less commute). My husband would prefer to buy, but I'm terrified of buying as then it means we'd be staying for a while. But I am totally sick of renting. That is the price of moving around every few years though, sigh.

Dallas has humidity. You are not going to find a place in east Texas without humidity. Especially if you are used to a So-Cal type climate, Dallas has lots of humidity. Houston has lots of humidity as well. One thing that makes Houston more bearable for me in the summer is that since it's close to the ocean, you do get a constant breeze. That helps immensely. I grew up in a place with horrible humidity, but no breeze. That breeze helps to make things a little more bearable than otherwise.

The one thing I can say for Dallas that is not true for Houston is that Dallas has more of a four season climate than Houston. Houston is generally warm and even in the winter you will find days where shorts and short sleeves are needed. This winter has been the first one in a while that I've been able to pack away our summer clothes for all of winter, but this winter has been abnormally cold for pretty much every one.

Also, I've heard that Dallas is horrible for allergy sufferers. Something about the cross breezes from around the country that gather there. Houston is no gem in the allergy department either, but I've heard Dallas is worse.

DFW life-long native Texan here.  It is not humid in DFW.  It is humid in Houston.  I hate Houston.  I love the Tarrant County area of the DFW metroplex.  Either one has many great pluses regarding homeschooling.

Texas rocks.   (That is all. :D ) 

I LOVE Fort Worth! Laid back vibe, great museums, terrific housing opportunities.

Well, why not Austin? It's central to pretty much everything, and its weather is more temperate than either DFW or Houston.

Well, why not Austin? It's central to pretty much everything, and its weather is more temperate than either DFW or Houston.

I got more clarification. They have offices in both Dallas and Houston, so he would definitely have to work out of one of them.

My MIL lives in the Casa Linda area of Dallas.  I've always been more of a suburb girl, but that area is really very nice.  Not big city at all.  I assume that there are other nice areas, but that is one I've seen up close and personal.  It also is nice without having an HOA, which would be a deal-breaker for me.  

I grew up in Houston, and I truly benefited from the arts scene there.  We were constantly at museums, the opera, symphony, ballet, theater.  It's top notch in Houston.  The Houston Ballet school is top notch, too...excellent training (I studied for a short time there myself!)  I'm sure Dallas has a nice arts scene, too, but I just didn't enjoy the vibe in Dallas.  We eventually moved to Austin (love Austin!!), and the city motto in Austin is "Keep Austin Weird".  Dallas adopted that slogan and changed it to fit their city, "Keep Dallas Pretentious".  No thanks.

Rice Village in Houston is just wonderful.  You have Rice University nearby, lots of intellectual types, great bookstores, fantastic food...I love that area.  Other parts of Houston are complete dumps, though.  Sprawling, never-ending box stores, chain stores...just nauseating. 

Others have mentioned Houston's proximity to other cities, which is very true.  You definitely want to visit Central Texas (Austin, etc.), but another place to visit would be New Orleans.  The National WW2 museum is worth the drive alone...and the food!  My goodness, you will never taste anything like it!

Sleep deprived, so please excuse the typos!  Good luck!

I have lived in both. I prefer Houston to DFW. If you are used to varied scenery you are going to want Houston. DFW was flat and brown, except for about 2 weeks in the spring. Houston has forests. beaches, bayous, rolling hills. After living in DFW I can't tell you how much I missed TREES! and the pines of east texas are beautiful.

If it were not for the heat I would gladly move back. One of my favorite areas is Tomball.  

I have lived in both. I prefer Houston to DFW. If you are used to varied scenery you are going to want Houston. DFW was flat and brown, except for about 2 weeks in the spring. Houston has forests. beaches, bayous, rolling hills. After living in DFW I can't tell you how much I missed TREES! and the pines of east texas are beautiful.

If it were not for the heat I would gladly move back. One of my favorite areas is Tomball.

ROFL! Perspective is everything! I lived in Dallas for 15 years and absolutely adore it. If you want flat, brown scenery, I'm in El Paso now and it is FLAT and BROWN. We loved in N. Dallas almost in Richardson. There are tons of homeschool opportunities. Dallas has huge, beautiful trees, rolling hills, gorgeous prairies just outside of town - perfect! Houston, otoh, is a swamp. (I really don't like swampy lands. Bayou = swamp, including alligators!).

We are from Houston and have been in Dallas since 2001.  I *definitely* say Dallas.  

Drivers aren't nearly as bad.

Commutes are reasonable comparatively.

Plenty to do. Active homeschool groups, great sports/fine arts opportunities.

Nicer in general (though I'm sure there are better and worse places in both, the middle is nicer up here).

The weather is better up here (though I hate cold and snow, there is still very little of either most years. It isn't AS hot and humid as Houston.)

It is just generally more pleasant up here (not that there aren't idiots here like anywhere, just fewer maybe).

We lived in  South FL for years and years, and by comparison, DFW does not have humidity. (People who think Dallas is humid have no idea.) When we've visited the Houston area (repeatedly, as we have family there) I've thought I was back in FL.  

Seriously, here in DFW, there might be a couple of days each year when I go outside and think, "Boy, it's muggy today!" That is *not* the norm.  In fact, usually when it's really hot, it's a dry, "opening-the-oven door" kind of hot, but that's usually only in the worst of summer, 3-4 weeks in late July and the month of August.

There are lovely cultural opportunities in either of the metroplexes you mentioned, but you couldn't pay me to deal with the traffic in Houston.  If your husband will have to commute any distance to work, pick a rental that puts him driving against the flow of traffic, and he'll bless the day he married you.  ;-)

Just about any way you cut it, Texas is a win, win situation, but if you hate humidity DO NOT pick Houston.  There is a huge difference.

ETA:  You can find many areas of DFW that are beautifully rolling hills with beautiful large old trees.  Those are the older neighborhoods, though.  The newer neighborhoods are, of course, converted farmland, so they will be relatively flat and treeless.

It really is a matter of perspective! I'm from DFW and have lived in Houston all but the last 2 years of my adult/mom life, and would prefer Houston to Dallas (but not to FW, necessarily).  

We are from Houston and have been in Dallas since 2001.  I *definitely* say Dallas.  

Drivers aren't nearly as bad.  disagree, I think Dallas drivers are WAY worse

Commutes are reasonable comparatively. entirely depends on housing budget and office location

Plenty to do. Active homeschool groups, great sports/fine arts opportunities. at least equally true in Houston

Nicer in general (though I'm sure there are better and worse places in both, the middle is nicer up here). again, I disagree

The weather is better up here (though I hate cold and snow, there is still very little of either most years. It isn't AS hot and humid as Houston.) I think the summers are worse, despite the relative lack of humidity in Dallas, and the winters are harsher.  Houston's summers are painful, yes, but the winters are mild and marvelous!

It is just generally more pleasant up here (not that there aren't idiots here like anywhere, just fewer maybe). again, disagree. LOL 

It really is a matter of perspective! I'm from DFW and have lived in Houston all but the last 2 years of my adult/mom life, and would prefer Houston to Dallas (but not to FW, necessarily).  

I agree with your parenthetical statement.  Fort Worth is really night and day compared to Dallas.  I heart Fort Worth (born and raised here), and I avoid Dallas like the plague.  Too big, too trafficky, too everything for me....

I agree with your parenthetical statement.  Fort Worth is really night and day compared to Dallas.  I heart Fort Worth (born and raised here), and I avoid Dallas like the plague.  Too big, too trafficky, too everything for me....

Well, since we now know that he will be working out of an office, the choice is Dallas or Houston.  Which means big and trafficky, whichever one they pick.  

Just FYI...The burbs north of Houston (slight to west) are in the Sam Houston National Forest.  All of the woods in the southeast, including the Houston region , along southern portion of Louisiana/Texas state line are part called the Big Thicket.  The Big Thicket turns into the Piney Woods as you travel north into East Texas (which you can access in a day trip from Dallas.  Tyler is GORGEOUS during the springtime).   Going south, the forest turns into coastal area, although it's an interesting combination of forest and coastal along I10 headed out towards Beaumont from Houston.

FWIW I won't be swimming or fishing in the bayous or the Trinity River in Dallas anytime soon.  :)  And I wish they didn't allow humans in the lakes around Dallas because several years ago boats contaminated our lake that fed our drinking supply.  Couple that with the severe drought, and we were on water restrictions for years now (and they are still at Stage 3).