Menu

Do you ever feel like you live on a different planet?

Tmhearn

Specifically regarding posts here on the WTM, sometimes I feel like I must live on a totally different planet from people who post here. I'm not referring to any one particular post, because it has happened many times. Am I the only one? Is it simply a matter of people coming from all over the map (figuratively and literally)?

Is it simply a matter of people coming from all over the map (figuratively and literally)?

I would say, yes. I grew up in Oklahoma. However, since I've been married, I have lived on the west coast, on the east coast, in the south, in Germany and in Hawaii. I've encountered and made friends with people all over the world from a variety of cultural and financial backgrounds. People in different places and cultures have very, very different ideas about tons of things, some things that I never expected.

Yes, but ironically I feel like I am educating myself on these boards.

I can't tell you how many times I have encountered something new in my life, searched for it here, and someone has talked about it at some point on these boards :laugh:.

Yes, and I love it! I have grown so much in compassion and patience since I've been on the boards. I used to have knee-jerk reactions to so many things. But after reading these boards for all these years I've learned that there's always more than one side to the story and there are always more details to be pulled out of a story and there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I used to think that if people weren't doing it my way, they were wrong. Of course they were! I am a very logical person and think things through carefully. So, if I come to a conclusion, it is well thought out and very likely the right one.

Snort!

I have since learned that there can be more than one right way to do things. Someone can do things differently from me and not be wrong! Amazing!

I find more common ground than I expect, actually.

Case in point--a certain poster here has totally different views than I do, on very many things, yet we (I feel) bonded nonetheless.

Start with kindness and compassion, and it's amazing how you can get along with people who are..."on a different planet." :D

They are still people, after all.

Not really. Maybe like I am visiting a foreign land at times but not that I've left the planet. People are people after all. And we are way more alike than different. Also, there is a lot of diversity of thought on my wacky family tree so no matter how out there I consider it (in any direction) it's not usually new to me.

On a different forum I used to butt heads a fair bit with someone with very different political and religious views than me. She posts here too (in fact she is why I started reading WTM) and now we are quite friendly. She is one of my only exceptions to my policy of no FB friending people I "meet" on message boards. I tend to prefer people with strong opinions and ideals that I don't agree with to fence sitters who mostly agree with me.