Menu

s/o - preparing to lose power - heat source?

Guest inoubliable

Guest inoubliable

We're in this weird 12" - 20" zone. No one weather expert can seem to agree, but the city has told everyone to expect power outages. 
We live just a block away from City Yards and a few blocks from the courthouse and city hall and all that and we're actually on the same grid. So when the power comes back on, we're usually first. Woo! But we're being asked to prepare for as much as a few days with no power. 

I can handle everything but heat. We have electric baseboard heaters. In some of the rooms.  :glare: (There is no heat at all in the 1/2 bath downstairs or the kitchen, for example.) And the rooms that do have heat, well the heaters are all old and mismatched so they don't always work well. We have space heaters. Again, electric. We've got blankets and sleeping bags and we're prepared to huddle together under a tent of duvets if we have to. 

My question is this: How dangerous/stupid would it be to attempt to use the fireplace in the house? 
Yes, that's right. We have a fireplace. And a woodstove in the basement. That we're not supposed to use. The landlord was supposed to get back to us years ago on using it and never did - said he didn't think we could because of something in  his homeowner's insurance policy. It's not been cleaned or serviced since we've moved in. I'm betting it's not been used for years before that, either. How dangerous would it be to... just use it? 

Guest inoubliable

:( that's what I thought. This is why we've never tried it before. The neighbors said there was a chimney fire here years ago and there were never any repairs or cleanings done. Crap. The smoke detectors don't work, either, so DH was voting "no" all along. 

Any ideas on keeping warm, then? 

I definitely would not use the fireplace. I'm all for heating with a fireplace, it's actually a prerequisite to any house we live in, but not one that is not safe.

You can make a "tent" out of blankets for sleeping. The smaller the space and the more people in that small space the warmer it will be. You could close off one room with blankets.

Cover windows with a shower curtain (Save blankets for people)

Dress in layers, wear a hat

If you have a dog he can help keep you warm, sleep with him :)

Guest inoubliable

I definitely would not use the fireplace. I'm all for heating with a fireplace, it's actually a prerequisite to any house we live in, but not one that is not safe.

You can make a "tent" out of blankets for sleeping. The smaller the space and the more people in that small space the warmer it will be. You could close off one room with blankets.

Cover windows with a shower curtain (Save blankets for people)

Dress in layers, wear a hat

If you have a dog he can help keep you warm, sleep with him :)

Oh, believe me. The next house we're in will have a fireplace! 

We're planning on the "tent". We've got all the blankets and the sleeping bag and pillows downstairs already. The two bedrooms upstairs have attic access and, even though we put up heavy plastic sheeting to cover up the wide open access, it's still really really cold up there in the winter. The bedrooms are mostly unusable in winter and in summer. In fact, one of them is empty. The kids usually sleep downstairs on the pull out couch. So that's all set up for down here. 

We've got that plastic sheeting stuff over all the windows in the house already. If I could figure out enough blankets or sheeting to somehow cover the stairs, I would. 

Got it. The tote of winter stuff is out and everyone has gloves and hats picked out. 

No dog. No pets at all. Maybe a dog needs to be on the list for our next house! 

:( that's what I thought. This is why we've never tried it before. The neighbors said there was a chimney fire here years ago and there were never any repairs or cleanings done. Crap. The smoke detectors don't work, either, so DH was voting "no" all along. 

Any ideas on keeping warm, then? 

Can you beg or borrow at least 1 smoke detector from a neighbor?  This would be a MUST have in an electrical outage.  Dh was a fireman and is HUGE on this issue.  We have at least double the suggested amount---some hard wired and many battery operated.  The risks of house fires are much higher with power outages.

Guest inoubliable

Can you beg or borrow at least 1 smoke detector from a neighbor?  This would be a MUST have in an electrical outage.  Dh was a fireman and is HUGE on this issue.  We have at least double the suggested amount---some hard wired and many battery operated.  The risks of house fires are much higher with power outages.

DH will be home around 10 pm tonight. We're going to have to brave whatever is on the roads at that point to get some bottled water and some food, so I'll check for a smoke detector when we're out. I think I remember our local supermarket having some next to the fire starters and matches. Good idea - thank you!!

Guest inoubliable

I would also fill the bathtub with water now, get a ton of candles, and some of those hand warmers that you crack to start, if you can find them at the store tonight (Walmart has tons back by the hunting supplies). 

I don't trust the bathtub for water other than for flushing toilets. Not even sure if we can close the drain now that I think about it. Um. Eww. 

Got every candle in the house gathered on the dining room table. I do have some hand warmers, too. Usually I have those packed for DH to take with him in this kind of weather. I'll put a few aside for the house. I think he's going to be off tomorrow. I don't think the company will have any drivers out tomorrow at all. 

Good thing I have truffles and Starbuck's salted caramel hot chocolate packets in the house.... =P

Guest inoubliable

Turn up the heat now incase it does go out.  It will give you a warmer house for awhile.  Don't forget to put blanket/towel door draft blockers at every door.

Good idea. I had the space heaters cranked up already because the temp has dropped. I'll get the baseboard heaters up as high as they'll go. We have a door snake in front of the front door, but nothing at the back door or basement door. I should roll up some towels to put there, I think.

I don't trust the bathtub for water other than for flushing toilets. Not even sure if we can close the drain now that I think about it. Um. Eww. 

Got every candle in the house gathered on the dining room table. I do have some hand warmers, too. Usually I have those packed for DH to take with him in this kind of weather. I'll put a few aside for the house. I think he's going to be off tomorrow. I don't think the company will have any drivers out tomorrow at all. 

Good thing I have truffles and Starbuck's salted caramel hot chocolate packets in the house.... =P

Yes, if you have any sort of electrical pumping for your water supply (house or city), that will go out, so you can use the bath water to flush the toilet. :) 

And that is good.  That's the #1 need for power outages.  It keeps you from going crazy and eating your family.

Yes, if you have any sort of electrical pumping for your water supply (house or city), that will go out, so you can use the bath water to flush the toilet. :) 

And that is good.  That's the #1 need for power outages.  It keeps you from going crazy and eating your family.

Stupid question, I know, but do you have a gas stove?  You can heat your living area pretty well with just a couple of burners.  I don't suggest going to sleep with it like that, but you can turn them on for a couple of hours while you are awake and warm the space up enough to get cozy under the comforters.  We have an electric starter on ours but can light them with a match when the power is out.  

I know it's not helpful for this particular event, but I would definitely lean on the landlord to have his chimneys cleaned and inspected. If you're renting a house with a fireplace and a wood stove, I think it's a perfectly legitimate request to be able to USE those features. You can save a ton of money heating with a wood stove.

After going through a water main break and no water for two days I started to keep a 5 gallon Aqua-tainer for each bathroom filled. I put them in the bathtub and use them for washing up after using the bathroom. They have a water spout on them. I also keep a case (12 pk) of baby wipes on hand. My house is all electric, we lose power we lose water. You don't realize how much water you go through just in washing your hands each day. A baby wipe and hand sanitizer go a long way. 

I would not chance the fireplace and woodstove without someone inspecting it all first.

Could you consider getting a generator? We have an outdoor wood-burning furnace, but it needs electricity to run the blower, so we have a generator that we can run every few hours for a little while (except at night) to keep the blower going, so that our pipes (old house) don't freeze. It was a huge blessing when Hurricane Sandy hit, so we were able to keep our chest freezer going and not have food thaw, and it was a blessing last week when we lost power for twelve hours in the cold. After the initial investment, it has not cost much to run it.

Do NOT use the fireplace or woodstove. There are dozens of house fires every winter due to chimney fires, and many of them end up killing some or all family members present in the house. Also, you do not want to move to a house with a fireplace, if you are looking for an alternate heat source. They are pretty and relaxing, but not all that helpful for actually heating a whole house. They are basically like an safe, indoor campfire. You will be warm so long as you are within a few of the fireplace, or possibly, in the same room.

However, the rest of the house will be cold. Also, you will lose heat through the fireplace even when you are not using it, unless you have an airtight damper in it. The fireplace in the home where I grew up drew well enough to suck tissues up the chimney if you accidentally set one down beside it when the damper was open. Imagine how much of your warm air would follow the same path.

Although not nearly as picturesque, a woodstove will do much more to heat your home. And it is much easier to cook on top of one. I know of which I speak. I grew up in a log cabin with both and have lived the last 13 years heating my whole home exclusively with a woodstove.

So anyway, please do not attempt to use the uninspected fireplace or woodstove. They are incredibly dangerous. Besides, if you  weren't planning to use them, what would you burn in them? Fresh, "green" wood doesn't burn very well and is also a major contributor to chimney fires. If you have wood outside that has been sitting around for a long time, chances are that it will be waterlogged or insect riddled and rotted, and not produce much heat either.

This round, go to a warming station, go to a hotel, go visit a friend, family or neighbor. Then armed with new knowledge, you can make preparations for the future, should this happen again. Most of the forecasts I have seen seem to imply that this is the last big storm for this winter, so you may have all the way until next year to make some new plans.

Do NOT use the fireplace or woodstove. There are dozens of house fires every winter due to chimney fires, and many of them end up killing some or all family members present in the house. Also, you do not want to move to a house with a fireplace, if you are looking for an alternate heat source. They are pretty and relaxing, but not all that helpful for actually heating a whole house. They are basically like an safe, indoor campfire. You will be warm so long as you are within a few of the fireplace, or possibly, in the same room.

However, the rest of the house will be cold. Also, you will lose heat through the fireplace even when you are not using it, unless you have an airtight damper in it. The fireplace in the home where I grew up drew well enough to suck tissues up the chimney if you accidentally set one down beside it when the damper was open. Imagine how much of your warm air would follow the same path.

Although not nearly as picturesque, a woodstove will do much more to heat your home. And it is much easier to cook on top of one. I know of which I speak. I grew up in a log cabin with both and have lived the last 13 years heating my whole home exclusively with a woodstove.

So anyway, please do not attempt to use the uninspected fireplace or woodstove. They are incredibly dangerous. Besides, if you  weren't planning to use them, what would you burn in them? Fresh, "green" wood doesn't burn very well and is also a major contributor to chimney fires. If you have wood outside that has been sitting around for a long time, chances are that it will be waterlogged or insect riddled and rotted, and not produce much heat either.

This round, go to a warming station, go to a hotel, go visit a friend, family or neighbor. Then armed with new knowledge, you can make preparations for the future, should this happen again. Most of the forecasts I have seen seem to imply that this is the last big storm for this winter, so you may have all the way until next year to make some new plans.

That depends on the design of the fireplace.   Ours in in the middle of the house and heats the house well during power outages.  The design stinks but it heats the house well. If it was on the side of the house, it wouldn't heat anything but the room.  The airtight damper is worth every penny.  If my next house doesn't have one, I would install one in a heartbeat.  

Guest inoubliable

How are you holding up, KK? I hope you didn't lose power!

Sorry, Cat. Just now saw this! 

We didn't lose power. Woo! 

We did lose the baseboard heater in our bedroom, though.  :glare: That's yet another room in this house. We have a small space heater that we put in there and that's been helping a bit. 

Can't. Wait. To. Move.