Menu

Can we talk about coconut oil?

CupOCoffee

(Again, maybe?).  Sorry, I have finally gone out and got some coconut oil; slow to the train, I know.  So far I've used it on my hands, face and rubbed a dab in my hair to control static/frizzy flyaways.  Put it on my lips too.

What else?  Wasn't there a LONG discussion on this within the past year?  I can't seem to find a LONG discussion.  But tell me how you use it, besides cooking.  From some things that I've read just using Google, CO seems to be the cure all for EVERY.SINGLE.AILMENT...

What has been your experience with it?  No suggestions are off limits ;)

Thanks!

~coffee~

There is tons on the internet. Basically it is for oral hygiene. I swish it for 20 minutes everyday & spit it out and then brush with tooth powder.

The internet will have you believe oil pulling cures everything, which I don't put a lot of stock in. However, it absolutely helps with dental hygiene. My teeth are much whiter too!! :)

Eat it! I like to use it in baking, but I don't bake much anymore, and I don't love the coconut flavor in most savory/salty things, so I don't use it in those. The best way for me to get my daily intake is to just eat it--about a Tbsp in the morning, and another in the afternoon if I'm having a lot of carb cravings that day. I like it solid, but not liquid. You could keep some in the fridge for that purpose if you need to. Some people put it in their coffee, some people put it in their oatmeal. A friend recently told me she spreads some on a slice of raisin toast for breakfast. I'm sure there are a million other ways too. 

I love the taste of solid CO, but the main reason I take it that way is that it helps my brain function. I'm extremely scattered, and when I'm not taking my CO I'm at my worst and get depressed and frustrated. The daily doses help that A LOT. 

Oh, we also use it to lubricate our gerbils' exercise wheel :lol:

ETA: This is a great blog. I needed some of these reminders!

http://wellnessmama.com/5734/101-uses-for-coconut-oil/

Love it in stir fry! It's good in some baking (esp. if I'm using coconut flour already). It's okay in coffee. We use it on dry heels, etc. I use it on skin areas that are prone to yeast or fungus (or toe nails). Jury is out on the toenail yeast/fungus (another family member), but it isn't hurting and has been great for the skin on the feet in the meantime.

I eat it, It helps with maintaining my blood sugar-- It also helps to kill the yeast so reduces my sugar cravings.  It is good for reducing brain fog (and they say it helps reduce alzheimers  effects in patients with alz)

I use in on my daughters skin to clean it and reduce her breakouts-- I make a paste of CO and kosher salt and she scrubs her skin, then washes it-- I think it cleans the dirt/oils and keeps the bacteria at bay.   I know her breakouts seem to dry up after a good scrubbing (she does this about twice a week).

I have this patch of skin b/t my b00ks that sweats/smells and I tried so many things to clean/deodorize that skin(baby powder, oils, cornstarch, spray on deodorant) -- I clean it with CO and tada-- gone!

I use it for so many things!!  I also found the best price to be at Costco.

I love coconut oil. My dh takes it daily to help with his brain fog.  I mostly cook with it.  Best popcorn ever.  I add it to smoothies.  Eye makeup remover for my daughter.  So many uses. 

As much as I love coconut oil and I do see health benefits I just want to go on record that I don't think it cures cancer.  It is part of a healthy diet.

I have used it for a facial moisturizer and now a face wash. But consuming it was a disaster for me. I put a tbsp in a cup of hot tea and drank it. Then about a half hour later I had to stop reading to the kids because I was getting stomach cramps. Cramps turned in to dry heaving and then diarrhea. It was a nightmare for a few hours. I looked it up online and I guess it is a common response. I would like to give it another try in a smaller quantity but I am worried I will have the same response. Sorry for the tmi ;)

We use it for cooking all sorts of things, but one of my favourites is using it in brownies.  It makes them SUPER yummy.  We use Nutiva organic extra virgin and it has a really nice mild coconut flavour.

I eat a spoonful of it in the morning every day.

We also use it on our faces before heading out in the bitter cold to ski or snowshoe.  Keeps the skin from drying out.  Also used it on the baby for a rash that was looking a little bit like cradle cap.  It disappeared literally instantly.

I did oil pulling years ago, but haven't done it in a while.  Mostly because I have so many other things to do in the morning.  Agree it definitely makes your teeth whiter and gums healthier.

Our rental house has a black kitchen sink (not sure of exact material), that our landlord said she paid a lot of money for and is very particular about. It started getting some sort of white marks on it, that I could not get rid of. Finally, I cleaned it as best I could and rubbed CO all over it. No more white spots on the sink!

OK, thanks for all the ideas ladies!  Can't wait to try some of them!

Next question: cold pressed or expeller pressed, which is better?  Oh and DH and DS can't stand the smell of the one I bought!!  DD and I love it, I think it smells like coconut.  But the guys won't go near it, lol.  Did I read somewhere that one of the ways they make it doesn't smell like coconut? Mine is organic, expeller pressed, virgin.

DH was looking at some on sale at GNC, looked like 30 ozs for $15; it was Nutiva brand. Is that one good?  Where else is good to get it besides my grocery store, where I *know* I paid too much, but I have been eyeing it up forever and decided to take the plunge.

~coffee~

OK, thanks for all the ideas ladies! Can't wait to try some of them!

Next question: cold pressed or expeller pressed, which is better? Oh and DH and DS can't stand the smell of the one I bought!! DD and I love it, I think it smells like coconut. But the guys won't go near it, lol. Did I read somewhere that one of the ways they make it doesn't smell like coconut? Mine is organic, expeller pressed, virgin.

DH was looking at some on sale at GNC, looked like 30 ozs for $15; it was Nutiva brand. Is that one good? Where else is good to get it besides my grocery store, where I *know* I paid too much, but I have been eyeing it up forever and decided to take the plunge.

~coffee~

tropicaltraditions.com is my "go to" for both cold pressed and expeller pressed.

My cold-pressed smells like coconut- I use it in baking, smoothies, drinks, and body care. The expeller pressed is more refined, has no smell and is what I use for any cooking that I don't want to smell like coconut - which is anything not sweet, basically. All my frying, sautéing, rubbing (meat and poultry).

OK, thanks for all the ideas ladies! Can't wait to try some of them!

Next question: cold pressed or expeller pressed, which is better? Oh and DH and DS can't stand the smell of the one I bought!! DD and I love it, I think it smells like coconut. But the guys won't go near it, lol. Did I read somewhere that one of the ways they make it doesn't smell like coconut? Mine is organic, expeller pressed, virgin.

DH was looking at some on sale at GNC, looked like 30 ozs for $15; it was Nutiva brand. Is that one good? Where else is good to get it besides my grocery store, where I *know* I paid too much, but I have been eyeing it up forever and decided to take the plunge.

~coffee~

I use and like the Nutiva brand. Here is what I buy:

http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Coconut-54-Ounce-Containers/dp/B003QDRJXY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1392125334&sr=8-5&keywords=Coconut+oil

(nice to see you, danybug!)

We use it on dry lips and dd uses it to shave with (mixed with sugar).

Just wondering--we have organic co that does not smell like coconut, and non organic (but without additives) that does--what's up with that?

It can be refined even if it's organic. We use both refined and unrefined--we started with it looking for a replacement for Crisco (we also use kettle rendered lard). The unrefined (usually labeled virgin) smells more like coconut. My mom will use the refined in pie crust, but not the unrefined/virgin because she doesn't like the added flavor.

I am getting some great ideas on this thread. I'm glad someone mentioned popcorn...I can't believe I forgot about the popcorn...it's the best!

I'm with Fraidycat.  I get all of my coconut oil from Tropical Traditions.  I almost always wait for the free shipping code that happens about once a month.  

We are not a coconut loving family so I typically get the expeller pressed so that it doesn't smell / taste like coconut.  I like that their expeller pressed does not use solvent extracts.  

Add another vote for the popcorn - so good!!  I may have to try the brownies.  I really LOVE the brownies we make, but they take a cup of butter.  I always feel so guilty!  Another favorite here is to cube up a butternut squash, toss it with coconut oil and cinnamon, then roast.  Yummy!

I would love your recipe! Every time I've tried- it crumbles :(

I use a recipe I found online a few years ago.

6tbsp coconut oil

1/4 cup baking soda

1/4 cup cornstarch

10 drops of essential oils (I use a blend of lavender and tea tree oil)

If it is too irritating try it with less baking soda.

It is very yummy on things if you like coconut but just remember - it IS a saturated fat.  The solid stuff is very, very high in saturated fat.  The irony of the current craze is that about 10 years ago, everyone was up in arms because movie theatres were using solid coconut butter to make popcorn and the amount of saturated fat in movie theatre popcorn was through the roof.  Movie theatres were forced to discontinue using it.  When coconut oil is turned into the solid form, it undergoes hydrogenation which means that some of the few unsaturated fats that were present are turned into trans fats.  Saturated fat can be included in a healthy diet but, as with everything, in moderation.  You'd be better off to go with coconut oil that's liquid at room temperature and eat very sparingly. :)  Coconut oil or butter used on the skin (unless you're bathing in it!) should have no effect on blood cholesterol levels so slather away. ;)

I don't consider saturated fat unhealthy...just to preface what I'm about to say.  But I have come across so many people who will jump up and down about how unhealthy lard is (bacon grease) and butter, but then they go onto sing the praises of healthy coconut oil.  So then when I ask them why the coconut oil is so much healthier they say well there is so much saturated fats in animal oils.  Um yeah, but they don't seem to realize that coconut oil is more saturated than nearly any other oil!

:iagree:  I agree, Sparkly! :)  I think almost anything can be a part of a healthy diet in moderation.  I just wanted to present some of the chemistry of coconut oil and butter so that anyone considering using it as part of his/her diet could use that info as part of his/her decision making process.

I hope the OP is OK with my joining in the conversation.  I realize I'm giving a different kind of answer than most other posters - if this isn't the kind of thing the OP was looking for the please tell me, OP, and I'll delete my post. :)

It is very yummy on things if you like coconut but just remember - it IS a saturated fat.  The solid stuff is very, very high in saturated fat.  The irony of the current craze is that about 10 years ago, everyone was up in arms because movie theatres were using solid coconut butter to make popcorn and the amount of saturated fat in movie theatre popcorn was through the roof.  Movie theatres were forced to discontinue using it.  When coconut oil is turned into the solid form, it undergoes hydrogenation which means that some of the few unsaturated fats that were present are turned into trans fats.  Saturated fat can be included in a healthy diet but, as with everything, in moderation.  You'd be better off to go with coconut oil that's liquid at room temperature and eat very sparingly. :)  Coconut oil or butter used on the skin (unless you're bathing in it!) should have no effect on blood cholesterol levels so slather away. ;)

Are you saying that, for example, my extra virgin Nutiva, which is currently solid at our kitchen temp of 73 degrees, is hydrogenated? I don't think that's true, and I imagine that no one in this thread would consider hydrogenated coconut oil to be a healthy component of an ideal diet. I think we're all referring to solid coconut oil because in the winter, in our kitchens, it tends to be cool enough to solidify, not because it's been processed to be solid.

Are you saying that, for example, my extra virgin Nutiva, which is currently solid at our kitchen temp of 73 degrees, is hydrogenated? I don't think that's true, and I imagine that no one in this thread would consider hydrogenated coconut oil to be a healthy component of an ideal diet. I think we're all referring to solid coconut oil because in the winter, in our kitchens, it tends to be cool enough to solidify, not because it's been processed to be solid.

The melting point of virgin, non-hydrogenated coconut oil is 76F so in a 73F kitchen, I would expect it to be a pretty oily-looking solid that is almost at its melting point.  If what you have is completely solid at 73F and showing no signs of starting to become oily, then I would look into it again to make sure that it isn't at least partially hydrogenated.  Think about how a sample of ice looks when it is getting close to its melting point - statistically, more and more of the molecules are getting enough energy to break the forces between them and for the sample to begin to move into the liquid phase - ice close to it's melting point starts to look... well... slightly watery. :)  At 73F, more and more of the coconut oil molecules would be getting enough energy for a coconut oil sample to do the same - move into the liquid phase.  The melting point of hydrogenated coconut fat is between 97-104F (depending on the degree of hydrogenation) so, again, if what you have is showing no signs of even starting to become a liquid at 73F and definitely doesn't liquify if you up the temperature of it by 3 or 4 degrees, then what you've got is at least partially hydrogenated coconut fat, whether the packaging says so or not. :)  Your best bet - if you have a thermometer that's capable of registering those kinds of accurate degree measurements, slowly melt your coconut oil and keep a recording of the temps.  If it isn't completely liquid by, at the outermost, 80F, it's been hydrogenated.

Something else to consider...  1 gram of any kind of fat or oil contains 9 calories.  A typical tablespoon is around 60mL.  Since coconut oil has a density of around 0.924 g/mL, then a tablespoon of coconut oil has a mass of 60/0.924=64.94 grams.  Since fats or oils have 9 calories per gram, then a tablespoon of coconut oil has 64.94 x 9=584.46 calories.  Granted - I don't think the old fashioned understanding based on calories in/calories out is as simple as it was once presented so maybe the calories don't bother some people.  I just wanted people to know the caloric content of that tablespoon of oil. :)

There are MANY "shades" of "solid" when it comes to coconut oil. Mine is only completely liquid in the summer time. But, it is right now, not solid-solid either. It's creamy-solid - it looks solid, but can easily be scooped with a spoon or my fingers. When it's completely solid or refrigerated, it's like a brick of frozen butter that can only be shaved small bits at a time. Pure, organic, hand-processed. Definitely not hydrgenated, but not liquid.

I try to get 60% of my calories from saturated fat, so not in moderation. I use bacon grease and coconut oil in/on everything. :) Now, my pants are falling off.

I used to use it for everything.  Finally I realized the gnawing stomach pain and rash after I washed with it might be connected.  I seem to be allergic.  So for now, I've cut all coconut out until I can make sure. :)

I buy the Tropical Traditions or Nutiva when I use it.  It does make wonderful brownies, and is great for greasing pans. 

There are MANY "shades" of "solid" when it comes to coconut oil. Mine is only completely liquid in the summer time. But, it is right now, not solid-solid either. It's creamy-solid - it looks solid, but can easily be scooped with a spoon or my fingers. When it's completely solid or refrigerated, it's like a brick of frozen butter that can only be shaved small bits at a time. Pure, organic, hand-processed. Definitely not hydrgenated, but not liquid.

I try to get 60% of my calories from saturated fat, so not in moderation. I use bacon grease and coconut oil in/on everything. :) Now, my pants are falling off.

For the "pants falling off" part, fraidycat, I'm right there with you. :)  That's why I say that I think the simplistic view of calories in/calories out is more complicated than previously thought.  I've VERY big on science (can you tell? ;)) but when I followed the Atkins plan for 2 months and did nothing else differently, I lost 25 pounds.  It, sadly, has not stayed off but there has to have been something to it.

If the fat or oil seems to stay in that in-between, not quite liquid/not quite solid stage for a fairly wide temperature span, then based on the chemistry, my best guess would be that it's probably a mixture of non-hydrogenated coconut oil and some hydrogenated oil.  I'm sorry if this is upsetting for folks - all I'm trying to do is present the chemistry. :)  If anyone is concerned that the oil they have isn't what it's labelled as, then they should look into it more deeply.  Pure, non-hydrogenated coconut oil should have a melting point of 76F.  That means that, chemically, all of the sample should be a liquid at a few degrees above that temp.  If your oil is not completely liquid by 80F, it can't be pure, non-hydrogenated oil.  It could be partly pure and non-hydrogenated but there is something else in it (a small amount of hydrogenated or some other impurity) that's causing the melting point to differ.

For the "pants falling off" part, fraidycat, I'm right there with you. :) That's why I say that I think the simplistic view of calories in/calories out is more complicated than previously thought. I've VERY big on science (can you tell? ;)) but when I followed the Atkins plan for 2 months and did nothing else differently, I lost 25 pounds. It, sadly, has not stayed off but there has to have been something to it.

If the fat or oil seems to stay in that in-between, not quite liquid/not quite solid stage for a fairly wide temperature span, then based on the chemistry, my best guess would be that it's probably a mixture of non-hydrogenated coconut oil and some hydrogenated oil. I'm sorry if this is upsetting for folks - all I'm trying to do is present the chemistry. :) If anyone is concerned that the oil they have isn't what it's labelled as, then they should look into it more deeply. Pure, non-hydrogenated coconut oil should have a melting point of 76F. That means that, chemically, all of the sample should be a liquid at a few degrees above that temp. If your oil is not completely liquid by 80F, it can't be pure, non-hydrogenated oil. It could be partly pure and non-hydrogenated but there is something else in it (a small amount of hydrogenated or some other impurity) that's causing the melting point to differ.

:) My A/C is running as I type. I'd die if it was above 80 in here, or even 76. Or someone would... I'd be a very grumpy version of me!