Menu

Just for Fun: Which Programs That You Don't Need Are Calling Your Name?

Crimson Wife

Heaven help me, I can't stop buying writing books. One day someone is going to find me suffocated under a pile of fallen writing books...

LOL, you and me both! I've got a Half Price Books cart open in another window but at least those books are sufficiently different from what I already have on my shelf (which the CAP W&R books are not).

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, JA is so much cooler than Danica McKellar's books . . . . which dd really likes, and I've been having her read them.  But today we compared her explanation of LCM to the one in JA, and JA is soooo much more thorough and conceptual.  

Oh, and I just got a *really* cool new writing book:

http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Extraordinary-Essays-Strategies-Succeeding/dp/0545058988

Just call me "the enabler"!!   :lol:

Well clearly I need to get them too! And that book does look good. I saw it a few days ago on Amazon and dismissed it because the girl looked too happy :tongue_smilie: and it was from Scholastic, so I assumed it was formulaic. Thanks to you, I actually looked inside and liked what I saw. Lesson learned (for the millionth time!) not to judge a book by its cover.

Now to get in what I am ordering and see if it is similar enough in tone that I don't need ONE MORE! :lol:

I read Kiss My Math and had a 'meh' reaction. The math was good and it was very engaging. I can see the draw. But I decided they weren't for us. For one, my boys would never be interested. Of course, they aren't the target audience. Secondly, I thought they were too girly/boy crazy/teen magazine-ish for my dd. I have never heard this complaint, so I may be alone. But it includes comments like: (paraphrasing) you know how when you are on a date, you pop in a breath mint in case he goes for the kiss.... Blech. We aren't there yet, thank goodness, lol. I could have done without that stuff, ymmv.

Yeah, I find them kind of groan inducing. They somehow manage to be simultaneously empowering and condescending. But they have the perfect tone for my girly-girl, despite the fact that she will also find them corny enough to be eye-roll worthy. My boys will probably never touch them with a ten foot pole, but they are engaging and easy to understand. DD has been fairly ambivalent about LoF and dislikes BA (I STILL do not get THAT!), so I'm happy to find some supplemental narratives for her to enjoy. (And, truth be told, they are as much for me as for DD. I'm finishing up AoPS Algebra, about to begin their Geometry, and let's just say I could use a Cosmopolitan style review before I dip my toe into more serious math!)

Hmmm, also need to throw the Murderous Maths books her way, now that I think of it. They've been in DS's room too long. Whoever upthread wanted them, do it. All ya'll, do it! And the Bulging Box of Science and the Horrible Histories box set. Especially if you have boys, do it... You know you want to...

Well clearly I need to get them too! And that book does look good. I saw it a few days ago on Amazon and dismissed it because the girl looked too happy :tongue_smilie: and it was from Scholastic, so I assumed it was formulaic. Thanks to you, I actually looked inside and liked what I saw. Lesson learned (for the millionth time!) not to judge a book by its cover.

Now to get in what I am ordering and see if it is similar enough in tone that I don't need ONE MORE! :lol:

Oh my goodness, I got one more for you, definitely not forumlaic:

http://www.826national.org/826store/451/

Is it totally disturbing that I didn't even remember that I had ordered this?  It looks awesome though!!

So a few of the homeschooler moms in my town got together for a kid-free coffee chat last night. 

We started talking about curricula. 

The result? I have spent almost the whole day trying to justify purchases to myself that don't even make sense. 

We're using (and loving) LoE right now, I bought the entire shebang because with my son I know we will just tear through it at warp speed but it's really really working for him. Anyhoo, I dumped kind of a lot of cash. And here I am with OPGTR, FLL, and a bunch of other books in my cart on Amazon. It's a sickness, and it's untreatable at this point. 

I want BA, LoF, and I want Bravewriter. Like really, how many language arts programs does ONE family really need? When LoE covers it all, or at least all of what my kids are even ready for at this point. 

My god someone point me in the direction of a twelve step group for curricula junkies. Or point me in the direction of a money tree. Either or. 

Well, I am indulging in some curriculum retail therapy, so I did buy Jousting Armadillos. I also bought Lial's basic math and prealgebra books, with worksheets. I was VERY excited about the worksheets!

I bought the remaining textbooks for Math in Focus grades 1-5. They make a pretty rainbow on my shelf.

I am looking at Writing & Rhetoric's programs. I think they overlap IEW too much to make it useful for my son who is doing SWI-A right now, and my younger son is nowhere near ready for them ... but maybe they would be better than IEW? I know some people are running their older kids through, so I haven't decided NOT to do that. It depends on how much the stylistic requirements of IEW bug me.

I am tempted to buy all of the Holt Elements of Literature textbooks for grades 6-12, the K12 Literature student & teacher pages for grades 4-5 (already own grade 3), and Holt Algebra 1 (already own Geometry and Algebra 2 from my older kid). I just have this desire to fill my shelf with what I *think* we will use in the future, which is stupid because I often change my mind. There's a dumb part of me that thinks if I just buy all the good stuff now, then I won't have to think about curriculum ever again - like that's gonna happen.

See, what we all need are jobs as professional curriculum planners for other people's kids. Then we can justify buying everything as a "business expense".

I totally would do this. My mom told me that she wants me to set up a reading plan for her when she retires. She's a little jealous of all the cool stuff I find and buy.

keep it up and you'll be called "that lady I'm not supposed to talk to" :lol:

Seriously, I only have three of those red storage bins of books that don't fit on my two full sized bookshelfs I already have. I think the problem is I need more bookshelves. It's fashionably decorating my house if I line one wall of my hallway with bookshelves, right?

ROFLOL at the first line.

The second part? See my signature, baby!

I don't see one thing on this list that I want so far.

But I'm feeling empty lately, and when I'm feeling empty I hoard books. It's just what I do to self-soothe. I realized when talking to someone, yesterday, that I don't need to feel guilty about self-medicating this way, as it's really the safest way possible. It's just eBooks, so it's not even anything messy, never mind not harming my body or anyone else. If it keeps me from doing anything worse, then it's good; really.

So, the first of the month is in two days, and I have some things on my wishlist:

Draw and Write through history is having a 3 for 2 sale.

I like Math Essentials Book 1. I'm totally confused about the suggested scope and sequence, but I want more. Definitely the algebra.

I want more EM Daily Science.

More Spectrum LA and Spectrum Writing

The rest of the SOTW AGs.

Beautiful Feet guides.

Art and Music stuff. Too much to list.

More of The Story Bible resources.

More audible.com eBooks. Especially some Pimsleur Spanish.

Other Spanish stuff too.

Something with the directions to Cursive HWT. I hate the regular font, but the Educational Fontware tight version is usable. Not great, but usable.

I just have a black hole that cannot be filled. I know it can't be filled, so nothing on this list is screaming to be bought now, other than the sale priced Draw and Write. But I know over the month I will gradually spend every penny I have, even skipping meals, to buy some of this stuff. Sigh. ButĂ¢â‚¬Â¦I could be doing something a lot worse and everyone knows it. SoĂ¢â‚¬Â¦whatever. I'm resigned. And I think everyone else around me is, too.

Oh my goodness, I got one more for you, definitely not forumlaic:

http://www.826national.org/826store/451/

Is it totally disturbing that I didn't even remember that I had ordered this?  It looks awesome though!!

I'm not looking! I'm not looking! (But I'm adding this to my wish list!) Shame on you! SHAME! Hang your head in shame this minute!

Did I just hear someone encourage me to buy a Horrible Geography set so that we can have all the box sets?

Why, yes. Yes, you did! I heard it too, and I don't have any of these series.

I want BA, LoF, and I want Bravewriter. Like really, how many language arts programs does ONE family really need? 

I plead the Fifth. (Oh, wait, you're Canadian, aren't you. I'll explain. It's a right against self-incrimination.) 

See, what we all need are jobs as professional curriculum planners for other people's kids. Then we can justify buying everything as a "business expense".

Where have you been all my life? This is brilliant!

LOL. I use plead the fifth all the time. We're pretty americanized up here ;)

Well, I didn't want to be one of those assuming Americans who thinks everyone does or should know about how we do things. ;)

About being Americanized, I don't know whether to congratulate you or pity you. lol

All of Aops and MCT, but that I do NEED.

What I don't need at all? Mosdos. For a year now, I put it in my cart, I take it out, I put it back, I take it out.....

Same here. Four people 1k square feet. Toooooo many books. My husband suggested we use books instead of box springs to put the mattresses on. Sacrilege.

I don't know. I've flipped through some MPH and I liked the look of it. But it's highly unlikely I'll use them, because I just don't need them! I haven't seen that thread before about the issues so that will be an interesting read.

I do sort of drool over science anything lately. TOPS is another. I want *all* the TOPS. Nuts I know, but I do. 

I'm in a happy place with language arts now. Phew! And math. 

I really want K12 Human Odyssey as well, and it is probably a good chance that I will use them soon. I like the idea of three books/years rather than 4.

I really want K12 Human Odyssey as well, and it is probably a good chance that I will use them soon. I like the idea of three books/years rather than 4.

:lol: I bought all three of them and ended up using only a few chapters of the 3rd one with my first kid.  But I've got another kid coming along, so I *must* keep them, right?

We are using Volume 1 this year and really liking it. I have Volume 2 and plan to use that, but I'm not sure about Volume 3. We might end up using American Odyssey instead.

I don't know. I've flipped through some MPH and I liked the look of it. But it's highly unlikely I'll use them, because I just don't need them! I haven't seen that thread before about the issues so that will be an interesting read.

I used the 2nd edition MPH 3/4 with my son in 4th. I loved it! The text and activity books are just the bare bones. The real fun is in the higher order thinking book. We also did homework. I cut apart the HOTS and homework books and bound them with the activity books so we had just one workbook for each textbook.

I bought extra copies of the activity books, but since the 2nd edition is out of print, I erased all of our work in the HOTS and homework pages.

I haven't looked at the newest edition, but I think MPH is awesome.

Heaven help me, I can't stop buying writing books. One day someone is going to find me suffocated under a pile of fallen writing books...

This. I have been reading threads on here too much!  :glare:  I refuse to admit how many writing books I've ordered this week and are on their way to my house. I also refuse to confess how many writing books are still on my wishlist. 

You can't make me talk. You CAN'T!

Hey, Alte Veste, you and I will be like the Collyer Brothers.  :lol:

Have I told you lately how much you all suck?

*as I slink off to click buy on three books I must own this minute*

Okay, here's my addition:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0965435229/ref=gno_cart_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This makes me salivate. Pathetic. But true.

What'd ya get? What'd ya get?

You can't just mention that you bought books and then not tell us which ones! 

Beautiful Feet's Geography Through Literature and History of Classical Music are both tempting me, but I might just be feeling guilty about neglecting geography and music history this year. Beautiful Feet has never really appealed to me in the past. 

Also, Beast Academy. I've been going back and forth about this one for a while, and now that Ds9 is past it, I want it!

This thread is really dangerous. I'm already in trouble because I just (as in, this week) bought Phonetic Zoo (but the bare bones version!), FLL4 (but I got the TM used for an awesome price!) and Writing Magic (because she NEEDS to be able to write well! Right?). I've managed to avoid the temptation that is CAP's W&R, mostly because I already have both Wordsmith Apprentice and Imitation in Writing. I don't need another writing program like that, right? Just say "right." 

I'm still salivating over LL7 (which DD is in no way ready for at this point), Jousting Armadillos (ditto), and Supercharged Science (no way I'll ever afford it, but a girl can dream). 

So AFTER reading thru this thread today, I've bought Key to Fractions for some stronger comprehension in that area and one Draw & Write book. :D

Yup. After asking on this very thread "how many LA programs does one family need?" I sure did go to the HSBC and pick up Jot It Down and The Wand from Brave Writer. I have even justified why it's perfectly fine to have two completely seperate  comprehensive LA curricula so well that I almost believe myself. 

I have a sickness. My homeschool shelf is FILLING with language related curricula and workbooks and activities and books and notebooks.

This thread is really dangerous. I'm already in trouble because I just (as in, this week) bought Phonetic Zoo (but the bare bones version!), FLL4 (but I got the TM used for an awesome price!) and Writing Magic (because she NEEDS to be able to write well! Right?). I've managed to avoid the temptation that is CAP's W&R, mostly because I already have both Wordsmith Apprentice and Imitation in Writing. I don't need another writing program like that, right? Just say "right." 

I'm still salivating over LL7 (which DD is in no way ready for at this point), Jousting Armadillos (ditto), and Supercharged Science (no way I'll ever afford it, but a girl can dream). 

Yes it is dangerous!

But it's not only this thread: yesterday I watched the video about Rest Time and ended up ordering a heap of new audio books for my kids to listen to during their quiet time.  :blushing:

Oh, forgot about Critical Thinking Press World History Detective. I really want it, soooo want it, banging my feet on the floor want it. Do I need it? Absolutely not, but I have a vision that it will bring intelligent discourse to our history lessons. Somebody please tell me I am delusional. I also want their US History series even though I have yet to exit Rome. Ah!

TruthQuest world history guides. My kids are too young for them (we're in the American History age for their guides). I do not need them. But the book lists call to me.

I loved the ideas of these so much the hubbs and I have purchased the first one and are going through it at night. I'm making lesson plans including Creation Science, Geography, and books or articles I want them to read, so it's all planned out when we get there.

Yes it is dangerous!

But it's not only this thread: yesterday I watched the video about Rest Time and ended up ordering a heap of new audio books for my kids to listen to during their quiet time.  :blushing:

I won't even open that thread, then. We've already got more audio books than DD can listen to in a year. 

Oh, and I forgot, I still want the 9-11 poetry unit from MBtP. Clearly, I haven't bought enough LA items recently.  :bored:

Most of the things already mentioned in this thread that I am interested in I already own and will be using within the next year.

One other thing that I've always been pulled to is all-in-one programs.  We did use MFW Adventures and Sonlight P4/5, just finishing up in November.  Those were greatly enjoyed, but for the most part these types of programs won't work well for us.  My kids are at different levels in different subjects, so a true all-in-one won't work, and for others I just would want my own book choices instead of using all of theirs.  I did almost buy MFW first grade for my younger dd for next year and I do think it would have been a pretty good fit but we already have things to use and I just don't have time to use that complete program plus everything else I want/need to use with my older kids.  I have also wanted to try HOD and Winterpromise.

Have I told you lately how much you all suck?

*as I slink off to click buy on three books I must own this minute*

Okay, here's my addition:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0965435229/ref=gno_cart_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This makes me salivate. Pathetic. But true.

What'd ya get? What'd ya get?

You can't just mention that you bought books and then not tell us which ones! 

I am limiting myself to dont forget to write and the book i linked. And Inference Jones, which someone pointed out to me on another thread. But I will buy the rest Monday when the cc bill is paid off :)

This place is soooo dangerous.

I forgot to mention that I choked on the what I made huge and bold in your post above, Halcyon!  :svengo:

Oh, forgot about Critical Thinking Press World History Detective. I really want it, soooo want it, banging my feet on the floor want it. Do I need it? Absolutely not, but I have a vision that it will bring intelligent discourse to our history lessons. Somebody please tell me I am delusional.

WHD is mostly reading comp standardized test prep using history passages as source material. I use it primarily as a way to get easy work samples to turn in to our "virtual charter". I think you'd be disappointed in it if your goal is to stimulate Socratic discussions.

WHD is mostly reading comp standardized test prep using history passages as source material. I use it primarily as a way to get easy work samples to turn in to our "virtual charter". I think you'd be disappointed in it if your goal is to stimulate Socratic discussions.

Thank you! I will stop drooling over them.

Thank you! I will stop drooling over them.

Just to make sure you never ever think about WHD again, I have Science Detective, book 2 and it's just like what CW says, but it works if you really need a kid to read carefully and answer questions, referring back to the passage, and maybe even to scratch the surface of a topic before studying it further in another book. There is no way to use the Socratic method with this book.