Menu

Just for Fun: Which Programs That You Don't Need Are Calling Your Name?

Crimson Wife

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

keep it up and you'll be called "that lady I'm not supposed to talk to" :lol:

Seriously, I only have three of those red storage bins of books that don't fit on my two full sized bookshelfs I already have. I think the problem is I need more bookshelves. It's fashionably decorating my house if I line one wall of my hallway with bookshelves, right?

In my school room I have 5 full size bookshelves and 5 shorter book shelves...and I still have stuff stored in the garage :blushing:

Edited because I forgot about 2 bookshelves, LOL.

I want all the MCT books and all the AoPS books. I want Heart of Dakota *even though* I know it's not a good fit for us! I want every science program I see, even though I completely stink at getting science done.

I was just looking at Sonlight for my oldest even though there is no way I can justify putting that much time and expense into one kid's history/geography!

Thankfully my cheapskate tendencies balance out the curriculum longings.

Any number of Teaching Company lecture series. A Workbook for Arguments: a complete course in critical thinking by David Morrow.  (which might replace my desire for the secularized version of Art of Argument with dvds). Art History Workbook (vols 1 and 2) by Kerrin Neu (to go along with the 2 or 3 art history series I already have). Drawing on Religion: anime, manga, and religion in contemporary Japan  and  Darsan: seeing the divine image in India(for the religion in art and culture series I'd love to do--already did The Bible and Its Influence and I have a good book on Islamic art). Excellence in Literature series, although I already have several complete literature courses and my daughter actually is taking outside classes for writing and lit right now! The If Odyssey: a philosophical journey through myth and storytelling for 8-16 year olds (to go along with my Vandiver lectures and Classical Mythology and More, which I already have in addition to innumerable translations of the original texts). The teacher's discs to go along with Georgia Public Broadcasting's chemistry and physics courses, even though we will likely never do physics in high school and I have lots of chemistry resources.

Hello, my name is Karen and I'm a curriculaholic and married to a bookaholic (I'm one as well, am I 2E in this department? ;) . I have one child who is entering high school and am planning on outsourcing a lot going forward. For that one child, I have 3 six foot bookshelves crammed full of homeschool materials, which doesn't include the roughly 4000 other books we have (primarily nonfiction on art, literature, religion, history, languages, etc), where most of the primary source material is housed. We have 19 very full bookcases in the house even with routine culling and trading in books.

Oooohhhh....you are all very very bad....bad bad bad....very bad!

I need the Armadillos series, the "Horrible _____" series - all of them, MCT LA, ....

Games - we need more games.  We have Muggins & Knockout.  We could use the other games by Muggins.  They are awesome!

My 1yo needs some stuff too...montessori is calling my name...

You don't actually want MPH science. BTDT and I wouldn't recommend them.

So instead of writing off this program, I went online to check it out. We love, love, love BFSU, but I need a supplement (I don't need one really, but you know..:) ). Their new versions look like my kids would love them. Now comes the walk of shame. I just ordered 4B along with $100 worth of other things, which of course my kids need if they are to grow up intelligent. :) I need some therapy, really.

I want all the 7-12th grade TOPS books.

I want all of SWB history of the ________ world series WITH all their audio book versions.

I want all the arbor books too but have no idea who will use them. Perhaps the dog?

I just sold/ gave away a pile of writing books.

And now I want to use the money to buy discounted Great Courses that we might never watch.

Feels so good to let it all out.

So instead of writing off this program, I went online to check it out. We love, love, love BFSU, but I need a supplement (I don't need one really, but you know.. :) ). Their new versions look like my kids would love them. Now comes the walk of shame. I just ordered 4B along with $100 worth of other things, which of course my kids need if they are to grow up intelligent. :) I need some therapy, really.

I really don't need anything either. But because of this thread I'll probably succumb and get BFSU. I just want to read it!!!!

The If Odyssey: a philosophical journey through myth and storytelling for 8-16 year olds (to go along with my Vandiver lectures and Classical Mythology and More, which I already have in addition to innumerable translations of the original texts).

You are horrible. Simply horrible. But I also love you. :wub:

Any number of Teaching Company lecture series. A Workbook for Arguments: a complete course in critical thinking by David Morrow.  (which might replace my desire for the secularized version of Art of Argument with dvds). Art History Workbook (vols 1 and 2) by Kerrin Neu (to go along with the 2 or 3 art history series I already have). Drawing on Religion: anime, manga, and religion in contemporary Japan  and  Darsan: seeing the divine image in India(for the religion in art and culture series I'd love to do--already did The Bible and Its Influence and I have a good book on Islamic art). Excellence in Literature series, although I already have several complete literature courses and my daughter actually is taking outside classes for writing and lit right now! The If Odyssey: a philosophical journey through myth and storytelling for 8-16 year olds (to go along with my Vandiver lectures and Classical Mythology and More, which I already have in addition to innumerable translations of the original texts). The teacher's discs to go along with Georgia Public Broadcasting's chemistry and physics courses, even though we will likely never do physics in high school and I have lots of chemistry resources.

Hello, my name is Karen and I'm a curriculaholic and married to a bookaholic (I'm one as well, am I 2E in this department? ;) . I have one child who is entering high school and am planning on outsourcing a lot going forward. For that one child, I have 3 six foot bookshelves crammed full of homeschool materials, which doesn't include the roughly 4000 other books we have (primarily nonfiction on art, literature, religion, history, languages, etc), where most of the primary source material is housed. We have 19 very full bookcases in the house even with routine culling and trading in books.

Okay must have.  We are currently working though Vandiver the Iliad and classical mythology right now. 

At least the stuff I posted in my first post in this thread was stuff I keep drooling over but will never buy.  Now this though I must get.

I want all of SWB history of the ________ world series WITH all their audio book versions.

I want the ancient history & Renaissance ones even though I've yet to actually finish the medieval book, which has been sitting on my dresser partially read for an embarrassingly long time.

I want Sister Wendy's DVDs. And Artistic Pursuits. And Lifepac Art. And now, thanks to Karen, I want the Neu Art History workbooks and of course the Gardner's text that they accompany. Yes, me with the child who groans whenever it is declared to be time for art.

Jousting Armadillos and Patty Paper Geometry are the two that are calling me most, but we're just not ready for them yet. We need to make it through long division first. Argh.

Not being ready has never stopped me before! :) All you need to do is convince yourself that you MUST work thought it first if you are going to be successful at teaching it. :)

Sigh

I just sold/ gave away a pile of writing books.

And now I want to use the money to buy discounted Great Courses that we might never watch.

Feels so good to let it all out.

ROFLOL at the bold above.

As for what you just got rid of, I'd love to know what you sold/gave away. But if you love me, you won't tell me. Friends don't let curriculum obsessors obsess more. 

Cherly in CA said: (Forgot to use the multiple quote option)

"In my school room I have 5 full size bookshelves and 5 shorter book shelves...and I still have stuff stored in the garage  :blushing:

Edited because I forgot about 2 bookshelves, LOL."

I refuse to admit how many bookshelves I have. My signature should reveal enough about me.

"In my school room I have 5 full size bookshelves and 5 shorter book shelves...and I still have stuff stored in the garage :blushing:

I refuse to admit how many bookshelves I have. My signature should reveal enough about me.

It does, but now I really need to know how many bookshelves you have!

Jousting Armadillos and Patty Paper Geometry are the two that are calling me most, but we're just not ready for them yet.  We need to make it through long division first.  Argh.

That's where Murderous Maths comes in. "Diabolical Division" in The Essential Arithmetricks is, I think, where it is addressed (p. 107-134 in my edition). There's a bunch of used ones at Amazon for under $1 + shipping. Just saying.

The previous pages introduce the topic thusly:

Or are you slightly suspicious? Are you getting that kind of creepy feeling that comes when....

* You pick some socks off a shelf in a shop and realize they are just a little bit too warm and clammy?

* You bite into an apple and see half a worm wiggling out of the other bit?

* You sit down in the cinema and gradually realize that the seat is damp?

* You're having a bath in an empty house and see the door handle start to turn?

* You get a valentine card in November?

If you are getting that creepy feeling, then it's no wonder because dividing is where even the most innocent little numbers suddenly become murderous. Yes, indeed, division is the gateway to mathematical hell, but we've come this far so there's no going back now. Get ready to hold your nose because we're going in.....

That's where Murderous Maths comes in. "Diabolical Division" in The Essential Arithmetricks is, I think, where it is addressed (p. 107-134 in my edition). There's a bunch of used ones at Amazon for under $1 + shipping. Just saying.

Stripe!  We *just* read this bit!  I have the whole Murderous Maths box set. :D

I want Supercharged Science Mastery K-12 because I've convinced myself that it's the rigorous, secular, science (with all materials included) unicorn that I've been chasing.

This thread is dangerous.  I now know where my tax return is going.

I hate to admit it, but I've owned most of these things listed.  Many were better in theory and were promptly sold. :p  Some were keepers, though.  Like MCT and the Horrible....books.  

Every.single.year. I buy OM after drooling and fretting over it for months and every.single.year. it doesn't work and I sell it.  Sigh.  When will I get smart?  Is that something you can buy? 

I also really want to use something like Sonlight.  But secular.  Alas.  

And see, it's hard to list what I want but don't "need" since I clearly need them all. 

Or are you slightly suspicious? Are you getting that kind of creepy feeling that comes when....

* You pick some socks off a shelf in a shop and realize they are just a little bit too warm and clammy?

If you are getting that creepy feeling, then it's no wonder because dividing is where even the most innocent little numbers suddenly become murderous. Yes, indeed, division is the gateway to mathematical hell, but we've come this far so there's no going back now. Get ready to hold your nose because we're going in.....

Ok, I ordered one, lol

Ok so I thought my book buying was done for a bit but then I came across these for $50...  20 Horrible History books, 20 Horrible Science books, 10 Murderous Math books, and 10 Horrible Geography books.  I really don't want to buy them but I REALLY want to buy them!!  What should I do?

Ok so I thought my book buying was done for a bit but then I came across these for $50...  20 Horrible History books, 20 Horrible Science books, 10 Murderous Math books, and 10 Horrible Geography books.  I really don't want to buy them but I REALLY want to buy them!!  What should I do?

Link it, and I'll buy it! Lol

"In my school room I have 5 full size bookshelves and 5 shorter book shelves...and I still have stuff stored in the garage  :blushing:

I'm sure you have me beat but I will admit that the above being just my school room.  I think in addition to that I have 1 very large full size bookcase, 1 regular full size bookcase, and 8 or 9 shorter bookcases.  I also have at least 4 full bins in the garage...and I just gave a bunch of stuff away.  I think I have a problem, LOL.

I want Supercharged Science Mastery K-12 because I've convinced myself that it's the rigorous, secular, science (with all materials included) unicorn that I've been chasing.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I bought Supercharged Science last year and we hardly used it. It was so overwhelming. But I bought an e-science subscription, if the one you're looking at is the super expensive one that comes with everything you need, that's probably easier to get done.

I have noticed that several here are interested in TC courses. If you did not already know, Audible has added many TC offerings and if you are a member the courses are able to be purchased with one credit. A membership costs something like $22 per month and you would receive two credits per month. It is an excellent way to build up your TC library.

So I was all ready to order this book, because it looks SOOOO good!  Only to find out that I already have it on my shelf.  :001_rolleyes:

For some reason, I really want to buy Moving Beyond the Page 9-11 for my ds. It just looks like something he'd really get into. But I can't get past the price tag!

ETA: And also, it doesn't look realistic for us, as far as me spending that much time with just one kid when I can combine content subjects. But I still feel tempted.

I have some you can get super cheap!  ;) Trying to tempt ya, I am, lol!!

This post might be the most dangerous post ever! :lol:

That 'If Odyssey' book.....I just have to have that. And all the other books in that series.