Menu

Just for Fun: Which Programs That You Don't Need Are Calling Your Name?

Crimson Wife

So funny reading about Arbor School and Jousting Armadillos. From my door to their door is a 3 minute drive! I am that close, and yet still homeschooling :)

I am trying not to have a wish list as I am heading off to a convention in less than 2 months and I already fear I will buy too much, but....

I also want JA

I have a huge Memoria Press and Classic Academic press wish list. Too much to list!

Then Timberdoodle, I want all the fun sets for the sciences. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually googled:  "My Father's Beautiful Heart of Sonlight" hoping to find someone who successfully merged the books in MFW, BF, HOD, and SL.  :lol:  And, yes, I came up with a couple websites that were helpful.  One lady, whom I don't remember, suggested not becoming a slave to someone else's booklist.  Smart woman she is.

The other thing that snookers me continually (and has for years) is LLATL.  I have once again amassed almost the whole series of TMs (used, thankfully).  My dc looked  at them and were like, "Meh.  More school books?  What was wrong with the R&S English that-we-all-don't-love-but-do-anyhow?"  I am not admitting how many times I have dived into this same rabbit hole.  I think I am keeping them this time.....so I can look at the pretty covers anytime I want to.....

I can't be the only one feeling the siren song despite needing another book on [insert topic] like needing a hole in my head. So 'fess up!

For oldest DD: the Arbor Center middle school math series (Jousting Armadillos, Crocodiles & Coconuts, Chuckles the Rocket Dog) http://www.arboralgebra.org/

For DS: Classical Academic Press Writing & Rhetoric

Wow! Exactly my thoughts, except that the Jousting Armadillos etc would be for DS and the CAP WR for DD in the future :)

I'm also semi-attracted to Zaccharo's Real World math problems or something like that, but I need to remind myself that Dolciani's Pre-Algebra and Foerster's Algebra both stress real world problems.

When would you start the Jousting Armadillos book, after MM5 or MM6?

After MM 5, for sure, and after the basic arithmetic introduced and/or reviewed in  MM 6 is mastered - meaning, the student should be solid on fractions, decimals, and percents without variables - JA jumps in to using them with variables so you should be solid on those before starting.  JA does cover integers from scratch, and it does ratios and proportions in the context of algebraic fractions, but I think most students will need more than 5th grade math before they can jump right in to that - there is a nice practice problem set and a short review problem set with each lesson, but there isn't a ton of practice problems.

We ran through MM6, reviewing the concepts we needed to, in the first half of 6th grade, and then used JA.  JA doesn't take the whole year, so I don't see any reason why you couldn't do both in 6th, provided your student doesn't need to do every lesson in MM6.  And, if they do need to do every lesson in MM6, they should do it - they aren't ready for JA yet.

I hope that helps.  You could give your kid the MM6 end of year test, or the chapter tests, and just cover the chapters they need to, and then start JA. 

Oh, and CAP's Art of Poetry, too, though that's clearly a high-school level program and we're still working through Figuratively Speaking.
:leaving:

I just had to laugh when I saw this. I bought CAPs Art of Poetry last year... Not because I needed it, I still have a few years, but because I HAD to check it out. Feeling remarkably pathetic now, lol.

Audible is one of those things that make me a tad mad. Do I have to pay a monthly subscription to be able to buy audiobooks? That doesn't make any sense.

You don't have to have a subscription on Audible at all - only an Amazon account.  It is just far, far cheaper to buy certain books if you get a subscription.   And the subscription doesn't have any time constraint either - you can plan out what you want to buy and cancel your subscription as soon as you've bought everything you want.

I really really want All About Reading Pre-Level 1. I've spent quite a bit of time talking myself out of it...and then I look at it again.

I also really like the look of all the boxed curriculums. I don't feel they would be right for us ( plus ridiculously expensive - looking at you, Calvert!) but I still can't stop looking at them.

AAR both the pre-level 1 and level 1 have been our favorite curriculums here.  both got my younger kids reading, dd6 LOVES Ziggy the zebra, after our dog ate the Ziggy that came with the deluxe kit I had to order in a new one because she was completely heartbroken.  Ziggy joins us in other lessons sometimes too because she just adores the addition.  SO I say stop talking yourself out of it.  It is expensive but I have found it to be worth every penny.

For those of you who want CAP W&R...

Just go ahead and get it while making peace with eating more beans and potatoes for a while! It's stunning!

I agree completely.  Both of my kids did a lesson today, the 2nd grader in Fable and the 6th grader in Narrative 2.  They both outdid themselves, I have to say! And they love the program. 

For those of you who want CAP W&R...

Just go ahead and get it while making peace with eating more beans and potatoes for a while! It's stunning!

I agree completely.  Both of my kids did a lesson today, the 2nd grader in Fable and the 6th grader in Narrative 2.  They both outdid themselves, I have to say! And they love the program.

Mine just came yesterday right before gymnastics, I brought it to the gym with me so I could look through it. It looks great. I am trying to decide whether to start a bit this year or do really boring writing for a month or so with my son and then he will be extra loving W&R, LOL. He is still finishing up phonics and doing a bit of grammar, so I did not want to do much writing with him earlier.