Menu

NY Times: Owning Up to Being a Homeschool Parent

ILiveInFlipFlops

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the people she works with know she's a homeschooler now... ;)

It was nice to read an article that didn't bash the school principal, and that wasn't judgmental of everyone who homeschools differently than the author. It wasn't exactly filled with valuable information, but I think it presented homeschooling in a positive light -- particularly for those who wouldn't consider themselves to be stereotypical homeschool material, yet are still thinking of giving it a try.

Well I certainly don't homeschool on the down low, but I do understand the issue of homeschooling around work hours and trying to balance being seen as a dedicated professional in the work place while still devoting so much time and energy to educating the kids at home.  With so many naysayers to homeschooling in general it's tough when they feel you either can't school properly if you are a working mom, or feel you can't do your job properly if you are a homeschooling mom.  Like there is no way on god's green earth that you could do both well.

I would think it would be a no-no to admit that you are homeschooling during hours that you are supposed to be working. But, I would feel the same way about taking care of an infant or preschooler during working hours.

The article is not talking about homeschooling during hours that you are being paid to work though.  The writer has a sitter for when she is at work and homeschools around those hours.  Much like most who both work and homeschool, they are not doing both at the same moment in time, but for example I work split shifts. My hours just changed today, so now thinking about M-F only not my weekend hours, I work 5-7am at job 1, 730-830 at job 2, plus some admin hours as needed, I decide how many and which days.  Then I am home to teach for several hours.  Then back to job #2 from 3-6, take the kids to activities then back to job #1 for an hour.  It's not like being a lawyer like the writer, but it is still working and needing to devote my full energy and devotion to the job I am at at the time.  Everything gets compartmentalized.  There should be no reason to get mommy tracked or seen as less than profressional if you homeschool your kids, but unless you work fulltime and follow the mainstream as far as daycare and ps go you are.  It is assumed by many that you are not capable of doing both, they don't see that work is work, and schooling is schooling, and parents who do both successfully are very good at keeping each thing separated.

I guess what led me to believe she was schooling during work hours was because she referenced taking calls while diapering, as if she has always handled domestic activities and work activities simultaneously. My point was that the reason you wouldn't open up to co-workers has nothing to do with homeschooling but everything to do with having something else taking your attention away from work while you are supposed to be working.

I totally get what you are saying, though. If she is in an office doing her job during work hours, she can certainly devote other hours to schooling.

I guess what led me to believe she was schooling during work hours was because she referenced taking calls while diapering, as if she has always handled domestic activities and work activities simultaneously. My point was that the reason you wouldn't open up to co-workers has nothing to do with homeschooling but everything to do with having something else taking your attention away from work while you are supposed to be working.

I totally get what you are saying, though. If she is in an office doing her job during work hours, she can certainly devote other hours to schooling.

I think what she meant was that she hadn't limited her availability for work actvities to only her time in the office, but had continued taking calls and checking email while she was supposed to be off and caring for her children.

I don't read it that way. I read it to mean that she took calls outside of her work hours. So, she's technically off the clock, but the phone rings while she's home and she answered it not ulike any number of jobs where one often has to take a call while at home with your family.

My point was that the reason you wouldn't open up to co-workers has nothing to do with homeschooling but everything to do with having something else taking your attention away from work while you are supposed to be working.

I think her not wanting to open up about homeschooling had everything to do with the stereotypes of homeschooling.  Homeschooling is not common where I live.  I don't mention the fact that we homeschool unless I am directly asked where my kids attend school for the exact reasons this woman didn't mention homeschooling to her co-workers.

Like a lot of professionals who shift to a PT role, she made herself available via phone/email after her actual reduced schedule.  She says specifically she did this so as to minimize the appearance of being on the "mommy track" and thus being perceived as less committed to her job.  This is why a lot of such jobs are dubbed "PT in pay only". 

This part really resonated with me:

What bolsters my wavering confidence are my daughter, who begs to continue home schooling, and, surprisingly, how much fun we are having. Our educational collaboration transcends the mother-daughter conflicts of impending adolescence: Together we are co-conspirators in a counterculture adventure, eating our academic dessert first whenever we like.

Most people I have encountered have been relatively positive when they learn that we homeschool third grade. But many have said, "Oh, just wait. You'll want to send her back to school when she's a teenager!" Maybe that's true; dd is only 8 so time will tell. But right now, the best part about homeschool is how much fun we have together. We can take the time to explore the things she loves, and we bond over books and topics that we find piques both our interests. We spent all morning putting together a display board for her science fair project, combining her love of cooking and science and my affinity for crafts and organization. It was great! She just brought me a handmade card that said, "Thank you, Mom." We go swimming in the middle of the day and out for lunch.

We rarely had time for such things when our routine was work-school-homework-sports practice-bed-get up and do it again.

I think her not wanting to open up about homeschooling had everything to do with the stereotypes of homeschooling.  Homeschooling is not common where I live.  I don't mention the fact that we homeschool unless I am directly asked where my kids attend school for the exact reasons this woman didn't mention homeschooling to her co-workers.

I did not care for her reference to denim jumpers in her post for this reason (also the "homeschool Barbie" blog post discussed the other day). How are we ever going to let non-HSers know how mainstream today's HSing really is when people keep perpetuating outdated stereotypes?

I went to 3 different museum/aquarium homeschool days in the past month and out of all those hundreds of HS families I saw there, only one was dressed in non-mainstream attire. If an outside observer didn't specifically know that it was a HS day, I don't think that he/she would realize that there was anything different about the families attending.

I did not care for her reference to denim jumpers in her post for this reason (also the "homeschool Barbie" blog post discussed the other day). How are we ever going to let non-HSers know how mainstream today's HSing really is when people keep perpetuating outdated stereotypes?

I went to 3 different museum/aquarium homeschool days in the past month and out of all those hundreds of HS families I saw there, only one was dressed in non-mainstream attire. If an outside observer didn't specifically know that it was a HS day, I don't think that he/she would realize that there was anything different about the families attending.

You are in the Bay Area, right? What is mainstream or common varies by the location. Here, I go to an event 10 miles into the center of the city and I am certainly not seeing any denim jumpers or waist length hair. 10 miles in the other direction towards a farm visit or whatnot though, I just might. But only if the visit is a homeschool event. Stereotypes exist for a reason. I think finding humor in them is ok and can even be part of moving past them. I laugh at myself and my own excursions into being a stereotype all the time.

She is using the term 'denim jumper crowd' as a euphamism for lifestyle choices/religious beliefs, not actual clothing. And that crowd does seem to be the standard bearer for homeschoolers in popular culture.

If one of those observers talked to some of those homeschooling families at the museum they well might discover those families were very different from the mainstream. Or not. I don't know your area and what the general homeschooling population is like.

My biggest challenge when I 'come out' as a homeschooler is overcoming the mainstream ideas of what homeschoolers are like, and it has nothing to do with denim jumpers. It has everything to do with seeing the Duggar family on TV or just knowing who they are. For most people that is all they know of homeschoolers. Well, them and the occasional fundamentalist religious cult or presidential candidate. I can totally understand her fear, as a lawyer in a corporate setting, not wanting to be associated with those sort of images. The corporate world can be very unforgiving to anyone who stands out or seems different.

It isn't stereotypes about clothing that keep non homeschoolers from knowing how mainstream today's homeschooling really is. Honestly, I am not sure anyone could claim that homeschooling is mainstream. It might be becoming more diverse, but I don't think we can claim homeschooling to be mainstream.

She is using the term 'denim jumper crowd' as a euphamism for lifestyle choices/religious beliefs, not actual clothing. And that crowd does seem to be the standard bearer for homeschoolers in popular culture.

If one of those observers talked to some of those homeschooling families at the museum they well might discover those families were very different from the mainstream. Or not. I don't know your area and what the general homeschooling population is like.

My biggest challenge when I 'come out' as a homeschooler is overcoming the mainstream ideas of what homeschoolers are like, and it has nothing to do with denim jumpers. It has everything to do with seeing the Duggar family on TV or just knowing who they are. For most people that is all they know of homeschoolers. Well, them and the occasional fundamentalist religious cult or presidential candidate. I can totally understand her fear, as a lawyer in a corporate setting, not wanting to be associated with those sort of images. The corporate world can be very unforgiving to anyone who stands out or seems different.

It isn't stereotypes about clothing that keep non homeschoolers from knowing how mainstream today's homeschooling really is. Honestly, I am not sure anyone could claim that homeschooling is mainstream. It might be becoming more diverse, but I don't think we can claim homeschooling to be mainstream.

The HSers I know IRL may be a bit crunchier than the PS parents I know IRL, but not any more so than the parents I know who send their kids to Waldorf schools or other progressive private schools.

That would actually make an interesting exercise: get all the HSers and Waldorf/progressive school parents I know into a room and forbid them from making any reference to their children's education. After talking to each of them for 20 minutes, guess whether they are a HSer or a private school parent. I'd be willing to bet that most people couldn't tell any difference.

The HSers I know IRL may be a bit crunchier than the PS parents I know IRL, but not any more so than the parents I know who send their kids to Waldorf schools or other progressive private schools.

That would actually make an interesting exercise: get all the HSers and Waldorf/progressive school parents I know into a room and forbid them from making any reference to their children's education. After talking to each of them for 20 minutes, guess whether they are a HSer or a private school parent. I'd be willing to bet that most people couldn't tell any difference.

Where you happen to live is hardly representative of the entire country. 

You live in an area that is pretty unique for this country and not at all representative. Try the fly-over country, ahem, rural Midwest.

The "crunchy" homeschoolers are a minority here (and Waldorf parents to who you refer in your other post do not exist, as the closest Waldorf school is 100 miles away in the city)

Many homeschoolers are easily identified from a far distance by their attire. Maybe not denim jumpers exactly, but home sewn ankle length dresses, and a certain hard to describe wholesome, well-scrubbed look. Stereotypes are alive and well for a reason.

I guess I live in a unique area as well. I have yet to come across a denim jumper (or the stereotypical homeschooler).

I have found them at homeschooling events north of my uber liberal crunch crunch crunchy area. Events that draw from a larger area. Of course they are seeing a pretty good approximation of a Seattle stereotype in me so we all have our calling cards. It doesn't stop us from being friendly.

Based on my small Seattle sample size I could conclude that homeschoolers are mainly affluent white liberal college educated atheists bedazzled in REI gear who drive Subarus and hike a lot. But that population is hardly the majority of homeschoolers nationwide or even when just looking at my state as a whole.

I guess I live in a unique area as well.  I have yet to come across a denim jumper (or the stereotypical homeschooler).

This cries out for a s/o Poll, does it not?

FWIW, while I know lots of hip, modern hs moms such as myself  :coolgleamA: , I do know some you can pigeonhole from a freakin' mile away. They look like the paper-doll version of homeschool mom. I was in Costco recently and saw this mom with her khaki, ankle-length skirt, blue oxford button-down shirt, sensible shoes, long hair in a braid down the back, with four Duggar-esque kids in tow - collared shirts, khaki pants. If they were not homeschoolers, I would eat my shorts.  :lol:

I dunno. Looks can be deceiving. I've had some people pretty confused with a long twill skirt I own and my raging addiction to turtleneck sweaters. Once I had a very strange interaction at Planned Parenthood and it dawned on me that the woman I was talking to was thinking I was conflicted or worried about birth control. Really, I just wanted to pick up my supplies and go. But honestly, my long skirt, head scarf, long braid and turtleneck on a warm day probably gave her some ideas about me that were totally off the mark. Ideas she wouldn't have necessarily gotten from me on my jeans and hoodie days.

This cries out for a s/o Poll, does it not?

FWIW, while I know lots of hip, modern hs moms such as myself  :coolgleamA: , I do know some you can pigeonhole from a freakin' mile away. They look like the paper-doll version of homeschool mom. I was in Costco recently and saw this mom with her khaki, ankle-length skirt, blue oxford button-down shirt, sensible shoes, long hair in a braid down the back, with four Duggar-esque kids in tow - collared shirts, khaki pants. If they were not homeschoolers, I would eat my shorts.  :lol:

I know her. She's not a homeschooler.

(Not really. I just want to see someone actually eat their shorts.)

Did you give her your number? :P

Cat

I live in the Midwest in a city with a state university.  I see both the denim jumper crowd and the tattooed, Birkenstock, power of crystals crowd. I like them all.  There are also a fair number of people like me, who are homeschooling because they have quirky kids who will not thrive in the public schools.  It is a nice mix and we seem to all get along in our public school district sponsored home school organization.  I liked the article.  I think the point of it is that home schooling can be the solution for a lot of families.  I also understand why it is difficult to "come out" as a home schooler.  People who are happy with the public schools can be very judgmental of someone who has had a different experience.  

It seemed more about corporate life being indifferent to family life, if you ask me, and that isn't news.

I had zero to no sympathy for the author's non-existent dilemma.  I know too many working homeschool moms who don't have hubby bringing in a professional salary or who can't afford sitters and fancy extra curriculars, to think she's doing it tougher than most.

If she doesn't want to be on mommy track, maybe her husband could work part time and school the daughter ? Idk. They have a lot of options and the luxury of ruminating about them.

Where does she ask for sympathy? Where does she say she has it any tougher than anyone else?

Her dilemma was that public school wasn't meeting her child's educational needs and a more challenging private school was beyond her means. How is that so different from many of the parents on this board? I am sure lots here can relate to being in that situation. I sure can.

I enjoy indulging in a little class envy as much as the next person, but I really don't see where she is asking for pity or claiming to be a poor little rich girl. So she's a lawyer and she wants to keep working as a lawyer while she gives her child the best educational experience she can. Why do you place so much focus on "fancy extra curriculars" and luxury?

What do you think she should have done? Do you think she shouldn't have written the opinion piece? All she can do is share her reality and that is it. I don't see her whining about it. In fact, she says she enjoys it very much and is glad to be homeschooling.

Based on my small Seattle sample size I could conclude that homeschoolers are mainly affluent white liberal college educated atheists bedazzled in REI gear who drive Subarus and hike a lot.

Can I come??? I would feel so much more at home among that population... If I lived in Seattle, I'd probably even drive an Outback.

It seemed more about corporate life being indifferent to family life, if you ask me, and that isn't news.

I had zero to no sympathy for the author's non-existent dilemma.  I know too many working homeschool moms who don't have hubby bringing in a professional salary or who can't afford sitters and fancy extra curriculars, to think she's doing it tougher than most.

If she doesn't want to be on mommy track, maybe her husband could work part time and school the daughter ? Idk. They have a lot of options and the luxury of ruminating about them.

I did not feel that she asked for sympathy at all, nor that she was complaining about having it tough or about having a dilemma -other than the dilemma that there were no schools in town to meet her child's needs, not even the fancy expensive private school. That is a dilemma many of us face - and solve by homeschooling.

It is just a reality that homeschooling while continuing a career is different from most other homeschoolers. And I can definitely sympathize with her wish to work homeschooling around her professional life; I would not have quit my job to homeschool, because I need it to keep me sane.

Can I come??? I would feel so much more at home among that population... If I lived in Seattle, I'd probably even drive an Outback.

My friend and I joke that they issue Subaru Outbacks at the city limits to all new arrivals documenting that they work for one of the big tech companies.  I however roll an 8 9 year old Camry.  But I do spend a lot on my rain gear and glasses and wear Seattle-shoes, so I fit in.  Except when I pull out the ankle length twill skirt when my jeans are too dirty to stretch one more wear out of them...

My friend and I joke that they issue Subaru Outbacks at the city limits to all new arrivals documenting that they work for one of the big tech companies.  I however roll an 8 year old Camry.  But I do spend a lot on my rain gear and glasses and wear Seattle-shoes, so I fit in.  Except when I pull out the ankle length twill skirt when my jeans are too dirty to stretch one more wear out of them...

If I were near the mountains, I'd like a four wheel drive with a bit more clearance to get me to the trailheads. Here we drive regular cars because it's not an issue (no mountains, sigh), but if we were anywhere pretty, I'd rather have an outback than an SUV.

What are Seattle-shoes?

I very much wish that I could have kept my job but still been a homeschooler. However it was a 24/7 job and I had to wear a beeper (remember beepers?) and be on call weeknights and weekends. I couldn't even figure out how to parent and keep my job, much less homeschool.

The only regret I have about homeschooling is I gave up a job I adored. But, it really was a job meant for a young person with few commitments. But I loved it and was very good at it.

What are Seattle-shoes?

Oh, just the stereotype that women in Seattle only wear "ugly" shoes like clogs, clarks, born, keens and naots or hiking shoes.  I pretty much live in laceless converse, keen trail shoes or these brown keen boots.  I don't think it is exclusive to Seattle at all.  But we tend to be pretty casual and people don't tend to dress up all that much.  You will certainly see as more birkenstocks and clogs at the opera here than you would heels and wingtips. 

Oh, just the stereotype that women in Seattle only wear "ugly" shoes like clogs, clarks, born, keens and naots or hiking shoes.  I pretty much live in laceless converse, keen trail shoes or these brown keen boots.  I don't think it is exclusive to Seattle at all.  But we tend to be pretty casual and people don't tend to dress up all that much.  You will certainly see as more birkenstocks and clogs at the opera here than you would heels and wingtips. 

Oh, then I'm good in the shoe department! Love my Keens (sandals and hiking shoes), and adore my new Clarks which I bought for work. 

I didn't even see her as posting as an elite woman.  I work, homeschool and have my kids in multiple extracurriculars, that doesn't make me elite.  I don't consider them luxuries, they are part of raising a well rounded individual.  The only difference is I don't have a sitter taking them to their activities, if I did perhaps I would be less stressed.  I saw her posting as saying hey, I am a normal working woman not some stereotype, or fundie, or recluse, and I am finding success in homeschooling.  So what if it is an opinion piece, it is nice to see something positive for once rather than yet another one about the horrors of homeschooling and how backwards and socially inept someone's neighbor's sister's boyfriend's cousin's were because they homeschooled.   I think it was a nice sweet piece showing that it doesn't have to be an either/or situation.  You can still work in a career and homeschool as well.  How many times have we all heard comments like "we can't homeschool, some of us actually have to work", or "must be nice to be able to afford that" etc.  Yes I am sure she makes a good income as a PT lawyer, and it sounds like her dh makes more than that.  So what.  The point wasn't how much they do or don't make, but that one can really work in a professional field and homeschool, even if they are too worried to say so outloud at work. 

Yep, I was too harsh. I guess I'm sick of hearing about the experiences of 'elite' women. If the article had a clearer point, I probably wouldn't have reacted so negatively to it.

I don't really see the point of her opinion piece. It's not news that corporations don't want to hear about family life. It's not news that people withdraw children from public school for all sorts of reasons. It's not news that moms struggle to work and homeschool.

Meh. She just rubbed me the wrong way. I relate better to opinion pieces by battlers, not that you see those often.

It's not news to us, but I bet it's news to a lot of mainstream society. I think that for the most part, people still think that the vast majority of homeschoolers are of the uber-sheltering, evangelical Christian, patriarchal-home sort--the denim jumper types, as mentioned above. WE know this isn't true, so her article is not news to us. A homeschooling corporate lawyer is probably pretty surprising for a lot of people. And you have to consider the source as well. The NYT has a fairly specific demographic market, and they tend to be the liberal types who strongly support public school systems (and I say this as a pretty liberal voter myself--I'm under no illusions!).

Also, I don't really see it as an opinion piece. The Motherlode is really just a high-profile blog. My sense is not so much that the author is arguing for or against anything. She's simply sharing her experience (and most likely drumming up readership for her personal blog as well).

Oh Seattle. Recently there was a tussle on a Seattle home schooling facebook page over whether people should be allowed to post creationist events, or whether this was . . . idk. I honestly don't see what the objection was. But it's hard to imagine that coming up in Nebraska.

Where you happen to live is hardly representative of the entire country.

Where I live is not all that different from where the majority of New York Times readers are living. Most NYT readers are educated, affluent, and live in or near "blue" state cities. People like the blog post author (lawyer living in the D.C. metro area).