Menu

qustion about "On the Shores of Silver Lake" by Laura Ingalls

Iskra

You know, I felt that way,too. But, then I thought of my SIL. She comes from a very functional, loving family. However, she claims her father was abusive because he didn't support her. What she "means" though is that, when she made choices he didn't agree with morally, he didn't support her verbally. He still spoke to her, initiated contact, told her he loved her, helped her financially, let her and her husband stay in his home when they needed to. Her problem is that she felt like, if he loved her, he would never, ever express any disapproval of anything she did.

Rose made decisions about lifestyle that were very counter to what Laura believed. I can easily see how she might consider Laura's nonacceptance as coldness. But that doesn't mean that the sum total of Laura's mothering *was* cold.

:iagree: :iagree:

Just for fun, and because I know this recipe is already well published all over the place, here is Laura's gingerbread recipe for those who don't have it.  This is delicious with homemade cinnamon/vanilla whipped cream.

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup shortening

1 cup molasses

2 tsp baking soda

1 cup boiling water measured in a 2 cup (or larger) measuring cup

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp each ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and ground cloves

1/2 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 x 9 baking pan.

2. Blend the sugar and the shortening and mix in the molasses.

3. Add the baking soda to the boiling water, and mix well.

4. Combine the flour and the spices and sift. Combine the sugar-molasses mixture with the flour mixture and the baking soda-water liquid.  Mix ingredients well and pour into prepared pan.

5. Bake for 45 minutes or until cake tester inserted in the center of the gingerbread comes out clean.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

That is the weirdest of the "Little House" books, in my opinion. And Jack dies, which makes me cry like a baby ever since I read it at nine. So, when we get to that one, my kids read it to themselves, and then I pick up with "Long Winter". My kids think I'm insane for crying over a dog that died almost 150 years ago, but there you have it. I loved that dog. :D

I'm re reading Prairie with my DS, I knew jack comes back, but I still cried A) when they thought he drowned and B) when he found them.

I may be insane. Lol

I still haven't decided whether or not I'm going to tell little ds about about Jack before or after we read Silver Lake again.

I do think that the title bar of the link I posted would make a good name for an emo band, but anyone young enough to have an emo band wouldn't have grown up with LIW the way we did and couldn't possibly understand.

• Like 1

Personally, I think Rose was bipolar. That's just my impression from reading a few biographies on her life, not my official medical opinion. And I don't think Rose wrote the Little House books, per se. She was just a heavy handed editor. Which doesn't bother me in the least. It's a collaborative family story. I think that's great.

Well pa behaved very much like the bipolar father of a friend of mine so I wouldn't be surprised if Rose was too.

Ha! I took a picture. Is it only looking weird on IDevices? It's pretty, but I have old, defective eyes.

7A5AD6F9-E68A-447F-B177-0802422C9875-139

Well I didn't do a dang thing to any of them! lol

I don't even pick any fonts, I just start typing. Sometimes its so small I can barely see it and when I click on the size button it just won't stay bigger.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen that font a few times and I can't read it either. Sadly I skip over posts that use it.

I not only have bad eyes but I grew up with am italic type font. I read forums rapidly so I don't often have the time to slow and study it. I thought I was the only one.

I have seen that font a few times and I can't read it either. Sadly I skip over posts that use it.

I not only have bad eyes but I grew up with am italic type font. I read forums rapidly so I don't often have the time to slow and study it. I thought I was the only one.

^^^I'm seeing it in Comic Sans font.

Same here.  I wondered what the hub-bub was about until I saw the screenshots.  I found it a little bit humorous before that because Comic Sans used to be the default font for the readers who use the transcription service I provide due to its readability in that context. 

Weird that some see a script font!  I checked both me laptop and my cell phone and it looks Comic Sans on both. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

No, that's not it, either...  It's been one of the basic fonts on Macs for more than 10 years, because I used it for my web design at least that long ago.  Probably more like 15-20.

I first saw it as that rounded grade-school-type print, Comic Sans (typed in Comis Sans here, btw) also, on my MacBook, as well as my desktop, a Mac mini.  

After the hub-bub, I had to look it up on my iPhone and then I see the cursive font.  What's more interesting, is that it's just a font generated in the pull-down in the reply window.  

I wonder if my iOs would read it as a script font if I found it on a webpage, or if it's just something here...

ETA:  OK, so I'm a nerd.  
I just went to a webpage with Comic Sans and my phone is defaulting to Verdana or something blocky like that.  It's something on the forum that makes iOS go to this quirky script font, not the device itself.  

• Like 1

I just wanted to thank everyone who posted to this great thread!  There is so much information here!  I loved the Little House books (though I only read one or two) as a child.  My 2 1/2 year old is totally in love with the picture book series.  Of course her favorite is "Jack".  (I'm so sad to hear that Jack was sold :-( ).  I'm hoping that I can go through this series with her as she gets older.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I told ds the truth about Jack. He doesn't want to read the rest of the book now, but he's still a bit young.

It would have felt dishonest to me not to, but I'm still sad.

I grew up thinking of Laura as almost a family member and I went through my older kids' rite of passage of mourning for Jack and the loss of childhood. We visited Rocky Ridge every summer before 9/11 ended forever our airplane days.

I'm not going to lie to my digital native. Pa sold Jack with the horses. Watchdogs were worth money and the Ingalls family needed money more than they needed a pet. The Little House books are works of fiction. This is 2015, not 1972.

• 1 year later...

Update: ds is now nine and we are reading the Little House books again, but this time without skipping over any of the ugly. He sees it, points it out, and recognizes parallels to modern ugly. The characters and the cozier scenes are familiar to him from the Renee Graef picture books.

It's going very well. I'm glad I gave him a few extra years to grow into the difficult issues that were invisible to me at six but which modern young readers easily recognize in these books. Laura is still part of our family and her perspective is valuable.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Okay so this thread is three years old, but thought it was funny it popped up today. 

Tomorrow, February 7th, is Laura's 150th birthday. 

Check out my dear friend's blog for more.  

http://www.decortoadore.net/2017/02/a-town-party-happy-150th-birthday-laura.html

My friend is Charles' great, great (maybe another great) niece.  My Laura's grandfather was Charles younger brother, the one that went away to the war and came back a little wild in "Little House in the Big Woods".

http://www.decortoadore.net/2017/02/a-town-party-happy-150th-birthday-laura.html

• Like 5