Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW4

Robin M

Jane -- Thank you for the great link. I just sent it to dh to use in some letters he is writing. He was already going to a meeting tonight where I am sure this topic will come up. Just how many things can people be expected to volunteer for? Dh and I looked at each other and rattled off the list of the new staff. It is that obvious who will end up having to take over. Our libriary offers many odd services which I would term as community based ie permits to drop large items off at a dump. We live a distance from our central library and rarely go into that town...in the past year the dc's and I have been to that twice and haven't been to the library there once.

Tress -- my assumption is two days a week because they turned five libraries into community libraries last year and two standard days is the most they are open. The one by my friends house is two hours on two days. She was about to start driving to my library as opposed to town.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where else to share my horrible library news with so I will share here...my library is going to be turned into a community library staffed by volunteers. I know it could be far worse, complete closure. I am furious at the wastefulness I see in my local government in many areas (new modern office building for most employees is one prime example) and the one service my family uses extensively is going to be cut to a one or two day a week opening most likely. Almost all our books are transferred in from other libraries (which are also becoming community libraries) so I suspect long waits for all my books in the future. I just can't understand why -- the dcs and I sat in a corner of the library last week for two hours while workmen were at our house. I was amazed by how busy the staff was helping members of the community with various problems . They work hard. Very few free minutes. I don't understand why this particular cutback at all.

How horrible! I'm so sorry to hear this. :'(

I couldn't get through Whose Body, but I was determined to read Sayers because everyone raves about her.  A friend (who pointed out that WB was Sayer's first book and that she got better) recommended The Nine Tailors which was great.  Strong Poison and Clouds of Witness were good too and I have Busman's Honeymoon on the kindle to read soon.  

Thanks, I might try one of those. I too started reading Whose Body because I heard so many good things about Sayers' books, and because I love mysteries.

mumto2, a little bit of hope (maybe).... A few years ago, there was a plan in our county to drastically cut back libraries -- planning to close many of the branches, cutting hours, etc.... There was outrage & many showed up to council meetings, wrote letters, etc... in defense of the libraries. So, they managed to find budget cuts mostly elsewhere. They still reduced staff & hours a bit & closed only one branch but it was much better than the original action they had planned. And, as of Jan. 1 this year, they've now expanded some of the hours again, so that's a step in the right direction.

Would making some calls/writing some letters help change minds or policy???

mumto2, that's awful. You're right, it could be worse but that's still pretty bad. A similar situation to what Stacia describes happened in my county a few year ago. People showed up in droves at county commission meetings protesting the closures. Some hours were cut back, but no libraries were closed. I think the commissioners were shocked to discover just how many people actually use the library (based on their surprise at the meeting turnout).

Wow, this thread is moving fast! Finished two books this/last week:

Among the Janeites: A Journey Through the  World of Jane Austen Fandom by Deborah Yaffe. Good read! Several good quotes about sharing beloved books and a fun look at attending a Regency-style ball.

Mastering the Art of French Eating:Lessons in Food and Love from a Year in Paris by Ann Mah. Another good read with some delicious-sounding recipes at the end of each chapter.

I'm not sure how this thread works but I wanted to chime in. I'm trying to read more this year and so far I have read The Story of the Trapp Family Singers, and Call The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times. Both of which I really enjoyed(well except for about one page in the Call the Midwife book that was too graphic for me, so I skipped a couple paragraphs). The next book I have on hold at the Library is about Beatrix Potter. Do any of you have suggestions for Non fiction, Bios, Auto Biography, and/or Memoirs? That is what I am interested in right now. I'm trying to make a list of books available at my library. :)

Do any of you have suggestions for Non fiction, Bios, Auto Biography, and/or Memoirs? That is what I am interested in right now. I'm trying to make a list of books available at my library. :)

Pink Boots and a Machete by Mireya Mayor

Passionate Nomad by Jane Fletcher Geniesse

The Monsters: Mary Shelley and the Curse of Frankenstein by Dorothy & Thomas Hoobler

Ok. Well, I joke about my water skiing experience, but it was nothing, nothing like hers was. Poor woman!

I was about 10yo & kept trying; I could get into a squatting position, but going to a standing position always ended up w/ me being yanked in the water headfirst. After many times of that, I got in the squatting position & just couldn't make myself go any further. My dad & Mr. P were in the boat & kept yelling & signalling for me to stand up but I refused. So, I went all the way around the lake in a squatting position. No injuries, though, other than a stinging sensation & a feeling that water skiing was not really for me. :rolleyes:

I've only been water skiing 3 or 4 times in my life, but I'm proud to say the most recent time was this last summer and I actually got up, after 3 or 4 tries and only for a spell.  I lasted until we had to turn the corner.  I couldn't get over the boat's wake and went plunging back in!  Snow skiing -- not my cuppa.  I'd rather sit by the fire and read.  Ice skating is fun, but it has been years and years.  

Not sure where else to share my horrible library news with so I will share here...my library is going to be turned into a community library staffed by volunteers.

Well this is just rotten!  We homeschooled through the many budgetary ups and downs of our branch library, but it never, ever was in any danger of becoming a volunteer run library with limited hours.  That's just nuts!  In my stereotype vision of England, everyone is very well read and scholarly and the downgrading of a town library could simply never happen. Of course, in my mind everyone is wearing tweed, too. That probably isn't the case is it?  Just like not all of us in Southern California are sexy blond surfers, lol!!

Back to last week's thread topic of traveling by train.  I'm in the pro train camp and would love one day to take the Trans-Siberian.  I stumbled upon this lovely essay today on the poetic aspects of traveling by train.  The Art of Trains

Negin posted this image today: 

which inspires me to comment on Paul Theroux's travel literature.  His travel books have given me the chance to see the world that life denied me. The life I made by choice, but the wanderlust is still there.  His book, Riding the Iron Rooster, about traveling in China in the early 1980s was so spot on to my own experiences there during the same time frame, that I wanted to grab perfect strangers and say "read this -- it really is just like this!!" I had come back from a summer spent in China frustrated with my inability to clearly or satisfactorily articulate my experiences, but he summed it all up perfectly.  I have happily traveled the world with him since, all from the comfort of my own home.  Someone mentioned his travel books in the last thread, commenting that he is such a grump.  I would counter that by recommending 2 of his most recent books, Dark Star Safari, on traveling down the Eastern half of Africa from Egypt to Jo-burg, (no trains -- lots of rickety mini-buses) and Ghost Train to the Eastern Star, where he traces his steps from his first travel book, The Great Railway Bazaar. He is much less of a grump in these last 2 books, far more introspective with more of himself in the books rather than just his misanthropic commentary on his fellow travelers.  If you've read him and dismissed him, give these 2 a try!!  

I'm not sure how this thread works but I wanted to chime in. I'm trying to read more this year and so far I have read The Story of the Trapp Family Singers, and Call The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times. Both of which I really enjoyed(well except for about one page in the Call the Midwife book that was too graphic for me, so I skip a couple paragraphs). The next book I have on hold at the Library is about Beatrix Potter. Do any of you have suggestions for Non fiction, Bios, Auto Biography, and/or Memoirs? That is what I am interested in right now. I'm trying to make a list of books available at my library. :)

I've enjoyed both books and...I know which page you're talking about! I agree - it felt really out of place in an otherwise lovely book. It felt as though the author was pushed to include something racey in the book.

I've enjoyed both books and...I know which page you're talking about! I agree - it felt really out of place in an otherwise lovely book. It felt as though the author was pushed to include something racey in the book.

I know it was really odd and not needed. Since you enjoyed both of the books I mentioned, do you have any book suggestions for me? I was hoping the library had the other Call the Midwife books but they only have that one right now. I did send them an email suggestion to get the rest. :) I especially enjoy books that deal with faith.

I haven't read any of the Call the Midwife books but I did finish "Lady Catherine and the Real Downton Abbey" by The Countess of Carnarvon recently. It was interesting,perhaps a bit too much detail about the life of the upper classes which I found distasteful. Tons of royal references etc if that is of interest -- that part was why I kept reading. ;)

I read the Lady Almina one last year when I was enjoying watching Downton -- they corresponded nicely. I liked that book far more.

I haven't read any of the Call the Midwife books but I did finish "Lady Catherine and the Real Downton Abbey" by The Countess of Carnarvon recently. It was interesting,perhaps a bit too much detail about the life of the upper classes which I found distasteful. Tons of royal references etc if that is of interest -- that part was why I kept reading. ;)

I read the Lady Almina one last year when I was enjoying watching Downton -- they corresponded nicely. I liked that book far more.

That sounds interesting. I have not actually seen Downton Abbey. :leaving:

Do any of you have suggestions for Non fiction, Bios, Auto Biography, and/or Memoirs? That is what I am interested in right now. I'm trying to make a list of books available at my library. :)

It's hard to say without knowing your likes and worldview. Some of what I'd recommend might send you running.  :lol:

The following are probably pretty safe recommendations though. 

For biography, autobios, and memoirs:

If You Ask Me, Betty White. If you're inclined to listen to audio books, try to get the audio version of this, as it's narrated by Ms. White herself. It was quite a treat listening to her tell her story.

Bossypants, Tina Fey. I love Tina Fey and her autobiography did not disappoint. If you aren't a fan, you probably won't care for this.

Stories I Only Tell My Friends, Rob Lowe. This one surprised me. I'm neither a fan nor a hater, so it wasn't even on my radar. For some reason it was among the free audio books I could get at audible.com and the only decent choice among a limited selection at the time. Turns out Pony Boy can write rather well. :) His life was more interesting than I expected it would be.

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin - The definitive autobiography, at least for Americans. 

Brain on Fire, My Month of Madness, Susannah Cahalan. Fascinating story/memoir of a young woman with a mysterious illness, and the doctors' race to diagnose and treat it.

General non-fiction:

Do You Believe in Magic: The Sense and Nonsense of Alternative Medicine, Dr. Paul Offit

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Rebecca Skloot - Timely considering the recent Supreme Court ruling on human gene patents.

The Monuments Men, Robert Edsel - Popular with many of us BaW'ers.

I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had, My Year as a Rookie Teacher at Northeast High, Tony Danza. I suppose this should go under memoirs. Another pleasant surprise.

And finally -

Orange is the New Black, Piper Kerman - controversial only because it seems to be a hated it or loved it kind of book.

That should get you started at least on researching to see which, if any, might interest you.

Twoxell -- Just wanted to add that I meant the timeframe corresponded not the characters with downton. The tv show is about a fictional estate in Yorkshire and the book takes place at Highclere Castle which is in the south somewhere, Berkshire maybe. They use Highclere for filming. There are elements that are the same the main ones being both Lords marry an American fortune to save their estate and estate becomes hospital during WWI. The storyline is very much the same in terms of the estate and social system decline set against the horror of WWI. The book was better -- can't even be bothered to watch the latest season which is sitting on the dvr waiting.

It's hard to say without knowing your likes and worldview. Some of what I'd recommend might send you running.

Yeah that is true but I think I can figure out if a book would interest me from looking at it on Amazon. I really like anything that gives me a clearer picture of history. I especially like things in the time period of 1890-1950 right now. The 1940's interests me the most. I am a Christian and don't want anything too racy or sexual but I'm not scared of medical stuff or some violence. I don't mind sad things but it has to have some inspiration to make it worth it. Is that as clear as mud? I really like historical documentaries especially the Ken Burns types. :)

Currently reading Accused by Lisa Scottoline. 

1.  Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, Amy Chua   Even at the end, I wasn't sure that she truly understood what her younger daughter needed.
2.  The Bride Collector, Ted Dekker      Had a great concept, but the story fell flat halfway through.  Nice insert of mentally ill characters that play a positive role.
3.  Touch & Go, Lisa Gardner     I loved this book!  Family dynamics gone awry when put under the test of a kidnapping. 

*I can no longer link for some reason.

Yeah that is true but I think I can figure out if a book would interest me from looking at it on Amazon. I really like anything that gives me a clearer picture of history. I especially like things in the time period of 1890-1950 right now. The 1940's interests me the most. I am a Christian and don't want anything too racy or sexual but I'm not scared of medical stuff or some violence. I don't mind sad things but it has to have some inspiration to make it worth it. Is that as clear as mud? I really like historical documentaries especially the Ken Burns types. :)

Have you read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks? See if that interests you:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Immortal-Life-Henrietta-Lacks/dp/1400052181/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390262182&sr=8-1&keywords=the+immortal+life+of+henrietta+lacks

1940's will include anything WWII. Some that I learned from this year are The Monuments Men, A Train in Winter, No Pretty Pictures, and The Hare with the Amber Eyes.

http://www.amazon.co...henrietta lacks

1940's will include anything WWII. Some that I learned from this year are The Monuments Men, A Train in Winter, No Pretty Pictures, and The Hare with the Amber Eyes.

That does sound interesting, and our library has it so that is a bonus. :) Thanks! Yes WW2 particularly fascinates me and always has, but I would also like to know more about WW1 since that topic is not as common.

I skated (and skied) all through childhood since I grew up in snow country. Skated to school, 6 freezing, beautiful miles with my boots and books on my back. I still had to hike to school once the skating part was over and my boots would often be frozen. I can still remember the feeling of putting my feet into those by then frozen solid boots.

I would skate ski a short distance to school in the winter.  My backpack would swing from side to side and it was a bit awkward.  I miss skiing so much.

I'm beginning the sixth chapter of Spiral, the next book after Ring.  What happened to the author???  I don't think the same person wrote this book as did the other one.  This book's writing is soooo much better than the last one.  According to the books, it is the same translator, so I guess it's just that the author has gotten better at his craft.  Also, this one is quite gripping right from out of the gate.  It says that it was written as a stand alone, which it probably is, but I think you would miss a lot of the nuances if you hadn't read Ring first.

This one is shaping up to be a great ride.  I hope it delivers!

I'm halfway through reading the first volume of The Tales of Genji by Lady Murasaki.  Its intriguing and amusing. The characters relate to each other sending notes of poetry. The men's discussion or should I say boys since Genji is only a teenager at this point about how a women should be and act is interesting and reveals a lot about the culture.  I wasn't sure was going to like it, but the story is growing on me. 

Now I09's post on Hild and the Triumph of the Skeptical Fantasy Novel makes me want to read it so much sooner, more soon, err, now rather than later and moving it up in the stacks.  

And check out The Gorgeous Art of Norah Borges, Jorge Luis Borges younger sister.  Makes me want to start drawing something.  

Plus, this two part post about UK Publishers and translated books they are excited about publishing in 2014 - Part 1 and Part 2.

So much to catch up on in just one day! Too lazy to multi quote but can I just say, Stacia, that story about your landlady's waterskiing experience :crying: I don't know what's worse, the visual or the idea of how much pain she must have been in. OMG! I, for one, have never gotten into a pair of water skis let alone up and this despite summers at the lake every year. The image of you and was it JennWinSoCal ? zooming around the lake while squatting...well, let me say, hats off to you ladies!

On the book front...

I spent most of the day out and about as chauffeur driving to various classes. Lots of time to read with the result that I'm about 50% of the way through my book on the genetic/biologic reasons behind anorexia. The book suffers from some pretty sloppy editing and the writer's somewhat narcissistic tendencies but I'll forgive her the latter simply because anyone who has lived through the hell of that disorder deserves some outbreathings of generosity and gentleness. At any rate the book is compelling enough that I will stick with it.

I had 30 mins. to duck into B&N for a bit where I read an article on Cate Blanchett whom I like a lot. She's starring in a movie called, The Monuments Men  which has been discussed here. The magazine also had an article on the book The Invisible Woman about Charles Dickens's mistress. As a result I downloaded both those samples onto my kindle. Along with two others by Susanna Kearsley, The Winter Sea and Shadowy Horses Not entirely sure about these last two. The covers drew me in and the subject material *could* be interesting if the writing isn't ruined by too much emotion or sloppy romance. I'm relearning what I like and don't like in fiction and romance in lit tends to make glaze over with boredom.

I also came across another book that looks promising and is very much outside of my usual genre. It's by Paul Sussman and is called, 'The Labyrinth of Osiris' Sample duly downloaded, we'll see if it's a fit. And finally for all the foodies here...Elizabeth David! Read! She is wonderful, part cultural anthropologist, part cook, part writer. Lots of the books are OOP but some are still available on Amazon.

In that vein I downloaded the sample of a book I really want to read but have been hesitant to because it's not available at the library and it's $. But I know I'm going to love it, 'Notes from the Larder', by Nigel Slater. It's one of those books that is probably better bought as a hardcover than a kindle book because the illustrations and photos are glorious.

Not sure where else to share my horrible library news with so I will share here...my library is going to be turned into a community library staffed by volunteers.

I feel your pain.  Any possibility that you could volunteer in a way that would directly benefit you?  For example, you could offer to be in charge of the book requests to other libraries in the system.

Yeah that is true but I think I can figure out if a book would interest me from looking at it on Amazon. I really like anything that gives me a clearer picture of history. I especially like things in the time period of 1890-1950 right now.

A couple of Bill Bryson's books might suit:

One Summer: America, 1927 (which I haven't read)

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid: A Memoir (about growing up in the fifties; I enjoyed it)

Regards,

Kareni

Started:

Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers

Still Reading:

Gold Cord by Amy Carmichael

The Living Page by Laurie Bestvater

Finished:

3. Washington Square by Henry James (liked the first half; hated the second half)

A few I'm reading with various dc:

Voyage of the Dawn Treader

King Arthur (Green's version)

The Princess and the Goblin

We finally said goodbye to the flu just in time to say hello to our second nasty stomach bug for 2014. I'm trying not to be whiny, but the situation has been gruesome here for three weeks now. Escaping to this thread to see all your links and books and lists and enthusiasm has been nice.

Whoo-hoo. I actually finished two books today.

First, I finished Aiding and Abetting by Muriel Spark. It was an odd, somewhat intriguing book. Interesting premise & unexpected conclusion, imo. For some reason, I've had Muriel Spark on my radar for awhile as an author I might really enjoy. I tried her book The Ballad of Peckham Rye a year or two ago but couldn't get into it. I tried this one because it was sitting on the shelf at the library. Not sure that I'm a Spark fan so far (would give Aiding & Abetting 3 stars, I think), but am willing to give her one more try. (I think my library has a copy of her book Memento Mori.)

And, I finished Sunjata by Bamba Suso & Banna Kanute. Loved it & found it magnificent as all epic tales tend to be. I also completely enjoyed reading all the notes & info about griots, the oral traditions of West Africa, heading down rabbit trails, & reading two different versions of the Sunjata story as presented in this book. If you're looking for a continental read for Africa, I'd recommend this one. :thumbup1:

Not sure if I'll get back into Russian Winter now or start some new books....

We finally said goodbye to the flu just in time to say hello to our second nasty stomach bug for 2014. I'm trying not to be whiny, but the situation has been gruesome here for three weeks now. Escaping to this thread to see all your links and books and lists and enthusiasm has been nice.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   It's terrible when it just keeps getting passed back and forth.  Is it possible for you to drench your house in Lysol?  I hope everyone recovers soon, and takes a nice looooonngg break from illness!

So much to catch up on in just one day! Too lazy to multi quote but can I just say, Stacia, that story about your landlady's waterskiing experience :crying: I don't know what's worse, the visual or the idea of how much pain she must have been in. OMG! I, for one, have never gotten into a pair of water skis let alone up and this despite summers at the lake every year. The image of you and was it JennWinSoCal ? zooming around the lake while squatting...well, let me say, hats off to you ladies!

I think that was Mom-ninja's landlady. I agree -- that story made me go :crying:  & :eek: .

And, I haven't tried water skiing since I was a kid. No interest on my part (& esp. not after the landlady story)!

And check out The Gorgeous Art of Norah Borges, Jorge Luis Borges younger sister.  Makes me want to start drawing something.  

Wow, that art is wonderful! Something about the shapes and the colors is so compelling.

I think that was Mom-ninja's landlady. I agree -- that story made me go :crying:  & :eek: .

And, I haven't tried water skiing since I was a kid. No interest on my part (& esp. not after the landlady story)!

Apparently I'm a little addled today wrt details :lol:

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   It's terrible when it just keeps getting passed back and forth.  Is it possible for you to drench your house in Lysol?  I hope everyone recovers soon, and takes a nice looooonngg break from illness!

Oh, believe me, we've already gone the Lysol route and have moved on to considering arson.

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone.

Today (with lots of bus time) I read Hope Flames (A Hope Novel) by Jaci Burton.  I'd previously read a number of the author's sports themed romances; this is the author's first more mainstream contemporary romance.  It was a pleasant read, and I'll look for more in the series.

"Thirty-two and finally setting up her veterinary practice in the town she once called home, Emma Burnett is on her own and loving it. Independent and driven, she’s not letting any man get in the way of her dreams. Not again.

That’s fine with Luke McCormack. Divorced and hardly lacking in female company when he needs it, he’s devoted to the only faithful companion in his life—his police dog. Still, there’s something about Emma he can’t shake.

When a series of local break-ins leaves Emma vulnerable, she seeks help from the first man to spark her desire in years. And now they’re giving each other something they thought they’d lost forever…hope."

Regards,

Kareni

Finished "Lies You Wanted to Hear" today.  It was good, the story kept me interested... but it ended rather abruptly.  I hate when that happens.  I don't always need perfect closure, but it was like they just forgot to include the last chapter or something.  :glare:

So, *still* working on "Little Women", and I'm going to peruse my patiently-waiting non-fiction selections and choose one as well.

Plus... since I finished my other books earlier than anticipated, as a reward, I ended up downloading "Winter Garden" after all, so I'll probably dig into that tomorrow...  :leaving:    :LOL:

I'm not sure how this thread works but I wanted to chime in. I'm trying to read more this year and so far I have read The Story of the Trapp Family Singers, and Call The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times. Both of which I really enjoyed(well except for about one page in the Call the Midwife book that was too graphic for me, so I skipped a couple paragraphs). The next book I have on hold at the Library is about Beatrix Potter. Do any of you have suggestions for Non fiction, Bios, Auto Biography, and/or Memoirs? That is what I am interested in right now. I'm trying to make a list of books available at my library. :)

For WWII era Ben McIntyre's books about spies are fascinating. I've read Operation Mincemeat and Double Cross (about the D-Day spies).

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand is wonderful. WWII survival story/biography. It has some tough parts but there is a lot of grace in the end.

If you are interested at all in autism or just how the brain works I can recommend the following:

Born On a blue Day by Daniel Tammett

Look Me In the Eye by Paul Robeson

The Journal of Best Practices by David Finch

http://www.amazon.com/The-Immortal-Life-Henrietta-Lacks/dp/1400052181/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390262182&sr=8-1&keywords=the+immortal+life+of+henrietta+lacks

I read A Train in Winter a few years ago.  It is so good.  I don't even know why I picked it up, since I generally have little interest in WWII. Made me think about what I would be wiling to do in such a situation.   Highly recommended.

The Secret Piano was an enjoyable auto biography/memoir about a woman in China during the Cultural Revolution.  

The last really, really good memoir I was working on was Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, which everyone else has probably read already (or seen the movie). I got so upset about Dad's drinking up the food money that I cried for days. The book has been sitting on my shelf with a bookmark halfway through for over a year, waiting for my return.

The library was closed yesterday due to the holiday so today I am finally hoping to get my hands on Flavia. I exhausted the sample on my Kindle last night reading in bed and was like :glare:

Here's the Bookpage list of Most Anticipated Books of 2014

I never read Angela's Ashes (never had the desire to...).

I have the Flavia book here to read myself.

Thanks for the list. I see that Helen Oyeyemi has a book coming out that looks good. I read her book Mr. Fox & totally loved it (& highly recommend it too).

I finished Soulless last night by Gail Carriger (saw it here on the board).  What a fun romp!  (And total brain candy)  The banter and wit of Alexia Tarabotti was so entertaining!  I thought it an interesting premise about the supernatural and their hand in shaping the history of Great Britain.  Though I would have liked the author to have explained that a little sooner!  I was a little confused about what was going on for the first 70 or so pages.  Luckily, Alexia and Lord Maccon were strong enough to pull me along till the author finally got around to explaining the background.   The only other downside was the romantic scenes got more and more intimate and finally explicit.  Though those scenes were fraught with wit and humor, too, it was a bit much  for me nowadays.  I would love to continue with the series, but am unsure if they will continue to be explicit.  I totally loved the characters!  So I give it a 4 star rating because I was waiting for some explanation for why Great Britain was the way it was and because of the explicit scenes.  

1.  The Women of Christamas by Lizz Curtis Higgs

2.   Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25 by Richard Paul Evans

3.  The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

4.  Michael Vey: The Rise of the Elgin by Richard Paul Evans

5.  Soulless by Gail Carriger

I finished Soulless last night by Gail Carriger (saw it here on the board).  What a fun romp!  (And total brain candy)  The banter and wit of Alexia Tarabotti was so entertaining!  I thought it an interesting premise about the supernatural and their hand in shaping the history of Great Britain.  Though I would have liked the author to have explained that a little sooner!  I was a little confused about what was going on for the first 70 or so pages.  Luckily, Alexia and Lord Maccon were strong enough to pull me along till the author finally got around to explaining the background.   The only other downside was the romantic scenes got more and more intimate and finally explicit.  Though those scenes were fraught with wit and humor, too, it was a bit much  for me nowadays.  I would love to continue with the series, but am unsure if they will continue to be explicit.  I totally loved the characters!  So I give it a 4 star rating because I was waiting for some explanation for why Great Britain was the way it was and because of the explicit scenes.  

The next book is similar (they're married and it's the honeymoon period), but I think it tapers off after that. 

I am so totally not a romance person, but I did enjoy this series. I love the characters and the humor. Have you read her youth series set in the same world at a girl's finishing school? It's also good (lots of adventure and no sex). 

I just wanted to let you all know that my pre-ordered copy of Jo Walton's What Makes This Book So Great (Re-reading the Classics of Science Fiction and Fantasy) arrived today :hurray:.

I haven't much to report about other books. I'm having so many headaches/migraines that I can't focus on a book. I'm trying to read way too many books at the same time, going nowhere.

Plus... since I finished my other books earlier than anticipated, as a reward, I ended up downloading "Winter Garden" after all, so I'll probably dig into that tomorrow...  :leaving:    :lol:

I hope you like it!

As a result I downloaded both those samples onto my kindle. Along with two others by Susanna Kearsley, The Winter Sea and Shadowy Horses Not entirely sure about these last two. The covers drew me in and the subject material *could* be interesting if the writing isn't ruined by too much emotion or sloppy romance. I'm relearning what I like and don't like in fiction and romance in lit tends to make glaze over with boredom.

I read her book, The Winter Sea first, and I enjoyed it. Not love, but enjoyed. Then, I read the Shadowy Horses and for some reason, I felt like it was the same book. I mean the story was different, but it still dealt with present and past characters, and a lot of the mannerisms of characters and phrasing were repeated. Then, I read The Firebird, which is a sequel to Shadowy Horses and was bored by it, too. Make sure if you read her books that you like Scottish history, because you will get a LOT of that.

I haven't much to report about other books. I'm having so many headaches/migraines that I can't focus on a book. I'm trying to read way too many books at the same time, going nowhere.

:grouphug: Hope you feel better soon!

I hope you like it!

I read her book, The Winter Sea first, and I enjoyed it. Not love, but enjoyed. Then, I read the Shadowy Horses and for some reason, I felt like it was the same book. I mean the story was different, but it still dealt with present and past characters, and a lot of the mannerisms of characters and phrasing were repeated. Then, I read The Firebird, which is a sequel to Shadowy Horses and was bored by it, too. Make sure if you read her books that you like Scottish history, because you will get a LOT of that.

Good to know. I do have an interest in Scottish history though not an overriding one. And I have what are likely romantic notions about the country itself, its beauty and ruggedness and I swoon at the sound of those soft accents. So my concern with the Kearsley books is not the amount of Scottish history but the amount of romance :lol:

The book was better -- can't even be bothered to watch the latest season which is sitting on the dvr waiting.

I enjoyed season 1and part of 2 of DA and then lost total interest in the characters.'Can't be bothered' sums it up :closedeyes:

Last night I finished Sticks & Stones (Cut & Run) by Madeleine Urban and Abigail Roux.  This is the second book in a series; I mentioned the first book here.

While my library has this book categorized as a mystery, I'd describe this book as being about the characters and their relationship; there is no mystery per se though there is suspense.  Be aware that the men have a physical relationship.  I enjoyed the book and will continue on with the series.  I believe there are seven books in the series to date.

"Six months after nearly losing their lives to a serial killer in New York City, FBI Special Agents Ty Grady and Zane Garrett are suffering through something almost as frightening: the monotony of desk duty. When they're ordered to take a vacation for the good of everyone's sanity, Ty bites the bullet and takes Zane home with him to West Virginia, hoping the peace and quiet of the mountains will give them the chance to explore the explosive attraction they've so far been unable to reconcile with their professional partnership.

Ty and Zane, along with Ty's father and brother, head up into the Appalachian mountains for a nice, relaxing hike deep into the woods... where no one will hear them scream. They find themselves facing danger from all directions: unpredictable weather, the unrelenting mountains, wild animals, fellow hikers with nothing to lose, and the most terrifying challenge of all. Each other."

Regards,

Kareni