Menu

Why do people plan to stop HS in high school?

summerreading

If the local schools were even remotely decent, I would have enrolled the boys. But they have absolutely

nothing to offer my sons. I can't even begin to relay to you how abysmal the local districts truly are.

That said wdh and I are in the unique position to be truly comfortable and qualified to teach the two

subjects that are the toughest on homeschool parents...math and science. Dh double majored in math and

comp sci and double minored in physics and business I double majored in piano performance and music

education but have minors in chemistry, French, and philosophy. So between us, we seem to cover it without

stress. We were both excellent students in English and history. Our main weakness is literature and

compared tonwhat is offered at the better schools in Michigan, they get much more than that and

higher quality.

I'm going to state something that is not popular on this board. Many parents aren't cut out for hs or

are unwilling to make the commitment needed to do it. I say this because most of the homeschoolers in our

area homeschool for hs in the same manner they hs for 5th grade. We get a lot of these kids in our 4H

club and they are not significantly more advanced than ps 5th and 6th graders. Their math skills are

abysmal, their reading comp is not much better and I suspect this may be because many of the parents do

not assign upper level reading due to finding the content offensive, and the teens have no concept of

a deadline or accountability to someone besides mom and dad. It's not a problem many of you are

encountering because this is afterall the WTM board. But it is a problem in some homeschool

communities and it is epidemic here. Contrary to popular local belief any homeschooling effort DOES NOT

automatically trump the public school.That's a pretty sad indictment when one considers how pathetic

our local districts really are. But these parents have drunk the cool aid "any homeschooling effort is

automatically better than what anbrick and mortar can provide".

We do not have a cc less than one hour drive from here that offers a math class higher than college

algebra, a foreign language, literature, or sciences coursework. So using dual enrollment is not an

option. What seems to happen is that the high schoolers get very little instruction or direction. They

read a lot of fluff, take algebra 1 three times using workbooks before barely passing it, end with

consumer math, read about science topics but do not study a specific science, study a little English

formally, write endless.book reports...I have had numerous homeschooling parents tell me they belive

book reports is the only writing they assign...etc. The hope in many of these families is that the sons

will go into trade licensing but what they find is that these young men cannot handle the difficulty

level of the classes and since these students did not attend the tech center for credit where the

instructors are professionals with lots of experience in their trade and have some decent standards,

and the licensing exams are tough and they have no experience or test taking skills. So they end up

taking the GED so they can get a job and even though the Michigan version of that exam is very remedial

in nature, many have a hard time with that too. Therefore, homeschooling for HS is held in low esteem

within the community. Many of the girls say they have the intent to go to nursing school or similar

profession but they don't have the math or science necessary to survive the first semester of classes

at the nursing program nearest our community.

So while I am of the opinion that while it is certainly possible to homeschool for HS sucessefully - our

dd is a medic and is almost finished with BS in chemistry - and my friend's daughter is headed to MSU

next year as a pre -vet major with a lot of academic scholarships - it is a HUGE commitment to

rigor, organization, structure, extra curriculars, expensive curriculum, research, etc. and some

parents just aren't prepared for it or simply have too much on their plates to devote themselves to

making sure they are keeping pace with much less exceed the standards at the local PS and especially

the standards of the kids who are taking the tougher classes.

Flame away. I have my big girl panties on! LOL

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, it is a very rare parent who can *teach* all of high school adequately. I certainly think it can be facilitated in a by selective outsourcing and the homeschooling orientation preserved.

I personally believe teens benefit from discussion, interaction from a wide variety of persons in terms of rich education.

My dd was getting ahead of my ability to help her with higher level science.  I started to put together a plan for high school chemistry but she ended up taking it at our local high school while we were still homeschooling.  Honestly, I think she learned much more taking it at the school than she would have in doing chemistry at home.  She liked the class interaction, all the lab equipment that we couldn't afford, and she was able to get a lot of help from her teacher outside of class.  I'm more of a lit and history person and I don't think I would have been able to answer all her chemistry questions, at least not as well as her teacher did.  She decided to just go full-time to public high school her junior year.  Some of her classes there also give her college credit - at no cost, which is a big deal for us since her dad is disabled and my job is not full-time.   Also, in the upper grades, the kids in the more advanced classes tend to be more dedicated students, at least that seems true at her school.  She has had no problem finding like-minded nerdy friends. 

The other thing is, my dd worked much harder for someone who isn't me.  We were fine during middle school, but as she got older she was becoming more stubborn at times about getting her homeschool work done.  Her being at school lessened the tension between us and I think she's learned things and had experiences that I could not have provided for her.

I can think of several reasons people have given:

Sports -High school varsity is much cheaper than the private competitive leagues. After spending thousands a year for travel sports a cheaper option though public schools fit the budget better. 

Affordable - Well for a private school at least. 

Sometimes kids that age are just ready to have some sort of identity away from home. My oldest never attended school until 9th grade. (She started the second semester. It took her a semester to convince us.) she is absolutely thriving in school. DH and I both went to school and loved it, and we live in a good school district, so we always homeschooled just because we wanted to.

For us, homeschooling worked really well for a long time and we enjoyed the lifestyle of schooling for a few hours a day then doing what we wanted for the rest of the time. As my daughter got older, some of these time benefits dwindled. High school really does take all day to accomplish. It's very time consuming just to maintain the level of the local public schools and more so if you plan to exceed that. Science gets trickier to teach and I was paying for labs at our local community college, so that added more time in the car. Older kids WANT to learn from subject matter experts and don't necessarily think it's great to figure it out with Mom.

In order to keep the level of instruction where we both wanted it, we were doing a lot of co-op and CC classes. We were in the car every day. Dd's high school is 1/4 mile down the road, all under one roof, and she can walk back and forth so it doesn't interfere with her brother's homeschool schedule. She LOVES the theatre department and our homeschool drama club just never had access to such state-of-the-art equipment, or staff expertise. The finished productions are just not comparable in any way. Her AP classes introduce a level of rigor that we simply would not have maintained at home. I just wouldn't have required that much writing or memorization in a day, but my daughter is taking it in stride and thriving. She's only had one teacher who was just a miserable person. I'm glad her first experience with that was while she was living at home so we could guide her through it.

I appreciate that college won't be my daughter's first significant experience away from the house. I like that we have this in-between time before she moves away. She appreciates a much larger peer group from which to choose her friends. In all honesty though, she's a good student who would do well anywhere and she's never seemed remotely driven by peer pressure. That combination made the transition easier for everyone.

I have noticed during the mom-chat at co-op that the parents who are most adamantly outspoken against traditional schooling are the ones who have kids who would really struggle to succeed in public high school. Our local schools ARE rigorous, and some of these teens aren't even managing to turn in their co-op homework. They drop the classes that are too hard and gravitate towards the easier ones that require a more middle-school level of effort. I don't know that they've put in a 6-7 hour day of schooling in their lives. They're just not used to it. Public high school doesn't even offer a level of math below Algebra, so you have to be ready for it before 9th grade and some kids just aren't there yet. I find this distressing. I have a disabled child with significant delays who will likely always be homeschooled, so I do understand that struggle, but to know so many capable kids who are behind just because nobody is making them do the work freaks me out a bit. They simply never stepped up the academic effort when high school began.

I DO know more homeschooling families who ARE keeping their kids at an academic level where they could easily transition into traditional schooling if necessary, but in my circles they're just not the very loud critics of brick and mortar schools.

I started reading this thread and had to stop. You guys are stressing me out.

:willy_nilly: <---while pulling out hair

We're in our second year of high school. I have no regrets. I have fears and "issues", but it's not as scary as I had anticipated. 

I can see why some would choose not to homeschool high school. It's been a good fit for us, though. 

Many of the reasons have already been brought up here before.  For us, we homeschooled our boys all the way through high school, but we outsourced A LOT, partly because they needed experts in their fields, partly because something was not a strength of mine, and partly because I was spread too thin. Also, it helped our relationship because then we were no longer relating only about school (and they felt that I was always on their case, thus not happy with them.)  It wasn't cheap.  Many we know put their kids into high school because their kids wanted to go (they wanted a larger pool of peers or wanted the trappings of high school or needed stronger academics than the parents could provide and they didn't have the $$ to do the outsourcing that we were fortunate enough to afford.)  My daughter may want to go to high school.  I am not sure if it is the right choice for her, but she is much more social than my boys and sees things at the high school that interest her.  Plus, to tell you the truth, I am getting burned out. 

The main reason I see is that if you homeschool ninth grade, then you generally can't put your child in public school for tenth grade. They would have to start over in ninth grade because the school isn't going to give them credits for the work done at home. People are worried about limiting their options. 

That said, two of my kids are currently in high school, and I am still homeschooling them. We do outsource with online classes, tutors, co-ops, etc. 

The main reason I see is that if you homeschool ninth grade, then you generally can't put your child in public school for tenth grade. They would have to start over in ninth grade because the school isn't going to give them credits for the work done at home. People are worried about limiting their options. 

That said, two of my kids are currently in high school, and I am still homeschooling them. We do outsource with online classes, tutors, co-ops, etc. 

Yes, this happened to me.  I was very happily and successfully homeschooling high school and then sought to put my ds into school (first regular p.s. and then a p.s. virtual academy) because my chronic illness went from chronic to acute.  No go because it would have meant him losing two whole year's work as they put him back into the freshman class.  We are continuing with homeschool but it hasn't been easy.  On the other hand, we are doing it and I think he is best served through what we do in homeschool.  

I started reading this thread and had to stop. You guys are stressing me out.

:willy_nilly: <---while pulling out hair

We need threads like this IMHO. 

When we started, everyone I knew was all about "homeschooling is the ONLY way." Frankly it kind of scared me even though I thought at the time that I could probably handle it all myself. I was afraid to even let in the thought that we might stop at 8th. I live in an area where transferring into high school from homeschool at any other time than 9th grade causes all kinds of problems. And that scared me too.

Now though, I can appreciate that what is working very well for us (homeschooling with some outsourcing) doesn't work for everyone. And I fully support my friends that have chosen to send theirs to the classroom.

And finishing through high school looks completely doable.  It is both exciting and sad to have the plan for the remaining years of high school pretty much in place. That chapter of my life will be over in a little over three years. Wow!

For us, putting the girls in our decent public school for high school feels like the best way to finish preparing them for life. Dh and I both went away from home to go to a great university; we assume a similar path for our dds. I do not want that to be their first experience "out of the house" socially, academically, etc. I know there are options to do CC, but I don't think putting my 14 yo around 18-20 year old community college students is exactly what I'm looking for. I want them to have classes from other teachers, I want them to manage a workload determined by others, I want them to make friends and learn how to work with people who are a lot different than they are, I want them to take great AP classes from inspired teachers, I want them to experience the fun of performing in band, playing on the soccer team, going to football games and dances, being a young person around other young people, etc. My 8th grader takes band and science at the local middle school and will be a full-time public school student next year. She loves band and enjoys her science class. They do great labs and activities that she wouldn't get at home. I know PS will not be perfect, but we're all excited about it and I think she'll do great.

This is exactly how my DH feels.   We only know 1 family in our circle of friends who put their kids in high school (intentionally, not counting situations where life events forced the decision) but DH has always held the opinion that he wants our kids to have the opportunity to "fail" and make mistakes while still living under our roof.   I've been on the fence.   I definitely want to continue to HS through middle school, but this is a decision we'll have to make in the next 2 years, since our oldest is in 6th grade.    Fortunately, we do live in a very good school district for PS and have several high quality private/Christian schools nearby, so when the time comes we have a lot of options.

I knew that I shouldn't have continued to read this thread, because discussions of high school and homeschooling, pros and cons, always make me stressed and defensive. I am glad for those of you who live in the land of excellent public schools with huge extracurricular opportunities and inspired AP teachers. That is not my reality. I see tremendous social problems, abysmal test scores, overtaxed and unexcited teachers and kids who just want to get the grade and get out in the schools around me.

I feel like I am shouting into the wind, here, but the parent does not have to "teach" everything in high school. A 9th grader should be able to read, write, and learn competently enough to figure out a lot on his own, and ask for help when needed. How do you learn? Is it so different from how a teenager can learn?

CC and co-ops can be great. They can also be not so great. Philosophy at our cc was competent. But no students lingered to discuss. They were not interested in the ideas past the grade. It was a huge disappointment. Ds1 found conversations with us, parents from the swim team, and other adults in his life were much more interesting.

The high school board, while intimidating, is a great resource. Colleges will admit kids with a "mommy" transcript (I hate that term), they will admit you without grades if you explain things. Check out the acceptances thread if you are worried about getting into college.

Make your decisions based on your child or let them make the decision. It is their life after all.

But blanket statements about how teens need teens, the great high school teachers you have, and how parents just can't teach high school are tiring to read and a little insulting to those of us who have chosen to homeschool for our own reasons.

I really wanted to teach high school. I've been planning for it since he hit 5th grade. I've been reading the high school board, making lists, researching programs, getting acclimatized to the cost of high school science, lol. I bought a book on making transcripts etc.

But my oldest has asked to go to high school next year. I have no issues with the schools here. We have two universities in town, one is an Ivy, so the community has high expectation of their public schools. In fact, I am leaning towards trepidatious because it looks like he is going to be in an AP class as a freshman (!).

But, we have always told him that his education is something done with him, not to him and he gets to participate in decisions about how his education progresses. He feels like it is time to move on. I think he feels hemmed in and he wants to spread his wings a little, test himself against his peers and different teachers, meet some new people.

But, for those of you who are headed to high school, I completely support you. For those of you who are worried, spend a little time learning about transcripts and what constitutes a credit. Reread TWTM high school section. Use your highlighter! Check out the sample of the high school ancient history program from PHP using SWB's book. Read The Well Educated Mind and get some audio lectures from SWB about high school writing. Look for excellent high school science programs (even, gasp, a high school text book and materials). I promise it can be done!

I knew that I shouldn't have continued to read this thread, because discussions of high school and homeschooling, pros and cons, always make me stressed and defensive. I am glad for those of you who live in the land of excellent public schools with huge extracurricular opportunities and inspired AP teachers. That is not my reality. I see tremendous social problems, abysmal test scores, overtaxed and unexcited teachers and kids who just want to get the grade and get out in the schools around me.

I feel like I am shouting into the wind, here, but the parent does not have to "teach" everything in high school. A 9th grader should be able to read, write, and learn competently enough to figure out a lot on his own, and ask for help when needed. How do you learn? Is it so different from how a teenager can learn?

CC and co-ops can be great. They can also be not so great. Philosophy at our cc was competent. But no students lingered to discuss. They were not interested in the ideas past the grade. It was a huge disappointment. Ds1 found conversations with us, parents from the swim team, and other adults in his life were much more interesting.

The high school board, while intimidating, is a great resource. Colleges will admit kids with a "mommy" transcript (I hate that term), they will admit you without grades if you explain things. Check out the acceptances thread if you are worried about getting into college.

Make your decisions based on your child or let them make the decision. It is their life after all.

But blanket statements about how teens need teens, the great high school teachers you have, and how parents just can't teach high school are tiring to read and a little insulting to those of us who have chosen to homeschool for our own reasons.

Why do you say this?  Almost every poster has said they did or are hsing high school. Those who are not gave personal reasons why.  Nobody is judging your reasons for doing what you do. 

I definitely agree that sometimes homeschooling through high school can be the best option.  It certainly isn't the wrong idea in every situation and I think parents CAN teach high school well.

BUT, it's also true that some things are VERY hard to teach at home.  Science and math are the two that come up most.  It's very very difficult to set up a full chemistry lab at home with proper safety equipment.  You can probably do enough for a child who isn't interested in studying science in college, but a kid big into science is going to need more.  

Same with math.  I know some very intelligent, math-minded people but very few of them would be capable of teaching themselves calculus from a book.

Yes, chemistry and calculus can certainly wait for college if that's what is best for the family, but I don't think you can say ANY high school course could be done well at home.

Yes, this happened to me.  I was very happily and successfully homeschooling high school and then sought to put my ds into school (first regular p.s. and then a p.s. virtual academy) because my chronic illness went from chronic to acute.  No go because it would have meant him losing two whole year's work as they put him back into the freshman class.  We are continuing with homeschool but it hasn't been easy.  On the other hand, we are doing it and I think he is best served through what we do in homeschool.  

Never thought of this. My dad had this problem in the 60s after going to school in England - they were going to put him back a year and make him take 5 years for high school. Instead he went to Swiss boarding school and graduated in 3. Things haven't changed, have they...

Emily

BUT, it's also true that some things are VERY hard to teach at home.  Science and math are the two that come up most.  It's very very difficult to set up a full chemistry lab at home with proper safety equipment.  You can probably do enough for a child who isn't interested in studying science in college, but a kid big into science is going to need more.  

Same with math.  I know some very intelligent, math-minded people but very few of them would be capable of teaching themselves calculus from a book.

Yes, chemistry and calculus can certainly wait for college if that's what is best for the family, but I don't think you can say ANY high school course could be done well at home.

And those are subjects that are frequently outsourced by homeschooling high school parents. Outsourcing *often* includes sending the child to community college classes for dual enrollment. They are still considered homeschoolers in most states as long as the majority of their schooling happens at home and instruction comes from their parents.

I agree about the science and math, but I have toured the local schools and my kitchen with kits and a fire extinguisher is better.

I had an terrible science education at a great school.  

LibraryLover, you are right that I shouldn't feel defensive, but my teens no longer have any homeschooled friends. And the reasons given are that the schools provide a better education.

It is hard not to hear that as a judgment on our family's educational choices. Granted, my own problem, but one I have heard with a depressing regularitiy in the last few years.

I agree about the science and math, but I have toured the local schools and my kitchen with kits and a fire extinguisher is better.

I had an terrible science education at a great school.  

LibraryLover, you are right that I shouldn't feel defensive, but my teens no longer have any homeschooled friends. And the reasons given are that the schools provide a better education.

It is hard not to hear that as a judgment on our family's educational choices. Granted, my own problem, but one I have heard with a depressing regularitiy in the last few years.

I do think it becomes very discouraging when it is a *frequent* theme on this board which is supposedly designed to support and encourage homeschoolers.

For the record, my kids did more dissecting and more science experiments in my home than I *ever* did in school.

A 9th grader should be able to read, write, and learn competently enough to figure out a lot on his own, and ask for help when needed. How do you learn? Is it so different from how a teenager can learn?

I'm a big fan of self-education, but I don't think it's the optimal way to learn. It may be an adequate way but I'm not going for merely adequate as a goal for my kids' education. I am HSing them because I want them to get a better education than what the PS we are zoned for offers and we cannot afford 13 years of private school. If we are able to afford private high school (TBD but that is the hope) and that high school offers a superior education to what I can give them at home, then IMHO it would be wrong of me to deny them that opportunity.

I'm a big fan of self-education, but I don't think it's the optimal way to learn. It may be an adequate way but I'm not going for merely adequate as a goal for my kids' education. I am HSing them because I want them to get a better education than what the PS we are zoned for offers and we cannot afford 13 years of private school. If we are able to afford private high school (TBD but that is the hope) and that high school offers a superior education to what I can give them at home, then IMHO it would be wrong of me to deny them that opportunity.

Wow, that is just not how I see things. Yes, public school, private school and home schools all offer *different* opportunities. But, as I said in my last post, it's always disappointing to see how often people insist that homeschooling isn't really a great option.

I had planned to continue through high school.  Life happens.  Each individual child has different needs.

2nd dd unschooled her high school years.  We needed to focus on healing (depression) during those years.  She is now in community college taking remedial classes part time.  It is what she needs at this point in her life.

3rd dd asked to attend public high school.  She knew she needed something to motivate her and felt the deadlines handed out by public school teachers would help move her forward.  

4th dd?  No plans yet.

Yes, public school, private school and home schools all offer *different* opportunities. But, as I said in my last post, it's always disappointing to see how often people insist that homeschooling isn't really a great option.

I have met some people who should not be homeschooling, esp. for high school. I have also met people who should be homeschooling, esp. for high school, but aren't.

I think it varies by person & by family.

I didn't see anyone saying that one shouldn't HS high school.

I'm talking about a general theme on the board. There have been many threads where people have repeatedly said that parents cannot do a good job with many subjects for high school. But, this post is a good example:

I definitely agree that sometimes homeschooling through high school can be the best option.  It certainly isn't the wrong idea in every situation and I think parents CAN teach high school well.

I think this sort of post is generally discouraging. Other people may disagree, that's fine.

I'm talking about a general theme on the board. There have been many threads where people have repeatedly said that parents cannot do a good job with many subjects for high school. But, this post is a good example:

I think this sort of post is generally discouraging. Other people may disagree, that's fine.

I don't disagree, but one post is not a thread.  :)

I do have to ask though.  What science lab/experiment/activity can't one do at home that they can do at a typical high school?  I can't think of anything.  When I was in school we did have labs, but we did extremely basic activities that anyone can pull off.  In fact, I think we have already done more impressive activities at home at the elementary level than I've ever done.

The main thing I think of is when we accidentally made chlorine gas in chemistry.  Not something you want to do without a properly vented hood.   :scared:

I took a lot of science in high school (I wanted to go pre-vet) and there were many things that couldn't have been done at home either because the materials were unavailable to lay-people, the results could be dangerous, or because the equipment was very large and expensive.  Dh actually works in a lab (analytical chemist) and even the basic equipment is very expensive.

The original poster I quoted WAS talking about teaching things at home - not CC and not outsourcing - which is why I responded the way I did.  I think there are many many ways to successfully homeschool high school, but high level science at your kitchen counters may not be one of them.

You can't just have them take a test to see what grade level they are working at?

I don't disagree, but one post is not a thread.  :)

I never said or meant to imply that I find this entire thread discouraging. I simply agreed with the other poster that I have seen a lot of posts like that, and I find them discouraging to find on this board on a regular basis. It happens more in the general education board than the chat board.

This thread has been interesting to me - probably because we did things so differently.  My kids were in ps - doing well - until my oldest reached high school, then I pulled them out (all three at the same time).  They started 9th, 7th, and 5th respectively at home.

Why?  Because I work in our local public high school... and I didn't like the education (or lack thereof) I was seeing.  I went to a great public high school myself and naturally thought all would be that way, but it's certainly not true.  I wanted better than our local education for my kids.  First we went to the middle school principal who promptly informed us that ps was not here for the academically talented kid.  It was here for the average kid.  In our area the average kid goes to community college, works at _____, or joins the military.  None of those paths are bad - they just aren't us.  I figured we couldn't do worse at home, so we jumped in.

My two older kids did great - beating their peers in stats and getting accepted into great colleges, then doing very well there.

Youngest was doing well (scored in the top 99% for reading and 85% for math), but he ended up not liking being at home - so opted to return to the ps for high school.  Educationally it was definitely not the best move, but socially he still likes it.  I'd have preferred him staying home to be honest, but such is life.

Had our ps been as good as the one I went to, I'd have never discovered this board as my guys would have been there the whole time, but it just isn't the case here.

I have absolutely no regrets pulling TO homeschool high school, so anyone reading this thread - don't feel ALL go to school for those years.  Many don't - and they still do well - perhaps better than their ps peers pending their situation.  ;)

I didn't see anyone saying one shouldn't HS high school.

You are absolutely correct. I am sorry.

I am feeling defensive due to other people in my life telling me that I have made inferior educational choices for my kids.

It would be great if once the conversation about homeschooling and high school could be about what homeschooling provides, instead of what it lacks.

The main thing I think of is when we accidentally made chlorine gas in chemistry.  Not something you want to do without a properly vented hood.   :scared:

I took a lot of science in high school (I wanted to go pre-vet) and there were many things that couldn't have been done at home either because the materials were unavailable to lay-people, the results could be dangerous, or because the equipment was very large and expensive.  Dh actually works in a lab (analytical chemist) and even the basic equipment is very expensive.

The original poster I quoted WAS talking about teaching things at home - not CC and not outsourcing - which is why I responded the way I did.  I think there are many many ways to successfully homeschool high school, but high level science at your kitchen counters may not be one of them.

I actually never had a science class in school that used equipment that I don't have in my home right now (and I was in "honors" classes in high school). I don't doubt that there are schools doing a great job with science and using amazing lab equipment, but you must understand that there are plenty of schools that aren't. Therefore, if those schools can be considered a viable option, then so is a kitchen counter.

I agree.  For whatever reason the other lady feels stressed about it and this made her stressed.  I get that.  Not this thread, but there have been others.  I guess it's one of those things where little stuff builds and then something barely related sets you off.  KWIM?

I understand. I hs'd one child through high school (with outsourcing), and now I have one that is 'trying' high school.  I supposed if a hser told me I was wrong to let that happen, I'd be ticked. Maybe. I pretty much don't care anymore.  It also didn't bother me when folks implied I wasn't a homeschooler when we outsourced. 

I actually never had a science class in school that used equipment that I don't actually have in my home right now. I don't doubt that there are schools doing a great job with science and using amazing lab equipment, but you must understand that there are plenty of schools that aren't. Therefore, if those schools can be considered a viable option, then so is a kitchen counter.

You're right.  I'm assuming a high school chem lab would at least have bunsen burners and proper hoods.  Without at least the hood, there are limits on what can be done safely and most of it probably could be done at home.

If you are following a good textbook with good experiments (ie. tried and true) and follow the instructions exactly, you aren't going to accidentally make poisonous gas.  It isn't expensive or difficult to order bunsen burners, test tubes and the like for homeschool chemistry.  We've done all the basic high school experiments using basic safety protocols.  None of these experiments were any different than the experiments I did in public or private schools.  Sure, there are some schools with specialized equipment but it isn't the norm in any of the high schools I taught in - at least not at the basic chemistry class level.  What is most important in high school chemistry is that you understand the basic chemical foundations, in my opinion.  Sometimes you can get this by watching good lecture videos that show the more specialized experiments.  This sort of argument sounds like some of the misconceptions that people have about homeschool. . . 

You are absolutely correct. I am sorry.

I am feeling defensive due to other people in my life telling me that I have made inferior educational choices for my kids.

It would be great if once the conversation about homeschooling and high school could be about what homeschooling provides, instead of what it lacks.

Start a thread here. :) (These conversations do take place on the High School board.) 

I'll participate.

Nobody said one has to teach those things at home.  And frankly if someone says I can't set up a chemistry lab in my home that sounds like a dare and now I want a chemistry lab.  LOL

You should come to my house. My chem lab is sweet! It's my hobby, well. amongst

others. I have an elements collection and the newest edition is berylium. You can

play with my gallium but not my beryllium which is VERY dangerous, LOL.

For what it is worth, I do enjoy teaching at this level, and am very thankful

for the high school and college board here. I find the standards here to be truly

high school level vs. the local homeschool community. The negative picture

I painted in my previous post was not related to those who post on these boards

but my personal experience with IRL homeschoolers.

Faith

I don't see this thread as being a negative about homeschooling high school so much as it's that some of us are admitting that we recognize our own limitations.  And of course individual kids' abilities (and ambitions) have to be considered versus the parents' abilities.  And finances come into play.  Some families have pretty deep pockets for affording online classes, tutors, etc., and some families don't.  When I thought I'd be homeschooling youngest through high school, I drafted up a ninth grade plan for what I thought would constitute a rigorous year.  The cost was going to be over $2,000.  Online classes and decent science equipment add up quickly.  Spending that much or even more per year was doable for us and so it didn't have to be a factor in DS's decision, but I know for many people spending that much wouldn't be an option at all.

There's a lot to consider, and I really don't think anyone is in any way saying that homeschooling high school is a bad thing in general.

I don't plan to send mine to school for high school. 

Nor did I. She begged for it. lol Her sister who hs'd high school thinks she is crazy.

(One of the proudest moments of my life was when I got a call from a university admissions counselor who complimented me on my dd's  homeschooling transcript. lol

I do have to ask though.  What science lab/experiment/activity can't one do at home that they can do at a typical high school? 

The chemistry labs I did from 7th grade do require a fume cupboard (Disclaimer: I was not educated here and the lap equipment for public middle schools can rival the pricy private high schools here. Laboratory exams are part of our scores for Chemistry, Physics and Biology and we have black out curtains in the labs so that no one can look in).  Since I stay in a condominium, it would  be hard to remodel my kitchen to incorporate a fume cupboard.  Also I have set off the smoke alarm too many times by cooking, I'll be happy to pay for my kids to do their chemistry labs elsewhere.

The chemistry labs I did from 7th grade do require a fume cupboard (Disclaimer: I was not educated here and the lap equipment for public middle schools can rival the pricy private high schools here. Laboratory exams are part of our scores for Chemistry, Physics and Biology and we have black out curtains in the labs so that no one can look in).  Since I stay in a condominium, it would  be hard to remodel my kitchen to incorporate a fume cupboard.  Also I have set off the smoke alarm too many times by cooking, I'll be happy to pay for my kids to do their chemistry labs elsewhere.

It's a fact that all chemistry classes are not created equal.  Certainly some private schools are going to have state-of-the-art equipment and opportunities that others won't get.  As for public schools, "equality" aside, public schools in nicer districts (with more tax funds) get nicer equipment.  But there are some basic standards for what at a minimum should be taught at the high school level.  You're going to find that homeschools are not created equal either.  There too, I think there should be basic standards met for what constitutes a high school level chem (or other science) class.  But I don't think that if you meet the basics and that meets the needs of your child that you should feel guilty for not providing the cadillac of homeschool science educations.  

I don't see this thread as being a negative about homeschooling high school so much as it's that some of us are admitting that we recognize our own limitations.  And of course individual kids' abilities (and ambitions) have to be considered versus the parents' abilities.  And finances come into play.  Some families have pretty deep pockets for affording online classes, tutors, etc., and some families don't.  When I thought I'd be homeschooling youngest through high school, I drafted up a ninth grade plan for what I thought would constitute a rigorous year.  The cost was going to be over $2,000.  Online classes and decent science equipment add up quickly.  Spending that much or even more per year was doable for us and so it didn't have to be a factor in DS's decision, but I know for many people spending that much wouldn't be an option at all.

There's a lot to consider, and I really don't think anyone is in any way saying that homeschooling high school is a bad thing in general.

I am in the throes of educating a high school student on basically a minimum wage budget. It can be done. I've always had more time than money, so I research, plan, and look for deals. Our biggest one time expense for next year will be the chemistry kit I plan to buy from here

In no way do I feel he is receiving a sub-par or settled for education. 

I don't feel like everyone should homeschool high school, yet I do feel like if you desire to continue homeschooling, there are ways around the challenges. The high school board has been my guidance since before ds started high school. I have a few posters I can PM and ask more specific questions. I am not doing this alone. 

Also, in the last few years with the increase in open course classes, free online options, and MOOCs there is almost too much out there for those with small budgets. It does take some discernment to figure out the best resource for your child, but boundless options exist. 

Snicker, snickers...I've had to pull the batteries out of the smoke alarms when

I'm testing new rocket fuel formulas...well...amongst other practices! I forgot

to do it when I had the 4H club over to make some flaming magnesium goo. Much fun but we endured some ringing ears! LOL