Menu

Week One: Jan 1-7 Low Spend Challenge Thread

Halcyon

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

posted this in the wrong thread earlier. 

Expenses today. Personally, I'm counting everything because I have to watch all my pennies, not just the discretionary ones. 

1/1 $0

1/2 $0

1/3: total $244.91

Gas                        6.00

toiletries & wine   15.96 (15.17 was paid with a gift card - so .79 cash)

groceries               6.00 - I have to go to my regular store later today, that was a special treat for ds

groceries pt 2 -    57.50

My school books for next semester

- 159.45 (technically will come out of my financial aid at the end of the month.) - I have to go back next week for one more book - it wasn't in yet, GRRR. 

1/1 - $0 for me.

1/2  - a friend took me out for lunch so I got to indulge but yet not spend.  I've took her out last time so I don't even feel guilty.

$73 for medication  (does medication count?  Medical expenses is one of my highest budget items.)

$12.40 for a library fine.  Sigh.  This one made me mad - at me.  

$1350 for one year of taekwando.  I'm ok with this though because it gives us 12 months of taekwando for the 10 month price as an incentive to pay ahead.  Since ds is committed to getting his black belt this year, it is worth it.

I hadn't expected that dh's work would cash out his vacation pay and put it in our bank account when  he changed positions, so we have the money do do this.  

1/3  Groceries - $72.14

I have no idea how much dh spent.  He probably spent something for lunches at work.  

I was on the wrong thread too.  I'm posting now so I can find this again . . . but it's gonna get much, much worse.  Dh went shopping today  :scared:

1/1 - $18 Kid's allowance (for the month. Am I cheap or what?  ;)  :D

1/2 - $92.25 Dh took the kids to SF for the day (so I could work).  That's actually not too bad for a day in the city . . . 

1/3 - $124.82 Groceries

$36 haircut for DH

$90 shoes, gymbag for DH

$157 prescription sunglasses for DH

1/4 A small price to pay for girl's night out (an overnight with some friends)

$15.21 - bottle of wine to share w/ the girls

$26.09 Pizza for dh and the kids

$9.02 Beer for dh

1/5 - recovering.  I'm spending nothing.  Off to take a nap!  :lol:

1/6 - $15 - Dh's lunch

$16.61 groceries - stuff for dinner tonight and lunches.

1/7 - $22.90 - Toilet paper

$78.88 Groceries.  Yep, that's the third time I've shopped this week  :cursing:

Total this week:  $702.  I do not call that low spending.  :toetap05:  :ohmy:

I've only transferred money from checking to savings.  I have no plans to buy anything today.

Breakfast for little one and me $4.89

Grocery trip $110  included grocery and household goods

Dh said he needs to go to Home Depot so I may be adding to this later on...

January 3

Dh went to the grocery to get a few things that no one mentioned yesterday when I went ;) $16

Gas in his truck $88

1/1 $0

1/2 $60.42 - gas

$35.60 - fridge coasters

1/3 $12.51 - misc. grocery items

$32.93 - pet food

$32.00 - January milk bill (we pay monthly, pick up weekly)

$13.64 - shampoo/conditioner

$1.17 - advil

-$49.14 - RETURN from December purchase

-$13.09 - RETURN from December purchase

I have a couple of major expenses in January, the kids music tuition & TKD tuition.  I consider these bills, even though they aren't monthly, I won't be counting them. BUT, I did pay the music bill today so I'm feeling a bit poor at the moment ;(.

This is confusing with 2 threads.  1/1 $0, 1/2 $0, 1/3 #4.48

I went and got a few groceries before we get a big snow storm. 

WM, spent $6.92 on

2 pkgs sausage (1.98 each),

Ok,stopped by WM, spent 6.92 on 2 pkgs sausage (1.98 each),

Bic wite out, .97 they only had 1 pkg. free plus .03mm, after $1 coupon on coupons.com

Special K cereal $2.92, $5wm e-card back http://hip2save.com/...art-egift-card/

Aldi-large eggs $1.29
whole wheat bread $1.29
navel oranges $1.99
romaine hearts $1.99
10 lbs potatoes $2.49
Thick bacon $6.29
Pork Sausage links $2.19
Total $17.53

and then CVS-

2 deans milk

oxy clean stain 3 lb. container

Dawn hand care .99 sale (.50 coupon) bought 5

3 pkgs gum

used $4/$20 coupon & $5 Beauty Bucks

.50 ECB

Total OOP $10.03 plus $2 ECB

back on the milk

Total OOP $34.48 plus $7 total to use later.

Here is my spending Jan 1-7

Jan 1st- Target for furniture that I had been planning on and is in my extra budget money for Christmas just for me. $166.29

Jan 2nd- $0

Jan 3rd- Lunch at work (rarely do this) $6.37; ALEKS subscription $19.95

Jan 4th- $35 gas

Jan 5th $143.06 groceries

Jan 6th- $0

Jan 7th- $0

Ok so today I am trying to book a chiro appointment but we have an HSA card so there's no real outlay there. I am going grocery shopping and budget is 50, because if I spend 50 I get a 50 dollar gas card for 40. So that will be 90. That's all I am buying today, I pray.

January 1: $4.98 for a used paperback for 2nd January birthday that would have been $10.00 on the Kindle

January 2: ~$60 worth of groceries including birthday cake supplies and bottle of wine for 1st January birthday

$45 to pay off dental bill

$20 to pay off Kindle bill

$29 into the gas tank

January 3: $0.00

I am not counting mortgage and utilities because those are the same every month basically and I have little control over that. so here is the round up so far

1/1: $21.50 (groceries)  $15.87 (pizza, this was dh's last day of vacation and he wanted pizza so he got it.  no more eating out the rest of the month though.)

1/2: $154.79 (groceries.  first attempt at once a month shopping so I'm hoping that is it for groceries for the month!)

1/3: $0

1/4: $0 (we're semi-snowed in so I know no one will be spending money today!)

I had a GREAT day shopping at GW 50% off day today.  I found the Kitchenaid ice cream maker bowl for .49 it did not have the attachments, but I found them on e-bay for $11.70 total shipped.  The whole thing new on Amazon is $79.95 http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KICA0WH-Cream-Maker-Attachment/dp/B0002IES80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388868573&sr=8-1&keywords=kitchenaid+dasher
We love making homemade ice cream, so hopefully this will be awesome to have.

1 pair of brand new Isotoner slippers for me $1
panty hose .49 new
shirt for ds .99

2nd GW,
.49 Pampered Chef shaker, new http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/product.jsp?productId=36&categoryCode=BK
purse for me $2
glass canning jar .49, size older different size?
Advent Candles .99 brand new
Yogurt strainer (hoping I can use for Ghee as well .49

3rd GW,
Trash can for my boys $2
shirt for ds $2
small box of powdered drywall mud .25 for dh, he's a contractor
Oxo salad spinner, small, does not have the bowl, but I'm going to contact OXO and see if I can get it.  $1.50 It's this one: http://www.target.com/p/mini-salad-spinner/-/A-516266

Total spent $14.34 plus $11.70.

Doing okay.  Made a run to Wal-Mart today to get bottled water, Heet, toilet paper and a few cleaning supplies.  I bought the ginormous triple-roll pack of TP, so I won't need that again until the end of February.  After that I remembered that I was supposed to pick up some cough medicine for DH, so I had to stop at CVS for some Mucinex.  I am NOT spending another night sleeping next to that!

1/1: $8.10 for a power cord

1/2: $72.48 groceries

1/3: $0

1/4: $76.00 on cold weather supplies and cough meds

Oh, I did such a stupid thing today! I had a huge bunch of groceries to get, so I decided to go to SuperWalmart so I don't spend a million dollars. It's kinda far - almost 30 miles, so I don't go super-often.  I drove all the way up, got ready to get out of the car and realized I had forgotten my purse! I even scrounged around, hoping there was some emergency money, a check, anything so I could get groceries. Nothing but two dollars, a handful of change and a spare tampon. (For an emergency of another nature.) Had to drive the whole way back home and then back again. Plus, I had to fill the car with gas from all this excessive driving.  :glare:

So far I have only spent $2.27 in cash.  Spent $30.00 on gas.  Oh, there are so many tempting things out there to spend money on aren't there?  I know that this upcoming week I will have to get milk and nestle quick for the kids.  I am trying to use up the food items we have in the house to cut down on costs. 

Oh, I did such a stupid thing today! I had a huge bunch of groceries to get, so I decided to go to SuperWalmart so I don't spend a million dollars. It's kinda far - almost 30 miles, so I don't go super-often.  I drove all the way up, got ready to get out of the car and realized I had forgotten my purse! I even scrounged around, hoping there was some emergency money, a check, anything so I could get groceries. Nothing but two dollars, a handful of change and a spare tampon. (For an emergency of another nature.) Had to drive the whole way back home and then back again. Plus, I had to fill the car with gas from all this excessive driving.  :glare:

Ugh, I hate when that happens!  I'm sorry.

I had a GREAT day shopping at GW 50% off day today. 

Oh, I LOVE shopping at thrift stores.  I have found some lovely things like you just did, at a super-bargain price!

But I need to stay out of them.  Honestly, I can go in and spend $10 which seems like nothing...but then the next day I hit a different store and spend $10...etc, etc, etc.!

1/1 - groceries $21
1/2 - returns at the mall -$158 refund!
1/3 - groceries $95
        Discounted movie tix $17

1/4 - dh haircut $21

dh staple-gun staples $4

I didn't spend anything today.  I went for a long run down at the beach and afterward, I really really wanted to stop at my favorite place for a milkshake & chili-cheese fries.  But I didn't want to spend the $9 or so it would have cost, and I also didn't want to come here and admit I spent $9 on chili-cheese fries & a milkshake for breakfast!

I am sorry, Danielle-that sucks! I have done that sort of thing too. 

I'm in! I'm kinda a cheater, though, because that's just how I have to live life. :) Our income is less than our expenses. lol We can only spend $ on food, gas, and whatever bills we manage to pay. However, I have a dd with a birthday this month. Not sure what I'm going to do about that one.

1/1- $0

1/2- $0

1/3- $0

1/4- $0 unplanned $20 in fuel (planned)

January 1: $0

January 2: $60 at Target for a memory card and pullups - it was all from Christmas money/gcs though so it's not really part of the budget

$56 at grocery store for some produce and fish from Grocery Budget

January 3: $24 gift for dd best friend's birthday

$71 for gas

January 4: $50 for haircuts for dd and I

$200 groceries at Costco but only $120 counts as we used money I had from selling a few things :)

What do we count? Groceries aren't low for us. Neither is rent or electric.

What are the rules? :)

I am curious to know too.  I want in w/ this since I need to watch my spending.  Groceries cost us a fortune, as does our mortgage and fuel costs w/ dh commuting.  What sorts of things count?

I think you determine what you want it to be.  For myself, things like rent, utilities, prescriptions and gas for the car are absolute necessities, and the money needs to be spent on those things. 

It's all the discretional spending that I want to reign in.  Groceries count in that because I have a decent food supply here at home and probably don't NEED to buy much for many weeks.  Everything else I need to first see if we can do without, re-purpose something else, or find an alternative.  After a few weeks of kind of letting the shopping demon out to buy Christmas gifts for all my loved ones, I now need to re-train myself to think first, then spend.

1/4 $0000.00

1/5 $32.00 for a Nook Simple Touch that somebody got for Christmas and didn't need; I'm not sure whether it's for January birthday #2 or January birthday #3

I was on the wrong thread too.  I'm posting now so I can find this again . . . but it's gonna get much, much worse.  Dh went shopping today  :scared:

1/1 - $18 Kid's allowance (for the month. Am I cheap or what?  ;)  :D

1/2 - $92.25 Dh took the kids to SF for the day (so I could work).  That's actually not too bad for a day in the city . . . 

1/3 - $124.82 Groceries

$36 haircut for DH

$90 shoes, gymbag for DH

$157 prescription sunglasses for DH

1/4 A small price to pay for girl's night out (an overnight with some friends)

$15.21 - bottle of wine to share w/ the girls

$26.09 Pizza for dh and the kids

$9.02 Beer for dh

1/5 - recovering.  I'm spending nothing.  Off to take a nap!  :lol:

today's update

I am curious to know too.  I want in w/ this since I need to watch my spending.  Groceries cost us a fortune, as does our mortgage and fuel costs w/ dh commuting.  What sorts of things count?

Yeah, we're not too ruley-ruley about this.  :001_smile:  You determine what you want to track/admit to/mention. Last January, I had a fixed amount I wanted to stay under for groceries for the month. I also like to list when something great works out that saves me money.

God knows, I'm not going to count my oil bill once all this frigid weather heads out.  :eek: It's going to look like the national debt. 

I went in and copied everything from past posts so I can edit instead of multi-quoting everyday.

January 1

​I've only transferred money from checking to savings.  I have no plans to buy anything today.

January 2
Breakfast for little one and me $4.89
Grocery trip $110  included grocery and household goods

January 3

Dh went to the grocery to get a few things that no one mentioned yesterday when I went  ;) $16
Gas in his truck $88

January 4
dh and boys haircuts $40
pizza for lunch (pizza hut 50% off coupons) $14
Dh and I ended up going out last night dinner $17

Then we went to walmart...sigh... it was things that were needed so I can't complain $77

January 5
zero spent
So far I resisted purchasing more legos, going out to dinner tonight and placing an amazon order.  

January 6
zero spent

January 7