Menu

Who's going to tackle New Year's With Me?

Jean in Newcastle

Yep, tree is on my list too. I thought I'd do it today but decided it looked too pretty and have left it to be done tomorrow. We have a couple of gatherings to go to, informal but they'll take up some of our day nonetheless. Other than that I'll do some laundry, change sheets and vacuum and put away any holiday decorations that need storing.

How are you feeling???

We will do that tomorrow. The tree untrimming.

Very quiet here.....I had dental surgery late yesterday, and I have been in bed with an ice pack on my mouth and a steady stream of minions coming in with mashed potatoes, ice cream, chocolate pudding, and iced tea.

I am extremely thankful.......I had an extraction and bone graft and the implant will wait till April. I planned it for this week so I would be able to take it easy.

Wishing everyone a blessed and happy new year!

I don't feel like chores.

This is our first full day not being an overnight guest or having one since the 19th. Dh and I are enjoying it by being anti social with one another. We do occasionally check up to make sure we are both happy with that since its also the anniversary off heady we meet - which is the only anniversy that we are both able to remember. 16 years.

So other then sitting with the boys and reading, or watching, "call the midwife" I have done little.

Thought my water broke last night.... Nope horrible night sweats... This pregnancy is so vastly different than my first (good thing I didn't wake dh or call out the troops :)

- dishes- I got some done (pressure is getting bad)

- detrim the tree- nope not gonna happen

- nap- done

- tidy up- did some

- go get a few groceries- done

- dinner- venison stew is cooking

- bedtime routine

Jean, you have awesome kids.   Hope you're able to rest and feel better.

Mariann, hope you heal quickly.  Rest bunches. 

I'll be tackling the Christmas tree and all the decorations.  

Give the first floor a good dust and vacuuming.  

Rearrange the furniture.

Enjoy the day :)

Today is a relaxing day :) We won't de-Christmas the house until the 12th, I think. We usually do it on the Saturday after Epiphany which this year is an all-day FLL competition. I'll just want to eat dinner and crash after being surrounded by kids and noise all day :lol:

--some laundry

--exercise: Just Dance with dh for an hour ;)

--reading for fun

Dinner needs to go into the crockpot soon. The girls are still sleeping (almost 10am). Ds was designated driver last night for his friends---they drove down to Baltimore where a friend was DJing at a party that went until 6am :eek: He texted us at 7:30 to say he was well-rested and would start driving back after they hit some place for a good breakfast.

Happy New Year, everyone! May your 2014 be full of laughter, good health, and love :)

Building a set of shelves for my son, eating family meal with extended family at lunch, maybe taking down the tree, trying to clean out and organize the education/dining room...and attempting to clean off more business papers from my eternally overflowing desk.

Hoping all of you, and especially those with health issues (or impending baby issues) have a healthy, pleasant, happy day....:)

Jean and Mariann, I hope you feel better and your kids are awesome.

I want to take down the tree, but I was vetoed. So I will clean out my closet I think and try that 333 project.  My dh is at Mass this morning (kids and I went last night) and everyone is still asleep, so I am enjoying the quiet.

All I have on my list today is picking up dd1 from her friend's house and afternoon practice.

I will crochet and get materials sorted for my projects this winter. 

And maybe drop off presents for our godchildren.  Still smarting from mean girl tactics, so I have been reluctant to do that. 

Work on my list of habits for the year, but I have a new motto.

From "The Inner Light" (STNG) "Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again."

Jean, you'd better not tackle anything today other than the sofa!  

I can't believe how many of you are taking down the tree today!  No!  GIve it the whole day!

Today, I have no real plans.  I did already sweep the LR and kitchen because Bella got under the tree last night and played with a bottom branch, so there were needles strewn around.

We're not doing much else.  My mom is cooking some southern food for the guys today (pork chops, collard greens, mashed potatoes), and I don't know what I'll eat.  Maybe mashed potatoes.  I'll probably try to smell-proof my room to keep that disgusting collard green smell out.  Just thinking about my house smelling like them makes me want to gag.

Beyond that?  I got nothing.

Jean and Mariann, I hope you are both feeling better today, and don't tackle anything!  Rest & heal!

I had 8 college students over here last night (including 4 of mine), 7 of whom ate me out of house and home ( a gallon of bean soup, 2 quarts of chili, 2.5 lbs. meatballs, a rotisserie chicken, 36 cans of pop).  At 1 a.m., I decided eating time was over.  That is when I discovered that I had forgotten to run the crammed-full dishwasher.  That is also when the dog decided to grab the container with the meatballs in it and take to the dining room rug.  He spilled a cup of sauce (grape jelly/chili sauce mixture).  I cleaned it up, even though I was so tired I couldn't think straight, which was how he got the meatballs to begin with.  He only ate 1/2 of them and I threw the rest away.

I am always amazed by how much males can eat -- our guests had already had dinner when they arrived.  I was up until 3 a.m. supervising the kids. 

So:

Take care of dog

Call Mom

Clean kitchen - in progress

Take out recycling

Make vegetarian lasagne

Get ready to go to friend's party & gather up stuff to take over there

Go to party until 4 pm

Maybe go to grocery store and pick up more oven-ready lasagne noodles and Italian sausage

Maybe make a few lasagnas to eat and to freeze

Maybe serve/eat/clean up after dinner

Maybe comb the dog; definitely feed & play with  him

Maybe get figures on paper so DH and I can discuss budget and financial goals for 2014

Maybe discuss budget with DH

Maybe throw caution to the winds and read instead of doing anything productive.

Jean and Mariann, I hope you can rest som and feel better soon!

I had planned to take down the tree, but we spent the morning doing math and an AHG project and DH is taking me to the movies this afternoon and we're having dinner at my mom's - so no undecorating here today. I'll do a little tomorrow and Friday and wrap itup Saturday. We'll ge to Epiphany without Christmas decs still up, maybe?!  :)

Wow, RC, sounds like yours was the place to be! Lol!

Jean, are you resting?

We got the tree down. Somehow two parts got stuck together, so it was quite a wrestling match, but we got it apart without both of us flying off in opposite directions. I didn't decorate too much this year, so putting stuff away hasn't been too much of a problem.

On my to do list today is take down the christmas tree and put away all the christmas decorations. 

I'm thinking we will  do measurements for bookshelves in the bedroom and office,

replace the toilet seat lid in my son's bathroom

one load of laundry

Defrost lamb for dinner

Probably enough for one day - also plan way more than accomplish. 

Hope you are feeling better, Jean, and getting some rest.

Happy New Year!

You ladies, nag, do you know that?  Don't worry, my body nags too.  I've been up for two hours.  In that time I managed to sit and dink around on the computer, eat a simple breakfast, to make my bed and to finally get dressed.  I'm beat.  I'm finishing up taking my meds and then I'm headed back to bed.

The kids have done morning chores, taken care of pets and have put away Christmas (an easy job since we didn't have much to put away).  

Tree has been de-trimmed. Now all that remains is for dc to dismantle it. This is our very first year with an artificial tree so the ease with which it is  dismantled and stored will be the deciding factor in whether we keep the tradition or go back to a real tree. I have *loved* the lack of needles and watering.

Sheets have been changed out. Dishes are all washed. Decorations are put away. Off to a New Year's brunch for an hour or so and then back to sweep, vacuum and launder.

I'll be tackling the Christmas tree and all the decorations.  

Give the first floor a good dust and vacuuming.  

Rearrange the furniture.

It's all done...our house looks really plain.   We went through all the decorations for all season and cleaned out what we didn't love and only kept the things we did.  Made a list of what we will need next year and I'll shop for those items now while they are on a discount.   The only thing left is dinner and watching movies. 

YNAB..monthly budget

Review last year's bills w/dh

Christmas tree

vacuum whole house (still a lot of dust left from the high winds last week)

Front porch/entry way

watch some football/nap

bbq tri tip, mashed potatoes for dinner (last day of being bad :laugh:)

figure out my reading plan for 52 books

I had my 'homeopathic dose' of black eyed peas and greens at brunch. They were actually delicious and my first taste of them. I've washed some walls--dc seems to think they double as foot-rests. Still to do sweeping, spot vacuuming and encouraging dc to finish dismantling the tree. It appears it's being done in stages :cool:

Dh and dd are out shopping.  I talked to dh on the cell phone and heard screaming in the background.  I asked him in alarm "Who is screaming?"  His answer said it all:  "We're at Walmart."  

Ds is writing a thank you letter.

I am doing a credible imitation of a log.  I did make a simple lunch for myself.  And I ate some of the baked bananas that dh made for us. 

Ds and I are also going to watch an episode of the old Mission Impossible tv show on Netflix.  

This morning the little one and I went to visit my mom and dad for a couple of hours(they live 5 minutes from us).  I took mom's dishes back from Christmas.

Dh and I cooked lunch together.

I need to vacuum since the kids tracked sand in a little while ago.

I may do a load of laundry this afternoon, too.

Cook supper. 

Enjoy my family.

Botheration.  I have been suitably lazy all day.  The antibiotics seem to be working.  I seemed to have the swelling issue resolved.  So I didn't take the Mobic (prescription anti-inflammatory) last night.  About an hour ago, dh asked me "Is your tongue ok?  You're talking funny again."  Sure enough, my tongue is swelling up.  I tried supplements first to bring down inflammation but it didn't work.  I just took the Mobic again.  I'm starting to feel woozy again so the family is making dinner and I'm going to sit down in my armchair.  Now don't follow RC's lead and get all freaked out on me.  Dh is an RN and I am breathing just fine.  I'm just ticked because I need to get better so that I can get back to tackling life.  

I kicked dh's behind at Just Dance :D We're borrowing it from my sister's family (we all played on Christmas at their house--it was a hoot!). I think we need to buy ourselves a copy!

I have finished a book and entered it on Goodreads :party:

I tried two new recipes (roasted green beans and Parmesan-crusted potato wedges) for dinner to go with the BBQ pork in the cp. Thumbs up from everyone, yay, so I moved those recipes into the front "tried-and-true" section of my recipe clippings binder. The girls randomly selected some recipes for me to try next week :)

Mom in High Heels, just be glad your Mom isn't fixing black-eyed peas, too.  Greens + those horrible peas really stink up a place.

She was all upset that she had forgotten the black-eyed peas.  Blech!  I think I would have run away if she'd cooked those too.  The collards were bad enough, but to add in the black-eyed pea smell would have just sent me over the edge.

Mom in High Heels, just be glad your Mom isn't fixing black-eyed peas, too.  Greens + those horrible peas really stink up a place.

I had these today for the first time and I have to say they were delicious, both the greens and the peas. I was apprehensive based on all the posts here describing folks' aversion to them based on unpleasant childhood memories of them :lol:. They were really good though!

I had these today for the first time and I have to say they were delicious, both the greens and the peas. I was apprehensive based on all the posts here describing folks' aversion to them based on unpleasant childhood memories of them :lol:. They were really good though!

I'm afraid we can't be friends. :001_tt2:  Both of those are foul!  Foul, I say!  The smell of the greens cooking just made my stomach turn.  My feelings are not based on unpleasant childhood memories, I promise.  Yes, they were cooked almost every year, but I have actually eaten them (even tried them more than once to make sure I didn't like them), and ick!  Just ICK!   :ack2:

I'm afraid we can't be friends. :001_tt2:  Both of those are foul!  Foul, I say!  The smell of the greens cooking just made my stomach turn.  My feelings are not based on unpleasant childhood memories, I promise.  Yes, they were cooked almost every year, but I have actually eaten them (even tried them more than once to make sure I didn't like them), and ick!  Just ICK!   :ack2:

:lol: