Menu

I am so confused about this health care plan stuff...

Mynyel

I live in NC and the state didn't expand Medicaid so apparently we are ineligible for subsidies. Is that right does anyone know?

With that the kids would be covered under Medicaid, I think. So that leaves the hubs and I. According to healthcare.gov the least expensive plan is $476 a month. How in the sam hill is that "affordable"? Our tax return for 2013 will be $25000(ish). That is just over 22% of our income. I think we will just take the penalty, it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

That being said I have heard it touted that if it will cost you more that 8% of your income you don't have to have the insurance? Anyone else heard that? This is all so confusing to me. I liked it better when I could just go to the doctor if and when I needed to and pay for it. Besides pregnancy I have been to the doctor twice in 10 years. I digress.

Can anyone help me make head or tails out of this?

You can still go to the doctor and pay cash. If you (general you, not specific you) get seriously ill or injured and you are uninsured, hospitals can't turn you away but you won't be able to afford the treatment. People with insurance and the government wind up paying the costs for the uninsured.

In North Carolina, you will be eligible for a subsidy if your income is between $11,490 and $45,960. Below $11,490, you would be eligible for Medicaid.

http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

Your children may qualify for NC's version of Medicaid for children:

http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dma/medicaid/families.htm

If insurance would cost more than 8% of your household income, you are exempt from the penalty:

https://www.healthcare.gov/exemptions/

It is very confusing. I think the rollout of this law has sucked! The Supreme Court decision allowing states to opt out of Medicaid expansion hasn't helped, but it still has not been explained well at all.

I think you are still eligible for subsidies if your state is not expanding medicaid

Individuals/families who have incomes that place them between 100% and 400% of the federal poverty level are eligible for subsidies.  Individuals/families with incomes that place them below the federal poverty level are not eligible for subsidies.  If they live in one of the twenty five states which expanded/will expand Medicaid in 2014 then they will be eligible for Medicaid.  If they do not live in a state which expanded Medicaid their children may be eligible for Medicaid or CHIPs but adults who choose to go through the health care exchange will have to pay the full premium cost for insurance.  One interesting exception to this occurs in WI where they proceeded with a limited Medicaid expansion (up to 100% FPL not the 138% required to be eligible for federal money towards medicaid expansion) in an effort to prevent the coverage gap that exists under the current ACA.

I live in NC and the state didn't expand Medicaid so apparently we are ineligible for subsidies. Is that right does anyone know?

With that the kids would be covered under Medicaid, I think. So that leaves the hubs and I. According to healthcare.gov the least expensive plan is $476 a month. How in the sam hill is that "affordable"? Our tax return for 2013 will be $25000(ish). That is just over 22% of our income. I think we will just take the penalty, it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

That being said I have heard it touted that if it will cost you more that 8% of your income you don't have to have the insurance? Anyone else heard that? This is all so confusing to me. I liked it better when I could just go to the doctor if and when I needed to and pay for it. Besides pregnancy I have been to the doctor twice in 10 years. I digress.

You will be exempt from the penalty.

In North Carolina, you will be eligible for a subsidy if your income is between $11,490 and $45,960. Below $11,490, you would be eligible for Medicaid.

http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

I don't think those numbers are correct for a family of six.  I entered $30,000 and family of six into the calculator you linked, and it said the income was too low for a subsidy.

I don't think those numbers are correct for a family of six.  I entered $30,000 and family of six into the calculator you linked, and it said the income was too low for a subsidy.

I think Zoobie may be using the FPL for a single individual which was $11,490 in 2013.  I believe that Rachel has a family of five so they are looking at $27,570 to reach the FPL.  If you use Zoobie's calculator with 28,000 as their projected income then they are eligible for a $12,000 plus subsidy for their family and are projected to pay <$600 annually for their share of their premium. 

I think Zoobie may be using the FPL for a single individual which was $11,490 in 2013.  I believe that Rachel has a family of five so they are looking at $27,570 to reach the FPL.  If you use Zoobie's calculator with 28,000 as their projected income then they are eligible for a $12,000 plus subsidy for their family and are projected to pay <$600 annually for their share of their premium. 

Oh, I thought she had a family of six because I thought the first person on the list was a 18 yo kid, but apparently it's her husband of 18 years. :001_smile:

I wondered if the $11,490 was the threshold for a single person.  That figure sounded familiar.

It's just unreal that with an income of $25,000 they are ineligible for a subsidy but with just a little more income, they'd be eligible for $12,000 in subsidies. 

I can't even seem to apply.  I've done the application online at the marketplace site at least four times.  Every single time, I get all the way to signing electronically before being told that there is a problem with the site.  It saves my information and yet still makes me go through the entire application again whenever I log in to try to finish the stupid thing.  Ugh.

My advise is call the marketplace. I tried for 2 months to get thru online and finally just called. Relatively painless. Our premium did go up, but because of tax credit/subsidies we will only be paying about 20% of the monthly premium that we paid this year. Plus our deductibles and out of pocket cost are really low! It has been a lifesaver for us. We were on the verge of dropping our insurance because we just couldn't afford it. We are privately insured because dh employer does not provide coverage.

I don't think those numbers are correct for a family of six. I entered $30,000 and family of six into the calculator you linked, and it said the income was too low for a subsidy.

Sorry; I was talking about an individual "you" and linked the calculator for her to plug in her family stats. :)

The gap is explained pretty well here: http://kff.org/health-reform/issue-brief/the-coverage-gap-uninsured-poor-adults-in-states-that-do-not-expand-medicaid/

Basically, the law was written and subsidies calculated based on the mandatory expansion of Medicaid to 138% of the FPL. When the Supreme Court ruled that the Feds couldn't force states to expand Medicaid, the gap was created. Congress should have amended the law at least to fix this gap, but they won't do anything other than attempt to repeal it. Citizens in states that refused to expand Medicaid (or otherwise bridge the gap) are stuck. Political chicken game victims.

Be careful and monitor the aspects of your identity. From what I have read, the site is extremely insecure and your info can be stolen. Second, I have heard that some who think they have signed up will get a rude realization later that they in fact don't really have coverage.

It's just unreal that with an income of $25,000 they are ineligible for a subsidy but with just a little more income, they'd be eligible for $12,000 in subsidies. 

That's because the medicaid expansion is supposed to cover those people but some states opted not to do the medicaid expansion for their citizens, so those citizens fall through the cracks. Federal legislation is needed for this group of people.

The thing about insurance is that it's a gamble.  How much doctoring you've needed in the past means absolutely nothing the second you are hit by a drunk driver, or your hubby gets appendicitis.  And if you end up paying more next year in insurance than it would have cost out of pocket, you're one of the winners in the big picture, you know?  And with insurance, you'll be able to get various health screenings and checkups without additional charges.  Please do call and talk to a real person to see if there's a plan that works for you and your family.

Just to let you know, you can still go to an insurance agent and get a health insurance plan.  You don't have to go through an exchange.  At least with an agent, you can sit down with them and talk about what exactly is being covered, how much it will cost and all that, and give personal info directly to the company.

Just to let you know, you can still go to an insurance agent and get a health insurance plan.  You don't have to go through an exchange.  At least with an agent, you can sit down with them and talk about what exactly is being covered, how much it will cost and all that, and give personal info directly to the company.

I wonder if these agents are only allowed to sell ACA-compliant plans?

I thought the site was working at least 90 percent of the time. (at least that's what the news is reporting)

Hopefully everyone who signed up online is monitoring their credit, just in case!

I wonder if these agents are only allowed to sell ACA-compliant plans?

I'm sure the plans are ACA-compliant.  They would have to be to legally sell them, wouldn't they?  I just figured, why use the exchange if you don't have to?  While there is still so much uncertainty with them working properly and all, if you bought your policy from the company directly, you would at least know you have insurance, and that your info is less likely to be stolen or mishandled.

I didn't know there was any other way than the exchange.  I did find an exchange for my state (I think).  The plans there were terribly expensive.  The cheapest one was something like $250 per month with a $6,000 deductible!  And that was just for me (the kids are covered through the state).  I can't afford that!

I didn't know there was any other way than the exchange.  I did find an exchange for my state (I think).  The plans there were terribly expensive.  The cheapest one was something like $250 per month with a $6,000 deductible!  And that was just for me (the kids are covered through the state).  I can't afford that!

This is where I am. I know, firsthand, the NEED for healthcare coverage.

Just last weekend, I "had" to take my oldest to the ER for what I knew to be bronchitis - because I couldn't afford to take him to a Doctor.

My exchange rate turned out to be $205 per month. I am still hoping the kids will be covered by the state (based on my reduced income due to the accident). I can't afford $205 per month. At that point I can, the premium will be higher due to higher income.

*shrug*

I played around on the healthcare.gov site for NC, family of 5, and found that at 28,000, you are eligible for premium subsidy, but below that, no. 

For ALL of the incomes I checked (25k - 30k), your kids were all eligible for Medicaid/CHIP, and you would be if you were pregnant. 

At 28k, you'd get subsidies so that lower tier Bronze insurance is completely free (as well as plenty of help with OOP costs) for you and dh. Silver plans were around $50/mo for the two of you, Gold around $150-200, Platinum around $250/mo. The subsidies are insanely generous for folks in your shoes, so health care should be really very close to free if you can get on a plan.

Honestly, NC, and some other states led by governors and legislatures determined to destroy the ACA, have really nailed their poor constituents in their misguided resistance to expansion of Medicaid.

If I were in your shoes, with an income so close to the threshold, I would simply find a way to earn a few more thousand dollars. Dh or you could get an extra PT job. Or, if he is self-employed, do NOT deduct various eligible expenses, allowing extra gross income to roll through as net income. Get a summer job delivering pizzas or something like that. Or a seasonal job shoveling snow, or something at all that can bump that income up to the eligible bracket. You're probably getting the Earned Income Tax Credit, right? So, that'll multiply that income, too. 

(((Hugs))) and I am so sorry you live in such a stupid state!! (WV is pretty dopey on most things, but at least our state gov't didn't hose our poorest residents by rejecting the extra Medicaid funds!)

It is my understanding that this works fine for those who won't be eligible for any subsidy, but if you want/need the gov't subsidy, you have to go through the exchange (website, phone, in person, etc.)

I'm sure the plans are ACA-compliant.  They would have to be to legally sell them, wouldn't they?  I just figured, why use the exchange if you don't have to?  While there is still so much uncertainty with them working properly and all, if you bought your policy from the company directly, you would at least know you have insurance, and that your info is less likely to be stolen or mishandled.

Do you still get the subsidies if you qualify but go through an independent agent? And are there actual bonafide, from reliable sources, of data being stolen? If not, that kind of suggestion can make people feel insecure when there is not a reason to be.

It is my understanding that this works fine for those who won't be eligible for any subsidy, but if you want/need the gov't subsidy, you have to go through the exchange (website, phone, in person, etc.)

I don't know if you would get the subsidy or not, but it is still an option that I didn't see talked about.

I'll keep my thoughts on subsidies to myself. :-D

Do you still get the subsidies if you qualify but go through an independent agent? And are there actual bonafide, from reliable sources, of data being stolen? If not, that kind of suggestion can make people feel insecure when there is not a reason to be.

I guess it depends on what you consider a reliable source.

I haven't heard of info being stolen, but there have been reports on the insurance companies getting the wrong info from the exchanges. I just think it is going to take a while for everything to start running smoothly, and people should know they can still get their insurance from an agent if they need to.

That's because the medicaid expansion is supposed to cover those people but some states opted not to do the medicaid expansion for their citizens, so those citizens fall through the cracks. Federal legislation is needed for this group of people.

Yeah, I know why it happened, but it's just so unfair.

As I posted before, I used the marketplace for our insurance. We are still being insured by our same insurance carrier. In our state there is only 1 provider. I was told by my insurance co what plans were covered for subsidies, but had to apply through the marketplace. Once you apply, you will find out what portion of the premium you will be responsible for. I urge anyone and everyone who is concerned about being able to afford it to call and go through the process. That's the only way to know for sure. It seems that regardless if we use the subsidies or not, we are still getting the same coverage.

As I posted before, I used the marketplace for our insurance. We are still being insured by our same insurance carrier. In our state there is only 1 provider. I was told by my insurance co what plans were covered for subsidies, but had to apply through the marketplace. Once you apply, you will find out what portion of the premium you will be responsible for. I urge anyone and everyone who is concerned about being able to afford it to call and go through the process. That's the only way to know for sure.

Excellent advice. One only knows for sure, as to subsidies and options, if one actually go through the process. Don't base anything on hearsay!

Our family of 4 has insurance through dh's work which is BCBS HMO. He was told our plan is now increasing from $900/month to $1500/month. What part of Affordable Care Act is Affordable??? Affordable for whom? Certainly not for us. I don't know what we will do or should do. I see people who have government healthcare in other countries make statements that they don't understand why some Americans are upset by it. Well, for us....this is why. What are we going to do??? We can't afford $1500/month. It is so stressful right now trying to figure out what to do. Cancel it and pay the penalties and for everything out of pocket? Sigh... $600/month increase may be nothing to a lot of people. But it is a huge increase for us.

I am very confused by it all also.....but I do remember something about if the cost of employer offered insurance is over a certain percentage of your income that you will qualify for subsidies. So go through that process and see.

Our family of 4 has insurance through dh's work which is BCBS HMO. He was told our plan is now increasing from $900/month to $1500/month. What part of Affordable Care Act is Affordable??? Affordable for whom? Certainly not for us. I don't know what we will do or should do. I see people who have government healthcare in other countries make statements that they don't understand why some Americans are upset by it. Well, for us....this is why. What are we going to do??? We can't afford $1500/month. It is so stressful right now trying to figure out what to do. Cancel it and pay the penalties and for everything out of pocket? Sigh... $600/month increase may be nothing to a lot of people. But it is a huge increase for us.

If your insurance cost is 8% (or more) of your income then you should be exempt from paying the penalty for not having insurance.  Of course that still leaves you with a the problem of being uninsured and covering your health care costs.  You could look and see if you can find a cheaper plan going through the exchanges.  You wouldn't be eligible for a subsidy since you do have employer provided coverage but if you could get a better deal it might help.  I'm sorry you're in this position and hope something works out.

I am very confused by it all also.....but I do remember something about if the cost of employer offered insurance is over a certain percentage of your income that you will qualify for subsidies. So go through that process and see.

Our agent said if it was more than 9 percent (or close to that) for employer based insurance then we became eligible for the subsidy. It is my understanding he got that information directly through the Marketplace (they were on hold for two plus hours to get said information). 

DH was laid off in July and now works for a much smaller employer. The coverage offered through this employer was 1500 a month - for just DH and me. He makes less than 30 K per year - salaried. 

The boys are covered through Medicaid - SSI.  I had already applied and was turned down for Medicaid before finding this agent. 

It took a week before the website stayed up long enough for him to get our information entered and this was in the past two weeks. 

If your insurance cost is 8% (or more) of your income then you should be exempt from paying the penalty for not having insurance. Of course that still leaves you with a the problem of being uninsured and covering your health care costs. You could look and see if you can find a cheaper plan going through the exchanges. You wouldn't be eligible for a subsidy since you do have employer provided coverage but if you could get a better deal it might help. I'm sorry you're in this position and hope something works out.

Are you sure she wouldn't be eligible for the subsidies if the premiums through employer are over that percentage of income? And also I think that percentage is different for different income levels.

If employer coverage costs  > 9.5% of the family income then there is supposed to be a process to try to go through the exchange and utilize subsidies providing that the family income is between 100% and 400% of the FPL.  It gets a bit more complicated because I believe that you can only use the percentage for the amount paid in for the employed individual's coverage.  So if the employed individual is only paying a small amount for his/her personal coverage and the bulk of the cost is for the family then I believe the family again becomes ineligible.  They can still try to go through the exchange without subsidies though and that may be cheaper than the employer coverage.

Our agent said if it was more than 9 percent (or close to that) for employer based insurance then we became eligible for the subsidy. It is my understanding he got that information directly through the Marketplace (they were on hold for two plus hours to get said information). 

DH was laid off in July and now works for a much smaller employer. The coverage offered through this employer was 1500 a month - for just DH and me. He makes less than 30 K per year - salaried. 

The boys are covered through Medicaid - SSI.  I had already applied and was turned down for Medicaid before finding this agent. 

It took a week before the website stayed up long enough for him to get our information entered and this was in the past two weeks. 

Unfortunately, that's not correct.  If the employer offers insurance, no subsidies. If dependents can enroll, no subsidies for the family members.  It doesn't matter whether the employer pays a red cent of the premiums.  It makes me so mad!!!

Yes, if coverage is over 8% for the employee, employee is exempt from penalty. If coverage is over 8% for family members, they're exempt from penalty.  What good is that?  Personally, I'd like to keep my insurance.  We won't know until July how much it's going up, but BCBS's estimate is 35-40%.  Insurance on the exchange comparable to what we have now costs more than we're already paying.  Come August 1, maybe the exchange will be cheaper than our new rates, but open enrollment will be over.  My medical expenses average more than $10k/month. The rest of the family spent $10k in the first four months of our current policy year.  Being uninsured is not an option.

Like someone else said, affordable for whom?  There are more people uninsured now than before the ACA took effect.

To answer the affordable to whom question.....Affordable for me.  The plan we will be enrolled in come January 1st is significantly less then our current plan.

As for the original poster-the best thing to do is call the marketplace and give them your info and they will let you know what you are or are not eligible for.

In this case you may be able to go through the exchange, obtain insurance, and have your premium subsidized.  Two potential pitfalls:

1.)How much less than 30,000 does your DH make?  If you end up below the FPL then you won't be eligible for subsidies. 

2.)Would the employer provide DH with individual coverage for only a small amount (and the cost jumps a bunch to cover you or you and the kids).  I believe that if this is the case then unless the cost to cover DH alone is above the threshold then you won't be eligible.

To answer the affordable to whom question.....Affordable for me.  The plan we will be enrolled in come January 1st is significantly less then our current plan.

As for the original poster-the best thing to do is call the marketplace and give them your info and they will let you know what you are or are not eligible for.

I really am glad it helps you and I don't begrudge the people who are getting help.  I just wish our "representatives" would have designed a better system before passing it.  I have many friends who have lost their insurance or their premiums have increased by anywhere from 50% to 300%.  Some of them are in a panic trying to figure out a solution.

OP you are not alone. I have just begun to read the article on this URL:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2013/12/30/mom-spends-christmas-eve-fighting-worst-obamacare-glitch-yet/

I am posting it in this thread, because the mother is a Home Schooler.

It may be that on New Years Day,  and during January 2014, many people who have "Enrolled" in ObamaCare, and have paid their first premium, will discover that they do not have insurance coverage because of glitches in the system.

In this case you may be able to go through the exchange, obtain insurance, and have your premium subsidized.  Two potential pitfalls:

1.)How much less than 30,000 does your DH make?  If you end up below the FPL then you won't be eligible for subsidies. 

2.)Would the employer provide DH with individual coverage for only a small amount (and the cost jumps a bunch to cover you or you and the kids).  I believe that if this is the case then unless the cost to cover DH alone is above the threshold then you won't be eligible.

My agent went through the exchange, spoke with people at Healtcare.gov and gave them all our information. They said we qualified for a subsidy. He proceeded with the application based on what Healthcare.gov

told him via phone.

No, the cost of the coverage for DH alone is over 9.5 percent of his gross and that's with the employer picking up 50 percent. My husband is 61 - that makes his rate very high.

I can't go through the marketplace because my dh's employer offers us insurance that is too expensive for us.  When I asked I was told that because it is offered and we "rejected it" then we are ineligible.  I was able to find some insurance outside of the marketplace but it is still more expensive per month than we had formerly - for a comparable amount of coverage.  The one way I was able to cut some costs was to separate the kid's policies from mine.  The ACA requires certain coverage for children no matter what.  If I got their policies separately, these additional requirements are free to me.  When I had them on my policy then they added the cost of these additional requirements onto my policy.  I will gladly pay with extra checks just to save money.  

This is in my state, it may not be this way for providers in your state.  Also double check what exactly is covered under the ACA.  The marketplace plans do not cover any of the good hospitals (including the children's  hospital) in my area.  We would have been forced to drive farther to hospitals that do not have as good a reputation.  That was a deal breaker for me since my dd has a rare tumor that absolutely needs the care of the children's hospital.  

My agent went through the exchange, spoke with people at Healtcare.gov and gave them all our information. They said we qualified for a subsidy. He proceeded with the application based on what Healthcare.gov

told him via phone.

No, the cost of the coverage for DH alone is over 9.5 percent of his gross and that's with the employer picking up 50 percent. My husband is 61 - that makes his rate very high.

The bolded part is why you're eligible for subsidies.  A lot of employers pick up the entire premium for the employee and nothing for dependents, which throws them into the "family glitch" crack.

What Jean said...that is a concern of mine. I want to be able to take my kids to the good children's hospital that is less than 5 miles from our home if they are sick or injured. What good is paying for something if it is worth nothing to me if I can't get my children into a good quality hospital/doctor? Now, from reading some of the responses and yes I will call and check. But it sounds like we will not qualify for a subsidy because my dh's work pays for the majority of his and the rest he pays toward myself and our kids. And if we reject the coverage through his work are we then ineligible or did I misunderstand that part from Jean's post. Also, we are in a state that did not expand Medicaid.

You might be ineligible for the subsidies but you could still purchase through the exchange.

What Jean said...that is a concern of mine. I want to be able to take my kids to the good children's hospital that is less than 5 miles from our home if they are sick or injured. What good is paying for something if it is worth nothing to me if I can't get my children into a good quality hospital/doctor? Now, from reading some of the responses and yes I will call and check. But it sounds like we will not qualify for a subsidy because my dh's work pays for the majority of his and the rest he pays toward myself and our kids. And if we reject the coverage through his work are we then ineligible or did I misunderstand that part from Jean's post. Also, we are in a state that did not expand Medicaid.

I've been hearing that around here - a concern that the exchange policies will not include a good selection of providers and facilities.  Has anyone been able to see a list of providers for the exchange plans?  I've heard that there are no lists available, but I haven't gone through the enrollment procedure to find out.