Menu

Macaroni and cheese

Night Elf

I am not fantastic in the kitchen, and I make Mac-n-cheese weekly and it is yummy. If I can manage yummy Mac, anybody can. This is not fancy, but is fast and easy...

For two cups dry pasta (cook pasta then add sauce)

Two T. Butter (melt in saucepan)

Two T. Flour ( add to melted butter)

Two c. Milk

"Two- ish" c. Grated cheese. (I don't measure it, but I probably have 2-3 cups)

Salt/ pepper to taste

cheddar alone can be a little grainy ( though still tasty). If I have another cheese handy, I add it. (Dh loves pepper jack)

I add broccoli, ham, etc. to it sometimes to add variety.

What are Panko breadcrumbs? Can I just buy a canister of Progresso Italian breadcrumbs? I think I could do that recipe.

Another vote for Alton's stovetop recipe.  The best part:  no need to make a roux!  It really was very easy, and delicious.  WAY better than the recipe I tried last year for a baked version.  Blech, it was so dry.

Panko breadcrumbs are a little different than "regular," but you could certainly use regular without a problem.

From Wikipedia:

Panko (パン粉?) is a variety of flaky bread crumb used in Japanese cuisine as a crunchy coating for fried foods, such as tonkatsu. Panko is made from bread baked by passing an electric current through the dough,[1] yielding bread without crusts. It has a crisper, airier texture than most types of breading found in Western cuisine and resists absorbing oil or grease when fried, resulting in a lighter coating.

I like Alton Brown's Mac and cheese. He actually has a baked version and a stove top version. I have even made his fried Mac and cheese. Yum.

Yes! My family loves the stove top version. Just made it for lunch yesterday! Very easy. The only thing I do that he doesn't say is temper the eggs. I heat the milk and slowly add it to the beaten eggs while whisking. Then add it to the noodles. Otherwise the eggs cook as I add them to the noodles.

I am NOT a good cook but everyone does rave about my baked mac and cheese.  Dh's boyfriend even has me make extra so he can take it home for leftovers.

preheat oven to 400

boil up a pound of macaroni pasta

in another pot heat up 2 cups of full fat milk or since we usually do not have milk, i just mix 1 cup heavy cream with 1 cup of water

heat the milk up with 8 to 12 ounces of grated or pre bought shredded sharp cheddar cheese(set aside a decent amount of the shredded cheese, do not melt it, to use as a topping over the mixture

throw drained pasta into the pan that you are going to cook it in, mix the milk/cheese mixture  with the pasta, spread good amount of shredded cheese over the top

cook at 400 for about 45 min or until the topping is a golden brown.  The topping will be nice and crunchy and the inside will be very creamy.  I let everyone add their own salt to taste.

You might want ot check out a slow cooker recipes.  The quality of cheese you use makes a big difference, too.  If you like velveeta texture, you might want to use some.  If you like natural cheese, i think white melts better.  crumbs are just a topping and always optional.

Easy! Mac and cheese is my go-to when I know I'll have only a short time to make dinner.

We like this version for a healthy and delicious variation:

http://www.perrysplate.com/2010/02/bacon-butternut-skillet-mac.html

You can make this just as easily without the squash, but even my most "I hate squash" boy will eat this happily.

Cat

I make a four cheese with cheddar, Parmesan, ricotta and asiago.  I never measure anything, but looking at Alton Browns recipe they are probably the same proportions. 

8 ounces macaroni - cooked al dente

3 tablespoons butter cut into pieces

3 cups milk

1 egg

the cheeses - 2 cups cheddar, 1/2 cup parm - asiago mix, 8 ounces ricotta

salt and pepper

I beat the egg into the milk while the mac is cooking.  drain the mac, toss with butter.  combine milk and egg mixture with mac the cheeses and S&P. mixing well.  Pour the mixture into a buttered casserole and bake at 350* until golden brown 30-40 minutes.

I have done both the alton brown and pioneer woman recipe and they are both good.

If you just use all cheddar, it can be grainy.  Still yummy, but the texture isn't great.  I have been frustrated by this in the past until I read a tip to use half cheddar and half colby. Cheddar gives it a nice cheesy flavor and colby melts smoother. Also, if you take the roux off the heat and add your cheese a little at a time letting the cheese melt between each addition, you get a much nicer texture. 

There is nothing like homemade mac n cheese.  I hope you enjoy it.  :001_smile:

Joy

What are Panko breadcrumbs? Can I just buy a canister of Progresso Italian breadcrumbs? I think I could do that recipe.

I buy the Panko bread crumbs in a box at the grocery store right next to the other bread crumbs. Panko bread crumbs are not as finely ground as the regular kind and I don't think they are already seasoned. I have used homemade breadcrumbs as well. I don't think it matters that much.

I am not fantastic in the kitchen, and I make Mac-n-cheese weekly and it is yummy. If I can manage yummy Mac, anybody can. This is not fancy, but is fast and easy...

For two cups dry pasta (cook pasta then add sauce)

Two T. Butter (melt in saucepan)

Two T. Flour ( add to melted butter)

Two c. Milk

"Two- ish" c. Grated cheese. (I don't measure it, but I probably have 2-3 cups)

Salt/ pepper to taste

cheddar alone can be a little grainy ( though still tasty). If I have another cheese handy, I add it. (Dh loves pepper jack)

I add broccoli, ham, etc. to it sometimes to add variety.

This is our basic recipe, too.  SOOOO easy and creamy and yummy.  My kids LOVE it (it's best served just-made) and after we've eaten vegan for awhile and are ready to go back to regular eating, it's one of the first things they want.  We're making it Christmas day.  :)

I personally don't like baked Mac-and-cheese and especially don't like it with bread crumbs {shudder}.  In my experience, the baked version has been drier.  The recipe above is most like the boxed version when it comes to creaminess, but SOO much better.  We use straight Cheddar for the most part. 

I buy the Panko bread crumbs in a box at the grocery store right next to the other bread crumbs. Panko bread crumbs are not as finely ground as the regular kind and I don't think they are already seasoned. I have used homemade breadcrumbs as well. I don't think it matters that much.

AKA "chunky" breadcrumbs.  They seem to be all the rage in recipes, but....meh.

Here is how I make mac and cheese:

Cook macaroni according to the box. You don't have to cook it all the way, maybe a couple minutes less than the box says.

Butter a casserole dish. Pour in the almost cooked macaroni.

Chunk in about 12 oz of cheddar cheese and a half of a stick of butter.

Pour in heavy cream until you can see it peaking up through the pasta and cheese. (About 1-1 1/2 cups)

Put it in the over at 350 with the lid on.

After 30 minutes, pull out and stir. Sprinkle some shaved Parmesan cheese on the top.

Return to the oven with the lid on for 20 more minutes.

Salt and pepper to taste

It's also good with some cauliflower in it.

It's easy!  I use a Martha Steward recipe and it's delicious.  Probably the best Mac and Cheese I've ever had, and it's requested constantly when I go places that I have to take a dish.  

This recipe is for minis, but I just do all of it in a 9 x 13 pan.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for ramekin
  • 6 slices good-quality white bread, crusts trimmed, torn into cubes
  • 5 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 4 1/2 cups (about 18 ounces) grated sharp white cheddar cheese
  • 2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated Gruyere cheese
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked 2 to 3 minutes less than package directions
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter 84 one-ounce ramekins. In a small pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter; toss with bread in a medium bowl.

2. Heat milk over medium heat until just steaming. Melt remaining butter in a deep skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, stir in flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Whisking constantly, slowly pour in hot milk, bring to a boil, and cook until thick enough to coat back of spoon.

3. Remove from heat. Stir in nutmeg, cayenne, 3 cups cheddar, 1 1/2 cups Gruyere, salt, and pepper. Stir in macaroni.

4. Pour into ramekins. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses and breadcrumbs. Bake until browned, about 30 minutes.

I do something similar to this recipe with all milk instead of half cream, and I usually use a few kinds of cheese. Dubliner is really good in it, which tastes sort of like a Gruyere and cheddar combo to me. Oh, and I leave off the breadcrumbs for my whiners, but I prefer it with the little bit of crunch.

http://www.food.com/recipe/fannie-farmers-classic-baked-macaroni-cheese-135350