Menu

VBAC/VBA2C Success stories?

eloquacious

I"m not sure what your question is.  I've had four VBAC's.  the hospitals here are not allowing them as much due to risk factors.  My ob with dudeling had to stay on the hospital campus, but I was also laboring with Pitocin (rom twice, and no good contractions twice.).  I ended up having forceps to speed delivery - but he was over 10lbs.  part of the misery with him could have been my age and I had had pneumonia and bleeding during the pregnancy.  it was a miserable pregnancy.

my three previous VBACS were great.  easy labor, fast labor, fast delivery, typical labor and delivery.

Oldest was a C-section - and I had 3 successful vbacs afterwards.  (including 1 induction and 1 forceps delivery)

My OB told me that the risk of rupture from a vbac was much less than the risk of infection due to surgery.

However - now even though that is still his stance, our hospital will not allow vbacs any longer due to insurance regulations, so check your local hospital's policy on them.

To clarify: my OB is the one who is super pro VBAC, and the hospital is as supportive as could be.... So all in all a great situation, but the past two times my water has broken and labor has not progressed. I did over 24 hours on Pitocin the second time around before they realized that my son's hand was out in front of his head, at which point we decided to do a C/S. I made it to 1.5 with the first, around 4 with the second, but never beyond that, so my biggest fear is laboring for a long time only to wind up on the operating table anyways. Second biggest fear: the crazy uterine rupture/4th degree tearing stories I'm reading. :-(

I've had six VBACs.  Our first was a cesarean and the rest were all born at home completely natural.  You have to go with your gut/beliefs.  You'll find pros and cons for anything.  Even after the successes we've had birthing VBACs at home, I would probably consider having the next one at the hospital for reasons that are personal, and partly physical.  {Says the 47 year old whose baby-birthing days are likely over!}

I've had 4 VBA2C's.  They've all been pretty low on intervention but then again my labors have been very fast and there wasn't really anytime for them to do anything even if they wanted.  They've been lucky to get the IV in before baby was born (the one thing all my doctors have insisted on with my history)

6 VBACs here too.  1st three VBACs  were in hospital (on pitocin) but without epidural.  4th was in hospital completely natural (oh what fun not to be on pitocin) and last two were at home with a Certified Nurse Midwife.  I had no problems at all with any of my VBACs.

My first was a c-section. The two after that were natural. No meds. None of my delivery problems were because of the c-section, but I am not allowed to have a home delivery now because of having it. and I have to go to a major city to be on the safe side.

My mom had me and my sister by c-section, and although the doctor with my sister tried to make sure my mom would never be able to have a kid again (it was horrible and I was old enough to remember), she then had twins natural afterwards with no problems. Up here I don't know anyone that is capable of having a child vaginally that chooses to have a c-section, I know they are around, just not as commonly up here. I could find lots of good VBAC stories around here though from moms who had a c-section because of a breach baby or complications, but then why would they have another one if the next baby doesn't need it? There are horror stories out there for every procedure you could think of.

First baby--26 hours of labor, forceps used

Second baby--baby kept turning, possibility of cord prolapse, c-section

Third baby--VBAC, epidural, easiest birth of the three (and she was the largest at 9 lb 2 oz)

I really wanted the VBAC because the recovery time is so much faster and easier. My oldest is disabled, and after the c-section with her sister, I wasn't supposed to lift her for 6 weeks (but my doctor actually okayed me to do that at my 2 week check-up). Taking care of the other kids is just a lot easier if you're not recovering from a c-section. But the important thing is a safe delivery for mom and baby--I was monitored closely and an anesthesiologist was at the hospital, so a c-section could have been done with my third at any time if needed and I was okay with that.

I've had two VBACs! Both at home, both with babies that were significantly bigger than my c-section baby, and both times the labor was under 12 hours. My c-section baby was 40 hours! 

VBAC 1 was a 9lb girl, born after 9 hours of labor, most in the birth tub. 41 weeks 5 days. 

VBAC 2 was a 10lb 2oz boy, born after 10 hours of labor, most of it spent avoiding pushing cause I hate that part. 41 weeks 5 days. 

Seriously, it was almost anticlimatic it was so normal. 

I have two three friends that have had VBA2C with no complications or problems at all. 

Seriously lady, read some HAPPY stories and get your head in the right place! Yes, rupture is a small risk. But the risk of dying for you is lower overall, so that balances it out. And if your placenta isn't on your scar the risks, even if you do rupture, are not that great. Most of the time everyone is fine. 

Hugs. 

To clarify: my OB is the one who is super pro VBAC, and the hospital is as supportive as could be.... So all in all a great situation, but the past two times my water has broken and labor has not progressed. I did over 24 hours on Pitocin the second time around before they realized that my son's hand was out in front of his head, at which point we decided to do a C/S. I made it to 1.5 with the first, around 4 with the second, but never beyond that, so my biggest fear is laboring for a long time only to wind up on the operating table anyways. Second biggest fear: the crazy uterine rupture/4th degree tearing stories I'm reading. :-(

Ok, first, chiropractic care and spinning babies. com to make sure baby is in a good position. NO RECLINING!!! Poor position can be why labor doesn't start up. Also, in the UK the regulations are very different...they want labor to START in 24 hours, not have baby OUT in 24 hours. So you are probably totally normal :)

Second, I did have a pretty big tear with my first VBAC. It was..significant. But, honestly, hurt SO MUCH LESS than my c-section. Recovery was NOTHING compared to my c-section. You don't use those muscles to move around, go about daily life, the way you do your abdominals. I just sat on soft chairs/pillows for the first week. No biggie. Seriously. My sex life was NOT hurt by it, in fact things were better, no idea why. And my next vaginal birth had much less tearing. I think it was sitting on the birth stool that caused the tearing...some women tear on them more than they do in other positions. But really, I didn't feel myself tear or anything, had no idea I had until they looked and saw. And stitching was no big deal either. I was TERRIFIED it would hurt, tried to tell my midwife I didn't want to be stitched, etc. I needed it though, so my best friend held my hand. and low and behold, didn't hurt. 

You will be fine. And if you DO labor and have a c-section at least the baby will have chosen his own birthday, and you will know he is ready to come out. AND that laboring will help squeeze the fluids out of him, prepare him for birth, etc. 

Do you have a chapter of ICAN near you?

I had one c-section for breech and then 5 more kids by VBAC, including a set of twins.

From what you describe, I agree with the PP who suggests paying attention to the baby's position and seeing whether you might influence that.  Also try to avoid P-PROM if possible (by keeping cervix checks to a minimum?  I don't know).  I also agree with the suggestions to pay attention to your instincts as far as whether to choose repeat C or vbac.  Good luck!!

I had a vaginal birth, then a c-section (her cord was really short and she couldn't descend), then a vaginal birth. But, my last two were in Germany, which is very big on doing everything as naturally as possible. I think waiting as long as possible to go to the hospital helps with any birth.

My first was a c/s.  I was an ignorant first-timer & agreed to be induced on my due-date for no medical reason except baby "might be too big if I go post-dates".  Baby wasn't ready, sunny-side up, got stuck after 36 hours.  Came out with a purple forehead.  Only 8 lbs.

Next 3 were all VBAC's.  Generally speaking they were uneventful.  Technically, they were not induced although I needed pitocin for each one because I just never had regular contractions.  Each one was post-dates by 6, 10, 13 days respectively.  My last one had the cord wrapped several times & we almost needed another c/s.  I had epidurals for all 4.  I was worried, too, but my OB's were wonderfully supportive and appropriately cautious.

Typing with successful VBAC baby on lap right now. :) 

My first was a birth center transfer to hospital for failure to progress; eventual uneventful c-section for no apparent reason other than baby would not descend. I labored with no meds 'till 8 cm, then...nothing. Off to the hospital, got pitocin, pitocin didn't help, pushed for 2+ hours anyway, no baby, off to c-section.

With my second I saw my chiropractor (Webster certified and uses the activator method) very regularly and did spinning babies. Out came baby, easy peasy. Second was exactly the same size as first, to the ounce. My midwife is convinced the chiropractic care made the difference; there was really no reason my first wasn't born vaginally other than bad positioning and misalignment of my pelvis and hips (they are definitely big enough. lol). Before and after x-rays of my hips and pelvis would suggest that this is case as well. 

My first was a C/S due to breech.  I'm overweight and no luck turning baby.  I also had other risk factors, like high blood pressure which was putting me close to preeclampsia. 

Second was a very successful VBAC.  I had to be induced because a Biophysical profile showed very low fluid around baby.  I was induced with a foley catheter (the kind they use to drain your bladder).  The Dr. inserted it past the cervix and filled the balloon with water to hold it in place.  The force of gravity from the balloon pushing on the cervix mimics the head of the baby being engaged and pushing downward.  The balloon will only help dilate you to 5cm or so, and then your body needs to take over without that pressure.  Some people stall at this point and never make it past 5 without that pressure on the top of the cervix. 

I had no problem.  As soon as the balloon was inflated I started with contractions (within a minute or two!!), which continued until he was born, even after the catheter was removed / fell out when I dilated past 5cm.  Labor was 22 hours.  Not abnormal for a first delivery. 

I am due in a few months, and am planning a second VBAC.  Hopefully I will go into labor on my own, but if there are complications, my OB plans on inducing the same way this time. 

I just filled out my VBAC consent form yesterday.  The statistics on it are that 70% of those who try a VBAC will have a successful delivery.  The VBAC risks are greater to baby, the repeat C/S risk is greater to mom. 

If possible, they avoid cytotec or whatever cervical softeners they use for a regular delivery.  This can soften your C/S scar and increase the risk of rupture.  Pitocin can increase the risk as well.  It is often used, but more judiciously than in non VBAC's.  They used some once labor was going, but they needed things to move a little faster as DS was in a little distress. 

I did have 2 tears.  They were not major tears.  I'm not sure what degree but a few stitches after the birth was all it took. 

Really it is a very personal decision.  You have to acknowledge that the risks to baby are greater, which is hard to accept!  But, I looked at it like every C/S I have is a bigger danger to me.  My OB does not like to do more than 3-4, although I know others allow more.  I need to be here for the kids I have, and continuing to have C/S increases the risk over time.  The recover is also SO MUCH EASIER with a VBAC.  I remember it being so hard to move around in bed to go get the baby when DD was crying to be fed.  No such issues after DS.  Some dermoplast spray for a sore bottom and that was about it, lol. 

I hope you find an answer you are comfortable with :)