Menu

How do you dye your hair?

momofkhm

My grey hair is bothering me more than I ever thought it would.  I mentioned it to dh a while back and his answer was "So what color will you dye it when you do?"  No trying to talk me out of it.  He's not bothered by it, he has a lot more grey than I do. 

I have told my dds that they will not be dyeing their hair while they live in my house so I almost feel this is a do as I say not as I do.  I have a friend who uses henna to cover up her grey.  But it says that it adheres to grey in a orange color.  Friend has very dark, almost black hair and not a ton of grey.  You don't see orange in her hair, you just see glints of color.  It does look reddish on her.  But my natural color is a light brown and I think orange would look orange.

I don't have the funds to go in and have it done every couple of months.  So I'm looking to do it at home.  Are the natural hair dyes (like at Whole Foods) any good?  What about the ones that say "natural"?  Are they really?

Oh, so I want to dye it the current color, light brown.  I don't want it to look dyed.

Thanks!

I have had my hair professionally dyed in the past but finances require me to do it myself.  I just buy a box closest to my natural color.  In the past, I played around with color more but now I'm more into consistency.

Some of the "natural" brands don't cover gray well, or so I've heard or read.  Not sure where though.  I use Clairol or Revlon Colorsilk myself. But I'm cheap. :-)

Just curious why you don't want your daughters to dye their hair?

I dye mine at home using the $6 Nice-and-Easy boxes.  Trial and error has taught me that since I have lots of red in my hair, I stick to the Ash colors (usually Light Ash Brown or Dark Ash Blonde).  Using the regular brown gave it an orange tint.

One great way to stretch your money is to go in and get your hair professionally colored once, then do your own touch ups and root covers as needed using the boxed dye.  I can easily stretch a good professional color job out for 9 months or a year that way before the color starts to fade.

I use henna. My hair is medium brown and my silver hairs do turn more of a reddish color. Overall I look like brunette with auburn highlights. When I am in bright light my hair looks much more red. If you check out hennaforhair.com there is lots of info and some pictures to give you an idea of what your before and after will be like. Their henna is expensive, though. If you have a local Indian grocer they may carry it. My local health food store carries it also.

I've been using Clairol Natural Instincts for years (started going gray in my 20's).   It's the semi-permanent, ammonia-free color that washes out after 28 (or so) shampoos.  My hair is medium/dark brown, and I use their Medium Brown #20

I've tried henna and a few other natural dyes, but they didn't work for me (didn't cover the gray, and the color didn't turn out right). I'd love to find an all-natural product that works well, as I try to avoid chemicals as much as possible.  However, I haven't been able to find a good natural hair dye.

The reason I color at home is for convenience.  When I have my hair colored at the salon, I basically have to block out an afternoon.  Doing it at home takes me 20 minutes every 6 weeks.

Just curious why you don't want your daughters to dye their hair?

The chemicals involved.  I want their young hair to be natural.  I know once they are out of my house, they can do as they wish.  So far (1/2 semester of college) oldest still hasn't used real dye.  The same friend bought her some henna and she used that when she was home over fall break.

your dds would be dyeing to experiment - you'd be dyeing for vanity.  ;p

I'm naturally blonde - so I have my hair foiled in three different colors to cover the gray.  it doesn't show roots the way a solid color does.  dh encourages me to - he has FAR LESS gray than I do, and is in his mid 60's.  it's just not fair. . . . ..  I do hate spending the money. (he's a redhead) 

I had one salon color my hair , . . . and it turned out pink because gray doesn't react like normal hair. . . . . I'd do it myself, but I don't want pink hair.  I also have very thick hair.

The hive turned me on to the "temporary" mainline dye. It's great. It lasts about twice as long as the box says and it comes out slowly so you don't end up with roots versus ends. I like it a lot, and it's time for me to dump a HUGE box on my head and hope that I picked the right color.

The chemicals involved.  I want their young hair to be natural.  I know once they are out of my house, they can do as they wish.  So far (1/2 semester of college) oldest still hasn't used real dye.  The same friend bought her some henna and she used that when she was home over fall break.

That makes sense to me.  And I don't think they can call hypocrisy on you if you dye your hair.

I've been coloring my hair off and on since I was 13. When I want something drastic (highlights, lowlights, major color change) I pay a professional. When I want a single color for a change or to have a natural cover-the-gray look, I do it at home from a box. I tried a number of the natural options over the years, but they always ended up with a more fake appearance than the unnatural chemicals that I've given up.

Personally, I'd advise staying away from Feria - it has some of the best color that first week but fades so fast that it requires constant upkeep. I would also advise staying away from anything with a reddish tint to it if you're nervous (including henna) as these seem to have the highest chance of going "wrong". I've had almost every color ever and reds have been my only true disasters.

There is a new John Freida foam coloring kit that is by far the easiest and most evenly colored thing I've ever used. And it has enough built in conditioners that my hair was softer after coloring it than it was before. You can buy it at Target for about $12.

I have it done at the salon. But I don't go to a high end swanky salon, so it's not that expensive. I hated doing it myself and I didn't get very even coverage because I have a lot of hair. The gal who cuts my hair suggested that if I were to do it myself, then I should use 2 boxes of dye to get more even coverage. I figured that if I had to buy 2 boxes and since I hated doing it anyway, I should just have her do it. It is very close to my natural color.

I have it dyed at a salon. I fried my long, dry, curly hair when I tried to do it myself. It is dyed the same color as my natural hair and about every 6 months, I have highlights added. It is worth it to me. I do my roots with a Clairol root kit 2-3 times between salon visits. I end up at the salon about once a quarter.

I use Nice N' Easy and have been using the product for the past 6 months.  I used to get my hair highlighted at the salon, but I can't afford it anymore.  I just dyed my hair tonight.  I tried a different color this time- a dark blonde.  It turned out well.  Have you gone into a Sally's Beauty Supply shop?  I have friends that get their hair dye there and are pleased with the advice they get in the shop.  I was really scared to dye my hair for the first time, but I'm hooked now.       

I've been coloring my hair since I was about 13.  I really wanted to go blond and my mom let me.  I have a load of red in my hair, so it was more strawberry blond, but I liked it.  I've changed the colors from blond to brown to red and back countless times.    For year I've had it it done in the salon, but I cut 16" of my hair off, and they still want $150+ to do it, and I refuse to pay that for hair that's just past my ears.  I use the John Freida foam, and have gotten really good coverage, with that (I went gray at 28 and am now about 60-70% gray).  I also highlight my hair, but you have to be brave to do that one.  I have to say, I really do miss having it done at the salon though.  The color lasts longer and man I love to have my hair washed by someone else!

I don't think it's hypocritical of you to dye your hair when you won't let your girls.  Besides, you're the mom!

Here's another suggestion, from someone who is very, very gray- try a really updated hair cut and make-up first.  Coloring gray at home can be tricky.  Ask me how I know :cursing:   The main problem is that you can use a box dye and it will work great- then when you touch it up your gray makes does something weird.  I've got to get a new picture for my siggie- I've gone gray and really love it.  I just keep the cut changing.  My teen daughters say I look better now than when I was coloring it.

My hair is short, and the gray is very wirey.  It is a mess with no color.  

I've been using Avon for several years and was completely happy, but they've discontinued it.  Thankfully I had just stocked up, but I'll be shopping around again soon.  Oh well.

I started a year ago. I first used Garnier Herbashine. It was okay. Easy, painless, not a shock for a first timer. Then I complimented a friend on her hair and she told me she uses Loreal Healthy Look so I tried that and never went back. It washes out after 28 shampoos, or it's supposed to but it lasts very well, maybe because I use color safe shampoo. From some advice on the boards, I went with something a little warmer than my dark brown hair. I also leave it on my roots five minutes longer than recommended because of the resistant greys. I have longer hair and next time I'm going to use two boxes.

I get my hair done at the salon.  I have never found a box dye that sticks to my gray.  It looks great for a week and then all my gray hairs are showing again.  I did find when I got highlights I could stretch the time between coloring. 

I use henna. My hair is medium brown and my silver hairs do turn more of a reddish color. Overall I look like brunette with auburn highlights. When I am in bright light my hair looks much more red. If you check out hennaforhair.com there is lots of info and some pictures to give you an idea of what your before and after will be like. Their henna is expensive, though. If you have a local Indian grocer they may carry it. My local health food store carries it also.

sunflowerlady - can you message me how this works? I have dark brown hair. I'd love to try henna but have been chicken.

I'm interested, Negin!   I like my hair, and I don't object to gray - but I really don't like the 50/50 look - that just looks drab. 

Anne

Anne, I just remembered that I have posted my tips before. You can view them here. The tips would be different depending on the color you choose. I love how Lush Henna makes my hair feel. My grays are very stubborn and coarse. It covers almost all of them. The results improve with each separate application. If you do decide on Lush Henna, I highly recommend visiting their site and reading all the reviews. Those reviews are very helpful. 

I use the L'Oreal boxes that also have the highlighter kit in them.  I color once per 6 weeks, although it has been 8-9 weeks now and I have tons of grey showing.

I have always had auburn hair so I use the reddish tones, but stay away from anything that looks burgundy as it is too brassy.

This is the one I really like:  http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=178691&catid=183441&cmbProdBrandFilter=120010  I get compliments on this one when I can find it.

I am rather upset at the moment because Walmart, Target, and CVS have all stopped carrying this brand.  What I really need to do is call L'Oreal and ask them what the base is without the highlights so that I can still buy the base color if that is all that is available.