Menu

what are your 12-14 yr old boys reading? Mine are in a book slump

I have read many great posts about pre-teen reading books, but now that my boys have read all the suggestions, we are at a loss.  

They are looking to branch out of the science-fiction realm, maybe some more mystery-type stuff or adventure.   Even some adult stuff that is OK for kids.  

I hate to say it, but they are not into "old" stuff, classics.  They are forced to read enough of that for school. :)  Any ideas?

thank you

K

My 12yr old enjoys Percy Jackson, Red Pyramid, the Among the Hidden series, Warriors, 100 Cupboards, Edgar Allen Poe- especially illustrated by Grimm Grisly, Castle in the Attic, Harry Potter, and that's about all so far. He only listened to the audio of Castle in the Attic and 100 Cupboards. I had him read The Hot Zone and he said it wasn't too bad. He is an advanced reader, but for fun he usually likes to stick to middle school level books. He usually doesn't read for fun, however....

Edgar Allen Poe and Among the Hidden are the only ones of those that aren't strictly sci/fi or fantasy. Another book he read and said "wasn't that bad" was The Hot Zone.

My DS loves dystopian literature and fantasy. Here are a few books he read for fun during the past year:

War of the Worlds – HG Wells

The Martian Chronicles – Ray Bradbury

Farenheit 451 _Ray Bradbury

Brave New World – Aldous Huxley

Catch 22 – Joseph Heller

The Lord of the Flies - William Golding

1984 - George Orwell

The Fault in Our Stars  and several other books by  John Green

Among the Hidden series                  Margeret Haddix

different books by R.A. Salvatore

Books  he liked when he was 12 include these series:

Artemis Fowl

Percy Jackson

Alex Rider

Ranger's Apprentice

My son has been very into sci-fi (esp. Star Wars), which is not great writing, but does sometimes stretch vocabulary.  

From that we segued to some other books like Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy, which was a 19th century idea of what the year 2000 might be like.  Through the Eyes of a Stranger is a contemporary book about ideas for a future and also an adventure, which also seems a reasonable segue.

I guess we have segued to Utopian rather than Dystopian literature.

I presume if you've done pre-teen books that you've already read things like Hatchet.

Then House of Hades arrived and took precedence over other directions.

Another really good series, written by N.D. Wilson, (100 cupboards series) is "The Ashtown Burials".  So far there are 3 books.  

You could try the Johnny and the Dead series (start with "Only You Can Save Mankind)  it's YA.  The only problem is the 3rd book is a little hard to come by(used from Amazon is your best option).

I personally love Terry Pratchett and have read most of the Discworld novels (26 and still counting).  Some of his books have a few risque references and you might want to steer clear for the 12 y.o. IMO, I would stick to the "Wee Free Men" for him. If you decide to give Discworld a try keep in mind there are different sets/series so the story jumps around a bit. 

As for mysteries, a lot of current YA mysteries have female protagonists.  Not in of itself bad, but where there are girls, authors must throw in a teenage romance. So it might be hard to find something to fit.  If you do please let me know, we're looking for some new books too. 

You could try(on our list to read) 

Young Sherlock Holmes

Blink and Caution

My 13 year old LOOOOOVES the Rick Riordan series.  Loved Percy Jackson.  We will be starting some by Chuck Black and giving those a try.  We've read 39 Clues, but those aren't his favorites.

Here's a link I've visited before.

http://www.rickriordan.com/my-books/percy-jackson/resources/ricks-reading-recommendations.aspx

Mine are older, but here are some suggestions--

Over Sea Under Stone, and the other books in the series, have excellent plots and vocab. 

Have they read all the Inkheart series? Much to discuss--for example, just how much is a creator responsible for his creation? 

Sherlock Holmes and O. Henry stories are quick and interesting. 

Have they read Ender's Game?

I haven't read Into The Wild, but have heard it's good. Sad, tho. 

I second Michael Crichton's books--some I've liked: Jurassic Park, Andromeda Strain (it's a little slow)

It's sci-fi, but have they read Ray Bradbury's Illustrated Man? I read it this summer, and REALLY liked the collection of short stories. Lots to talk about. 

OK, I know you said they wanted to branch out of science fiction, but here's a fantasy options for you (I noticed MFW in your siggy, so I'm guessing you're okay with Christian suggestions): Binding of the Blade series by L.B. Graham. What an awesome series! I had a 12-year old boy here the other day, and he wouldn't put down the book to talk to anyone! He took two of the series home with him to borrow! Here's book 1. Books 3-5 are almost impossible to put down once started.

My middle ds, now 16, read All Creatures Great and Small when he was 12, and I just started reading it to my current 12 yo. I loved that book so very much myself. It gives us a chance to talk about cultural differences, rural life (we are suburban but I had a very rural childhood), morality, alcohol, etc. So much there!

We are really struggling with this right now for ds13. He loves sci fi, but so much of it leans toward spiritism IMO.....which I don't approve of. I don't have time to pre read everything.....

I am having a hard time finding a balance....so much of literature is good vs evil which is fine....but some of it just creeps me out and seems a little demonic.

If anyone has suggestions on books which avoid all of that I'd love to hear them.

OK, I know you said they wanted to branch out of science fiction, but here's a fantasy options for you (I noticed MFW in your siggy, so I'm guessing you're okay with Christian suggestions): Binding of the Blade series by L.B. Graham. What an awesome series! I had a 12-year old boy here the other day, and he wouldn't put down the book to talk to anyone! He took two of the series home with him to borrow! Here's book 1. Books 3-5 are almost impossible to put down once started.

I just looked these books up and book 1 is free for kindle on the series' website.