Menu

Should I speak up about being overpaid?

NicAnn

I'm kind of having a moral dilemma about my job. I care for two middle school kids about 12 hours a week. I also do some housecleaning while I'm there. The job is easy. I'm the first outside person they've hired.

My issue is that I'm being paid quite a bit more than my usual rate. When the mother told me the rate she said she wanted to pay well so Id stick around. I can really appreciate that, having been in education and childcare for years. But even still, I'd do the job for less.

Would you say something?

Or maybe even collect the extra money and donate it or something?

Your employer is paying you what she thinks is a fair rate. 

I no longer require babysitting services, but when I did I ALWAYS paid more than the going rate.  I wanted to keep my babysitters happy so they would come back.  :)

Your children are your greatest assets, how can you put a price tag on their care?

The parents chose how much they wanted to pay. You certainly didn't mislead them in any way. Since she said she wanted to pay you well, I would guess that she has an idea of the market rate. She said that she values you and wants to keep you. I would take her for her word, take good care of her children, and let the extra money bless your family.

What you're describing isn't being overpaid, at least not how I think of it. To me, overpaid is when your employer accidentally pays you more than your agreed upon wage. It sounds like this family is compensating you how they stated they would. They feel you're worth it.

Let your employer do as she likes with her money.   Sounds like she made a conscious decision to pay you the rate.  Enjoy it.  If you want to donate the excess, do it, or if you want to spend it like a drunken sailor on payday, do it - it's your money to do with as you please.  

I also overpaid babysitters in the form of a large tip every time. It's important to keep a good babysitter happy!

If you both agreed to a rate before you started working, you aren't being overpaid. Your subject line made it sound like you were given extra money by mistake, and that's not the case.

I don't think being well compensated should cause an ethical dilemma for you. She already explained that she wants to pay you well, so I don't see that you are taking advantage of her.

I'm kind of having a moral dilemma about my job. I care for two middle school kids about 12 hours a week. I also do some housecleaning while I'm there. The job is easy. I'm the first outside person they've hired.

My issue is that I'm being paid quite a bit more than my usual rate. When the mother told me the rate she said she wanted to pay well so Id stick around. I can really appreciate that, having been in education and childcare for years. But even still, I'd do the job for less.

Would you say something?

Or maybe even collect the extra money and donate it or something?

I'd keep the money and be thankful!

It sounds like you do a good job for her.

Often, people want to pay more as an extra incentive to keep you happy and, as the mom told you, to keep you around.

It doesn't matter if you'd work for less.  When I was a kid and babysat, some people always paid more.  It didn't mean I wouldn't work for people who paid less, but it meant that I was always happy to work for the people who paid more!

I agree with the others. I have been on the side of paying more, it's a choice, just appreciate it!

I have sometimes felt someone was underpaid at the going rate for what they were offering me, and paying more was my attempt to show them how much I valued the work they were giving.

You aren't being overpaid. That would be an error in your paycheck (like getting more change back then was owed to you). In that type of circumstance, of course you should speak up. In your situation though, your employer has determined your salary & is totally aware of your duties and set wage. I'd feel blessed & enjoy it! :)

As others are pointing out, some people are perfectly happy to "overpay" for service that they value. The going rate for wait staff is generally around 20%. We frequent a particular restaurant where one waitress in particular is so wonderful that we usually tip her over 100%. We don't hire people to care for our children, but if we did, I'd surely want to compensate them well. Well-paid people tend to take more pride in the work they do.

Well paid people feel less resentful, and isn't that exactly the attitude you want from someone caring for your children?

I would absolutely overpay someone I loved, if I had the money.  I think it's a wonderful investment in these children.   Don't feel the least bit guilty.   Feel appreciated!

Dude, do NOT feel guilty about this, lol. Rock on. Seriously.

Coming from the other end, as someone who was/is providing 10 hours of care and one-on-one tutoring for a child and being grossly UNDERpaid, please know that sometimes employers pay more than the going rate, to keep a good thing going. We pay our own sitter more than the going rate for a teenage sitter - we love her, she's trustworthy, and the children adore her... we want to keep her and we want her to know that we value her. Since we only use her once a month or so, it is important to us that she knows we want her to stick around :)

It sounds like you're undervaluing yourself (as some lovely ladies here have pointed out to me recently). It sounds like your employer is happy with the arrangement.