Menu

What are quality nonbattery operated toys for 5-7 boys?

Meadowlark

I'm starting to think about a birthday and Christmas coming up. I am SO over batteries and don't want anything else battery operated in my house.

Do you have any suggestions for me of toys your boys have loved? Of course it depends on the child, but I'm having a hard time. It seems that most things I think are great, they barely play with. I'll give you some hits and misses;

Hits

trains, we have a bunch of track and tons of trains

Farm playsets and animals

Misses

Legos

Blocks

thanks!

Playmobil.

once we started getting that, my kids never played with anything else for the next six years.

Okay, I'm so glad I found this board so I can ask about Playmobil. We don't have any, but every year I think and think about it, and am discouraged about 2 things, the price and the millions of pieces. It seems like I will spend a fortune for the kind of set that I'd want. Where or where do you get them for a reasonable price? Which ones do you especially love? How do you store them so that the pieces don't get lost?

We invested in a few smaller, less costly Playmobil sets, which is what I would suggest first...they are only played with every few months here, so I'm glad I didn't jump right in with a huge, expensive set! Some sets come with a case (or, in the case of our skate park set, the set itself folds into a case). For the one set we have that didn't come with storage, I just bought an appropriate-sized rubbermaid storage container for it.

I wish Playmobil was more popular here--I think it's cool! But my son isn't too fond of toys (contrary to what he will tell you...).

Okay, I'm so glad I found this board so I can ask about Playmobil. We don't have any, but every year I think and think about it, and am discouraged about 2 things, the price and the millions of pieces. It seems like I will spend a fortune for the kind of set that I'd want. Where or where do you get them for a reasonable price? Which ones do you especially love? How do you store them so that the pieces don't get lost?

I got our sets from Kohl's during Christmas time, I waited until decent sale AND when I had a 30% off coupon (for card holders). Usually free shipping if you spend so much. I got one large set (farm), and a few medium sets and that was his main gift. After Christmas, they had a few sets on clearance so we picked up the Santa's workshop set super cheap. 

My boys play with everything in phases; they will play with Legos for days, then Lincoln Logs, then Playmobil, etc. So if something sits for awhile, I don't worry. Ds hadn't played with Playmobil for months until yesterday when we started putting together our new playroom. Now he is begging for more sets. 

Playmobil has never been a hit here, unfortunately.

I'll toss in the Haba Ball Track as a possibility.  It's so much fun.  Also, just because "blocks" haven't been a success doesn't mean other building toys or special blocks wouldn't be - like you might consider Keva/Kapla Blocks.

I also second tape.  Tape is the best toy ever.  And if you have a creative reuse center near you, tape and random stuff is the most fun my boys ever have and it has been that way since they were about 5 yo.

My boys have gotten tons of play value out of Magnatiles. My nephews play have at their house too. They've gotten a set every Christmas and birthday (their request) since they were 5 or 6. My nephews get a lot of play out of magnatiles too. My boys have also loved matchbox type cars. Playmobile wasn't a hit here, though we only had two sets and they were probably 5 when I got them.  My kids played more with duplo lego than regular, at least until the last couple of years. Even then, we've gotten tons more play out of other things.

I was at first thinking legos, but since you said those are a miss, how about Tinker Toys or Lincoln Logs?  I like to look at Magic Cabin and Timberodoodle catalogs to get ideas when I am shopping.  I can usually get similar things or but cheaper elsewhere, but they do have great suggestions and you can shop with MC by gender, age, and interest.

Maybe K'Nex?

Just because they don't like Legos or blocks right now, doesn't mean they won't eventually.

My kids (will be 10 and 8 this month) play more with their Playmobil now than they did when they first got most of their stuff 3 years ago.  DS has also played with Legos more in the last year or so but he's still not fanatical about them.

Things my DS especially likes:

Trains (Thomas trains and track, by far my best toy investment.  They still play with them almost every day)

K'nex

Zoobs

GeoMags

Marble runs  - we have a Quercetti set and Qba Maze

Snap Circuits - uses batteries but not in the same way as other toys

His favorite thing to do is create zip lines from the upstairs to the front door and run stuffed animals down the zip line.  A few days ago he added an elevator made from a bucket.

I was also going to say about the Playmobil, we only have one large piece, the pyramid and it really doesn't get played with much.  My kids like the small sets better.

We have a small castle that looks similar to the Dragon Knights Castle.  They like that and I'm glad I didn't invest in one of the big castles.

We have a couple of the small carrying case sets.

And a bunch of knights, Vikings, and Egyptians that I bought in small sets.

Ds has quite a lot of playmobile and the things he plays with most is a Trex, a dragon, and four alligators. The Trex came from this site but we bought the alligators and dragon by themselves. 

http://www.playmobil.us/on/demandware.store/Sites-US-Site/en_US/Product-Show?pid=5230

But there are fun things older kids might like such as pirate ships, knights, and secret agents. 

I also like those cool knights toys. I see them at craft stores and Target. Ds has a couple knights and a dragon. I think we are going to be getting more of these for him this year.

http://www.schleich-s.com/en/US/toys/knights/

We love Playmobil here, too, but it goes in waves.

I really wanted to suggest the Haba Ball Track - I think someone above suggested it as well.  That is a great, great toy, and will last forever.  Haba toys are excellent.

Keva planks are fabulous, also.

We have a collection of marble runs - all are great.  Oh, and one year we did the big domino run from Hearthsong.  That's still fun.

Tape and random items - huge hit here - but I've never been able to give those items as the main gift somehow.  Some hang up of mine about gift giving.  Tape makes a great stocking stuffer though!

My 6 yo DS prefers Trio to Lego. Really, Trios are his favorite toy and have been since he got a set two years ago.

Other things he plays with lots include:

Razor Scooter  (tie with bike)

dress up, especially weapons!

hotwheels cars (If he likes trains, he might like track and cars?)

action figures - knights, dragons, superheroes, Star Wars etc. Our playmobil people end up in a basket with all the rest of the people. We don't have any of the big sets.

play doh and tools for it

paints of any kind.

binoculars

net for catching frogs/fish etc.

an occasional thing, but great fun wwhile they last - giant boxes from appliances. Free if you time it right at a store!

Beyblades are a huge hit with my boys right now.  You don't have to know the show, just having tops that "battle" is really fun - and no batteries!

Ok, this takes batteries, but it's not like a "toy" that takes batteries if that makes sense.  But snap circuits.  Got my ds his first set at 6 and he LOVES them!  I think they sell a solar panel thing for them if you are totally opposed to batteries, but it does not go through tons like most toys and the toy itself is very educational.

My boys didn't like legos all that much when younger.  My 8yo REALLY got into them a year ago.  My 6yo is just getting more into them - mostly because of big brother.  But you might be surprised.  Right now they love the Ninjago and Chima sets.

Oh, and musical instruments are a huge hit here too.  

Balls. Baseball, soccer, wiffle, playground, hockey, etc etc knee hockey sets are fun.

Soldier and minature sets -DS will spend hours and hours setting up scenes and acting them out. Added bonus: they are cheap.

Human sized inflatable hamster ball. Best money I ever spent.

Indoor rock wall. Seriously, get the rocks and put them up on your hall wall. Unless you rent...

Games! Check out boardgamegeek.com current favorite here is Nuts. The fast playing card games are a dinner time staple.

Food.

Bayblades

Balls. Baseball, soccer, wiffle, playground, hockey, etc etc knee hockey sets are fun.

Soldier and minature sets -DS will spend hours and hours setting up scenes and acting them out. Added bonus: they are cheap.

Human sized inflatable hamster ball. Best money I ever spent.

Indoor rock wall. Seriously, get the rocks and put them up on your hall wall. Unless you rent...

Games! Check out boardgamegeek.com current favorite here is Nuts. The fast playing card games are a dinner time staple.

Food.

Bayblades

Okay, one of my boys is very....battle/weapon/war interested. I know this is not uncommon for a 5 yr. old boy, but I have to be honest and say it scares me a bit. Okay, a lot. So, when I read suggestions about giving him weapon type things or soldier sets, I'm conflicted. He would LOVE anything like that. We have nothing in our house like that a lot. Sidenote: my brother (this boys godfather) committed suicide with a gun 4 years ago. I hate guns. They make me shudder. My son LOVES them, and swords, and anything that has to do with violence.

So..do I feed into that? Do I stop fighting it, OR will it make his obsession worse? I would't say I'm fighting it really, but definitely not encouraging it. My older son is opposite so we've never really needed to have anything like that as far as toys go. Anyway, just wanted to hear opinions on this.

What would be some started toys that he might like? Not sure if I'm ready for full on weapons though...KWIM? Thanks.

Marble run! Ds loves his mable run so much that he is getting another one for Christmas this year. Board games and puzzles are also a hit here. Ds likes getting quality art supplies as gifts, as well as books.

Can you recommend a nice, quality marble run? I'm lost on those.

Playmobil.

once we started getting that, my kids never played with anything else for the next six years.

Don't go crazy with this till you know they like it. I bought my kids some and they never touch it.....even though they usually play with anything and are not fussy.

The favourite around here that is played with daily by all three is Duplo. None of my kids like the regular Lego ...they like to build big and quick and solid. The little lego breaks apart too easily when they want to build stuffed animal homes or garages for matchbox cars or paddocks for My

Little Ponies. This morning they built cakes and opened a bakery lol.

We love Playmobil here, too, but it goes in waves.

I really wanted to suggest the Haba Ball Track - I think someone above suggested it as well. That is a great, great toy, and will last forever. Haba toys are excellent.

Keva planks are fabulous, also.

We have a collection of marble runs - all are great. Oh, and one year we did the big domino run from Hearthsong. That's still fun.

Tape and random items - huge hit here - but I've never been able to give those items as the main gift somehow. Some hang up of mine about gift giving. Tape makes a great stocking stuffer though!

I'd never heard of haba. What is a decent thing to start with? I don't want to break the bank but want to have enough so that it's fun, you know? I'd have 2-3 kids playing with it at any given moment. It looks pretty pricey, any sales or sites to recommend?

When I was considering Playmobil last year, I saw a bunch of playsets at Sams Club for $20 and went that route. I guess I couldn't justify the Playmobil buy...still not sure. It's always a gamble with my kids. I really never know what they'll go for and they always end up surprising me. They are pretty creative, I'll give them that!

Can you recommend a nice, quality marble run? I'm lost on those.

The one we have is by Marbulous. It is plastic, but has a lot of pieces so you can build large structures. Ds plays with it almost every day and he has had it for a year.

http://toys.scholarschoice.ca/marbulous-marble-run-220-pcs.html

Because it has been so popular, the grandparents have decided to buy him a wooden marble set this year for Christmas/birthday. There are some really nice ones by Haba, Quadrilla, and Cuboro. I think we are getting the Cuboro set.

http://cuboro.ch/en/Info/Products/cuboro_marble_track_system

Since he likes trains, would he possibly like cars with a race track?

YES! My 5 year old is recently into "team hotwheels". He is also very interest in knights. So, I am considering Playmobil knight stuff (although the reviews on the smaller castle were horrible, said it falls apart easily?) and some sort of racetrack.

So, I went on the hotwheels website and was quickly overwhelmed with the choices. Am I better off getting a bunch of track and letting him create his own (as he does with Thomas trains) OR are the sets super cool? Which ones especially do your children like? I want it to be his big present, either that or the knight stuff. Thanks for talking me through this!

The one we have is by Marbulous. It is plastic, but has a lot of pieces so you can build large structures. Ds plays with it almost every day and he has had it for a year.

http://toys.scholarschoice.ca/marbulous-marble-run-220-pcs.html

Because it has been so popular, the grandparents have decided to buy him a wooden marble set this year for Christmas/birthday. There are some really nice ones by Haba, Quadrilla, and Cuboro. I think we are getting the Cuboro set.

http://cuboro.ch/en/Info/Products/cuboro_marble_track_system

I read some reviews about this one being wobbly, not a wide enough base, etc. Did you find this to be true? It seems like a good value for the number of pieces. I'm curious which one you will prefer, plastic or wooden. I generally go for wood, but this might be a safe bet until I know they like it.

I read some reviews about this one being wobbly, not a wide enough base, etc. Did you find this to be true? It seems like a good value for the number of pieces. I'm curious which one you will prefer, plastic or wooden. I generally go for wood, but this might be a safe bet until I know they like it.

The Marbulous set that we have comes with at least 6 base pieces, so if you want a large structure you can spread it out so it can be well supported. Sometimes ds' structures topple, but he has learned better building techniques to prevent that most of the time. There are a few little connector pieces that have broken over time, but all of the main pipes and ramps are in perfect condition. I would buy the set again for sure.

I had debated originally buying a Quadrilla, but figured the price of the Marbulous for the number of pieces you get was too hard to pass up for something I wasn't sure would be such a hit. I also liked that it had a staircase, a bell, several turning wheels, etc. as standard pieces. It will be interesting to see Ds' response to the Cuboro set. It is really a different concept than all the other marble runs as it is more of a puzzle to build. A lot of the time the marble travels within the blocks, so it looks much trickier to assemble.

YES! My 5 year old is recently into "team hotwheels". He is also very interest in knights. So, I am considering Playmobil knight stuff (although the reviews on the smaller castle were horrible, said it falls apart easily?) and some sort of racetrack.

So, I went on the hotwheels website and was quickly overwhelmed with the choices. Am I better off getting a bunch of track and letting him create his own (as he does with Thomas trains) OR are the sets super cool? Which ones especially do your children like? I want it to be his big present, either that or the knight stuff. Thanks for talking me through this!

My boys (who played with their Thomas trains constantly when younger), still love their matchbox/hotwheels. However, most of the track has been a waste here. They fall apart and sort of limit things. Basically, they sit. Maybe we just didn't buy the right things. This is the one exception here http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Wheels-4-Lane-Raceway/dp/B000JSI63G It's fun and relatively sturdy. But it's pricey and we get a lot more play, and more imaginative play, building roadways, cities for the cars to drive through, parking garages, and similar with the magnatiles. We do have a lot of them though and they are also pricey. They do this sort of play nearly every day.  Maybe, for less expensive but still imaginative fun, think of something like painters tape for making roadways if you have hard floors. Tape is always fun. My boys do make street signs, buildings and similar out of their regular blocks sometimes--but only really play with them  in conjunction with the cars and magnatile roads.

If your son is like mine, a box of 20 cars (like this or the hotwheels version) will feel like a huge gift.