Menu

Dehydrated chicken??? Please help, chicken people-*****UPDATE OMG She's better!!!!

Halcyon

I woke up this morning to find my most favorite chicken (I know, I shouldn't have favorites) lying on the floor of the run, all floppy. Neck was floppy and she couldn't hold it up. All the other 11 chickens were fine.

I took her out, gave her molasses/electrolyte solution, and some yogurt which she ate. It has been 2 hours and she is looking slightly better, but still flopped down on the dog crate (I isolated her). Her poop is bright green (sorry!) and she is cooing when I pick her up. She can't stand.

Is this dehydration? It was VERY hot yesterday, and her water, when I returned from work, was dirty (of course I changed it). And like I said, the other girls are fine.

Or is this something worse? If it IS dehydration, how long til I can expect to see improvement? Right now she is isolated, in the garage with the door open and the fan on. I have a damp towel under her to keep her cool. Every 10 minutes I dip her beak in the water solution and she drinks a bit. 

Help! Is Gracie going to make it?

ETA: Update in Post 29!!!

Sounds like you're doing all you can do.

If I remember correctly from your other posts, these chickens are new/young, right?

One thing to rule out is whether she's got a busted egg stuck in her.   This is usually an issue with really old chickens (like 5+ years old;  my 9 year old chicken still lays --- RARELY...but I've seen her do it) because their eggshells get so frail/thin.     On occasion my oldie gets a busted egg at her cloaca.   I have to take her out and lather her butt up with Dial soap and spray her off (I know......but she's my favorite girl....although, knowing me...I'd do this for any of them if I saw the need).       If they get the busted egg thing it CAN cause infection, but  with your girls being so young, I just don't know if this is it.    

Has she started laying?  

If she's JUST starting to lay, then this(clogged cloaca) may be possible as their inner workings are new/nacent and their eggs are immature (that's why their first eggs can be ittybitty) and the shells could be more frail than they'll get with maturity.

Rule that out, and other than that....who knows.  

Snake bite?    Does her neck/anywhere look swollen like she's been bit?

Chickens are frail but the best you can do is what you're doing and rule out infection.   If infection (bacterial) which isn't likely, then she'll need antibiotics.

Also, check her feet to see if she has "bumble foot" (swollen foot usually with some splinter/cut under it with pus oozing)  === this is also usually a problem for older (obese) chickens like my favorite oldie (this kept happening to her so we lowered her roasting pole to like 6 inches off the ground so she wouldn't hop down and injure it); she's always been "portly".

If she's drinking that's a really good sign.    If it was heat exhaustion / stroke, she'll need to be pampered for MANY days to fully recover (if she does at all).

I assume they have access to plenty of shade in your hot climate.

Hope she heals soon,

Alia

P.S.      At your local Farm Supply, they may have a product called Quick Chik which will likely REALLY help her.    Here's what it is:

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/quik_chik.html

I'm sorry. :(

It could be so many things. You've gotten good suggestions so far, and I think you're doing all you can. Is she paralyzed? Wings out to the side, legs splayed or one leg back/one leg forward? If so, it could be Marek's disease. Did the birds come from a hatchery or a private breeder?

I have determined she has botulism. She has every single symptom. :( They say if the bird can survive for 48 hours they might make it. So I am keeping her in the dining room in the dog crate, keeping her cool and comfortable, giving her electrolytes through a dropper every hour and a yogurt oatmeal mash that she likes. Her body is still paralyzed (it's called limp paralysis or something like that, and can include her eyes and eventually her respiratory system if it gets deadly) but she is pooping and eating. 

I guess I will say a prayer that my favorite girl makes it through the night. Luckily, I don't think she is suffering, except perhaps psychologically :(

Oh, poor little Gracie. She's so cute. I hope she pulls through.

I have to admit though, when I read the title of this post, I wasn't sure if you were asking for help with 1) a sick chicken or 2) a chicken mummy or 3) a "is this safe to eat?" post. On these boards, it could be any of the three!

Thanks for all the posts. She is the same this morning, maybe 5% better as her eyes easily open now (no paralysis there). Her neck is still very floppy as are her wings. I hand feed her every hour and give her the electrolyte sugar solution every 40 minutes or so, just a few drops. I am worried that she simply cannot move and has zero muscle tone. This is typical of botulism poisoning, but how long can this go on. It can't be pleasant for her to not be able to move! I do move her position every so often, and pet her a lot, which she loves. She is still not cooing much, and this is my vocal girl.

I just don't know. But she survived the night, so that's good, right?

I hope your chicken improves. I was drawn to the thread because we had the miserable task of returning on of our three chickens today as it turned out to be a rooster (not allowed in our area). We got a replacement and the other two are being very rough on her and we all feel terrible - ugh, these were supposed to be egg-machines, not another set of children to worry about!

One of our chickens presented with the same symptoms and behavior last year. We isolated her, made her as comfortable as possible, administered water by dropper, and waited. She started to make a turn for the *better* after about a week.  She was still unable to stand, but eating and drinking on her own. Eventually, we could stand her up, only to have her fall over. Finally, she could stand for a while, but was still wobbly.  It took about 3 months for her to recover enough to be reunited with the other chickens--who really wanted to take this opportunity to reestablish a new pecking order and were relentless on attacking her :( . She survived.

We still have no idea what she had, but she's fine now!  I hope you see improvement with your girl!

I've been through this with one of my hens, and like you I thought it was most likely botulism.  Apparently they can contract it from compost... and as vigilant as I've been about trying to keep them out of mine, they still manage to find a way in!   Mine survived but she did have a bit of a rough recovery.  I'm sorry about your girl; I'll be hoping for the best.

One of our chickens presented with the same symptoms and behavior last year. We isolated her, made her as comfortable as possible, administered water by dropper, and waited. She started to make a turn for the *better* after about a week. She was still unable to stand, but eating and drinking on her own. Eventually, we could stand her up, only to have her fall over. Finally, she could stand for a while, but was still wobbly. It took about 3 months for her to recover enough to be reunited with the other chickens--who really wanted to take this opportunity to reestablish a new pecking order and were relentless on attacking her :( . She survived.

We still have no idea what she had, but she's fine now! I hope you see improvement with your girl!

I bet it was botulism. Thanks for giving me hope!

Really?!?!?  Standing, holding up her head, feathers down, all the way better?

That's amazing!     I've been really pulling for her, and I can honestly say I've never felt an emotional attachment to a chicken before.

Woo hoo!

Yes! I am shocked! She truly is a sweetie--she's following me around and wants to be petted. Even the dogs are licking her.

I've been keeping up with her...so glad to hear she's on the mend.    YAY!    I'd keep pampering her for the next 10 days or so lest she relapses.   Perhaps keep her isolated for some time too as chickens tend to notice and peck on weak members.   

What a good chicken Momma you are to have nursed her back to health! 

Really?!?!? Standing, holding up her head, feathers down, all the way better?

That's amazing! I've been really pulling for her, and I can honestly say I've never felt an emotional attachment to a chicken before.

Woo hoo!

I'm so glad she's better, too. I wish I could attach to animals like that, especially since my baby days are over.

Thanks Alia-she is actually pretty much top dog in the coop--and we have two waterers, but I really need to change them twice a day, not once. I don't think it was dehydration though, I think it was botulism. 

Anyway, nobody is picking on her in the coop, so that's good--I guess she wasnt gone long enough to have to re-establish a pecking order. 

Yay for Gracie! She looks like a whole new bird. Dang, I really want a pet chicken now.

Seriously, although I always respected chickens, I never thought I would get emotionally attached to them when we got them last March!  And their personalities are so unique it's ridiculous. Gracie is definitely closest to me, and when i try and pet other chickens she pecks them jealously. Trying to train that out of her lol. 

Wow, when I first saw your post title, I thought it was a cooking question or possibly about a mummy project. I'm glad she is doing well. We have a buff Orpington and she's a real sweety. We did have a chicken "pass on" last summer when it was over 100 degrees for several days (and I was out of the country, so not keeping a third eye on the girls).