Menu

Already getting calls from the school ...

My3girls

We had our 3 girls in public school through last year. Last year was especially rough concerning our dd8, and we have decided that we are done with PS and are keeping the girls home. I sent an email to the principal and vice principal letting them know. Today I get a call from the 3rd grade IEP teacher. I was on the phone so she left a voicemail. I'm dropping off a copy of our formal declaration of intent that was supplied to the state at the elementary and middle schools tomorrow. I am not required to inform them or withdraw. I'm just doing it as a courtesy and so they WON'T call looking for the girls. I'm tempted to just ignore the voicemail as I really don't want to deal with any of them asking why, trying to convince me to bring them back, or just hearing the judgement in their tone of voice. The school is very academically lacking, and I'm just tired of them trying to placate me. My dd11 who is in the gifted program scored a 49% on the Math Mammoth grade 5 placement test if that gives you any indication. How can she have passed 5th grade with straight A's and be placed in advanced math in the 6th grade and not be able to multiply fractions? Oh so frustrated! How do I make them go away without causing Ruckus?

You don't have to explain anything. If it were me, I would email them to say your dc are not enrolling in that school this year, and could they please let the teachers know so that they don't have to bother with trying to get in touch with you. You know, to save them time and effort.

I'm not in the "only do what's legally required camp." I have no problem with being courteous and explaining what we're doing. Probably makes someone's paper-pushing job a little easier. In our state I only have to file intent once when we start home schooling, yet our Education Service District sends a stamped postcard every summer for me to check off if we're still home schooling. I have no problem filling that out--it costs me nothing to let them know and we suffer no repercussions. I'm also confident in our decisions and would have no problem having conversations about why we're following the path we're following should any district person be interested. As a former high school math teacher with a masters in education, they're not going to intimidate me and I love talking education--bring it on!

I hope by "I'm dropping it off" you really mean you are putting it in the mail. I wouldn't go to the building. I might call the board of education homeschooling representative and explain that you are getting calls and are wondering if the school has been informed of your decision.

I'm not in the "only do what's legally required camp." I have no problem with being courteous and explaining what we're doing. Probably makes someone's paper-pushing job a little easier. In our state I only have to file intent once when we start home schooling, yet our Education Service District sends a stamped postcard every summer for me to check off if we're still home schooling. I have no problem filling that out--it costs me nothing to let them know and we suffer no repercussions. I'm also confident in our decisions and would have no problem having conversations about why we're following the path we're following should any district person be interested. As a former high school math teacher with a masters in education, they're not going to intimidate me and I love talking education--bring it on!

So you literally have to file ONE piece of paper?

Do you know what people who live in a high reg state have to do? It's more than enough paperwork times however many kids you have. I feel no compunction to make someone's paid employment easier by me doing what is not legally required.

ETA: I don't mean this to be snippy...picturing me saying it with a smile!

They may stop calling though if you give them an answer. A great piece of advice: Your answer doesn't require a reason or excuse no matter the situation. "No, our girls will not be attending your school, please mark that in your records and stop calling. This is not up for discussion." Hang up. If they really don't stop calling, call the sheriff's dept. and report harassing phone calls.

Most advice I have seen says to send all communication via certified mail so that you have a record of complying with all that is legally mandated. 

The problem with complying with requests that are not legally required is not about whether or not you are intimidated.  It is more about the fact that when you give them things that are not required, it emboldens the officials to ask for more of everyone.  The proverbial camel's nose in the tent. 

Ok, you all are making me feel better. Lol. I'm so non-confrontational, and just the thought of having to deal with them was giving me knots in my stomach! When I say last year was rough, it was really really rough; and I guess I'm just afraid of a continuation of that.

Unsinkable, I have read some posts about reporting in other states, and I have to say the one thing GA Dept. of Education has going for them is that they have reduced homeschooling reporting to one on-line form that lists students name and age to be submitted annually before September 1 or within 30 days of beginning homeschooling. So technically, I am early. We are required to teach 5 subjects for an equivalent of 4.5 hrs a day 180 days a year and to do standardized testing every 3 years beginning at the end of 3rd grade. We keep the records, though. I guess that's for auditing purposes or if we want to go back to PS?

KungFuPanda, yes, I was gonna go drop it off. Maybe, I will mail it... Hmmm...

Do you know what people who live in a high reg state have to do? It's more than enough paperwork times however many kids you have. I feel no compunction to make someone's paid employment easier by me doing what is not legally required.

Oregon is pretty easy. One letter of intent when you start home schooling (one for each child, so kid 3 years younger than first kid means another letter when she starts). Take one of several acceptable tests in math and English in grades 3, 5, 8, 10. I've never had a negative experience with anyone regarding our choice to home school. And I have my special needs child in public school and my older dd has taken band and science in the public school the last couple of years, so I have one foot in that world. Every public school or district employee that I have encountered has been very respectful--makes it easier to be respectful back.

The problem with complying with requests that are not legally required is not about whether or not you are intimidated.  It is more about the fact that when you give them things that are not required, it emboldens the officials to ask for more of everyone.  The proverbial camel's nose in the tent.

:iagree:

In our state, we have to give the age of our child but the school district sends out a NOI form each year with a place for their birthday.  I cross it out every year and write in their age.  I'm not giving an inch because I don't want them to take a mile given the opportunity.  Our state is a high reg. state in most every way so I'm not going to assume all will be easy peasy in the future.  I'm not going to make it any easier for them to put more homeschool regulations place.

ETA: I don't mean this to be snippy...picturing me saying it with a smile!

Since my kids never attended PS, I have never had to file anything....not even one piece of paper....(runs and hides)

Although the law in your state might not require you to formally withdraw your children, it's a good idea to do so. And it's preferable to do it in writing, not by e-mail, as in "Dear Sir: I am withdrawing Daisy and Petunia from Doolittle Neighborhood School effective immediately. [Optional: request children's records, or at least, photocopies of the records.] Thank you." You mail it certified, with a signed receipt, so you have proof not only that you sent it but that someone received it. Doing so helps ward off annoying phone calls or contacts by truant officers. Even if truant officers still show up, you have proof that you notified the school so they can bug off.

If you were withdrawing your dc to enroll them in a private school, the private school would request their records; I see no reason not to do the same thing when you begin homeschooling.

Most advice I have seen says to send all communication via certified mail so that you have a record of complying with all that is legally mandated. 

I don't recommend informing the school by certified mail so that there is proof of complying with all that is legally required. I recommend notifying the school so that the school won't think the dc are truant when they just stop showing up. The schools don't necessarily receive any sort of notification from whichever government agency oversees homeschoolers, and they are obligated to investigate when they think there could be truancy. A letter lets them know they don't need to bother; sending it certified proves that.

I do think that returning, for example, the post card that NC's Division of Non Public Education sends out each year is a bad idea. The law only requires parents to do a one-time notification that they're going to homeschool, not an annual confirmation that they're continuing. That people happily mail in that little card only encourages DNPE to do other things, like tell parents to show up at local police departments to have their curriculum and their children inspected. o_0

Is it possible you're assuming the worst?  A few weeks after I withdrew my boys from school, I got a call from the teacher who would have been youngest DS's second grade teacher.  She'd also had oldest DS in her class and I had been a frequent volunteer, so we were well acquainted.  She just called to confirm what she'd heard via the grapevine was true, to wish us luck on our journey and to tell me how much she'd miss us.  It was all very supportive.  But on the whole we all had a very good relationship with the teachers and the entire school staff.  I guess my point is that communication from schools isn't always hostile.

The calls might just be a general thing they do for all children in the school district. I see no "intent" other then your child is on a list and they call. My children have never attended PS in Iowa or any other state but I get calls for everything from the school starting an hour later due to snow to letting me know there is a ice cream social coming up. If a teacher calls up (just had this happen) to let me know she is the 3rd grade teacher and would like to set up a parent teacher child confrence I just politely let her know we are homeschooling. She apologized for bothering me and that was that. No agenda to sway me or look down at my choice.

OP is there a reason you feel these calls are going to be confrontational? Just because you dropped papers off at the school does not mean the teacher has any idea what is happening. She has a list of students, probably created before your paperwork was dropped off, and she is going down the list.

do standardized testing every 3 years beginning at the end of 3rd grade. We keep the records, though. I guess that's for auditing purposes or if we want to go back to PS?

I'm in GA. When I put my kids back in elementary school, the school had no desire to see any records of mine including the standardized testing. They insisted on testing my kids to make sure the placement of age appropriate grade level was accurate. Of course my kids passed but it was annoying. Then when I registered my dd15 for 9th grade public school, they simply took her without looking at any of my stuff or testing her.

Yes, GA has made homeschooling easy. We don't even have to submit attendance anymore. If it makes you feel better, mail the intent form to the school but technically you don't owe them anything. Once you tell them you're homeschooling, they'll stop calling. When I first pulled my son out, back in 2001, the school tried to intimidate me into thinking I was doing something wrong but I knew the homeschool law and I don't think they did. I walked out of there with my head held high and never heard from them again. Don't sweat it. If you want to take the calls, just sound upbeat and say you've filed notice with the GA DOE and will be keeping your kids home this year, but thanks for calling and have a super great day. It will be fine.

Since it's a special ed teacher, I'd cut her some slack. If your DD is on her formal list as of the end of last year, chances are high that she's supposed to contact all the parents on the list, and even if your DD is down as "transferred" in the main office, it doesn't mean that it has made it to individual teachers yet. She probably was just going down the list on automatic pilot, not even really registering names.

And in my former school district, one reason why the special ed teachers, especially, did this was that half their kids would no longer be assigned to that school in the fall (mobility in that school was over 75% in a 12 month period, due to the fact that the area had a lot of cheap rental housing that could be had without a lease) and they wanted to know who they could actually expect on the first day (and to make room on the schedule for all the kids who, when their records arrived, were discovered to have an IEP and need services.

I would just let the school know what's up. No need to assume malicious intent. If they had a kid enrolled there last year, it's only natural to assume the child is re-enrolling. Although you may have informed the principal or vice principal, that does not mean the news trickled down to individual teachers. Heck, it doesn't even mean the administrators read your email! I also know in some states, they just want to know where the kids are enrolled for accountability reasons, whether the student transferred to another school or is homeschooling. It's just for information purposes, not to judge. Homeschooling is a valid option. 

The first year that I homeschooled, I received calls from the school for the first week. I had notified the superintendent in July, but apparently the local school hadn't been notified. My child was still on their student list and the attendance secretary has to make contact with the parents of all missing children. The first couple of days I let the calls go to the answering machine, but one day my dh picked it up, informed them that we were homeschooling and had sent in our paperwork and we never heard from them again. Someone was just doing their job.

One more thing ... I don't know about the laws in your state, but, in my state, if your child has an IEP, they are legally mandated to offer services until you inform them in writing that you don't want them.  It was not about them trying to stick their nose in your business and be suspicious of homeschooling, but about protecting the child's right to services specified in the IEP. 

My kids have never been in school, but my son was receiving Speech and Language services from the local school.  After I got a better diagnosis privately and was getting private therapy for the processing issues, I kept him in the speech & language therapy for his supposed expressive language delays because I thought it couldn't hurt and it was only a block away.  I could watch my son walk into the school from the end of my driveway and watch him walk home.  When he was old enough for junior high, the services were transferred to the SLP at the junior high which was no longer walking distance.  I decided that the therapy he was getting wasn't beneficial enough to justify a bigger a disruption in our day.  I had to go over to the junior high to sign papers discontinuing his IEP services.  No fuss, no bother. 

Don't sweat it. If you want to take the calls, just sound upbeat and say you've filed notice with the GA DOE and will be keeping your kids home this year, but thanks for calling and have a super great day. It will be fine.

I agree with Night Elf, but if the school does keep calling, feel free to give HSLDA a call whether a member or not.  A lot of times they will give the school a call to remind them what the law really says.  (While I don't love HSLDA, they are often helpful in dealing with a pushy school.)

KungFuPanda, yes, I was gonna go drop it off. Maybe, I will mail it... Hmmm...

Mail it certified, return receipt - especially if you don't like confrontation. 

I have no problem with confrontation when warranted.  Last year, about this time, I was trying to get my dd into the local elementary school's PE & Music program.  They hired a new principal, and she is definitely not "homeschool" friendly.  She didn't answer my requests (x2).  I gave her a month to comply, then I called the superintendent of schools explaining my rights and asked if he could facilitate the matter.  I got an email from the principal the next day.

You can absolutely stand up for your rights and be firm, but polite.