Menu

Nook was erased by B&N. All books deleted. What's the best device on the market? I want to switch.

Harriet Vane

My Nook was erased by a software update from Barnes and Noble. I had a TON of downloaded public domain books from Project Gutenberg and am incensed that ALL OF THEM were deleted. B&N did restore those titles that had been bought from B&N but other than that really don't care about all of the other books they deleted. With no warning. I spent hours on the phone trying to work this out and they just.don't.care.

Folks, I am a former English major and I teach literature--there were tons and tons of books deleted, and it would take days and days to download again.

If they had come into my house and taken the books off my shelf (as they have done electronically) that would be theft.

I would like to switch. I think B&N is a sinking ship anyway and I am ready to jump off based on this. What are my options? Kindle? Ipad? Other?

Help.

Edited to add another question:

Thanks for the feedback.

Why is there such a risk of losing everything? I get updates on my computer for my security software, Java, Adobe readers, Firefox, etc. AT&T just updated email and rolled over everything to an entirely new format--I have never lost data in these updates over many years. Is it really that hard to update electronic reading devices without destroying content?

Personally, if I have a book I want to be sure I keep, I have a hard copy. Ebooks are only good as long as the software is there. I've got old papers and files still on some 5 1/4 floppies somewhere in the closet. Storage matters!

That said, I like my kindle touch and I'm happy with ds's kindle paperwhite. I've also got the kindle ap on the iPad.

I don't see amazon going anywhere in upcoming years and I expect they'll support the kindle for quite a while. But....anything you want to be sure you have....get the hard copy.

Sorry for your frustration with the nook. I'd be absolutely fuming.

There are ways to back up the kindle so you could store your Gutenberg downloads on your computer as a backup and if something like this happened, you can restore.

I have both the Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire HD.  I LOVE them both.  No problems with either. 

I got the Kindle Fire HD for Christmas last year, so I've basically given the Kindle Touch to my dd and dh.  I have my dd use it for reading for school.  I have a TON of free classics and pre-1923 books on it which I downloaded from www.booksshouldbefree.com (I like this site much better than Gutenburg), Google Books, and Amazon.  I also have all the Yesterday's Classics books on both of them.  I purchased those for $50 when on sale.  That purchase has been one of the best things I've done with regard to ebooks! Not to mention Amazon offers a TON of books and their customer service has been fantastic for us.

There are ways to back up the kindle so you could store your Gutenberg downloads on your computer as a backup and if something like this happened, you can restore.

I BELIEVE that you can read kindle books on any computer when you download their free software (like an app), so you don't even have to have a physical kindle.

I have a kindle fire and really enjoy it. I suppose there would be the same risk as B & N, except I don't think Amazon is a sinking ship, and I do believe this technology will be around with Amazon en masse for a while. Some of our local schools, in an effort to save on textbooks and offer more variety for the kids in terms of literature, are buying them kindles. If they lose or damage them, they have to replace them out of their own funds or vie for the two physical copies of the book that will be kept in the school library.

Math and science texts will still be physical. It's too hard for them to do the math work from such a small screen, and for science, they are worried about illustrations, diagrams, and photos having odd formatting, but for English, Literature, and History, they think this will be great. I can see some positives since I've got all kinds of great books for 99 cents or sometimes even free on my kindle...Theodore Roosevelt's autobiography, and the like. Shakespeare, you name it. It could, if used properly, allow the teachers and students to have access to a much wider array of literature and primary source documents at a fraction of the cost of paper copies. We'll see if that happens. My local school district is not known for actually implementing good ideas and seems to make a hash of them!

But, based on the fact that there are many school districts like my local one who are going to this technology for the students, I think Amazon's Kindle and ebooks will be around for a long time and thus, they'll have a reason to provide adequate support services for their customers because it is probably going to be a cash cow for them.

Faith

Like others, I would go with the Kindle.  However, anything in digital format you run the risk of losing...you have to back everything up.  Something similar happened with my iphone.  A couple of years ago, an update totally wiped everything on my phone.  I was frustrated, and even grumbled about Apple...but in the end I realized that is the risk of using digital media, and it is my responsibility to make sure it is all backed up.   Even if you switch devices/companies...you are going to have to make sure everything is backed up onto your computer. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Why is there such a risk of losing everything? I get updates on my computer for my security software, Java, Adobe readers, Firefox, etc. AT&T just updated email and rolled over everything to an entirely new format--I have never lost data in these updates over many years. Is it really that hard to update electronic reading devices without destroying content?

It's always a good idea to back up your books. Devices can be stolen, lost, be subject to software glitches, etc. Services like Dropbox and Google Drive are your friends, but if that's too much you can just as easily email them to yourself. :) Local backups on your computer are good too.

Have you tried the XDA forums for advice on how to restore what was lost? That's where I found out how to root my Nook tablet (and avoid the software updates.) I'm sure you're not the only person who's had this issue!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1394

The link is for the Nook tablet, but there are other areas of the forum for the Color, etc., depending on what you have.

I am not familiar with Nook, but with Kindle, everything that I've downloaded is in the cloud, so if it's deleted from the device - I thought we could download it again?  Not sure if the Nook is different, or I have that wrong about the Kindle.

No problems with Amazon so far here, but again - it's probably all about backing everything up.

Love our Kindles, by the way.  I have a Paperwhite, because I prefer the iPad for everything but books.  That said, though, we have the app on the iPads & iPhones.  Love that I can read a book on my phone while waiting in an office, and it syncs to the last page read on the Paperwhite or iPad.  :)  DS prefers to read on the iPad, and DH reads on the iPad mini - which is more the size of a Kindle.  But I still prefer the Paperwhite.  

Actually, the math and science is migrating to iPad and laptops and they are getting rid of physical books. The profit margin is much larger.  I work in the educational publishing industry and the print book is on its way out. It will take a few years, but it will happen. I am working on a high school math book that is online only through IE with special plug-ins. The demand is there from the school districts for this format as many think it will become a BYOD society (Bring Your Own Device to school or work) and schools and companies will no longer provide machinery for employees.

I have a kindle fire and really enjoy it. I suppose there would be the same risk as B & N, except I don't think Amazon is a sinking ship, and I do believe this technology will be around with Amazon en masse for a while. Some of our local schools, in an effort to save on textbooks and offer more variety for the kids in terms of literature, are buying them kindles. If they lose or damage them, they have to replace them out of their own funds or vie for the two physical copies of the book that will be kept in the school library.

Math and science texts will still be physical. It's too hard for them to do the math work from such a small screen, and for science, they are worried about illustrations, diagrams, and photos having odd formatting, but for English, Literature, and History, they think this will be great. I can see some positives since I've got all kinds of great books for 99 cents or sometimes even free on my kindle...Theodore Roosevelt's autobiography, and the like. Shakespeare, you name it. It could, if used properly, allow the teachers and students to have access to a much wider array of literature and primary source documents at a fraction of the cost of paper copies. We'll see if that happens. My local school district is not known for actually implementing good ideas and seems to make a hash of them!

But, based on the fact that there are many school districts like my local one who are going to this technology for the students, I think Amazon's Kindle and ebooks will be around for a long time and thus, they'll have a reason to provide adequate support services for their customers because it is probably going to be a cash cow for them.

Faith

Which nook? tablet? color? hd? Just curious I have a nook tablet and so far, nothing has happened.

Anyways, with anything you download, I would always keep a backup. Dropbox would be an idea. If I wanted something other than a nook (right now I want an HD) I would get a galaxy tab or nexus.

Anytime you have a proprietary device (amazon, B&n, apple) there is always a chance that the company will update and delete everything that is not from them. Some might have a choice to not allow automatic updates, not sure though.

Or you can get an ereader that does not have wifi so it can't be updated (or just keep wifi off). My kids have these and nothing can be done unless connected to the computer: 

OMG!!! I am so sorry about your Nook!!! That is just awful!! :angry:

I read books on a regular cheapie Kindle, a Kindle Fire, and my iPads. The Fire is my least favorite for reading, because of the glare. I get some glare on the iPads, too, but I do like the larger size for reading certain types of books, particularly those with any kind of illustrations or diagrams. (I don't have the large sized Fire, so I don't have an opinion on that.) I also have a Samsung Galaxy Note, but I don't think it would be that great for a lot of reading. I'm not sure why, though -- I just don't like it as much as my other devices.

Which nook? tablet? color? hd? Just curious I have a nook tablet and so far, nothing has happened.

Anyways, with anything you download, I would always keep a backup. Dropbox would be an idea. If I wanted something other than a nook (right now I want an HD) I would get a galaxy tab or nexus.

Anytime you have a proprietary device (amazon, B&n, apple) there is always a chance that the company will update and delete everything that is not from them. Some might have a choice to not allow automatic updates, not sure though.

Or you can get an ereader that does not have wifi so it can't be updated (or just keep wifi off). My kids have these and nothing can be done unless connected to the computer: 

It's a first edition Nook. It's not that old though.

It happened with an automatic software update.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm so sorry and outraged for you :rant: !

I also think the nook is a sinking ship, but I still prefer reading on mine.

We've got Kindle Fires here and Ipads; they love them; I will have to switch eventually.   Dd & ds use the Ipads all the time, and dh uses the Kindle at work because he would have a heart attack if he lost it or had it stolen. 

Another vote for the Kindle here!  I've got the plain and simple one, with the adds.  I only wanted it for reading, and still only want it for reading so it suits my needs.  I have RA pain in my hands and I LOVE LOVE LOVE being able to read big fat books again!

~coffee~

I have a Nook, an iPad, and a cheapie Kindle. The nook is my least favorite, and I haven't used it since I got the iPad. The Kindle is a very new purchase, and I went with it because of the ability to use the Kindle Prime lending library. I appreciate the lack of glare, but the trade off is not being able to read in the dark. I need to get a light for it.

Honestly, though, if you have liked your Nook up until this point, keep using it. Make sure that you root it, though. I never used any of the B&N books and apps on my Nook. In fact, I downloaded the Kindle app to the Nook. It's not that hard to root it, usually, and gives so much freedom. ALways, always, always back up your digital copies.

As for your question about why there is a risk for losing everything with an upgrade: THEY DON"T CARE. There is no incentive for them to create software updates that preserve the free stuff you have placed on your device. None. Why would there be? As for likening it to theft? The bad news is that according to digital copyright laws, you don't own any of the digital books anyways. Doesn't matter if they are free or if you paid for them. Amazon or B&N or Apple or whoever you purchased the book through, can come in and yank it off your device. This is why I always run my Amazon books through Calibre software, and remove the DRM. I can keep a backup on my hard drive this way. It's a PITA, but worth it for my peace of mind. I find the laws regarding digital copyright completely mind boggling.

Amazon is super awesome, IMHO. I love their kindles and the support. Kindles are fragile, so be careful with them. I have destroyed several screens via carelessness.

I use kindle app on my iPad, too, so that my kids can use our two kindles. For reading, I like the Paperwhite. If you want video, etc, personally, I just use my iPad along with the kindle app. I get the simple kindles because they have super long battery life and do NOT have the other junk. The last thing I need is for my kids to be doing their school reading on a device that has YouTube and games on it, lol. So, I get the simple kindles, the Paperwhite being the most recent one i bought.

I love that I can buy one copy of a book on kindle and have it on several devices at the same time. Right now, my two teens and I are reading a current Econ book, Naked Economics, together for summer reading prior to AP Econ. I paid for it once, and all three of us have our own copies, can highlight them, etc. I use it on my iPad while they use the kindles.

With Amazon, everything is essentially backed up on your account on-line.

Nothing is 100% awesome I'm sure. So far I have not had any issues with Amazon though.

Only what you have bought through Amazon would be backed up on your account. Anything gotten from other sites (Guttenberg) would need to be backed up on your computer.

Ps. Regarding Amazon support, I have never dealt with a better company when it comes to support. I have killed at least four kindles through carelessness over the past four or five years. I have owned at least seven, currently own two, and have only paid for three, so I have only paid for one of the at least four, probably five, replacement kindles. In at least two cases, I dropped them not in a case and onto hard surfaces, cracking them. In at least two other cases, their screen went wonky after probably having been squished under heavy luggage, despite being in a case. When I call or 'chat' and tell Amazon what stupid thing I did, they eagerly and happily send a completely free replacement with one day free shipping, and free return shipping on the one I killed. They do this if it is within the one year warranty or even a few months after warranty expiration. When I recently killed one that was two or three years past warranty, they still gave me a screaming deal on a discounted refurb kindle in the newer model of my choice. ($80 for a new Paperwhite) and the new one has its own new full warranty.

Anyhow, Amazon's customer service rocks IMHO.

Only what you have bought through Amazon would be backed up on your account. Anything gotten from other sites (Guttenberg) would need to be backed up on your computer.

Exactly, the Kindle works the same way. Software can be glitchy. I'm pretty sure we've seen similar complaints from people with Kindles here on the forum. I have a Nook Color, dd has a Nook Simple. I use Calibre to back them up because I don't trust any e-book providers 100% after the Kindle 1984 incident. 

I just thought I would mention, the paperwhite is the kindle with the lit e-ink screen. Fires are the tablets with color. All the other kindles need a light to be able to read them in the dark. Just thought I would clarify that since a pp mentioned they didnt like the kindle because they couldnt read it in the dark. Amazon changed that with the paperwhite.

Exactly, the Kindle works the same way. Software can be glitchy. I'm pretty sure we've seen similar complaints from people with Kindles here on the forum. I have a Nook Color, dd has a Nook Simple. I use Calibre to back them up because I don't trust any e-book providers 100% after the Kindle 1984 incident. 

The other nice thing about using Calibre is that you're not tied to using a Nook or a Kindle. I prefer platform independence. 

The bad news is that according to digital copyright laws, you don't own any of the digital books anyways. Doesn't matter if they are free or if you paid for them. Amazon or B&N or Apple or whoever you purchased the book through, can come in and yank it off your device. This is why I always run my Amazon books through Calibre software, and remove the DRM. I can keep a backup on my hard drive this way. It's a PITA, but worth it for my peace of mind. I find the laws regarding digital copyright completely mind boggling.

Out of curiosity, is this legal? If you don't actually own digital books, and they can be pulled from your device (at the discretion of the copyright holder, presumably?), is it legal to possess a back-up copy when and if that happens?

No judgment on my part, just curious.

Out of curiosity, is this legal? If you don't actually own digital books, and they can be pulled from your device (at the discretion of the copyright holder, presumably?), is it legal to possess a back-up copy when and if that happens?

I really don't think the digital copyright laws are sophisticated enough yet to answer that question.

I really don't think the digital copyright laws are sophisticated enough yet to answer that question.

I guess that is part of the problem. I said no judgment (when I usually have lots of judgment for lawbreaking, LOL) because I think it is ridiculous that you can pay good money for a book/service and have it disappear. (Also why I still buy 99% hard copies...)

So what exactly happened with your Nook?  I have a Simple Touch but usually leave the wi-fi on airplane mode.  Will the software automatically update the next time I go online?

I have both a Nook and Kindle and between the two, I prefer the Nook. 

Re e-readers in general, I don't know that any digital software is better or more secure than any other.  I've heard complaints about Amazon going in and purposefully revoking digital licences and erasing books they had already sold (not freebies).  So even if you have something saved in a cloud, it can still disappear.

B&N updated the software to minic android and installed Google chrome, play and alot of other stuff.  At least they did for the tablets. I don't know if they did anything with Simple Touch since you don't have internet.  If you have a lot of books sideloaded from different sources, you need to make sure they are backed up on your computer or to a cloud.

I agree. Of course the publishers would say "no" but it's one of those things that will have to be challenged in court and sorted out over time.

Like some of the others here, I have a regular eink kindle. I buy ebooks from amazon, bn, kobo, and download from the library and free sites like Gutenberg. Almost everything (not library books) I choose to download to my laptop and store a backup using Calibre. If it's an amazon book, I also have it sent directly to the kindle. I have the special-not-endorsed-by-calibre plugins that remove the DRM from the books, and once a book is opened in calibre, I'm free to convert it to my format of choice and send it to my kindle. That means if bn has a sale I can buy a book there and still read it on my kindle. I'm not interested in pirating books. I acquire all my content legally. But once I've paid for something I want to be able to use it on my device of choice and have a backup in case something goes wrong with my device. Calibre keeps all my backups in Dropbox and so they are synced on my laptop and our family computer, plus the Dropbox cloud.

I like calibre because I can save books from all sources, paid and free. It doesn't care where the content comes from, it just keeps it organized. Using calibre this way means that it doesn't matter if I have a kindle or a nook, the content can be converted to whichever ereader I own. Calibre is open source and peope are constantly working on it. That means, hopefully, that as formats change, I'll be able to convert my books and won't lose what I've paid for or downloaded as new ereaders come out. Right now it seems like this is the best way to prevent things from becoming obsolete or lost.

Anytime I want a book from my "library," I can just have calibre send it directly to my kindle through email or I can transfer it via USB cord. If I wanted to buy one of my kids a no-name cheap ereader, I could share any books that I have bought with them.

If you have any questions about setting something like this up, let me know.

For those of you advising everyone to "back up" their e-books, what exactly do you mean by that?  Do you mean downloading books to various devices other than the propriatary one?  For instance, I can access my Nook books through both my Nook device and the Nook app on my PC; so the recommendation is that I download every purchase to both?  Or that I back up the files to an external jump drive or some such?

(forgive me if this is a really stupid question, but I am digitally challenged)

I download a program called Calibre. I loaded all of my ebooks into that program on my PC. It's just a matter of plugging in your device and dragging them from your device into the Calibre folder. It's really easy to use.

For those of you advising everyone to "back up" their e-books, what exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean downloading books to various devices other than the propriatary one? For instance, I can access my Nook books through both my Nook device and the Nook app on my PC; so the recommendation is that I download every purchase to both? Or that I back up the files to an external jump drive or some such?

(forgive me if this is a really stupid question, but I am digitally challenged)

I guess there are different "levels" of backing up.

At the most basic, you could download a book to both your nook and your nook for pc. Then if your nook was lost AND bn went out of business (meaning you couldn't download the book directly onto a new nook), you would still be able to read your book on the computer.

You could also go to your bn account and tell it you want to transfer a book you own to your nook via USB. Then save that file on your computer (you can still put it on your nook or have it directly sent to your nook since this is your backup copy). If bn decided that a book violated some rule or law and deleted them through wifi from all nooks, you would still have a copy on your computer that you could re-transfer to your nook.

If you have one of these ebook files on your computer, you can just keep it safe. But then if you ever decided you wanted to transfer one of these ebook files to another device, you would need to remove the DRM (digital rights management, which ties the book to your particular device). That's where a more sophisticated setup would come in.

Are you sure the loss was accidental?

I have a Nook, an iPad, and a cheapie Kindle. The nook is my least favorite, and I haven't used it since I got the iPad. The Kindle is a very new purchase, and I went with it because of the ability to use the Kindle Prime lending library. I appreciate the lack of glare, but the trade off is not being able to read in the dark. I need to get a light for it.

Honestly, though, if you have liked your Nook up until this point, keep using it. Make sure that you root it, though. I never used any of the B&N books and apps on my Nook. In fact, I downloaded the Kindle app to the Nook. It's not that hard to root it, usually, and gives so much freedom. ALways, always, always back up your digital copies.

As for your question about why there is a risk for losing everything with an upgrade: THEY DON"T CARE. There is no incentive for them to create software updates that preserve the free stuff you have placed on your device. None. Why would there be? As for likening it to theft? The bad news is that according to digital copyright laws, you don't own any of the digital books anyways. Doesn't matter if they are free or if you paid for them. Amazon or B&N or Apple or whoever you purchased the book through, can come in and yank it off your device. This is why I always run my Amazon books through Calibre software, and remove the DRM. I can keep a backup on my hard drive this way. It's a PITA, but worth it for my peace of mind. I find the laws regarding digital copyright completely mind boggling.

Oh my goodness! I didn't know I could do that with Calibre.  How do you do that?  

I agree, The laws for digital copywrite are ridiculous.  I have no intention of giving the books I purchase away, but I should own the books.  And the publishers need to realize that it doesn't matter (all their efforts to protect their digital copywrite).  I know you can bit torrent the books if you want.  I never have, and I won't, but really, if they don't change some of their policies soon, they will find themselves in the same position as the music industry.  

Oh my goodness! I didn't know I could do that with Calibre.  How do you do that?  

If you want to strip the DRM, then you have to install an add-on which is neither written nor endorsed by Calibre. If you search de-DRM Calibre Nook/Kindle (whichever you need), then you should come up with the answers you need.

Honestly, I'm not sure. Probably a "gray" area, at best. It's not something that I recommend, but it is an available option.

I agree, The laws for digital copywrite are ridiculous.  I have no intention of giving the books I purchase away, but I should own the books.  And the publishers need to realize that it doesn't matter (all their efforts to protect their digital copywrite).  I know you can bit torrent the books if you want.  I never have, and I won't, but really, if they don't change some of their policies soon, they will find themselves in the same position as the music industry.

I don't really remember how I set it up. I'm sure Google helped me out, lol. I know that I had a bit of a panic when I started hearing about Amazon going in and closing accounts, with no recourse for the account owners. I have a few hundred kindle books :/ That's when I started looking into the options available to manage digital files. I'm not sure how they can justify the copyright laws on digital products. I can buy a dvd, watch a dvd, then sell the dvd. Same with a CD or a book. Why does the product being digital mean that suddenly I have no rights to that product? It makes no sense...

I backup my Kindle simply by connecting the Kindle to my PC via USB and copying the folder all the books are stored in ON the Kindle to my computer (although someone mentioned Dropbox, etc. which is an even better idea). That way, if there is a problem (which I had once due to a hack I was trying to remove), I can simply copy the folder back onto the Kindle and have all my books AND my collections intact (organizing the books into collections can take hours - don't want to lose those).

Also, if you email a file directly to your kindle a backup of the file will be stored on the Kindle's cloud storage alongside the books you purchased directly from Amazon.

Honestly, I'm not sure. Probably a "gray" area, at best. It's not something that I recommend, but it is an available option.

But it's something I don't find the least bit "grey" in a moral sense. I've paid for it. I'm not distributing it. That's my end of the bargain.

Thanks from me also, for the info about Calibre.

BTW I did a bit of reading about the Kindle today (after seeing this thread) and I learnt that we can lend our Kindle books to other Amazon users for 14 days!