Menu

portfolio was not approved!

Due to "lack of evidence in the areas of physical education and health". :sad:

I guess I will need to make sure we do an occasional worksheet this year so that I have some "evidence". We read through a Health text which was indicated in my portfolio, but I did not have Doodle do worksheets or tests. How does one provide evidence of physical education? I printed off pictures of him swimming. He was in karate until last December, but I have no "evidence" of that since he did not have any belt tests in that time frame. My portfolio indicated that he was taking karate twice a week.

I feel so defeated right now...

We got dinged in those areas this year too. I started keeping an activity log. For health we got harcourt health workbooks.

I submitted weekly lists of what we did, so his physical activity was listed. Perhaps what they really want more of is the health stuff. I will have to call tomorrow. I will definitely make sure we do more busy work worksheets for next year, but right now I am trying to figure out what is going to appease them for the year we just finished. I don't even have the health text anymore. I gave it to another mom on this forum.

Are you in Pennsylvania? If so, you don't have to teach health or P.E. every year, only some time between K-6.  Most school districts, however, really don't know the law. This is the time to educate them about it.

Yes, I am in PA. I did not know they were not required every year. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm in Maryland. My first reviewer didn't accept any of my evidence. Even receipts from gymnastics or my log. I had nothing the second time around except for my schedule and the reviewer checked off sufficient evidence. It really can come down to who you get.

I've been homeschooling in PA for 20 years, and I've never submitted any evidence of PE or Health.  Your portfolio only needs "samples of any writings, worksheets, workbooks or creative materials used or developed by the student."  It does not need a sample for every subject taught. The law does not say anything about providing "evidence" of PE or Health (or any subject, really), just samples of work your student may have produced during the year.  I often only have a reading list for some subjects as most of my evaluation is done by discussion.  Do you perhaps have a new superintendent (or designated home education contact)?

Ugh!!!! Are you still by me? I was trying to search my messages to see if we were in the same district, but I'm coming up empty. I still haven't received my letter. I'm not a fan of my super.

No, we were only living in your area for 7 months while house hunting.

I've been homeschooling in PA for 20 years, and I've never submitted any evidence of PE or Health.  Your portfolio only needs "samples of any writings, worksheets, workbooks or creative materials used or developed by the student."  It does not need a sample for every subject taught. The law does not say anything about providing "evidence" of PE or Health (or any subject, really), just samples of work your student may have produced during the year.  I often only have a reading list for some subjects as most of my evaluation is done by discussion.  Do you perhaps have a new superintendent (or designated home education contact)?

This is a new superintendent.

I looked up the law and came to the same conclusions. I submitted plenty of evidence. I have decided to resubmit the exact same evidence. I submitted 36 weekly charts which I made "contemporaneously" with my instruction. I literally fill the weekly chart in as we school each and every day.  Each school day lists the title of the books we used as well as the pages/chapters covered. I feel that adequately covers what the law states.

I don't know about your state, but where we live, the kids have to take tests in Physical Education at the public and private schools. I thought this was odd and talked to some of my friends who have kids in public and private schools. They said that this is a requirement. The tests are on rules for various types of sports and all. It's all hogwash if you ask me. I think the act of doing sports (your son taking simming and karate) is much more important than him knowing the rules of all the different sports (If I remember correctly, my friend said that they had to know the rules for baseball, football, hockey, soccer, basketball, and volleyball). She said that her daughter, who isn't good at sports, got a better grade in PE than her son, who is very athletic, because she tested better on the rules. It caused a bit of drama in their house.

I'm sorry you're going through this.

The only subject required every single year in PA is fire safety. Have you been to askpauline.com for a breakdown of PA law?

Each school district interprets the law different ways. I think askpauline.com tells you ways to deal issues like yours. I found a page on her site about it, but I didn't read the whole thing. Here it is: http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/hs/homeschooldueprocess.html

ETA: whoops. I posted before I read that another person already said this and that you already have a plan.

I'm in Maryland. My first reviewer didn't accept any of my evidence. Even receipts from gymnastics or my log. I had nothing the second time around except for my schedule and the reviewer checked off sufficient evidence. It really can come down to who you get.

Wow. What kind of "evidence" would a reviewer like that accept? What do you do when he/she doesn't?

You have submitted more than enough. I'm also in PA, and have never submitted anything more than what you submitted. It might help to enclose a copy of the law to them; not to be confrontational, but to educate them. Does your district starts with the letter "B", because there's a district by me who gives homeschooling families a VERY hard time.

Nan

Yes, I am in PA. I did not know they were not required every year. Thanks for the heads up.

Nope, not required every year, and I'm sorry your SD needs an education. How annoying for you! I would talk to your evaluator too and see what she/he says.

(This does make me feel better about pulling a few random worksheets from the internet every year on various health/safety topics and saying, "here, kids, I know this is mindless, but do it for the portfolio and get it done," just to keep my SD off my back.)

The only subject required every single year in PA is fire safety. Have you been to askpauline.com for a breakdown of PA law?

Which, IMHO, is ridiculous also. Not fire safety, just that it is a yearly requirement. We are now going into 6th grade and I'm over finding dumb worksheets on the internet for my boys to fill out for fire safety! Sorry for the vent, obviously it struck a nerve;P

Which, IMHO, is ridiculous also. Not fire safety, just that it is a yearly requirement. We are now going into 6th grade and I'm over finding dumb worksheets on the internet for my boys to fill out for fire safety! Sorry for the vent, obviously it struck a nerve;P

I know! And how about we need to teach spelling and reading but never any grammar? And we have to teach physiology. Why physiology specifically? It's all so bizarre.

Anyone heard any more news about the law changing so that school districts don't need to review the portfolio anymoree?

I will definitely make sure we do more busy work worksheets for next year

I wouldn't recommend that. I would recommend that your child write a paper or do a project/poster presentation of what he learned in health. Don't substitute busywork for actual learning and skills development.

I called this morning and talked to someone in the superintendent's office. She was very nice and helpful. She pulled my portfolio and I explained to her where the information was concerning health and phy ed. She had no trouble finding it. She is going to mark it and have the superintendent look at it. It seems the portfolios are initially looked at by a group of 5 administrator's who use a checklist to see if the portfolios meet requirements. I'm not sure how one could miss those two subjects since they are list on the same paper with every other subject. I will get a call if the superintendent does not approve the portfolio. I hope there are no more issues. I worried myself sick over the letter.

You have submitted more than enough. I'm also in PA, and have never submitted anything more than what you submitted. It might help to enclose a copy of the law to them; not to be confrontational, but to educate them. Does your district starts with the letter "B", because there's a district by me who gives homeschooling families a VERY hard time.

Nan

Nope, not a "B". I am not sure what the reputation is of my district. I do not know any other local homeschoolers and this is the first year reporting for me.

I wouldn't recommend that. I would recommend that your child write a paper or do a project/poster presentation of what he learned in health. Don't substitute busywork for actual learning and skills development.

You are absolutely right. Now that I feel more confident that I have already done what is required by law, I do not feel the need for worksheets just for show.

I toss a page in the portfolio that has a quick rundown of things that might not be obvious from the work samples. I think this year it had a paragraph that basically said that health studies were incorporated into daily life as dd continued to learn about nutrition, dental hygiene, and disease prevention through discussion and practical activities. I will probably copy and paste that into portfolios every year.

I used to plan an official sport of the month. We read a couple books and went over the rules of the game. We did a few practice drill type activities. Sometimes we watched a documentary or game. Maybe read a biography. Colored a picture.

I've found that even in the same town and same evaluator, different families will have different experiences. I was always let off easier, beause by youngest was "gifted" and "LD" and they didn't want him in school even if they didn't think I was qualified. They played "don't ask don't tell with me" and seldom returned my phone calls even when I was trying to hand in paperwork. For years I didn't even file at all, and just held onto paperwork in case they contacted me.

At the same time, the schoolboard went into a private school, and confiscated all records of homeschoolers under their cover school and brought over 100 families to court in a class action suit. They put those same families through hell, requiring all sorts of things from them that they didn't legally have the right to.

That stinks, but I think you were smart to check with school SI.

Different state here, but we had to log the hours and lessons and send them in with receipts of out sourced classes for credit. (Piano, swimming etc.) I also had my student write up a goals sheet at the beginning of the year and complete an end of the year self evaluation; then do a short essay for classes that were difficult to document like music and PE.

Did they send you a letter initially informing you that your portfolio was inadequate? If they did, then I would be inclined to want wrriten confirmation of acceptance of your portfolio I think. However, I would check askpauline first. Also, I think I recall hearing in the past that the PA Dept of Ed Homeschool liason has been helpful in the past when school districts overstepped their bounds when it came to the homeschool law.

This is one reason why I have DD do PE at the local elementary school (she does music there also to make it worth the trip).  In addition, she participates in To-Shin Do, a martial arts program, once a week.  Due to what you said about your experience, I'll make sure I get the instructors to sign off on something from now on though.

For Health this last year, we did the BrainPop movies, worksheets, activities, & quizzes.  Of course we maintain a paid subscription to BP.  For $99/yr, it's the only paid subscription we do and it has paid for itself in spades!  BrainPop has quite a large section devoted to Health.  We concentrated on Personal Health and Nutrition this last year, which covered 26 topics - all with activity worksheets, quizzes, and some experiments included. You could also do Health on www.kidshealth.org.  That's a free site which is wonderful as a health curriculum if you don't want to pay for BrainPop, but it doesn't offer any worksheets or quizzes you could use as "proof" of completing a course.  I suppose you could make up your own if you had the time and inclination.

This is what is so wrong the the PA homeschool law - too much room for misinterpretation. Why do we have to submit a portfolio to the school district when we also submit an evaluator's letter? :huh:  It should be one or the other. I wish we could just do testing. :glare:

Are you sure? I had a friend who just listed that her kids were on a soccer team for PE and a few other things were just listed on paper, she had to come back in 30 days. They said pictures were Ok.

I'm not in MD, but so many of our friends are.  Yes, I'm sure.  There's nothing in COMAR to dictate specific evidence like that.  You just have to show continuous instruction.  Sure, photos can do that, but so can a list of books or activities or example work or a narrative description or whatever evidence the parent wants to show.  The review process is very uneven there (as it apparently is in PA).  The reviewers don't know the law.

By the way, this reminds me of the thread awhile ago about whether there was some way to have a more open ended process of evaluating homeschoolers to make sure we were doing something for our kids.  Complete BS like this (pardon my abbreviated French) - which is too common in MD, PA and other states with review policies - shows me constantly that there's no way to create a system that doesn't just encourage busy work or waste everyone's time, not to mention the government's money.

I'm not in MD, but so many of our friends are. Yes, I'm sure. There's nothing in COMAR to dictate specific evidence like that. You just have to show continuous instruction. Sure, photos can do that, but so can a list of books or activities or example work or a narrative description or whatever evidence the parent wants to show. The review process is very uneven there (as it apparently is in PA). The reviewers don't know the law.

Proof, like is being discussed here, is not necessary for any subject in any state. You word is enough. Photos and outside signatures are overkill. Again, your word is enough.

Proof, like is being discussed here, is not necessary for any subject in any state. You word is enough. Photos and outside signatures are overkill. Again, your word is enough.

Well, the MD law requires that you keep a portfolio of materials that is reviewed. So in that case, actual evidence of some sort is required, though the portfolio could just be your own lists of activities and books and, so that, by extension, is basically your word.

When you turn in things like copies of all receipts for things you bought or you turn in pictures of your kids, you are giving them more than the law allows them to ask for, but because someone somewhere along the line may have turned it in, then districts start to think they should expect it from everyone.

This.

As I read through this thread I noticed some things that make some districts expect more than is required from everyone.

When you turn in things like copies of all receipts for things you bought or you turn in pictures of your kids, you are giving them more than the law allows them to ask for, but because someone somewhere along the line may have turned it in, then districts start to think they should expect it from everyone.

What I keep for myself as a portfolio.. pretty things, pictures, pamphlets of where we went, copies of art work, etc. is totally different than the very basic things I turn into the district.

Our super has recently changed I believe... OP, your district isn't Danville is it?

No, I am not near Danville.

So, do you simply list titles of books you've used? If I am reading the law correctly, this is all that is required.