Menu

Cheapest price you remember for Better Binders at Staples?

The 1" Better Binders are on sale this week and next week for $5.99 with a binder trade in.   Then there is a $5 off $30 coupon both weeks as well.     I bought Better Binders last year during the Back to School season with a similiar deal, the trade in and coupon...but for the life of me, can't remember the sales pricing.  Anyone remember or know if $5.99 is probably the lowest they'd go?  Did they get any cheaper closer to August?  

Oh mercy, they usually go lower, at least as I remember.  Are you sure that's actually a sale price?  At ours they're not on sale and that's the regular price.  And dude, I didn't take a coupon with me!  Oh well, can't win.  Don't forget to get a teacher card there too!  They'll give you that discount AND the deal pass AND the coupon!  But as for the binders, I waited.  They should drop.  I did get a couple of the bitty binders on clearance in green and yellow for $2...

I thought last year the sale was 2 for $10, 2 for $12, 2 for $14, etc depending on the size. So the 1 inch would have been 2 for $10 (without a trade in) if I am correct. I don't think the Staples ad this year seems that impressive. I could be wrong but it didn't make me want to rush out and spend money this year. I got a whole pile of stuff last year, including the binders for about $60. Just not seeing it this year. :huh:

Our staples does the trade in at any time as well, so that doesn't really make it a "sale". If you have additional coupons though it might be worth it. I am very happy with the binders. I love all the colors on my shelves. :laugh:

Over the summer I had a coupon for 30% off Better Binders which I combined with an ugly old binder so instead of $8 plus tax, it cost $4.55 total. I have two more ugly binders to get rid of, so I hope another sale or coupon comes out. The school supply discount card would give an additional 15% off, too.

OhElizabeth, what is the teacher's card discount? I have one but don't think it has ever done anything to lower my total.

Sounds like I need to wait a few weeks and see what rolls around.  As someone was right, the $5.99 price isn't a "sale" since it's based on the trade-in-binder program, which goes on all the time....tricky advertising by Staples :(.

How does the trade-in deal work? I just take some old binders to the service desk and they'll give me a discount on new binders? Do they have to be the same brand I'm buying or can they be any old binder?

Not even the service desk, the regular cashier takes care of while you are checking out.  Any binder, brand, condition, color, no matter :)!

I don't mean to hijack but what is it about these binders that make them worth $5 when I can get binders at Costco for $1.33 a piece?  Are they really that amazing?

That's what I want to know too.

OhElizabeth, what is the teacher's card discount? I have one but don't think it has ever done anything to lower my total.

I don't mean to hijack but what is it about these binders that make them worth $5 when I can get binders at Costco for $1.33 a piece?  Are they really that amazing?

Sorry, brain blip.  The teacher's card doesn't get you a discount, just the % back at the end of the quarter in rewards.  Remember you can do copying and binding there too, adding to your reward.

And yes, the Better Binders are MUCH better than regular binders.  Very sturdy plastic with gripper edges.  You can flip the cover around and stand them up, and they'll survive a year of use like that without even showing it.  The rings inside are better too, opening with a gentle push button.  

You can make do with anything, obviously, but if you can get a hold of the BB and want to plunk out for them, they are nice.

Some of those $1.33 binders you have to replace each year since they fall apart. I also know that even the big binder I bought at Target was hard to open and close all the time, the things never lined up correctly and when you turned the pages the paper got stuck in the rings all the time!

These binders that I bought last year don't even show a bit of wear and tear on them, they work effortlessly and I love the colors. So, imo they are worth the money since I don't have to buy new one's each year. :thumbup1:

I thought last year the sale was 2 for $10, 2 for $12, 2 for $14, etc depending on the size. So the 1 inch would have been 2 for $10 (without a trade in) if I am correct. I don't think the Staples ad this year seems that impressive. I could be wrong but it didn't make me want to rush out and spend money this year. I got a whole pile of stuff last year, including the binders for about $60. Just not seeing it this year. :huh:

Our staples does the trade in at any time as well, so that doesn't really make it a "sale". If you have additional coupons though it might be worth it. I am very happy with the binders. I love all the colors on my shelves. :laugh:

This was the sale I remember as well.  I used the trade in and replaced all of my binders.  A little pricey but they are worth it.  I also got some on clearance in September/October with cute prints. 

I was a newbie to them last year too, and asked myself what the big deal is. Got a handful and love them!!! They are made of a high quality material, and the "seams" are a rubber like. Cheap binders are plastic covered cardboard that rip at the seams. I know cuz I've had them rip and the cardboard is exposed.

The rings open with a little button that even my 7 year old can open. Cheaper rings can be very hard to open.

Overall, they just look, feel, and work better. It's like why drive a BMW when you have a Ford? Both get you to the same place. But oh man, the ride, the feel, the luxury of the BMW....only something you know once you've driven one, lol. Metaphor folks, no, I don't have a BMW, though my DH does work there :)

Sorry, brain blip.  The teacher's card doesn't get you a discount, just the % back at the end of the quarter in rewards.  Remember you can do copying and binding there too, adding to your reward.

Thanks, I just didn't want to miss out on something!

And I agree that the added cost is worth it in the long run. They are just so much nicer to use and I don't like replacing the less expensive kind so I am replacing a few each year. The binder you turn in for credit doesn't have to be in good shape either. :)

On a HSing Facebook group, someone posted close up pictures of their schooling area.  Right away, I spotted her row of Better Binders...and called them out in love.   She responded that she'd had them for four years, and still as good as shape as ever!  

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a video on the store website ( true sign of a homeschool mom...binder videos, LOL ).

Do all of the Better Binders come with the removable file ring? That's the part that looks neat to me.  It'd be so easy to unclip the year's school work, file it, and add another file ring.

This is our second year schooling with these binders and my kids use them for their major subjects to store the ebooks in them that we printed, so they use them on a daily basis. They still thank me for buying them, two years later. My 11 yo just a few days ago kept opening and closing them and thanking me for such an easy and cool binder! :laugh:

We apparently own one.... last year when DD2 started middle school, they bought the kids their school supplies. So, she got this 3" monstrosity that didn't fit in her backpack and was expected to cart it back and forth daily. She hated carrying both her backpack and the binder, but if she just used the binder the "stuff" would fall out that didn't go into the rings. And 3" is just too big (she was in a self-contained classroom and didn't move classes nor have a locker). 

I despise that binder, it was impractical. 

Oh, and it doesn't seem to open any better than any other 3" binders I have used!

I have binders that are at least 15 years old and still doing great. They were ones we bought at work and I got some when we closed. That said, we don't use binders here like a lot of people - so my opinion doesn't count. 

But that 3"? YUCK. 

Naw, I definitely bought mine early August. I remember several ways:

1. I'd go in there while DS was at football practice as it was just down the street. Football started Aug 1st and I had hours to kill every night until school started. Public School doesn't start until around Aug 20th in these parts (and I had ALL supplies I needed by that point...I didn't have to buy a single thing for DS14 when he started public school, which I was forever grateful since we didn't get a supply list prior to school starting for high school (and every class required a binder, I was stocked! :)....I'm in SC.

2. I bought the BBinders with other school supplies. I remember standing an absurdly long line with other back-to-school parents getting the deals, and talking to the mom in front of me.

They do clearance Better Binders now and again. I got them incredibly low do to a sale error that the manager honored and refused to correct. They had a sale where if you bought 3 Staples items you got 20% off excluding clearance items. Well I found clearance better binders for $3.50 -$4.50 and bought a ton. My total was WAY lower then the clearance price for some reason. My husband and I went back in to buy more. At home I discovered I was getting 20% off the original price. I called and talked to the manager offering to return them. I was told I could keep them. Close to a week later I discovered they had clearance left. I was happy with the regular clearance price but I again got the huge discount. The manager never fixed the discount error. I won't buy anything other then Better binders from now on. They are so durable, the rings stay closed and they feel heavy duty. I prefer the 1-2 inches sizes over the hugely, thick ones. Paper doesn't seem to fit as nicely in the really fat ones.

I haven't seen anyone mention the sales that I've used to purchase mine...

I've gotten mine for 30%, 40%, and even 50% off with coupons! I purchased mine be in the beginning of this year (not school year, calendar year) and I noticed they alternated the percentage off every week, or alternated between Avery or Better Binders. So if I needed another Better binder, I just waited until the following week when they were 40% off again, or whatever...

The rewards pay off as well, because I was able to use the coupon, plus my rewards coupon from other purchases and spent very little on the binders! Since it's school time again, I haven't seen any of the good coupons, but they have offered them throughout this year!

I watched a video on the store website ( true sign of a homeschool mom...binder videos, LOL ).

Do all of the Better Binders come with the removable file ring? That's the part that looks neat to me. It'd be so easy to unclip the year's school work, file it, and add another file ring.

I believe that's a new feature. Ours don't have the removable file ring.

We apparently own one.... last year when DD2 started middle school, they bought the kids their school supplies. So, she got this 3" monstrosity that didn't fit in her backpack and was expected to cart it back and forth daily. She hated carrying both her backpack and the binder, but if she just used the binder the "stuff" would fall out that didn't go into the rings. And 3" is just too big (she was in a self-contained classroom and didn't move classes nor have a locker). 

I despise that binder, it was impractical. 

Oh, and it doesn't seem to open any better than any other 3" binders I have used!

I have binders that are at least 15 years old and still doing great. They were ones we bought at work and I got some when we closed. That said, we don't use binders here like a lot of people - so my opinion doesn't count. 

But that 3"? YUCK.

When my kid's teacher asked for 3" inch binders, I asked if two 1 1/2" binders or three 1" binders could used instead with the idea that he would only take one of them to school and the rest at home. The teacher said yes.

When my kid's teacher asked for 3" inch binders, I asked if two 1 1/2" binders or three 1" binders could used instead with the idea that he would only take one of them to school and the rest at home. The teacher said yes.

That would have made more sense - but the school bought them the 3" ones! It is nuts, I'll have to ask a friend what they are doing this year. They also didn't get their "supplies" until a few weeks into the year. Practical.... just like the 3" binders.

I have no clue what I will do with this thing..... :p

• 2 weeks later...