Menu

I have always assumed that CC used in the Chat forum means Christian content. When it's used elsewhere on the board it's usually easy to figure out, as the first person who uses it in a thread almost always spells it out so that one knows if it's being used to refer to community college or common core or whatever.

I'm not against spelling it out, and I'm not disagreeing just to be disagreeable. It just doesn't seem to me to be all that hard to figure out. So just throwing out another perspective.

The person who used it to mean conservative content was using it non-traditionally (for this board). Some have chastised her in the thread for using it incorrectly even. I'm not going to weigh in on that but am just saying that most of the time CC is used for Christian content when used to discuss content of any kind.

I have a question since this has come up. Why do people put CC on anything anyway? Is it because they only want feedback from a Christian perspective?

So people can avoid threads that are just going to make them angry.

I've always thought it meant Christian Content. The only other use I've seen is community college and then it's pretty obvious: "ds is finishing high school this year and has 2 dual enrollment cc classes." I suppose if it were used for common core, I might not know what the poster was talking about unless she/he wrote out "common core" in their first post. If I see CC in the title I immediately assume Christian Content. The purpose is so people who don't want to be bothered or who would be offended can just skip.

I've read it as "I am looking for advice from conservative Christians like myself".

I don't think there is anything wrong with that, by the way. For some topics ,you don't want JAWM but you also don't want to open yourself up to debate over the fundamental assumptions, either.

I think when a thread has CC in the title it usually means "Christian Content". I believe people are doing this, mostly, to warn those who aren't interested in Christian Content. Some people are offended, or not interested, or have bad experiences, or whatever, and I think it's a very good way to warn those who want to steer clear of it. It helps keep the peace. When you have posted more you will get used to all the short hand. I actually think we should add some more abbreviations, like KC for "kilt content", and CK for "cupcake kerfuffle". I want to be warned to stay away from the CK threads.... :lol: .

I've read it as "I am looking for advice from conservative Christians like myself".

That's what I always thought from the tone of threads marked with CC. Just like some threads are marked with RC for "Roman Catholic", EO for "Eastern Orthodox", or "liberal/progressive Christian" in the title when the OP wants one of those POV's.

IIRC, the practice of putting cc at the end of titles to posts with Christian content came about as a board etiquette consensu to let people know when the content was going to be specifically Christian (it was never labeled conservative Christian). It was a way to avoid offense to people who were annoyed by constantly opening threads that turned out to be Christian when they didn't want to feel bombarded by that (that part I recall clearly) and possibly also to signal that the poster would like discussion within that framework (I don't recall that as clearly). There were not always social groups, so this was a practice that was agreed on years ago.

I've noticed recently that the CC designation seems to now annoy some people or at least attract people who wish to debate the Christian framework of the discussion.

Since cc meaning Christian content is put only at the end of titles, that's a clear signal that that is what that abbreviation means. Except in this thread, it's unlikely to appear in the body of a post.

I've noticed recently that the CC designation seems to now annoy some people or at least attract people who wish to debate the Christian framework of the discussion.

My recollections are the same as yours.

I have seen what you mention in this quoted bit. I would suggest reporting some of those posts as proselytizing.

Recently I was reading a thread that I thought was about Classical Conversations. I got pretty far into it before I realised it was about community colleges. The thread made much more sense after I figured that out! But most of the time it's easy to figure out what the thread is referring to.

I have seen what you mention in this quoted bit. I would suggest reporting some of those posts as proselytizing.

:iagree:

Another old board fogie who remembers when the CC designation was born as "Christian content". Christian content, as people should know, covers a very wide range of doctrinal and denominational ground and is not limited to conservative Christians (which also covers a range - perhaps not so wide - of doctrinal and denominational ground).

:iagree:

Another old board fogie who remembers when the CC designation was born as "Christian content". Christian content, as people should know, covers a very wide range of doctrinal and denominational ground and is not limited to conservative Christians (which also covers a range - perhaps not so wide - of doctrinal and denominational ground).

IIRC, the practice of putting cc at the end of titles to posts with Christian content came about as a board etiquette consensu to let people know when the content was going to be specifically Christian (it was never labeled conservative Christian). It was a way to avoid offense to people who were annoyed by constantly opening threads that turned out to be Christian when they didn't want to feel bombarded by that (that part I recall clearly) and possibly also to signal that the poster would like discussion within that framework (I don't recall that as clearly). There were not always social groups, so this was a practice that was agreed on years ago.

Since cc meaning Christian content is put only at the end of titles, that's a clear signal that that is what that abbreviation means. Except in this thread, it's unlikely to appear in the body of a post.

Just stopping by to say that I love board history and the keepers of the history. Thanks so much for remembering all of this stuff for this group.

When I use it at the end of a thread title, I don't expect only Christians to respond. Many times, I look for the wisdom of others, too. For me, it does not describe the content I want to receive, but the content of my post. I just put it so others who don't want to read anything containing Christian ideas or perspective get a head's up.

I have often vented/complained/told fears/asked for prayers or good thoughts,esp re my family. I would be poorer for having missed the support of non-Christians here.

And in the bigger world we use context to determine if a/c means air conditioning or alternating current. It isn't that difficult to figure out most things using context. If not, then people here are more than happy to answer a question on what we're talking about.

Granted, a message board doesn't allow for body language, vocal tones, and things one gets from a conversation. Still, this seemed kind of dismissive. I agree with the OPs summation. Not all of us have been long standing readers or posters to simply and intuitively know that CC would generally mean Christian Content from first glance. Sure a person might eventually figure it out or could ask, but given how hospitable some threads are (or are notplatelet :p ), one might not feel comfortable or safe in asking.

Hover over the thread title and you'll be able to read enough to know whether you want to bother with the rest.

Which is great if you are on a PC. That ability doesn't work for one on an iPad (and I would assume an android tablet.)

• 73349 changed the title to .