Menu

Poor posture

Hot Lava Mama

Any advice on how to improve my ds14 poor posture, besides nagging to "stand up straight or sit up straight?" It makes him look insecure and sloppy. I don't know what else to do. We have talked about the impression it gives when he is slouchy, as well as how to properly stand and walk. We have even done the "book on the head" thing. No improvement. What else can I do?

Any wisdom to share?

Thanks!

Hot Lava Mama

I agree, he needs to strengthen his core and upper back. Before I started working out I had horrible posture and my shoulders rounded forward, now that I am fitter/stronger I naturally have much better posture without even trying.

Does he have forward head posture? Many kids, teens, and adults do today-sitting kind of slouchy, hunching over to text, use a laptop, etc. Even when they stand up, their shoulders come forward, their head is forward of where it should be, and it puts strain on the traps and other muscles of the shoulders and upper back.

I would make sure that his work stations are set up ergonomically. Encourage him to bring the laptop up to a good level so he isn't slumping over it. There are some gentle exercises he can do (gentle neck retractions, shoulder rolls, etc.) when sitting. It would be better to consult a professional.

Low muscle tone?

Weak core?

A consult with a PT might be useful in assessing where the postural issues are coming from, because there can be many causes-everything from a leg length discrepancy to a weak core or low muscle tone to forward head posture and beyond.

Thanks for the help. So, when you say "core", you mean basically the middle part of the body, right? I am guessing sit ups and push ups. What other kinds of things would be good? I'm not sure how to strengthen his back muscles. It seems like that is the "weak" part since he slumps. Are there any "back" exercises?

Thanks!

Hot Lava Mama

Thanks for the help. So, when you say "core", you mean basically the middle part of the body, right? I am guessing sit ups and push ups. What other kinds of things would be good? I'm not sure how to strengthen his back muscles. It seems like that is the "weak" part since he slumps. Are there any "back" exercises?

Thanks!

Hot Lava Mama

Think whole body movements too. Core also includes gluteal muscles, big muscles of the shoulder girdle, back, abs, etc. Clear it with your doctor, but if appropriate for his medical situation, box jumping, lunges, squats, planks, etc. are all good. Obviously he needs to use good form, which means learning to do the movements slowly and deliberately with good body mechanics until he internalizes those movements correctly. And when one becomes fatigued, it is easy to slip into using the wrong muscles or movement patterns, which can make the exercise ineffective or cause an injury., He should educate himself carefully using reputable sources (videos, books, etc.) that explain good body mechanics for those exercises, or get professional training on how to complete those movements safely and effectively.

You could also get him to sit on an exercise ball while he is doing his school work, and on a computer. Sitting on one engages his core muscles and encourages proper posture. "Your body, when positioned on top of an exercise ball, is constantly making small adjustments, often imperceptible, to remain balanced and thus is constantly exercising a large group of muscles in doing so. By strengthening your body's core muscle group you help improve your posture, have better balance and guard against back injuries." Read some more here.

I seem to recall that sit ups and crunches aren't really the best for core strength. Push ups and planks are better.

Pull ups really engage a lot of core muscles, too. You can put a pull up bar in a doorway.

Last week one of my kids was at a camp where they worked with aerial silks. Holy majoly, the teachers had amazing core strength. The woman had the most gorgeous posture I've ever seen, as a matter of fact.

I wonder if sitting on one of those large balls in lieu of a chair would help. Edited to add that IrishMum and I were posting at the same time.

ballet or martial arts. My son is 13 and has been a ballet dancer since he was 5. He has the posture of a prince. People stop him in the street to compliment him on his posture.

Martial arts will work just as well. Martial Arts are very similar to ballet in many aspects. For a while my son did both, but went with ballet.

Core is abs, back, glutes, etc.

Bribery.

Seriously, the only person I know who "improved" her kid's posture bribed said child with an iphone. (Another swimmer with a six-pack.)

I'm in no way too proud to bribe. I'll be happy to do it. What I want to know is how they approached it. Was it a matter of, "I'll give you a month to work on it and if I decide you've straightened up, you'll get an iphone?" or was it more of a planned approach?

HOW????

What? Where did Mr. BigEar Smiley go?

help him find a sport that requires abdominal muscles. running. yoga. horseback riding. are some. someone suggested MA - there are several styles, chances are good he'd like one of them. if the abdominals are good, you will stand up straight just as a matter of course.

help him find a sport that requires abdominal muscles. running. yoga. horseback riding. are some. someone suggested MA - there are several styles, chances are good he'd like one of them. if the abdominals are good, you will stand up straight just as a matter of course.

:iagree:

Things that require balance such as yoga, dance, martial arts, circus arts, horseback riding, skating, etc., will tend to develop core strength and encourage better posture. It's hard to balance from a slouched position. BTW, I'm not talking about "balance" as in "balance books on your head" -- you can balance books on your head while slouching around with crappy posture. I'm talking about keeping yourself from falling over, whether it's on a horse or posing on a single leg.

Possible bonus: A guy in dance or horseback riding will find it really easy to meet lots of girls. Dh often reflects that he wishes he would've caught on to that strategy when he was a teen (he was in martial arts, which was all guys at the time).

Dd13 points out that your ds should try to emulate Tom Hiddleston as Loki -- his grace and posture were amazing.

Right now I have lovely posture for the first time in my life. As long as I can remember, I have slouched, flopped and sat crooked.

The very expensive improvement in my posture came about because I developed bursitis in one shoulder and ended up doing PT for two months after the shoulder froze up. They twisted, massaged and gave me lots of exercises that worked miracles to get my shoulders to the same height and my neck back where it belonged. Very painful. Very costly. But I have use of my shoulder again.

I'm pretty sure two months of martial arts classes would be cheaper and do the same thing.......

Is it a true physical problem or just a habit? I read somewhere that to improve posture you should imagine a ring hanging in every doorway, and when you go through one you should stretch your neck up and grab the ring in your teeth. That leaves you with your neck extended comfortably, shoulders back, and a smile on your face. It helped around here. It gives you a much more confident appearance, and it feels a lot better, too!

Everything that they said :thumbup1: When my ds was 13, we went to a slightly unorthodox orthodontist (well, isn't that just the tongue-twister :lol: ) who told him it was very important that he stop slouching & "open up" his chest (i.e. put his shoulders back & chest forward). He showed him pictures of various sports people, mostly football players, who had this posture & explained that it was important for ds because it helped with breathing, which increased oxygen intake & would help his physical development. Worked like a charm, I tell you :hurray:

My thought is poor posture is due to poor core strength. Build the core the posture will improve. My dd's was so bad that her dance instructor constantly commented on teh curve of her spine (was checked by the dr, it was purely posture/strength related). Anyway, working on core strength at home is what helped her immensely. The book on head thing did help AFTER we spent months with crunches, pushups, pilates, yoga etc. Once the core was strengthed we did the book on head thing. In dance class they had the "I love dance" bum they had to have. Meaning tailbone tucked in, tummy and buttocks tight, muscles engaged. It made their bums shaped like a heart, relaxing those muscles, tilting tailbone back etc left with a wiggly bum. That sort of thing she takes into consideration even now outside of the studio. Any sport/exercise that engages those core muscles will improve the posture dramatically without even focusing on the posture as you begin

has he recently gone through a rapid growth spurt? I know my oldest grew really quickly He was terribly stooped. apparently the bones grow way faster then the ligaments so the ligaments can pull them down into a stooped position. My oldest has straightened up over the years, and now at 19 stands straight and tall.

If you're not sure, I would consider a scoliosis type of x-ray to check for kyphosis. I was on my dd's case forever and it turns out she has mild scoliosis and kyphosis. Core strengthening can help but only so much. It can come from being low tone and having lax ligaments.

Have you had him checked by his doctor? My dd18 has poor posture due to a hereditary curvature in her spine. She was found to have a 12% curve in her upper back - so no intervention. She is in amazing shape due to playing Div 2 soccer in college. In addition to playing soccer last fall, she has been working out (weight training, swimming, etc.). Yes her back is stronger but it has not really improved her posture. She is built like my dh, who has to fight it constantly. For them to stand up "straight" it actually is very tiring and is somewhat painful. Yes, I still pull back on her shoulders reminding her to "open up her chest". It is worse when she is tired.

I'm in no way too proud to bribe. I'll be happy to do it. What I want to know is how they approached it. Was it a matter of, "I'll give you a month to work on it and if I decide you've straightened up, you'll get an iphone?" or was it more of a planned approach?

I think it was three months but I have no idea how she quantified it.

You could ban him from upolstured furniture. I'm serious. If he sits on the ground, he is forced to support his body weight and improve his posture. Only cushy furniture allows people to sit for ages without moving AND without using muscles to stay upright. On the floor you constantly shift to stay comfortable and the muscles that support good posture NEED to be engaged. Perhaps he should study meditation. Those guys sit for hours. Not my idea of fun, but the odds that he'll be more interested in some sort martial art or meditation are greater than getting him in a dance class.

After several years of studying bellydance, my core muscles were better developed than ever and I actually gained 1 1/4 inch in height. Now, I wasn't out of shape before . . . I was in the Army and did competitive cheerleading as a teen. Still, working these core muscles improved upon what I 'thought' was good posture. It's healthy too. Well developed abs take so much stress off your back muscles.

Sometimes we even have dinner on the floor. I've got this great Korean floor table that we use fairly often. My son likes to do his schoolwork on it.

Horseback riding is good for core strength, if he might enjoy that. I was told to do things like lay on my tummy and lift my upper body only (I would hook my legs under the couch or left legs too--like superman), arms above head, behind head, etc. Ball work (lean over ball and lift up) can help. There are lots of things online I'm sure. I would have a scoliosis screen if that hasn't been done. I was assigned those exercises when I was dx'd with mild scoliosis.

It will be easier for him if you find an enjoyable activity that works the core. It can be hard to be consistent with just exercises, particularly at his age.