Menu

Can we have a celebration thread?

ErinE

I just got some crummy news, and I'm trying hard not to dwell on it. What do you have to celebrate? Expecting a baby? Going to be a grandparent? Your child read a chapter book?

Here's mine:

On her own, dd is reading and enjoying Magic Tree House. She swore just a few months ago that she hated reading.

DS#1 has really helped DH and me out these past weeks. He is growing into a sweet young man.

DS#2 was sleeping 7 hours. I'm hoping he gets over his runny nose soon so he can get back to sleeping at night.

My husband is awesome. He's a rock of strength when I just want to be a puddle of misery.

I'd love some good news. Please share!

I cannot figure out why I cannot return, when I am at this computer. ARG. Younger ds is happy . He swims and he is trying to talk more. I pick up dd from camp tomorrow, after almost 2 weeks (she got a partial scholarship to go). She just finished her first year of public high school in honors classes with amazing grades. I am starting to see positive sparks toward adult decisions from older ds. Dh is fantastic, I don't know why he puts up with me. I hope things come together soon for whatever caused your crummy news!

Almost finished with one of my biggest deadlines of the year. About to embark on a trip to India in less than 24 hours. My kids are enjoying their summer camps and just generally fun to be around - most of the time! ;) I got my car back from the fixit shop and managed to narrowly avoid my IRS quarterly tax check bouncing! Woo hoo! I discovered chiropractic and it's giving me a ton of much-needed energy/stamina. My sisters, nieces, daughters, and I are going camping together in a couple of weeks - that's a lot of sisters! My kids are learning to like math!! I guess I should stop now...

I paid off DS15's youth camp trip earlier in the week.

Walked a little over 3 miles last night with a 22 min/mile.

Signed up for 2x/week yoga classes that start tomorrow.

Weighed in today lower than I thought I was.

We're expecting a baby and just found out it's a girl so dwelling on name choices has been fun.

Dh-the-Professor got a grant for summer work. It was pretty small but just enough to really light a fire under him and he's having his most productive summer ever and really cranking out the scholarship. I love his field and it's really gratifying to see him "fulfill his potential" (said a bit tongue-in-cheek--not trying to be patronizing to dh!)

We are getting ready for our annual Huge Road Trip and I'm excited because I have no one nursing and no one in diapers.

Almost finished with one of my biggest deadlines of the year. About to embark on a trip to India in less than 24 hours. My kids are enjoying their summer camps and just generally fun to be around - most of the time! ;) I got my car back from the fixit shop and managed to narrowly avoid my IRS quarterly tax check bouncing! Woo hoo! I discovered chiropractic and it's giving me a ton of much-needed energy/stamina. My sisters, nieces, daughters, and I are going camping together in a couple of weeks - that's a lot of sisters! My kids are learning to like math!! I guess I should stop now...

Oh, wow! India in less than 24 hours!!!

Safe journeys and we'll expect a full report when you return! :lol:

Does the chiropractor help? My back is killing me and DH keeps telling me to find a chiropractor.

(((Erin)))

Aww, I'm sorry for your troubles.

Here's what's making me smile today:

I'm getting a bumper crop of strawberries! My 10 little plants I poked in the ground last year had lots of baby plants, which are all now producing like crazy.

A friend gives me all her (very recent) Smithsonian, Nat Geo, and Discover magazines. The latest stack just arrived, and my girl is already curled up on the couch with several.

Our dog makes us all smile. She's fairly lazy and kind of boring, but right now her love affair with Mr. Squeakers the toy hedgehog is making her a big ol' goof.

I found the magic to get dd to read (for every book she reads I have my ipod play a song she likes).

Two weeks until vacation! I know it doesn't sound like much but dh works M-F and I work F-Sunday plus every holiday. Neither of us is able to take much vacation time and during the week we only have a couple hours in the evening together. We are going to have 7 whole days together as a family. We are planning little day trips for M, W and Friday but spending the rest of the time together as a family. I am so excited!

I am also trying really hard right now to focus on the good that is happening rather than the bad and uncertain! Here are my good things: Our house sold in four showings, with very little effort on our part. I DON'T need a root canal. (The pain I was having turned out to be from grinding at night, probably due to stress, but easily corrected by wearing a plastic guard at night.) I am moving to a state with much more relaxed homeschool laws in one week! AND I am moving to an area where I may have a chance to meet some boardies IRL. How cool is that?

We're expecting a baby and just found out it's a girl so dwelling on name choices has been fun.

Dh-the-Professor got a grant for summer work. It was pretty small but just enough to really light a fire under him and he's having his most productive summer ever and really cranking out the scholarship. I love his field and it's really gratifying to see him "fulfill his potential" (said a bit tongue-in-cheek--not trying to be patronizing to dh!)

We are getting ready for our annual Huge Road Trip and I'm excited because I have no one nursing and no one in diapers.

Congratulations on the baby! Dd is requesting a baby sister. I keep telling her it's not like ordering at a drive through.

I am so sorry you are having bad news!

We found out that we are having a little girl due in October and I am super excited for all of the girly things- sewing, dresses, dolls, dollhouses, pink, etc.! After our three wonderful boys, it will be so much fun to do something different. I am having so much fun looking at lovely things on the internet. Now I just need to focus on laundry instead of sweet baby things, right?

Plus, I am eating homemade blackberry pie (with berries handpicked yesterday) with vanilla ice cream. Yum!

Today I am thankful for the silly "Banana Song" sung by the Despicable Me minions that we keep watching over and over on YouTube.

I am thankful that my neighbor was kind when I came to the door in my bathrobe at 10 am this morning.

I am thankful for peanut butter. (This is not as random as it seems - I'm on a very restrictive diet.)

We found out that we are having a little girl due in October and I am super excited for all of the girly things- sewing, dresses, dolls, dollhouses, pink, etc.! After our three wonderful boys, it will be so much fun to do something different. I am having so much fun looking at lovely things on the internet. Now I just need to focus on laundry instead of sweet baby things, right?

Congratulations! All little girls should come with a warning label: stay away from the clothing stores. Dd always has a room full of bows, ribbons, head bands, shoes, skirts, dresses, tights, boots, leggings, etc. I'm not a super-girly person, but she is the only girl on dh's side so aunts, grandmothers and great-grandmothers enjoy shopping for her.

Let's see, in random order:

Astro, despite still not loving to read and such, does an excellent job testing and scored high on his standardized tests for the year. :)

Link successfully completed baseball (after a rough start to the season) and enjoyed himself. It isn't my favorite sport, but I was glad to see him overcoming the obstacles he had at the beginning.

I found out at my consultation on Wednesday that I DO qualify for LASIK!!!!!! I scheduled it for September 26!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

I'm still working my backside off to make my way to Thailand for the trip with Compassion. We WILL make it happen. :)

I got signed up for the 5k I'm planning on in early September!!

Things to celebrate here:

DS17 did really really well on his latest SAT - good enough to qualify him for the highest level scholarship at his #1 choice college. And he has spent two days this week of hard physical labor helping another Scout with an Eagle Project.

My two girls (19 and 12) are in the living room practicing a saxophone duet. And it actually sounds good!

DS21comes home for break in just a few more weeks!

In no particular order:

Our garden is overflowing with tomatoes, strawberries, and blackberries at the moment.

Dd17, although graduated, is participating in her last FBLA National competition in California, got to go to Disneyland, and is having a blast. So glad she has this opportunity before heading to university in the fall.

We are anticipating our first grandbaby in late July/earlynAugust, courtesy of dd20.

Ds14 is having modest success with his fledgling lawn care business.

Ds7 is happy as can be every day, and his reading is coming along nicely.

I had the best bloodwork and physical I've had in a decade.

We're headed to the beach in just a few weeks.

I'm sure there's more, but those are the highlights. I hope your crummy news situation gets resolved soon.

My good things, in random order (to match my random life :) ) :

Even though Punk's evaluations showed a couple big things that are never going to go away, I learned everything I've been doing educationally is exactly what he needs. Score one for momma intuition.

We have blackberries, dispite the best efforts of the neighborhood rabbits.

The kids are excited about school starting back. (We have been on a break.) Bug has had me counting down the days all week.

I am less than 5 pounds from a major weight loss goal.

My kids brought me a copy of World War Z from the library.

DH is buying me supper so I don't have to cook.

Sister almost dived off the board at the pool today.

Ds19 (the introvert at college doing summer research) texted me to show me a picture of his ripped jeans from a hilarious tumble he took walking out of a movie. First of all, I am happy he texted me. I miss him. Second, a year ago, he would have been hugely embarrassed. Today, he is laughing and lamenting the cookies he dropped. Good to see him adjusting well.

I spent the day outside at a curriculum sale trying to sell stuff after culling my shelves. A lovely day with lovely people. And I sold $250!!

Ds17 is out cheerfully walking the dogs. He seems to have abandoned his teen angst and is happy to be a member of the family. He cheerfully ran some errands for me earlier today, including chauffeuring his sister around.

Dd13 is almost done with her math for the year and seems less anxious about it.

Dh is happy it is the weekend, which means we are all happy.

All news with my mother's bre@st cancer is as good as such a situation can be. Lymph nodes are clear. She is healing up from surgery. I am thankful.

My celebration - ds just got a 28 on the ACT! I'm so proud of him! Me - lost 10 pounds this month! Getting 2 Chinese exchange students for 9 days in about a week! All good!

Oh how wonderful! We just got ACT scores at our house too. My DS got a 29 and his younger sister got a 24! I share your pride. ......just going to ignore my weight, we are moving across country, staying with in laws for 2 weeks and well....not a formula for wight loss... rejoicing with you on your weight loss though!

:) I have one! Starting Sunday, my dh will be home for one whole week! It's been about a year since that was the case. :)

I am nearly giddy.

Great news! So we shouldn't expect to hear from you for a week? :wink:

Oh today I need to Lis my blessings...thanks for the thread

We are all healthy.

Our dog joined us yesterday for the second part of our trip to Alaska

Thankful for friends I can vent to about this 2 weeks with my in laws

thankful my in laws love us, even though their expectations are crazy

My friend gave me 3 books before I moved and I will get to read one soon!

The air conditioning is working well! It is going to be 110 this weekend so, yeah Air!

I am married to a wonderful man ! I love him more each day!

Going to get dessert with family!