Menu

Tim Hawkins - Pretty Pink Tractor

VaKim

Opinions aren't facts. Unless Mr.Hawkins comes in and explains exactly what his lyrics are referring to, opinions are all that are being offered here.

And, lets face it, even if Mr.Hawkins DID show up and say what was on his mind, and his intent on writing this parody, there are folks that wouldn't accept him at his word anyways.

I think that, in this case, MY opinions ARE facts.

I have changed my mind and decided that The Panda is indeed All Knowing.

Bill

Thank you, Bill!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately these days many people are very quick to accuse others of gay bashing and bigotry when there is none. Some people look for it in everything and will find it everywhere, even when it is not there.

Unfortunately these days many people are very quick to accuse others of gay bashing and bigotry when there is none. Some people look for it in everything and will find it everywhere, even when it is not there.

Like when people are ridiculed in songs for failing to conform to narrow gender stereotypes, are laughed at, are told they wear purses, that sort of stuff???

It is there. It is plain as day. The whole song celebrates bullying as a source of "humor." Yuck, yuck.

Bill

But in much of the world, a man looking girly is not only unrighteously feminine, it's license to have the life pounded out of him. This video takes that reality and trivializes it. It makes the point of the view of the bullies, and laughs about people found guilty and punished for no crime.

In no way does the video suggest beating anyone to death. Sis is right. My dh carried my dd's pink camo backpack all over Disney. One day he was also wearing a pink shirt. Someone said, "pink is your color, sir!" And he just said, "thank you!" A photo wearing the same, plus his mouse ears, is on display in his office. The same office that a hundred soldiers come through a day. If nobody is attempting to beat the crap out of him for it (or his hair products), then I am going to have to disbelieve that most unthreatened males in the USA (we have lived all over) would behave on such a manner. And the POV character is not doing the teasing; I think you need to look up what POV means.

For those of us who are sympathetic to victims of violence and potential victims of violence in the LGBTQ community, there is no compensation to hear that in your world this kind of thing is acceptable.

It is extremely offensive for you to imply that I am not sensitive to LGBT issues. 1. You don't know me and what I have fought for, at ALL, nor would it be appropriate to discuss here because I have directly spoken with high ranking officials whose names everyone here would recognize. 2. There is *nothing* referencing gay males in the video.

Yes, teasing of white, straight males is generally acceptable. Ribbing/teasing is something that most of us engage in. Nobody in this video was injured, and the POV character doesn't give up his pink tractor in the end, despite the teasing.

In the greater world, it's dangerous enough just to be known as gay, much less not be ashamed of it. Laughing with the bullies from the point of view of the would-be victim is simply not humorous. It's mean. Really mean.

Being gay is not referenced in any way, shape or form unless you and Bill are insisting that gay men are inherently effeminate. They are not, not in my experience.

Several people discussing this are *actual minorities* . So, to be told by a white, middle aged male that we should view this exactly the same as having our marriages be illegal (unless we want to try and "pass") or decorating our homes with black men dressed as slaves? THAT is insulting.

In no way does the video suggest beating anyone to death.

No one says it does. I'm surprised that's what you take from Bill's (and subsequently my) comments.

Sis is right. My dh carried my dd's pink camo backpack all over Disney.

Are you suggesting that a father holding his daughter's backpack is similar gender-bending to laughing at the caricature of a man driving a pink tractor and being teased for being so effeminate he probably carries a purse?

One day he was also wearing a pink shirt. Someone said, "pink is your color, sir!" And he just said, "thank you!" A photo wearing the same, plus his mouse ears, is on display in his office. The same office that a hundred soldiers come through a day. If nobody is attempting to beat the crap out of him for it (or his hair products), then I am going to have to disbelieve that most unthreatened males in the USA (we have lived all over) would behave on such a manner.

Why would anyone laugh at a man wearing pink, except that it's unexpected gender-bending, albeit in a silly, socially appropriate way? When the military becomes an actual safe harbor for, and treats with equal respect LGBTQ soldiers, marines, and sailors, I would expect laughing at a man in pink would no more cross someone's mind than laughing at a woman wearing slacks.

And the POV character is not doing the teasing; I think you need to look up what POV means.

The entire song does the teasing. The singer plays a character meant to be laughed at. It's the homophobic equivalence to wearing Black-Face and tap dancing your way off stage when someone mentions the word "ghost." It doesn't tell people to go out and be violent, it just mocks those who just so happen to be victims of the kind of violence that is trivialized when people laugh at the victims.

It is extremely offensive for you to imply that I am not sensitive to LGBT issues. 1. You don't know me and what I have fought for, at ALL, nor would it be appropriate to discuss here because I have directly spoken with high ranking officials whose names everyone here would recognize. 2. There is *nothing* referencing gay males in the video.

My participation in this conversation isn't meant to be personal, but intellectual. Any offense is not meant. However, if you genuinely think *nothing* in this video references gay males, I suggest your sensitivity is not as sharp as you might expect.

Several people discussing this are *actual minorities* . So, to be told by a white, middle aged male that we should view this exactly the same as having our marriages be illegal (unless we want to try and "pass") or decorating our homes with black men dressed as slaves? THAT is insulting.

So now we have one poster's "gay friend," and several *actual minorities* to add legitimacy to the idea this parody isn't homophobic in any way? If I find a "gay friend" and several *actual minorities* that are offended, would that make a difference for you? Is that what's needed here, a bigger group of people saying, "Is so!" to your "Is not!"

In no way does the video suggest beating anyone to death. Sis is right. My dh carried my dd's pink camo backpack all over Disney. One day he was also wearing a pink shirt. Someone said, "pink is your color, sir!" And he just said, "thank you!" A photo wearing the same, plus his mouse ears, is on display in his office. The same office that a hundred soldiers come through a day. If nobody is attempting to beat the crap out of him for it (or his hair products), then I am going to have to disbelieve that most unthreatened males in the USA (we have lived all over) would behave on such a manner. And the POV character is not doing the teasing; I think you need to look up what POV means.

Yes, teasing of white, straight males is generally acceptable. Ribbing/teasing is something that most of us engage in. Nobody in this video was injured, and the POV character doesn't give up his pink tractor in the end, despite the teasing.

Being gay is not referenced in any way, shape or form unless you and Bill are insisting They are not, not in my experience.

You are living in denial. You are making excuses for the inexcusable.

And you are deliberately attempting to twist my words. I never said or insisted "that gay men are inherently effeminate." These are cheap tactics that you have stooped to time and again when your agruements fail. Shame on you!

Bill

This silly parody is controversial? Seriously? Why does someone have to be offended by every. single. little. thing? I honestly can't believe the things that people get upset about. I hate political correctness.

Is it such a burden to be mindful of the victimization of others? Is compassion really that difficult?

Is it such a burden to be mindful of the victimization of others? Is compassion really that difficult?

Nobody is victimized in or by this video. It belittles real bullying and victimization to say that someone is. I think it is reckless to insist that every little bit of teasing of the dominant population=a hate a crime because it makes it easier for people to write off *actual* hate crimes.

Nobody is victimized in or by this video. It belittles real bullying and victimization to say that someone is. I think it is reckless to insist that every little bit of teasing of the dominant population=a hate a crime because it makes it easier for people to write off *actual* hate crimes.

Wrong. It gives "cover" to perpetuate the bullying and reinforces the attitudes that ridiculing people for their lack of conformity to gender stereotypes is OK, and even "funny." but it is not OK. an it is not funny.

Bill

Wrong. It gives "cover" to perpetuate the bullying and reinforces the attitudes that ridiculing people for their lack of conformity to gender stereotypes is OK, and even "funny." but it is not OK. an it is not funny.

It isn't about *gender*, as noted by Sis upthread. It is about having a tractor that looks like it was decorated by a *child*. Same with the room re-do in the other thread. It wasn't decorated by or for a *woman*. That is the whole point of the references to the children's shows and toys. Little girlish does not equal womanly or feminine or effeminate or gay, therefore the video is not victimizing or commiting a crime upon any of any of those groups.

You can say I am wrong all day long, but that doesn't make your words an absolute truth.

Nobody is victimized in or by this video.

And again, no one is actually suggesting that anyone is victimized in or by this video. No one was victimized by watching Black Face on Vaudeville either. The real victimization comes from the pounds per square inch of force directed from a fist, boot, or club onto a human face, skull, ribs, arms, and legs, for starters. What this video does do, just like Black Face entertainment, is justify the tribalization ideology between "us" and "them," thus making it easier to be desensitized when one of "them" is hurt. Why is that empathy lessened? It's because who can blame them when they ask for it themselves. "What kind of n***** / fag would dare hang out here, where we are?"

The real victims are the ones who are beaten, tied to fences and left to die. The real victims are the ones dragged behind pick up trucks. The real victims are the ones gang raped in the military by their fellow soldiers and forced to keep their mouths shut about it. The real victims are the ones mercilessly, publicly ridiculed until they hang themselves to escape the living Hell "us" imposes on "them," because after all, they're not one of "us," and what the hell are they thinking hanging out around here anyway?

[nm]

Edited by Moderator
Lose the snark, please.

I don't "get" the video -- it's not my world -- so I'm going to leave it as being confused as to why he just didn't paint the tractor (or at least not keep but washed and waxed... but maybe there's subtext in the waxing :tongue_smilie: ).

But I'm going to throw out "I'm a Lumberjack" for consideration. A compare and contrast is you will.

I don't "get" the video -- it's not my world -- so I'm going to leave it as being confused as to why he just didn't paint the tractor (or at least not keep but wanted and waxed... but maybe there's subtext in the waxing :tongue_smilie: ).

But I'm going to throw out "I'm a Lumberjack" for consideration. A compare and contrast is you will.

Clearly, any gender bending and/or laughing at it is inviting physical violence upon homosexuals. Monty Python is therefore definitely out (I just watched the Huge Tracts of Land scene from The Holy Grail and will now need to file criminal charges against myself for laughing). Graham Chapman clearly hated and wished violence upon himself. Marx Brothers? Out. Bosom Buddies? Out. Some Like It Hot? Out. Tootsie? Mrs. Doubtfire? Out.

I did some googling, and did find something disturbing to me. Hawkins wrote a second Chick-fil-A song set to Proud To Be An American. I'd never heard that one. The clip i saw showed the Cathy family, owners of the chain, in the audience, clapping and laughing.

So, while I don't see gay bashing in the Tractor song, Hawkins wrote a second song in which he sings 'God Bless you, Chick- fil-A'. That makes me very uncomfortable due to the nature of the controversy.

I'm on my iPad, and cutting and pasting on this device has always eluded me. When I can use the house computer, I'll share the link.

In what way does exposing bigotry and ridicule make it easier to write off hate crimes? In your world is that how it works?

I don't think any of this is called for. I don't understand equating farmers who rib each other over the color of a tractor with Jim Crow or gang rape. It implies no sense of scale or understanding of history. No one is beat up in the video. No one is called names. I highly doubt anyone is going to watch this video and run out hunting for hate crimes to commit. Posters have repeatedly stated why the video is offensive. Others have said otherwise. Calling those who disagree complicit in hate crime is heinous.

I hope it doesn't hurt to jump that far.

I did read the breakdown you posted. I understand that is how you interpreted it. I know there was the whole 'teletubbies' scandal but that is not the only thing they were known for and it remained a popular childrens' show. In fact, in the circles I grew up it was almost a classist thing...there was a stereotype that rednecks liked Teletubbies whereas others preferred the old classic Sesame Street. The double rainbow doesn't refer to a rainbow flag but to the double rainbow viral video about being so 'high' which you seem to have ignored when mentioned before.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/double-rainbow

You have a valid argument that they are relying on traditional gender role stereotypes (girls, esp little girls like pink and purses), however, I do not see how this translates to homosexuality unless you ARE saying that if a man likes pink and carries a purse that identifies him as a homosexual and I don't think that you believe that. You've somehow made the leap from a guy being made fun of for driving a pink tractor with a teletubbies seat who then decides to keep it and 'screw em' to gay bashing to blackface to hate crimes. I'm sure it is my inferior brain capacity but I really don't see how you're making these leaps, even once you explained it out to me.

I sure hope you two are as vehement about all forms of bullying and you never like any sort of comedian. I was bullied a plenty in school pre-high school for not being 'cool' and for being a geek or a nerd and I knew people who self-harmed and attempted suicide because of bullying like that. I've never seen anyone opposed to nerd/geek jokes because nerds are bullied at school, a real issue in our society.

BTW, I hate country music and have no emotional connection to this song or the guy who sings it. I'm not even sure who he is.

Wow, people get riled up over the oddest things. I was shown this song by my friend ages ago (who btw is gay). He thought it funny and he doesn't have any problems with his sexual orientation. If he didn't find it offensive in any way, I'm not sure why I would get bent out of shape over it. In my world up here, a straight guy driving a pink tractor would get ribbed a little. In a friendly way. After listening to the song my dh laughed and said when we repaint our tractor we'll have to paint it pink.

I don't think any of this is called for. I don't understand equating farmers who rib each other over the color of a tractor with Jim Crow or gang rape. It implies no sense of scale or understanding of history. No one is beat up in the video. No one is called names. I highly doubt anyone is going to watch this video and run out hunting for hate crimes to commit. Posters have repeatedly stated why the video is offensive. Others have said otherwise. Calling those who disagree complicit in hate crime is heinous.

I have to agree. There comes a point where people are afraid to speak at all because anything they say will be used against them. It is the tool of the weak minded to silence speech by making those who disagree with them out to be a bigot/homophobe/racist. Of course bigots, racists, and homophobes exist but sometimes a joke is just a joke, not a hate crime.

I did some googling, and did find something disturbing to me. Hawkins wrote a second Chick-fil-A song set to Proud To Be An American. I'd never heard that one. The clip i saw showed the Cathy family, owners of the chain, in the audience, clapping and laughing.

So, while I don't see gay bashing in the Tractor song, Hawkins wrote a second song in which he sings 'God Bless you, Chick- fil-A'. That makes me very uncomfortable due to the nature of the controversy.

I'm on my iPad, and cutting and pasting on this device has always eluded me. When I can use the house computer, I'll share the link.

I'll share the link for you:

Here he is, the court jester, flattering one of the most notorious anti-gay bigots in America, Dan Cathy.

Memorable humor comes when comedians speak truth to power. Tim Hawkins doesn't do that. He fawns, he flatters, and he reinforces these people's worst instincts.

Glad you've begun to come around.

Bill

I continue to read this thread for Lord knows what reason but I always come back to the fact that in your first post, Bill, you yourself bashed a group of people for no other reason than they are different than you. I am not sure you really know what a true redneck is. A redneck is a hardworking, country person that usually labors all day in the sun thus the redneck/ sunburn. I know firsthand that many rednecks are willing to give anyone, black, white, gay, etc, the shirt of their back if needed. Now does this mean that all rednecks are good people and wouldn't "drag a N behind their pickup truck"? Nope but not all gays are worthwhile people either. Some have horrible personalities, are murders, rapist/pedophiles, cheats, liars, thieves, etc whether they wear pink, carry a purse or dress in camo. Why? Because they are human beings the same as everyone else, even the redneck, white guy that is being bashed openly bashed without a hint of remorse or pc to be found. You have set your mind on what people of the south/rednecks/country people must be like and sadly probably won't change anymore than you expect Paula Deen to change her views. This world needs to starts treating all people with respect, even with their differences.

Since my phone won't let me edit I want to follow up with it is a slippery slope we walk when it is okay to bash a group of people because they are not currently in the spotlight as the most downtrodden or mistreated. Where dies it stop. Would it be ok for a person that feels as atrongly as Bill obviously does about idiotic rednecks that they then beat to death a proud country gal such as myself? Seems ridiculous to think of but it starts somewhere usually at bitterness or pay back for injustice dealt to them. Would this be justifiable? Would it be okay then if we rednecks spouted hatred to everything gay? No, no more than it is right for any gay or gay supporter to spout hatred toward me a redneck that they know nothing about!

I am a farmer / wife of a farmer and I don't find it funny at all.

FWIW, MY very manly man does have a tractor that we call the Pink Monster. It's a 1958 Massey. New it was red. After half a century plus of weather, it's sort of a dusty pink -- where there is still discernible paint. Runs like a charm. Wouldn't trade it for *coughpieceofcrapcough* JD if you paid us.

Frankly, the idea that a real farmer is sooooo concerned with how his tractor looks is really stupid. Unless he's a fussy little city transplant, he ought to care more about how it runs than how it looks.

Dem's fightin' words! :boxing_smiley: :boxing_smiley: :biggrinjester:

And my Dad, a real farmer is concerned with how "purdy" his tractor is. He thinks that every single one of his John Deere tractors are pretty. :D Of course, he also had to show us the "pretty new grain truck" and let the kids play with the remote control hydraulic lift on it last week when we visited, too.

I'm pretty sure there are a couple pink-ish Masseys hanging around somewhere, too though. Although I believe that they seized and retired to the pasture now.

As the secretary of our local Antique Tractor Club, I can tell you that ribbing goes on constantly between those that own green tractors and those that own the red ones. It is all in fun and I saw the video from that perspective.

I know of a custom harvesting crew that is known for its yellow ones.

So now we have one poster's "gay friend," and several *actual minorities* to add legitimacy to the idea this parody isn't homophobic in any way? If I find a "gay friend" and several *actual minorities* that are offended, would that make a difference for you? Is that what's needed here, a bigger group of people saying, "Is so!" to your "Is not!"

Mrs Mungo is referring to herself. We are Native American, OUR marriages would be illegal.

No I do not compare some guy being mocked for driving a young girl's tractor to actual real discrimination and I do very mind mind being lectured and patronized for that. I do not feel bad for grown heterosexual white men who might get a purse comment. A guy holding a little girl's purse is not a protected minority anymore than a guy with a Barbie tractor is. Now excuse me my son needs help putting on the snow white dress with his power ranger mask and gauntlets.

I looked at the comments on the youtube website from the past 3 months (it's been up for a year and a half) and none of the comments I read thought the author of the song was gay bashing. In over 1.5 million views, there are only 169 thumbs down. I don't think most people who view this are seeing gay bashing, homophobia hate. (And youtube commentors are notorious for being easily offended or insulting.) I think Bill must have something in his personal history that makes him extremely sensitive to anything that reminds him of something clearly traumatizing for him or someone he's close to. I'm not saying that just because no one else sees what he's seeing doesn't mean it isn't there. But Bill, please consider that your personal experience could be tainting your viewing.

I looked at the comments on the youtube website from the past 3 months (it's been up for a year and a half) and none of the comments I read thought the author of the song was gay bashing. In over 1.5 million views, there are only 169 thumbs down. I don't think most people who view this are seeing gay bashing, homophobia hate. (And youtube commentors are notorious for being easily offended or insulting.) I think Bill must have something in his personal history that makes him extremely sensitive to anything that reminds him of something clearly traumatizing for him or someone he's close to. I'm not saying that just because no one else sees what he's seeing doesn't mean it isn't there. But Bill, please consider that your personal experience could be tainting your viewing.

Sorry, but your pop-psychology is way off.

I do know that we have a choices in this life, we can stand against bigotry [no matter who is the victim] or join in the ugliness, or we can timorously keep our thoughts for others to themselves.

If people don't stand up to the bullies things won't change. And they need to change. very. badly.

Bill

Does anyone think perhaps taunting about wearing pink, etc was worse for the older generation? Maybe that's why people of younger generations (there are posters here old enough to be my parents *and* posters young enough to be my children) don't see it?

eta: I'd still like nmoira to have her lumberjack question answered.

Does anyone think perhaps taunting about wearing pink, etc was worse for the older generation? Maybe that's why people of younger generations (there are posters here old enough to be my parents *and* posters young enough to be my children) don't see it?

Probably. Before the 1900s, pink was the color for baby boys and blue was for baby girls. In the 1940s or so through the 70s, that all switched around for some reason and pink was heavily marketed as the "girly" color. People growing up around then were, I'm sure, very influenced by the ad blitz. Nowadays, not so much.

It has nothing to do with wearing "pink." It is about making bullying due to non-conformity with narrow social expectations seem like it is funny, OK, or cool.

Bill

Probably. Before the 1900s, pink was the color for baby boys and blue was for baby girls. In the 1940s or so through the 70s, that all switched around for some reason and pink was heavily marketed as the "girly" color. People growing up around then were, I'm sure, very influenced by the ad blitz. Nowadays, not so much.

Little boys used to wear dresses as well. There are some darling family pix of my great grandfather wearing white ones. Some with very fancy lace collars. :)

Eta: they could even be pink. You can't tell, as the photos are in black and white. :)

It has nothing to do with wearing "pink." It is about making bullying due to non-conformity with narrow social expectations seem like it is funny, OK, or cool.

WHAT narrow social expectation? That farmers (of any sex and/or sexual persuasion) do not decorate their tractors as if they were 5 year old girls? People have said there is ribbing between owners of green vs red tractors, JD vs farmall, etc. It is friendly teasing among compadres, NOT bullying of a minority group! It's a completely ridiculous comparison. And you don't know why people see it as condescending that the big white middle aged guy from LA has to explain to the poor, ignorant, midwestern (some white, some not) girls why it's so bad?

Little boys used to wear dresses as well. There are some darling family pix of my great grandfather wearing white ones. Some with very fancy lace collars. :)

Eta: they could even be pink. You can't tell, as the photos are in black and white. :)

LOL, I put my all own little boys in long, fancy dresses at least once in their lives. I like the old-school baptismal gowns. :)