Menu

Before the Bikini: Rare Vintage Beach Photos

Roadrunner

In some of those suits, there isn't any linings,that seems more revealing to me than many of today's suits.

I was thinking the same thing. The way the fabric pulls on some of them, especially when wet, doesn't leave much to the imagination, for both men and women. :blushing:

I am grateful for synthetic fabrics and linings in my bikinis.

ME TOO!

I have a great photo of my grandmother on the beaches in China in around 1920 or so in one like these.

Dawn

It makes me sad too a little. I see my grandmother in these women, young, alive and playful.

Some of the women were wearing heels. I can't imagine wearing heels to the beach.

And I've always wondering what a "bathing machine" is. What was the purpose of those little houses on wheels?

From what I understand (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), originally you got into the bathing machine and it was pulled into the water. Once in the water you opened the door, swam out, and could swim and splash around. You got back into the machine when you were done and it pulled you back onto land where you changed back into proper clothing before emerging. This was how people went swimming in the late 19th-early 20th century, so that no one would ever see you wet or immodestly dressed for swimming.

The pictures in the link seem to be the idea of changing into your bathing costume in the bathing machine, and then emerging to swim and going back in to put on your regular clothes. I guess it was too provocative to watch women and/or men shimmy out of a coverup with a suit underneath. Or maybe the suits were so uncomfortable you didn't want to wear a suit underneath your regular clothes.

Ah, folks in the the good old days were not as staid and proper as we like to imagine they were.

I couldn't stop clicking. One thing that struck me was the joy in the early photos. As fashion magazines and movies and then television became more a part of our lives (I'm guessing), people "posed" more for photos. Curious.

This was how people went swimming in the late 19th-early 20th century, so that no one would ever see you wet or immodestly dressed for swimming.

This was how some people swam. The have-nots have been swimming with less pretense of modesty for a long time and most of these pictures show people frolicking in wet suits on the sand.

I can't wish too much I was born in a bygone era because I like voting and integration too much. :lol:

I had a vintage swimsuit from either the 20s or 30s that I dug out of the reject bin at the junk and antique drawer when I was a teenager. It was navy blue with shorts on the bottom and little belt (which I added as it had belt loops but no belt. It looked cute but the thing was made of wool. Wet wool. Ugh. Synthetics are sometimes a nice thing to have!

I only looked at the first 100 or so. What struck me was the body shape of a lot of the women. I tended to think that people in the 20's were very thin, but they were extremely shapely.

I think that's why I enjoyed the pictures so much. I have been relatively thin for most of my life and didn't really think much about it. I'm now 43 and over the past few years, I have become much curvier. I didn't realize how much modern media had had an effect on my perception of body shape until I gained weight. I thought I was overweight. Friends, don't start obsessing about the size of your booty to your dh. It's a turnoff. Ask me how I know.

So, having never been on a diet, I decided I should lose about 20 lbs and started restricting food and being cranky and miserable. I finally decided to see how much overweight I was. None. My BMI is normal. Could I stand to get eat better and get more exercise? Heck yeah, and I'm doing it.

When I looked at the these pictures, I saw *my* body shape. And it looked good! They all look so comfortable with themselves. I love that.

I think that's why I enjoyed the pictures so much. I have been relatively thin for most of my life and didn't really think much about it. I'm now 43 and over the past few years, I have become much curvier. I didn't realize how much modern media had had an effect on my perception of body shape until I gained weight. I thought I was overweight. Friends, don't start obsessing about the size of your booty to your dh. It's a turnoff. Ask me how I know.

So, having never been on a diet, I decided I should lose about 20 lbs and started restricting food and being cranky and miserable. I finally decided to see how much overweight I was. None. My BMI is normal. Could I stand to get eat better and get more exercise? Heck yeah, and I'm doing it.

When I looked at the these pictures, I saw *my* body shape. And it looked good! They all look so comfortable with themselves. I love that.

Exactly! It was so neat to see such natural people. Whenever I see beach pictures nowadays, everyone makes fun of anyone who isn't a Barbie. And I don't just mean skinny. I mean Barbie. Or covering up trying to hide that they're not. It's so nice to see everyone so joyful in these photos, and to see that apparently I have a 1930's body type, no matter how hard I exercise. :lol: