Menu

How do your college students spend their summers?

Nscribe

We've had 5 college students so far, and they've done a mix of the following:

Working (on our farm, at dh's medical practice, and other)

Volunteering

Job shadowing

Research (through the university)

Summer classes

Worldview Academy leaders

CLEPs

Mission trips

Wedding planning (we've had a wedding a year for the past 4 years)

Applying to post graduate programs

My 20yo is trying to get her first job. She hasn't had any luck yet, not even an interview.

My 17yo already has a job, but it's just a single 2.5-hour/week shift in the childcare room at Jazzercise. She is trying to do shadowing this summer. There is a small school for special needs kids near us and she wants to shadow their OTs and STs to see which path she thinks she'd rather follow. The school already said it was fine, but she needs to make arrangements with the therapy center they contract their therapists through. I would love for her to get a job or even a regular volunteer position there.

dd#1 --

1) internship abroad, funded by a grant from the college. Didn't earn money but was almost revenue neutral.

2) internship in D.C. All expenses paid by a grant from the college. Didn't earn money, but was completely revenue neutral.

3) job working at college (not a research position but very relevant to her field of interest -- excellent prep work for her thesis). Earned some $$ profit after living expenses.

ds#1 --

1) research position at college funded by grant. Earned some $$ profit after living expenses.

2) Ditto

3) Ditto

Ds#2 --

1) Job working in field of interest 1/3 of the way across the country. Earnings should counterbalance living expenses, but the experience will be priceless.

From what I've seen at colleges, the idea that students come home and earn money is old-fashioned. The students my kids have known have usually had internships or research positions, some paid and some unpaid. But college students we know locally often do just come home and flip burgers to earn money. (How to hold two contradictory positions at once.....) Hmm.....

After my son's first year of college, he had a paid internship in a small museum.

After his second year, he attended an archaeological field school in Britain. We paid for this but it yielded great results for him--both in terms of knowledge and in connections. The site is valuable for the content of his senior thesis.

This summer (after his junior year), he is attending two field schools. The first is sponsored by the same folks with whom he volunteered as a high school student. While not a supervisor on site, he is being given more responsibility than the rest of the students. Then he returns to Britain to work at the same field school he was at last summer. This year he is in a junior supervisory position--no paycheck but no fees, meals provided, etc. He also received a grant from his college to pay for the airfare so revenue neutral--or almost after you subtract the occasional pint at the local pub.

My son's goal of the moment is to be a contract archaeologist, a shovel bum. Experience is key which is why the field schools are more valuable (we believe) than a traditional student summer job.

Oldest came home his first summer and got a basic job in a food factory. Both summers since he's found more enjoyable employment with his college and stayed there. This summer he's also getting married.

Middle is in his first summer. He has two lab jobs at his college (one paid, one not) and will likely be picking up a job with Chipotle as well plus he has a couple of hours of work per week with his work study job. The lab jobs are 30 - 40 hours per week (combined). He also plans to volunteer/shadow at the hospital on campus and he's signed up for tutoring. He's staying busy (and enjoying it). I will admit to missing not having them home, but they really do have far better opportunities outside of our rural area.

DD got her EMT license at 18 and then her paramedic license. She always juggled summer classes and EMS paid work.

Ds isn't in college yet, but looking at the options for his top choice schools, if he lands at one of them, he'll likely have a paid campus job while working as a research assistant or having an internship. He's only looking at programs that have these options available. If he doesn't get one of the paid positions, if DH and I can possibly afford it, we'll send him for a summer abroad study/work experience.

Faith

Ds just completed his freshman year. This summer, he is working full-time for a web design company (making $17 an hour!). And he gets to work from home.

Next year, he plans to apply for research opportunities. The money he makes this summer will help pay for his future adventures. ;)

Oh, and way back in the day, piano performance majors at my LAC were not given breaks. We were assigned rather large amounts of repetoire to practice and memorize. It was rare to practice less than 5 hours a day and 7-8 was the norm. Additionally, we had to volunteer - ie. do the professors' work for free - teaching in the college summer camp for children. I had eight piano students, taught a group general music class, conducted a middle school summer handbell choir, accompanied the high school level choir, and had two hours of rehearsal per day with a guy who was entering a concerto competition - my job was to play the orchestral reduction accompaniment since he would have no opportunity to rehearse with the orchestra until the day before the competition. Sleep was a luxury.

Faith

Ds spent his summers working at McDonalds locally, as a summer camp counselor at MathPath, doing research with a prof on campus, and finally interning at the company where he's now employed.

Dd spent two summers as a MathPath counselor and working online for AoPS as a TA/grader. This year, she's continuing the AoPS job in her spare time while working full time as a paid research assistant on campus. We're tickled that she got the job, but it'll be weird not getting to see much of her this summer!

I think one thing to keep in mind is that you need to be willing to help your student find a job. I listened to this interview over the weekend: http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2013/05/25/186609052/for-black-americans-finding-work-an-uphill-battle

In research for her book The American Non-Dilemma: Racial Inequality Without Racism, DiTomaso began by interviewing several hundred white people from across the country about their job histories.

She found that about 70 percent of the jobs they had held over their lives were obtained thanks to some kind of inside edge or outside help, like a friend tipping them off to an open position or putting in a good word for them.

I can remember my dad telling me he had no connections to help me get any kind of summer job. Now, in some families that might have been the case, but looking back as adult, I know he had connections. The man taught microbiology at a med school! Even more important I can remember that some of our earliest friends in town were professionals in the very area I was majoring in. Now, I know he had some options, but for whatever reason, he didn't think he did. Maybe he saw one too many faculty brats come through and didn't want me to be one, but instead I worked summers in fast food. Maybe he just wasn't good at networking, I don't know exactly. I'm not upset with him, but I do think he could have done more.

So if you have a college student at home, start thinking about your network. Hey even think about the parents of their friends and their brother and sister's friends. You know more people than you think.

So if you have a college student at home, start thinking about your network. Hey even think about the parents of their friends and their brother and sister's friends. You know more people than you think.

It was an article in the local newspaper that opened a door for my son. He read that a North Carolina historic site near us needed volunteers to help dig during a designated week. An archaeologist who works for the state took my son under his wing, not only insuring that he received a good experience, but later offered a recommendation when another group placed the call for volunteers. Even though my son was just sixteen, he had a state archaeologist say he was a hard worker. Door opened!

I would say that in addition to working the family/friend grapevine, your teens can ask other people in the community for help or ideas. Parents can ask, but teen inquiries can be far more powerful.

Sure we could have helped our guy(s) get basic jobs around here, but they literally have better options at or near their colleges. They both got theirs through networking at college. Oldest had an a/v work study job that led to his summer employment getting their classrooms all wired and/or updated. Middle networked through his TAs and the career center. He had done a great job in recitations (and class grades even though the TAs didn't teach those) to impress his TAs and the career center helped him with his resume.

When they were at home - prior to college - all three have worked for hubby as he needed field hands with his Civil Engineering work. That didn't bring in "fresh" money, but it sure provided them some experience, flexible hours and some bonding time.

I just graduated last last year and I took summer classes every summer, either online, a 2-3 week travel study, or both. Two summers I taught student camps during the Practicums for Classical Conversations for several weeks. My last summer I did research for a professor, primarily from home. I had a good mixture of work and academics during the summer, though I did not like the online class experience.

My brother just finished his freshman year and is working 40 hours per week on campus in an area semi-related to his field. He is commuting to campus for work, though he lives there during the school year.

My sister has done a variety of things. She primarily uses her summers for her agricultural pursuits; last summer she butchered chickens, this summer she is raising bees and working part time.

Oldest is home after her freshman year and starts working at Target next week. She'll work full time for the summer and continue working part time once school starts up again. She needed to work this summer since she is paying for her room and board for next year.

I find it really interesting that employment is a consistent theme in what is being done and the news keeps talking about struggles for youth finding jobs.

Thank you for all the responses, hoping for more as I trying to get a fix on what college students are doing now.

I find it really interesting that employment is a consistent theme in what is being done and the news keeps talking about struggles for youth finding jobs.

Thank you for all the responses, hoping for more as I trying to get a fix on what college students are doing now.

I was only marginally employed. The jobs I had were basically handed to me just because of connections I had at school and in the homeschool community back home. I wasn't in the traditional job market, so don't let that give you a false impression. My sister is having a hard time finding a job that relates at all to her nursing degree.

Let's see ....

After my daughter's freshman year, she came home and worked at the public library. (Because she was on work study at college, she learned of an opportunity where she could make arrangements to work at a local non-profit or government agency who would then pay 25% of her salary while work study funds would pay the remaining 75%.)

After sophomore year, she was home for only about six weeks before heading off for a semester abroad. That time was spent having her wisdom teeth removed, being called for jury duty, and helping her father in the garden with various projects.

After junior year, she remained on her college campus and worked full time in food services. She used a portion of her wages to then take a ten day trip to South Korea.

Recently graduated, she's been hired to teach English to kindergarteners in South Korea.

Regards,

Kareni

My son had a hard time finding a job his first summer home, but he did land an internship for the city. (A nifty job, taking a comprehensive inventory of all the bike racks in the city, and then making an interactive map online). That was ostensibly an unpaid internship, but because the other student intern didn't do a single lick of work, the city rustled up some money to pay him an honorarium. Which was awfully nice of them. (I wasn't even aware of the issues with the other student until months later, when I ran into the city folks at an awards ceremony. I was surprised, because my boy hadn't complained at all. But that kid must have been a piece of work, because WOW did those gals give me an earful about him!)

Last summer my son worked at the local ball park, serving meals to drunken obstreperous baseball fans, and trying to avoid getting hit by foul balls. (Lots of bruises.) He also had oral surgery and, later, an epic hemorrhage, so THAT was a fun summer. Okay, not really.

This spring he's applied to a kazillion internships, one in Alaska, several in the town where he goes to school, and one here at home. They were all highly competitive, and they all fell through, except the one here. (Skype interview tomorrow — this one is similar to the city internship a while back, and he has great references, so I'm confident that he has a good chance. And the minimum wage here is about $3/hour more than it is in Illinois, so that's a definite bonus.) So just today he decided to come home. He said he'd rather be unemployed at home than unemployed there, but I think something will work out.

This summer he plans to study for the GRE and do some more research into graduate programs. He's currently leaning toward environmental law, and may then end up studying for the LSAT. Every year my son makes a fairly rigorous reading list and plows through materials that are related or complementary to his field of interest. I think that's a holdover from homeschooling days. Or. You know. I'd *like* to think that I've helped him establish these habits of inquiry.

I was prepared to be brave and happy for his adventures elsewhere, but now that he's decided to come home for the summer, I'm just tickled.

It was an article in the local newspaper that opened a door for my son. He read that a North Carolina historic site near us needed volunteers to help dig during a designated week. An archaeologist who works for the state took my son under his wing, not only insuring that he received a good experience, but later offered a recommendation when another group placed the call for volunteers. Even though my son was just sixteen, he had a state archaeologist say he was a hard worker. Door opened!

I would say that in addition to working the family/friend grapevine, your teens can ask other people in the community for help or ideas. Parents can ask, but teen inquiries can be far more powerful.

For a true cold call such as you describe here, I agree completely, but for a situation where the parent or other adult has connections the power is with the person who knows someone. They need to call first, and then the teen can follow up.

My oldest daughter will be working over the summer. She's an occupational therapy major so she'll be interning with a pediatric occupational therapy practice over the summer.

Last year, she worked as a camp counselor at the YMCA, working with two disabled campers so that they would be able to access the camp environment.

My oldest son is just starting college so he's taking an orientation course over the summer and preparing for his first semester of college in the fall. I'm so proud of him! He has high functioning autism and we were told that he'd never learn to read or write 15 years ago when he was diagnosed -- now he's going to *college*! :)

I was actually surprised at how easy it was for my daughter to find a job. There doesn't seem to be a problem around here, at least with around minimum wage retail jobs. She dropped off applications at a bunch of stores, had multiple interviews and offers. Target was her best bet for flexibility with hours and they paid better than some of the smaller stores.

My two nephews (who we've raised since they were 11 and 14) just got back from a quick trip to Costa Rica. Next week, the 19yo starts work at a gymnastics camp. The 21yo will work as a babysitter/buddy to a 12yo boy with autism. For the last two summers, he's worked as a counselor at a camp for kids with special needs. Neither of them has had any trouble finding work. The summer camps around here seem to have a shortage of male counselors.

My youngest who just finished his freshman year is spending 8 weeks of this summer break in a paid research position with 2 of his geology professors. Being paid and working with his professors isn't even the coolest part of it -- he is in Iceland for part of it! And having an absolute blast!

My oldest was in a year-round program for his college degree, so no summers off. Now landing his first full time job -- that's proving to be a challenge...

Neither of my boys had difficulty finding minimum-wage service jobs during their senior year in high school, but I know many of their friends have struggled to land even the most basic job. I too have heard how tough the job market is for youth, so I don't know if my boys were lucky or if their friends don't interview well, or what.

Both of my oldest are fortunate to be working in departments on campus that employ them full-time during the summer and part-time during the school year. They began working these jobs last summer and were able to continue them on through this summer and are hired again for the next school year. We're very thankful!

My dd lives at home and commutes. My ds is living in an apartment with five other guys near campus.

Both of my oldest are fortunate to be working in departments on campus that employ them full-time during the summer and part-time during the school year. They began working these jobs last summer and were able to continue them on through this summer and are hired again for the next school year. We're very thankful!

My dd lives at home and commutes. My ds is living in an apartment with five other guys near campus.

Has your DH or kids met my brother?? :-)

:-) He's working on campus four days a week this summer...

Those campus jobs are great when you can get them. Do you mind saying what department? My son is working in Computer Services and my daughter is in Enrollment Services.

Those campus jobs are great when you can get them. Do you mind saying what department? My son is working in Computer Services and my daughter is in Enrollment Services.

My oldest works in Audio/Visual (a/v) for his work study and has since his first day. He had experience from our church and one of his youth groups from his high school days. He not only has his work study job this way, he gets paid for some "regular" jobs doing this too, both with the college and in the community. Just last night he was telling me he might go full time with this rather than in his major when he graduates (he likes it and there's plenty of jobs according to him). I told him that was fine with me. We're a family that doesn't really care if they end up using their degree. We just want them to have a degree (and the college experience that can go with it) so they aren't held back from any job or advancing in their job (promotions) because they don't have a degree. For their "job" we just want them doing something they really enjoy. If that's a/v rather than business, I'm ok with it. He hasn't decided for sure yet. That's ok too. His "problem" with business (so far) is the job offers he's had (or seen) would require him relocating to a large city and he doesn't really want to live in those places. This coming year (his senior year) he's going to be looking around a bit more where he does want to live and see what comes up. The $$ he's made from his a/v jobs have allowed him to be totally self-paying for his last two years of college (plus he has merit aid, grants, and "basic" student loans - no "extra" loans). We, parents, haven't had to pay a dime except I still bought some books and we pay for his cell phone + car insurance.

My middle son works for Hillel for his work study. He really enjoys it, but neither of us are certain if it will continue when he has other lab options. He thinks he can keep it since it's mainly Friday evenings for their dinner, but time will tell. We've told him it's up to him.

My son's school has a standard 3 semester calendar. He spent the first summer at school. The second summer, remembering the heat, humidity and lack of a/c in his apartment, he spent the summer home playing with his sisters and taking them swimming, shopping, etc. The third summer, he did the same. The fourth summer, he had an internship at the US embassy and worked at his regular job and took 3 classes. It was a busy summer. btw - he started in a winter semester instead of the fall which is why he had 4 summers. We treasured the two summers he spent at home with us.

Guest RebeccaZager

my opinion is best way for college students to spend summer stay with friends do any job possibly save money on food and rent, and still earn some extra cash.dont waste your valuable time .other best way to spend simmer is do research or take extra classes in your field which is helpful in future.

Daughter #1 - just finished her freshman year, she is home taking chemistry and multivariable calculus and working 1 day a week at her TKD school. She changed majors and taking 1 of these classes catches her up with her peers, the other puts her ahead of them by 1 semester of math.

Daughter #2 - just finished her sophomore year, last summer she took 2 classes. This summer she is a paid undergraduate research assistant at a university other than her own. It will be a $$$ positive experience

Middle son just sent me a link to an older article (2011) about the lab he is working in:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/12/111228111722.htm

The research that is out there being done (various fields) is really amazing. It's neat to know our kids (Hive kids) are getting to be part of so much of it.

On a different note, two weeks until oldest son's wedding...

There are many different (and good) paths! Our kids get to fill many niches...

My daughter spent the summer between her freshman and sophomore years living (sort of/mostly) at home. She worked 2 jobs: one at the local ice cream store, the other at the local corner market, and she volunteered at the tiny volunteer library. This summer she is working on campus in the Student Affairs Office (32 hours a week) and has an unpaid internship (about 12 hours weekly). She is living away from home this summer and while I do miss her, it was the right time and way for her to not be home.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my children is working at Glacier National Park for the summer. Another is in school year-round (it's a 5-year program, but taught in 4 year-round years). Another is living at home while working at a coffee shop and playing gigs.

Creekland you might be interested to know that U Rochester and Johns Hopkins are doing research with NASA on black holes.

http://www.nasa.gov/...hole-study.html

Interesting - but definitely not the same spectrum of research my guy is doing.

One of the things I've found interesting is how much research is being coordinated between schools now. I seem to recall more "competition" before. One of the research projects my guy is working on is literally going on worldwide with many different research Us. I wonder if the slowing down of $$ has brought about the change - or perhaps the mere idea that research should be for the common good rather than competitive? I'm not sure.

My oldest just finished her freshman year. She is living at home and working as a waitress. She lucked out - her first weekend home was Mother's Day, we went to a local restaurant for dessert and coffee, she asked if they were hiring and filled out an application on the spot, and she had an interview and was hired the next day. The place is casual with a coffee house atmosphere, but it's also upscale with a wine bar and menu items cooked from fresh, local products, so she's making very good tips.

Next summer, she wants to stay at the university to take summer classes, so she'll be looking for a job there.

In our family, kids need to earn money in the summer. When my oldest interned, he also delivered pizzas, tutored, etc. (plus his Army Reserves weekends).

To get decent paying summer jobs, folks around here need to apply early -- usually in April or early May. After that, there's a lot of competition. I'd encourage kids to talk to friends -- my youngest and his friends successfully network that way a LOT.

You might try summer camps (YMCA, summer schools, Girl Scouts, etc.). Even if they were fully staffed very early, they might end up short staffed along the way. If you just need volunteer hours, then there are usually lots of VBS programs in need of help.

There are also temporary agencies, if the student can type or sweat or something. You get some interesting views of the world of employment that way. You may start out being paid little, but by the second or third job you can start naming your price, once you're verified to be a responsible, good quality worker.

Networking for those future internships is usually something a student has to reach out for early, in all directions, paying attention to opportunities and scheduling them in right away, promoting his own unique qualities -- unless one has an especially connected family.

Julie

In case any of your college students-kids don't know what to do, we are looking for an au pair from 20-21july to 7 august (but it's possible to stay one more week just to enjoy the area in exchange of 2 half-day of work).

Where : 30 minutes by local transport from Paris

What : 25h/week to take care of my 20-months old daughter

In exchange of a family to live with (private room, share bathroom, family meal) + 70€/week.

We are French, I work as a french teacher for foreigner, my boyfriend is studying archeology, my daughter loves cats (there are some in the house) and spicy food.

Except for my daughter we all speaks English. But my daughter don't speak at all for now.

I was au pair before college in Amsterdam and in Luxembourg and I love it. One of the best thing I did to grow up. So send me a private message if you want to know more.