Menu

Need suggestions for an antiperspirant/deodorant that can stand up to teen hormonal shifts

Seasider

My sweet dd16 seems to have deodorant fail every few months - something that worked just suddenly stops working. Her hygiene is otherwise fine. It is embarassing to her and I hope there's something that can be done to help alleviate the effects of this erratic sweatiness.

Have any of you experienced this with your teen girls? Got any recommendations for something super-strength? She and I would love to hear your ideas - thanks!

I always heard (no idea if it's true!) that your body becomes used to deodorant/anti-perspirant after continued use so you are supposed to switch back and forth between two or three brands that you like. I've noticed that if I don't do this than mine stops working as well. So I buy one brand, use it up, then buy a different brand the next time, etc. Like I said, I don't know if it's true, but it works for me.

:bigear:

am listening because my almost 12 year old is having this issue! I remember one of Dh's sisters having this same issue at around this age. I have seen some brands of "super strength" stuff in the store and I think that is my next step for this child.

Thanks for the replies! We'll start with the clinical strength Dove. Hope we won't have to resort to the Botox! But that is an interesting thing to know about, should she one day need it.

I'm still listening if anyone else has more ideas.

Milk of Magnesia. Seriously, google it and you'll find a wealth of info on it. There was a thread here recently on its effectiveness. It's cheap, has very few ingredients and does the trick. If you want something convenient it is sold in a roll-on form by the People's Pharmacy.

• Like 3

Clinical srength was only mildly helpful for me when I went through the stinky stage. I prefer Certain Dry or Dry Idea. One of them made my skin slightly rashy, but I can't remember which! I would apply one of those at night, and use regular deodorant in the morning. I think you're not supposed to need extra in the morning, but I did, and the heavy-duty stuff was too much for my skin to handle twice a day.

Secret is what works best for me. It is one of the special versions, outlast perhaps? I've been wanting to switch to a natural solution but nothing has worked so far. I'm planning to try Oyin's 'Funk Butter' next because I'd really like to use a natural solution but I am completely unwilling to put up with ANY bad smell so until I find a good match, I'll be sticking to Secret.

Clinical strength of any brand.

Mitchum was considered the stongest, serious deoderant when I was a youth.

Switching around might work.

Men's deoderant without antipersperant. I love one of the Old Spice ones, and it seems to last a long, long time. Not sure why, but it smells really great going on.

• Like 1

I work in pharmacy with 3 other girls. We just recently figured out that 3 of us all wear Dove Clinical and all the same Cucumber/Green tea scent. LOL The 4th, uses a natural deodorant and often has serious BO. We work shoulder to shoulder in a high stress, physically demanding (long hours that are fast paced, not heavy lifting) environment and I can honestly say that only the natural deodorant person has BO.

An important thing to pay attention to is the active ingredients. Look at the back of the one you choose. If one doesn't work then try another, but make sure it has a different active ingredient as well.

A few top choices are:

Certain Dri (aluminum chloride 12%, baking soda)

Dove Clinical (Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex Gly 17.8 )

Secret Clinical (Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex Gly (20%

Some different brands/scents are different strengths so just check the back to make sure you are comparing like products. Even though Dove is a bit lower strength that Secret, I really prefer Dove.

My teenage boys all use deoderant powders from Lush for day-to-day. One likes coconut but the rest use Greench. Acquired taste as far as smells go, that Greench. It's strong for first few minutes, but does fade. It can be messy so I re-purposed old mineral make-up containers for the boys, and most of them use a kabuki brush to apply. Two boys just use their hands.

They all play sports, and will start with Milk of Magnesia (mentioned upthread) before they leave for practice or game. Then after practice/game they freshen up with water (we leave a dedicated water sprayer in the car and each boy keeps a fresh washcloth in his sports bag, to be washed immediately with any uniform pieces) and Trader Joe's Cotton deodorant. This because it's a roll-on and less messy than a powder (or Milk of Magnesia!) to re-apply in my car. And they must freshen to ride in my car ;) but I don't care if they do or do not when riding in each other's cars LOL.

For camping and overnights with friends they just take baby wipes and the TJ Cotton deo. I tell them to use a wipe everytime they hit the john, and that keeps smell and sweat ... manageable. My boys aren't shy about letting each other know if someone's ripe.

• Like 1

We use all natural deodorants bit you may consider having her keep a pocket of tucks in her purse to wash up with and disinfect bacteria and then reapply.

Have you found one that works? I tried a couple different varieties, and I couldn't stand to be around myself. :p

Have you found one that works? I tried a couple different varieties, and I couldn't stand to be around myself. :p

Have you tried the 'funk butter' one? That seems the one I constantly see mentioned around the internet as working even for physically active people with bad BO.

I usually switch back and forth between Dove & Secret Clinical, with Certain Dri at night when I remember. I've used the Funk Butter before and it works, but it's difficult to apply well, shows on shirts easily, and can be abrasive on your armpits. I found that if I rubbed it in with a little bit of lotion then it was easier to apply and wasn't as abrasive. The little tin dries out easily which was only a problem when I ordered several at a time to save on shipping. It did work well for me though, and now that I need to switch again I may switch back for a while.

• Like 1

Guest jeagles

If your willing to go the web, there is an amazing antiperspirant available at www.Dryyyy.com

It kept me DRY for 4 months in Merida Mexico where temp and humidity were 85 for weeks. No sweat...no smell.

I am allergic to the aluminum in most antiperspirants - this has none - but i could go for days with no problem.

Jim

• 3 years later...

Has anyone tried "Fresh Kidz" deodorant for boys?  Looking for an effective but safe product for our 10-year-old to bring to sports camp, came across this online. 

My main objective is to keep him safe and smelling fresh.  If a child has BO, his life at school, camp and anywhere else with other kids is a nightmare.  My aim is to give him the best chances for a healthy psyche and for avoiding any common problems.  I well-remember being a child.    

Mitchum gel is the best IMHO. I had a lot of troubles in the past with this despite good hygeine and Mitchum is what works. They have versions for men and women. I like the baby powder fresh scent for women and for my kid mountain air scent. It also helps to wash and rinse area vigorously 3 or 4 times while in shower. I do use hibiclens about once a month there after washing with regular body wash and then rinse thoroughly. The first time I used it, I used it several days in a row to be sure to kill all bacteria there. I have heard that cleaning area with rubbing alcohol after normally washing also helps but not right after a shave.

Well, if it's a quite serious sweating issue, you might want to visit the doctor.  Both of my sisters and I have been on prescription deodorant for excessive sweating.  It's not pleasant stuff - if you use too much, you can seriously "burn" your armpits.  But once you figure out how much you need, it is so much better than switching shirts 4-6 times a day.  I think we've all been on Drysol, but there are probably others out there.

The doctor prescribed Drysol for one of my teens. It does cut down on the amount of sweat, he still wears a deodorant to control odor. We have also used something called Sweat Block(ordered on line) and had success with that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk