Menu

What to do about this pet incident?

Stayseeliz

We got a dog from the humane society on a trial basis last week. She is very sweet for the most part. We've had a few little things like chewing on something she shouldn't, etc. Not a big deal. She did growl at my 2 year old on Saturday but the 2 year old was pulling on her ear. We're working on teaching my daughter being gentle. I've been VERY careful not to leave them alone together. A little while ago I was standing in the living room and the dog was in the hallway. My 2 year old was walking around her and may have touched or bumped into her but she did NOT hurt her in any way. The dog gave a huge bark/growl and snapped at my daughter. :( She was not bitten thank goodness but I don't know what to make of this. She was just walking around her. Maybe she surprised her? I'm not sure what to do at this point but of course this makes me nervous. :(

I normally don't like the idea of taking dogs back but you don't know how this dog might have been traumatized in the past. It seems like either because of the ear pulling incident and/or because of incidents in its past, this dog doesn't do well with little children. I agree that the dog should be taken back. I applaud you for how diligent you have been with your little one and the dog.

I spent a long time on the phone with the adoption counselor at the humane society just now. She was very diplomatic with me but pretty much told me that she wasn't sure she'd risk another incident. I know she has small children too. My toddler has been gentle with the dog for the most part except for tugging on her ear the one time on Saturday. I don't know if that made her nervous around our toddler or if she just doesn't like small children at all. But she seems skittish whenever my two year old touches her at all when she isn't expecting it. Like if she touches her back and the dog hasn't seen her first. But how in the world could we keep our toddler from EVER touching her? That doesn't seem feasible. DH is ready to take her back to the humane society. I think I know it's the right thing to do but it makes me sick to think about it. :(

Hang in there. Honestly, taking her back now to try again for a good home is much better than the alternative where the scared dog actually bites and you are facing an injured child and putting the dog down.

Sending the dog back is the fair thing to do to the dog. It's sad that it didn't work out but remind yourself that this truly is the better way.

Hugs!

This dog needs to go back.

I'd wait until your child is three (or at least old enough to know what might hurt), then get a dog that is primarily hers. That way the dog has loyalty to the child and is not competing for rank with you.

There really isn't a choice. You cannot keep the dog. I've seen what this can turn into. Your child could end up scarred for life from one not very hard bite on the face. It isn't your fault, it isn't the dog's fault. The dog is telling your daughter, and you, that she is not happy with the situation. To continue to ignore that will mean the dog has to escalate. Please don't wait that long. They MAY put the dog down now, but if you wait until the dog actually bites (and she will) they WILL put the dog down for sure, and your child will end up with a possibly disfigured face. Please please take the dog back tomorrow. This is not a happy dog. Better to be put down humanely than live in fear and anxiety. I hate to say it, but dogs are being put down every day, dogs that don't bite or snap. If there aren't enough resources to go around lets save the ones that are not so traumatized.

Take the dog back and a some dogs can live happily with a 2 year old. My std poodle is about the same age as dd and he has never shown any signs of aggression to her. We work on teaching her to be gentle with him, but she isn't yet perfect at that. He was a puppy when we got him.

I would take the dog back. And honestly, with a 2 year old that's pulling ears, I probably would not get a dog at this time.

This. I know you guys want to have a dog right now. But the puppies were too much work, and your 2 year old doesn't know enough or can't stop herself from bumping into this dog. That chaotic toddler motion makes a lot of dogs nervous.

This dog would probably have had trouble with the toddler either way, but maybe this could be a sign to give it a break and wait for a while? It really isn't fair to all these dogs to be moved around like this.

Take the dog back and a some dogs can live happily with a 2 year old. My std poodle is about the same age as dd and he has never shown any signs of aggression to her. We work on teaching her to be gentle with him, but she isn't yet perfect at that. He was a puppy when we got him.

Yes. We have a large two year old dog who is patient and tolerant of my newly three year old and my newly mobile baby. She seeks them out for petting and has never, ever shown any upset when they are loud or a little too rough.

Op, you're dog is telling you she doesn't like what is going on. I'm sorry, but please listen to her before something happens.

As the owner of a dog with aggression issues, I'm telling you--take the dog back. When our dog began growling and snapping at a family member, we hired a behaviorist and a private trainer. We tried all kinds of medications and read all kinds of books. Nothing worked. In the end, after years of trying every other option, we took him to a veterinary dentist for disarming surgery. (No flames, please. It saved his life, and he's perfectly happy.) Our dog has been a member of our family for almost 13 years now, and he is *still* aggressive. We love him, but it does add quite a bit of stress to life, even though he is no longer physically capable of injuring anyone.

These things are often not quickly solved. You can *never* fully trust a dog who has shown unprovoked aggression around children (unless perhaps there is some type of underlying physical problem). She needs to go to a home without little children.

I *very* much appreciate the fact that you are taking your responsibility to the dog so seriously, but they called it a "trial" for a reason! As another poster said, you are not doing anything wrong.

I'm so sorry it didn't work out. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Agreeing with everyone that the dog needs to go back. We had to take back a rescue dog that came within inches of biting the entire head of my just pulling herself up dd. She wasn't even touching the dog, but he'd laid claim to me and didn't like dd pulling up on me while I was kneeling. It was terrifying and dh and I *still* talk about "what if" :(. Don't wait.

We did end up with a rescue puppy about 6 months later. She'll be 11 this fall. The rescue we worked with also allowed a week trial. The woman that had been fostering her litter said she really hoped that families with *young* children ended up with these puppies, which is something she typically NEVER wants. They were just the most mellow laid back puppies she had ever fostered, so such dogs do exist. Supposedly, our dog is a poodle/spaniel mix, though we'll never know for sure.

Taking the dog back is the best thing for this situation. I know you have probably become attached to her already but it isn't worth the risk that she'll actually bite your little one or someone else. It doesn't mean that she is a bad dog or that you have failed her, just that a home with small children is not a good fit for her. It also sounds like she might have some hearing issues (reacting badly to being touched if she can't see you first etc).

There are dogs out that not only get along with small children, but *love* them. Generally, I recommend that people with very small children wanting a dog get a dog from a reputable breeder (be it puppy or an older dog) just because then you know what you can expect from that dog. However, it sounds like you have found an excellent rescue to work with (willing to let you "trial' a dog, doesn't try to talk you into keeping a dog that isn't right for your family) and I'm sure they would be more than willing to let you try again.

I know you are sad and it is always heartbreaking to take an animal to a rescue, but it really is the best thing for this situation. You didn't fail the dog, she's just not right for your situation.

Yes I do realize that moving a dog is stressful to the dog. This is a wonderful dog that I've become very attached to and I'm sick over the thought of having to take her back. She has been very easy get along with but I realize that this is a deal breaker. I was literally no more than two feet away from them at the time of this incident and there is no way I could have stopped a bite from happening. It all happened so fast. DH is taking her back in the morning. I feel sick over this. :( And we aren't getting another dog anytime soon. When my youngest is much older we'll get a puppy but we will wait a good long time.

A responsible rescue will not try to pressure a family to keep a dog that may be a safety issue - that includes hinting to the family that the dog will be put down if they send it back. IMO that is manipulative. Some dogs are simply too traumatized or afraid of young kids to be in a home with young children, and a good rescue will clearly identify these dogs and if they are otherwise adoptable, offer them only to homes without young children.

Another vote for taking the dog back. If for some reason your child gets bitten and breaks skin, the dog can't be rehomed. We had a similar situation, worked with a trainer. However, the dog still wasn't comfortable around our children. The dog started biting but just leaving red warning marks. We worked with a rescue to get him a home with no children. Very stressful.

They didn't suggest that they would put her down. They said they would do a behavioral analysis to see what is going on and another physical although our vet cleared her on Friday. Maybe there is something he didn't catch. They said they couldn't make any promises but they would do everything they could to find her a name home. Prayers are appreciated for her and us today. This makes me sick to my stomach. :(

They didn't suggest that they would put her down. They said they would do a behavioral analysis to see what is going on and another physical although our vet cleared her on Friday. Maybe there is something he didn't catch. They said they couldn't make any promises but they would do everything they could to find her a name home. Prayers are appreciated for her and us today. This makes me sick to my stomach. :(

((((Stacey))))

But . . . when you say your vet "cleared" her . . . I'm guessing it was a very cursory exam. The most likely medical issues that could contribute to that type of behavior need x-rays and a blood panel to diagnose.

I know this is hard on your family. But really, from a rescue standpoint it isn't a hugely big deal. Some dogs just aren't comfortable in homes with very young kids. By taking the dog on a trial basis you've helped the humane society figure that out. It doesn't mean that the dog can't be successfully placed in an adult-only home, or a home with older kids and adults. Look on Petfinder and you'll see many dogs that are specified for adult only homes, or for homes with kids over a certain age.

Bye bye doggy. Sorry, but this will get worse or at least could get worse, and it is not worth the risk. It sounds like that dog needs an adult only home with no contact with kids. There are dogs that will lay there while kids crawl on them. We got a rescued dog that was just like that until she was old and had cancer, and then she got cranky, but my kids were older and knew to avoid her when she was in her crate.

My advice (have had dogs ALL my life) would be to take this dog back immediately. She's not a dog for little ones. Not her fault, but she just needs a home with older kids or adults only.

We adopted a dog last September. He was 7 mos old at the time, 1/2 GS and 1/2 Choc Lab. BIG BOY! This guy has been PERFECT with little kids from the get-go! My 10 YO and he play hard and never has there been a growl, nip, or snap. You can stick your hands in his food and he'll back away with tongue lolling out and ears up.

I babysit for a foster baby. He joined us at 6 weeks old (now 6 mos old). Brody, our pup, is very protective of him and extremely careful around him. If Brody is chasing the cat around the house and the baby is in his jump seat, Brody will put on the brakes and carefully tiptoe around the baby without being asked. Then he'll tear around the house again. Sometimes he will go up to the baby, nuzzle him, gently lick his face with the tip of his tongue and go about his business. The baby pulls at his ears and coat. Brody will lick his face and back away. He's never attempted to jump or lunge at the baby. He instinctively knows what behavior is safe and what is not. This is the type of dog you want around your kids.

It sounds like the dog you have has either had a bad experience with children, never been exposed to them and/or is afraid of them. Not a good scenario for the dog and definitely not for you and the kids. Give her the chance to have home with the right situation.