Menu

Could this have been a seizure?

mysticmomma

Dd (8.5) just came screaming out of her bed in a cold sweat (she was asleep) screaming she was going to fall. Then her whole body went stiff and she clenched her fists up by her armpits, her eyes rolled back into her head and she started to fall back. I grabbed her just in time and got her onto my lap and she stayed stiff as a board for another 30 seconds before she relaxed and fell asleep in my arms. She sleeping next to me on the sofa now. My first thought (out of the blue) was seizure but that seems so out of left field and like I'm overreacting. Thoughts or advice? I think I'm going to make a drs appt tomorrow anyway...

Trisha

I am not a medical person, but it does sound like a seizure to me. Hopefully it is an isolated incident, but I would seek medical attention. If your doc has a on-call service, I'd give them a call to see if it can wait till morning or if she needs to be seen now.

Poor thing!

We have had multple night terrors here with three kids. None of them presented like you described. I never saw any rigidness or eyes rolling back.

I know nothing about seizures, but it's good that you're planning a doctor's visit to be on the safe side.

I hope things are better this morning.

Is she sick now? Does she have a fever?

It could be a seizure. People have them when they first fall asleep and close to waking up.

It also could be fainting. Many times I've heard of people presenting like that.

Good luck.

Seizures are hard to differentiate between syncope sometimes when there is no shaking, only stiffness. This happened to our DD and we made an appointment with a pediatric neurologist who saw her within 2 weeks. He did a complete neurological exam and spoke with my husband who witnessed the event. We were lucky as he determined no testing was needed unless it happened again. He said he would not be able to tell if it was syncope or a seizure. It's tough because usually syncope seems like the person becomes lifeless, like a rag doll. But sometimes the person becomes stiff during the event also.

My recommendation would be to do the same and take your child to a pediatric neurologist for a proper neurological exam. The exam can provide clues if further testing is needed.

I'm sorry I missed this.

It does sound like a seizure...tonic or myoclonic. Even the slipping into sleep afterward while the body recovers.

As someone mentioned, sometimes fainting can present in a similar way, especially if the body is stressed. Both seizures and fainting are common reactions to a body under stress. Low blood sugar. Fever. Other illness.

I know you're probably not here now, but I hope things are going well at the clinic or emergency room and the doctors are finding out why your daughter is presenting these symptoms.

Dd (8.5) just came screaming out of her bed in a cold sweat (she was asleep) screaming she was going to fall. Then her whole body went stiff and she clenched her fists up by her armpits, her eyes rolled back into her head and she started to fall back. I grabbed her just in time and got her onto my lap and she stayed stiff as a board for another 30 seconds before she relaxed and fell asleep in my arms. She sleeping next to me on the sofa now. My first thought (out of the blue) was seizure but that seems so out of left field and like I'm overreacting. Thoughts or advice? I think I'm going to make a drs appt tomorrow anyway...

Trisha

Trisha,

My daughter was diagnosed with seizures 2 months before she turned 8, There is a certain juvinile epilepsy that occurs up to age 8 I think. There are different kinds of seizures.

One minute she was asleep and the next she was "of mind" and screaming of her impending fall. That's a hard one - don't know. Cold sweat - did she lose continence?

I would go to her ped and get a referral to a neurologist. Don't let them push you off. Make it known you "expect" a referral. And, please go to a "pediatric neurologist" not an adult one. It "could" be a seizure, but it could be a night terror too.

There are psychological seizures that you may want to research and so many other kinds.

It sounds more like a seizure than syncope. My 17yo has convulsive vasovagal syncope and I thought it was a seizure the first time it happened, but she was wide awake and alert afterwards. When my oldest had a seizure, she woke up for only a minute or so afterwards, just long enough to ask me why she was on the floor and everybody was looking at her (we were at the grocery store) and then she fell asleep, complete with snoring. She was also running a fever of 105 degrees, although she had given no sign of being ill until the seizure aside from having a mild sore throat. Her seizure was caused by the sudden temperature increase.

My 17yo has had several convulsive syncope episodes and the main thing I have seen about the difference between convulsive syncope and a seizure is that a seizure is completely exhausting and a person who had a seizure will often fall asleep moments after waking up from the seizure. After a convulsive syncope episode, my dd is a little disoriented for 2-3 minutes sometimes, but is completely alert and aware soon afterwards. She has had convulsive syncope as a reaction to getting up too fast in the morning (before eating anything), fasting bloodwork, and getting an injection. She also had a syncope episode from having a nightmare about getting an IV (although she made it through getting her wisdom teeth out with IV sedation without any problems and that was even fasting).

Since she fell asleep immediately afterward, I think it is quite likely that this really was a seizure.

It sounds more like a seizure than syncope. My 17yo has convulsive vasovagal syncope and I thought it was a seizure the first time it happened, but she was wide awake and alert afterwards. When my oldest had a seizure, she woke up for only a minute or so afterwards, just long enough to ask me why she was on the floor and everybody was looking at her (we were at the grocery store) and then she fell asleep, complete with snoring. She was also running a fever of 105 degrees, although she had given no sign of being ill until the seizure aside from having a mild sore throat. Her seizure was caused by the sudden temperature increase.

My 17yo has had several convulsive syncope episodes and the main thing I have seen about the difference between convulsive syncope and a seizure is that a seizure is completely exhausting and a person who had a seizure will often fall asleep moments after waking up from the seizure. After a convulsive syncope episode, my dd is a little disoriented for 2-3 minutes sometimes, but is completely alert and aware soon afterwards. She has had convulsive syncope as a reaction to getting up too fast in the morning (before eating anything), fasting bloodwork, and getting an injection. She also had a syncope episode from having a nightmare about getting an IV (although she made it through getting her wisdom teeth out with IV sedation without any problems and that was even fasting).

Since she fell asleep immediately afterward, I think it is quite likely that this really was a seizure.

I don't know though. My son has the same thing though we know it by another name and often falls asleep or has a period of disorientation post seizure. Other kids in our support group will sleep for many hours post seizure and have confusion or problems with speech and one kid has issues with movement post seizure so that alone doesn't rule out it being syncope.

Unfortunately it does sound like a seizure. She needs to be seen by a medical professional as soon as possible. Epilepsy is not something to play around with. But it is also a condition that can be managed so it's not something to panic about.

Good luck!

Elise in NC

Definitely not a vagal response. I've seen those more times than I can count.

I agree. Both my dh and my dd have vasovagal syncope episodes. In my dd's case, she just faints. In dh's case, he goes limp (faints) and then shakes. Immediately afterward they are both completely alert and coherent--there is NO sleepiness and no disorientation. Your dd's episode does not sound like that--I find the stiffness (dh and dd go limp and relaxed), the eyes rolling, and especially the sleepiness (typical seizure response, not for vs), very concerning.

Definitely not a vagal response. I've seen those more times than I can count.

Gotcha! Every vagal response to blood draws/shots that I've seen in office included the stiffening up and confusion afterwards- though it can present in other ways as well. Hope this is a one time occurrence and you don't have to deal with anything else. Good luck!

I do. This was a seizure. Having an EEG after the fact is of little concern to me. More than half of people with a seizure or seizure disorder have normal results unless the have a seizure during the test. After speaking with several neuros coupled with my gut feeling, I'm not doubting this diagnosis. Pediatrician didn't know what I thought had happened and went into it unbiased.

I do.

I'm glad you do.

Like I said good luck and I mean that with all sincerity. Epilepsy is such a life altering event, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I hope your doc is wrong. I just can't see how he or she could say with certainty it was a seizure.