Menu

I really enjoyed Call the Midwife - the series - on pbs.org too

walkermamaof4

We don't watch tv much at all. I heard about this series though and wanted to watch it. Found it on pbs.org and have really enjoyed it. Would recommend it.

If you liked this, what other series would you recommend. This was about as sad as I can take, and I don't prefer lots of gore.

I'd recommend Foyle's War, definitely! :)

http://www.pbs.org/w...iece/foyleswar/

But start with the first one, so you get to know the characters. I LOVE this series!!

I don't know the series you're referring to, OP, but I will concur with jihat7 and say that Foyle's War is excellent. We watched it through and then rewatched some of the episodes because it was just that good. Characters, setting, dialogue all done with extreme attention to detail, nothing overlooked and a very engaging story.

I just watched my last episode of Foyle's War yesterday. Excellent series, and wonderful attention to detail. The same kind of tone as CTMW, though it is a murder mystery show. The same kinds of touching portraits of people in difficult situations. I would not describe it as gory or violent or particularly sad, though of course it does include circumstances of murder and war. If you like CTMW, I think you'll like it.

Another vote for Foyle's War. My first thought when reading the OP. Both dh and I love it.

If you're looking for more of a historical medical drama: Bramwell follows a young woman struggling to be a doctor in 1895. Like the main character in Call the Midwives, she also comes from a richer family but works in the poorer sections of London.

We don't watch tv much at all. I heard about this series though and wanted to watch it. Found it on pbs.org and have really enjoyed it. Would recommend it.

If you liked this, what other series would you recommend. This was about as sad as I can take, and I don't prefer lots of gore.

"Bramwell" perhaps. This is the story of a female doctor and her struggles to be accepted as such. I have to say this though: The last two episodes (not seasons) were a stark departure from the usual quality of the series.

My hubby recorded an episode for me the other night. Is it one of those shows where I need to start from the beginning?

Another vote for Foyle's War. My first thought when reading the OP. Both dh and I love it.

If you're looking for more of a historical medical drama: Bramwell follows a young woman struggling to be a doctor in 1895. Like the main character in Call the Midwives, she also comes from a richer family but works in the poorer sections of London.

Do you know how to watch Foyle's War from the beginning? I checked PBS, but didn't see any episodes. I'd like to recommend it to my Mom (she LOVES CTMW), but they do not have Netflix.

Curious how some of you have watched the whole series already. The first season is on Netflix, but the second season is currently airing on PBS and isn't over yet.

You can watch all of the episodes from the first season and this one as soon as the day after it airs on pbs.org!

I'm watching "Land Girls" on Netflix now. No idea if it's on PBS's website, it is a BBC show.

I loved Land Girls!!!

It's only 5 or 6 episodes, so it's low commitment. Netflix streaming has it.

If you liked Call the Midwife, you'll probably like this one. Ensemble cast. More of a miniseries than self-contained episodes. You'll want to watch more than one in a sitting.

I also like Doc Martin. Not sure if it's still on Netflix, but when I watched it they had it streaming. Quite a few seasons, so more episodes to keep you going. Not a period piece, but set in a very picturesque English village,

My hubby recorded an episode for me the other night. Is it one of those shows where I need to start from the beginning?

If you are referring to Call the Midwife, then yes do watch from the beginning. It is an excellent show. There are only 6 episodes in the first season and 3 available now from season two on PBS. As far as gore we are talking very realistic births, but done pretty discretely. i.e. you see a babies head emerging from the side view, and sometimes blood etc. The story lines are pretty dramatic and varied. The content is mature in nature but not graphic. Definitely not for children.

I loved Land Girls!!!

It's only 5 or 6 episodes, so it's low commitment. Netflix streaming has it.

If you liked Call the Midwife, you'll probably like this one. Ensemble cast. More of a miniseries than self-contained episodes. You'll want to watch more than one in a sitting.

Seasons 2 and 3 are on DVD. I put a hold on them at my library.