Menu

Natural deodorant that WORKS?

HSinNH

Hello,

I am looking for a natural deodorant that actually WORKS all day and costs less than $8. Right now, we are using Arm and Hammer Natural Effects which has no parabens or aluminum, but it does have triclosan. I am not thrilled with this option either, but at least it works.

Any suggestions for me? Also, links would be much appreciated.

TIA!

Equal parts coconut oil, baking soda, and cornstarch. Add a little essential oil or something if iyou want a scent (I've used vanilla extract - an alcohol based one will contribute to the deodorizing, too).

I have not had anyone complain about me smelling, and I work in healthcare, so someone almost certainly would.

Most store-bought natural deodorants give me horrible rashes, and don't work terribly well for me. Oddly, I've never had that problem with standard antiperspirant. Burt's Bees herbal spray deodorant is the exception - it seems to work pretty well. But it's expensive, and that bottle I had clogged up, so I go with the coconut oil instead.

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B000851NEE

Ignore the marketing device that this product is for men. I have used it for several years now. Nonetheless, each person's body chemistry is individual to himself. So any given product may, or may not, work well for you. (If you read the customer feedback at the Amazon page, you will see that quickly!)

Here is a link to a representative article discussing whether or not "crystal" deoderants are safe for long-term use:

http://www.peoplesph...eodorants-safe/

P.S. I like the "recipe" shared by the poster ahead of me. I sometimes have used talc-free, cornstarch-based baby powder with very good results. Try not to laugh, but apple cider vinegar (Braggs is what I have around the house), applied "straight" works well. I first tried this myself when I could not get out to a store, and later discovered Internet mention from people who also recommend doing this.

I use coconut oil straight up.

Cornstarch seems counter-intuitive... doesn't it soak up moisture?

To be honest, thought, the coconut oil (or any natural deo) works for me only when it is fairly cool outside. Once temps get over 60 or so I do notice a smell by the afternoon. And my shirts for sure get the odor. During winter months I can get by without any smell on my clothes by the end of the day. But that's just me...

This is what I use. It's aluminum free. (Note this is for a 4-pack of them. I got it at my local grocery store for <$5. I was very very hesitant to try it because I live in Texas where it's 105* for weeks in the summer, plus the humidity. I've tried other natural deodorants and I always ended up stinky.

This stuff works!! I used it all through last summer and even in the heat of the summer being active I didn't stink or even have to reapply. The trick is that your armpits have to be WET to apply it. I put it on right after I get out of the shower. I actually have a little spray bottle and just spray a couple of sprays of water, put it on, and them I'm good to go.

Oh, and it lasts FOREVER. I've had the same one for over 9 months.

Equal parts coconut oil, baking soda, and cornstarch. Add a little essential oil or something if iyou want a scent (I've used vanilla extract - an alcohol based one will contribute to the deodorizing, too).

I have not had anyone complain about me smelling, and I work in healthcare, so someone almost certainly would.

Most store-bought natural deodorants give me horrible rashes, and don't work terribly well for me. Oddly, I've never had that problem with standard antiperspirant. Burt's Bees herbal spray deodorant is the exception - it seems to work pretty well. But it's expensive, and that bottle I had clogged up, so I go with the coconut oil instead.

I use this recipe too. I also add tree tea oil and lavender oils. They both have antibacterial properties and I like how they smell. I really need deodorant and I have never noticed a smell when I use this mix. I have been using it for over 2 years now and I love it. My dh even started using it about 6 months ago.

Milk of Magnesia.

It's actually sold as a laxative, but it's amazingly effective as a natural deodorant. The only ingredient is Magnesium Hydroxide, so you're boosting your daily magnesium intake too. ;) I started using it about 3 months ago when I discovered it via this blog post: http://wholenaturall...ural-deodorant/ I had tried about 5 different store-bought deodorants and several recipes for home-made deodorants (coconut oil, cornstarch, etc.). Nothing ever worked that well for me, but this truly works!

I bought the generic Kroger brand and paid $0.99 for a 12 oz. bottle (I've been using the same bottle for 3 months now and it's still half full).

Milk of Magnesia.

This is what I use when I forget to put on deodorant before work or my armpits are irritated (the coconut oil based stuff doesn't irritate my armpits in itself, but it does burn a bit if I have a little cut or something). I think I started after seeing you post this in another thread about natural deodorant :)

This is what I use when I forget to put on deodorant before work or my armpits are irritated (the coconut oil based stuff doesn't irritate my armpits in itself, but it does burn a bit if I have a little cut or something). I think I started after seeing you post this in another thread about natural deodorant :)

Glad it's working for you! :) And yes, I love how good it feels on my skin - very soothing.

Milk of Magnesia.

It's actually sold as a laxative, but it's amazingly effective as a natural deodorant. The only ingredient is Magnesium Hydroxide, so you're boosting your daily magnesium intake too. ;) I started using it about 3 months ago when I discovered it via this blog post: http://wholenaturall...ural-deodorant/ I had tried about 5 different store-bought deodorants and several recipes for home-made deodorants (coconut oil, cornstarch, etc.). Nothing ever worked that well for me, but this truly works!

I bought the generic Kroger brand and paid $0.99 for a 12 oz. bottle (I've been using the same bottle for 3 months now and it's still half full).

Shut the front door!!! I am going to try that! I used the natural stuff but it messed up the armpits of my t-shirts.

Shut the front door!!! I am going to try that! I used the natural stuff but it messed up the armpits of my t-shirts.

Try it! :) My advice (and I think she mentions this in the blog post I linked too) is to wait a few minutes before putting on your shirt to let it dry. That way, you're guaranteed no mess. I haven't noticed any residue on my shirts at all - even when I don't let it dry completely. But it only takes about 3 minutes to dry, so it makes sense to wait.

My friend is raving about the deodorant at Lush. I can't wait to try it: http://www.lushusa.c...ow?q=deodorants Some are a little over your price, but I'm mentioning it because I don't think anyone has talked about it here before. IMO the best part is that it's powder! I can't stand sticky/wet deodorant.

My kids and I love their products, the bath bombs are a lot of fun. :)

We're using this one until I make a trip to the Lush shop : Natural for Her http://www.iherb.com...cr&utm_medium=c

I just noticed that it has silver in it... not sure if that's good or bad. :confused:

Try it! :) My advice (and I think she mentions this in the blog post I linked too) is to wait a few minutes before putting on your shirt to let it dry. That way, you're guaranteed no mess. I haven't noticed any residue on my shirts at all - even when I don't let it dry completely. But it only takes about 3 minutes to dry, so it makes sense to wait.

Stupid question, but how do you apply it?

My friend is raving about the deodorant at Lush. I can't wait to try it: http://www.lushusa.c...ow?q=deodorants Some are a little over your price, but I'm mentioning it because I don't think anyone has talked about it here before. IMO the best part is that it's powder! I can't stand sticky/wet deodorant.

My kids and I love their products, the bath bombs are a lot of fun. :)

We're using this one until I make a trip to the Lush shop : Natural for Her http://www.iherb.com...cr&utm_medium=c

I just noticed that it has silver in it... not sure if that's good or bad. :confused:

Propylene glycol and the word Perfume are not good. Perfume can mean anything in the cometic word.

Very interesting...It almost sounds like a science experiment.

Milk of Magnesia.

Propylene glycol and the word Perfume are not good. Perfume can mean anything in the cometic word.

I don't think either company uses Propylene glycol. They both contain perfume. If I call or email the company, what questions should I ask to find out if it's "bad" or "good" perfume?

Here's Lush on their perfume: http://www.lushusa.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Lush-Site/en_US/Lushopedia-Start?iid=9537

I don't think either company uses Propylene glycol. They both contain perfume. If I call or email the company, what questions should I ask to find out if it's "bad" or "good" perfume?

Here's Lush on their perfume: http://www.lushusa.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Lush-Site/en_US/Lushopedia-Start?iid=9537

I looked up on their website the ingredients. This was the deodorant bar. If they won't disclose what the perfume is on the label, most of us who are natural wont buy it.

Looks like People's Pharmacy sells a roll-on version of MoM. However it has two ingredients that may be questionable. Ethylhexylglycerin which has a very low toxicity rating and caprylyl glycol about which not a lot is known as it is relatively new to the market. The studies that have been done show no concerns. However MoM itself contains sodium hypochlorite about which there seem to be some concerns so either way you're getting something not entirely 'natural'. But the MoM idea is pretty cool and probably your best bet short of using a homemade coconut oil version.

Tom's of Maine works really well for me in terms of odor and wetness. (Not sure why it controls wetness, though)

It also makes me really rashy. :( YMMV, but I'm back to using the regular non-natural stuff.

Me too. I googled it a while back after a friend complained about it too, and it apparently is not at all uncommon.

I looked up on their website the ingredients. This was the deodorant bar. If they won't disclose what the perfume is on the label, most of us who are natural wont buy it.

Darn. And here I thought I was natural-ish.

These type of conversations make me think of the movie The Sleeper. The Dr. says "You must understand that everyone you knew in the past has been dead nearly two hundred years." and Miles says "But they all ate organic rice!"

:lol:

Sometimes it feels like there's no winning. :)

I tried using apple cider vinegar for a few days. While it did work great in eliminating body odor, I didn't like that I smelled like apple cider vinegar. ;)

Ooo, I don't want to smell like vinegar!

I use a crystal stick and it works fine, but now I have to read the warning upthread.

I'll still give the Lush powders a try.

One of the trigger words is "phthlates". In recent years, these substances, found in all manner of "scented" products, have come under heavy fire from those who research health issues.

http://safecosmetics.org/article.php?id=290

I've used the Crystal stick with success.

I'm currently using a homemade concoction that contains: coconut oil, cocoa butter, baking soda, & essential oil. It's very effective against odor, and with the cocoa butter the baking soda isn't as irritating.

BUT I'm with the other poster who switches to commercial anti-perspirant in the summer. I can wear the natural stuff all winter long, or even in the spring/summer when I'm just at home all day. But if it's above 75 degrees and I'm going to be out & about, I switch.

I was given a sample of a "clinical strength" anti-perspirant recently. Wow, that stuff works great. But then I read that the clinical strength formulas contain even more aluminum than regular commercial deodorant. So that won't go into my regular arsenal.

I make (and use, obviously) this, but I substitute coconut oil for the shea because I have coconut oil and not shea butter. I could probably get some shea butter, but that seems like a specialty item and, really, I can't be bothered with that.

It works well enough to not smell ghastly at the gym (or after), and my husband smells fine after 24 hrs at work. The guys on his crew ask me to make it for them, too. And you control what essential oils you use.

I keep mine in a jar in the kitchen and nuke it for about 10 seconds if it gets really cold in the house. I just pull some out on my finger and rub it into my pits. :)

You may just have to try different things. The coconut oil, cornstarch, and baking soda recipe works great on me. Tom's works pretty well in cooler weather. DH tried my homemade deodorant for a week and smelled absolutely awful by the end of his experiment. It took a few showers with serious scrubbing to get rid of that B.O. Tom's works very well on him. It really just depends on your body chemistry.

My oldest reacts to all commercial deoderants. I made her one with coconut oil, Shea, cocoa butter, arrowroot powder and essential oil. It works okay. She likes to combine it with another one I made that is basically everclear and essential oils in a spray bottle. I'll see if I can find that recipe.