Menu

What did/do you "piece together" for Language Arts in the early years

BrandonMommy

I taught my son to read with Sing, Spell, Read, and Write when he was four to five. Since then, we've used Handwriting Without Tears for handwriting, First Language Lessons and Growing with Grammar for grammar, Writing With Ease and Winning With Writing for writing, All About Spelling for spelling, Sonlight Readers for school reading, and Sonlgith suggestions and our own choices for read-alouds.

That's a really hard question to answer. Basically our language arts looks like this:

Handwriting: We use HWT PK & then K to teach letter formation.

This takes us about 5 min per day. Once they've finished HWT K we move onto:

Reading Reflex: We use this to teach reading.

This takes us about 10 min per day. After they've completed the "Basic Code" section of RR we add in:

Journaling (twice weekly): Basic free journaling. I never correct them, but I provide spellings as requested.

& Early Readers (daily reading): I have a huge selection of Bob Books & early readers, so we just work at their pace. Usually one book a day.

At this point we are doing daily RR, twice-weekly journaling, and reading aloud daily. This takes us 20-ish min at the table and 20-ish min rdg aloud. Once we finish RR we add in:

Copywork (twice weekly)

Spelling (twice weekly): For spelling we work through the basic ideas of RR, but from the perspective of encoding rather than decoding (I've developed my own schedule). After we finish that then we work through the 300 most common words.

Writing (3x per week): For writing I make up a writing folder with a checklist of potential projects on one side and helpful information (the writing process, how to edit, how to form a paragraph, etc) on the right side. They choose their own writing projects and I just provide guidance (feedback as they revise, a 2nd set of eyes when they edit, mini-lessons on grammar or spelling based on where they are making errors, etc.)

& Cursive Handwriting (Daily): We use HWT 3 & 4.

At this point we are doing copywork and spelling twice weekly (alternating days), writing 3x per week, and reading daily. This takes us 30-ish min at the table. If they are reading fluently then I start letting them read independently in the afternoon instead of always reading aloud to me (Sonlight rdrs and lots of library books). After they complete my spelling program and learning the 300 most common words, we drop spelling and copywork and we increase writing to 4x per week. We give them their own private journal for their 8th birthday and drop the "school journal" at that point.

Currently my dd5 has finished HWT PK & K. She is doing a RR lesson every day, but I'm waiting until next week to start Bob Books.

Ds7 writes 3x per week, still does a school journal, is midway through learning to spell the 300 most common words, and is halfway through HWT4. He reads independently in the afternoon.

Dd8 writes 4x per week and reads independently. She can read anything, writes only in cursive, and is a very independent writer. I'm going to be moving her into MCT for some more formal Lang.Arts in the fall for 4th grade.

For my son we did 100 Easy Lessons and a few random.phonics workbooks for prek and k reading. I got easy.readers on our science history and geography topics, we took turns reading them until he could read alone and then tell me about them. Bible copy work that I put on the board.

In first grade we started, R&S grammar, Spelling Plus with dictation, what ever we wanted to read. He did some alone each day and we did a few books together.

This year we do the above with added homophone study, McGuffey readers, and Latin.

Here is our general schedule (two grades are listed because my DC have been ready for the materials at different ages):

PreK/K: ETC primers, phonics flashcards and letter games

K/1st: McGuffey primer, ETC or MCP (just started this program with DD instead of ETC), plus extra readers

1st/2nd: McGuffey 1st reader, extra readers (frog and toad, CLP nature readers, Beginner's Bible etc.)

2nd/3rd: McGuffey 2nd reader, Cheerful Cursive, independent reading

I start copywork in 1st grade from various sources. We do narration using readings from history, McGuffey readers, science, and some of their literature books. We've done a bit of light grammar with R&S 2/3, PLL/ILL, and Grammar Land (not all at the same time). I add this for 2nd and 3rd. We start spelling with dictation in 4th grade. I've used other materials, but these are the ones I've used the most and keep coming back to. I may add a bit of writing for DS next year (he'll be in 3rd grade). DD is using Write On, so we'll probably start that. We also do some notebooking for history and science.

K-1st: Phonics Road level 1 (now I appy what i learned from that program to the spelling lists in SWR)

Handwriting Without Tears (now I'm using Joy of Handwriting-cursive for my new Ker),

Copywork from literature here at home, after they learn how to write well

Narration from history, science, and religion,

Memory work using poetry and scriptures,

Reading practice beginning in Bob Books, then OPG & Mcguffey Readers, then Little House in the Big Woods.

2nd: Prima Latina

Spelling/dication just using SWR

Copywork from literature here at home

Narration from history, science, and religion

Memory work using poetry and scriptures

Reading books silently/daily, oral reading to younger siblings 2Xs/week

3rd: Latina Christiana I

Spelling/dictation just using SWR

Copywork from literature here at home

Narration from history, science, and religion

Memory work using poetry and scriptures

Reading books silently/daily, oral reading to younger siblings 2Xs/week

For language arts in grades 1-4 I used :

Grade 1

Copywork (homemade)

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

Oral narration of history, science, other reading

We did not go grammar, spelling, or dictation

Grade 2

Writing with Ease level 1

First Language Lessons levels 1 and 2

Finished OPGTR and read leveled readers from the library

Oral narration

Spelling-Zaner-Bloser's free spelling lists, beginning with grade 2 lists

Cursive handwriting--I made my own

Grade 3

Writing with Ease level 2

First Language Lessons 3

ZB spelling lists grade 3

Oral narration

Morning basket--mythologies, fairy tales, Bible, poetry

Assigned silent reading 30 minutes daily

Grade 4

Writing With Ease level 3

No grammar this year--instead we are focusing on Latin and keeping our grammar fresh there. We will start again next year with R&S 5.

ZB spelling lists grade 4

Morning basket-same as last year

Assigned silent reading 1 hr per day. I am beginning to require oral narrations of what he reads daily in anticipation of stepping up the literature aspect next year.

Throughout all the years, I read aloud copiously.

Phonics:

My plan is that the kids will learn the first 26 phonograms in preschool and the rest in K at a pace of 2 per week. There is a free list of phonograms in the Essentials section of classicalconversations.com. Click on the bookstore link and then on Essentials. Then click on the Essentials guide and the link for samples. Scroll almost to the end and there will be a page of all the phonograms. Use this to make flashcards. Flash the cards every day and have them say the sounds. Then call out the sounds and have them write them. Only do 30 a day so start dropping off two that they know each week. When they know them all, test all of them every day until they do 100% two times in a row. Have them make a phonogram book with a key word and picture for each sound (as listed on the phonogram page I mentioned). This will give them a visual image. They can make this as they go along. After they have mastered these, they can just review 3 per week in grades 1-6. By the way, the phonograms I mentioned are based on the WRTR but not exactly the same. They can make a chart or keep a spelling dictionary/journal using the sample pages I mentioned of all the ways a sound can be written and all the sounds each phonogram can make. (Sound to Symbol, Symbol to Sound).

Spelling:

In grades 1-3 they can learn one spelling rule per week in the guide I mentioned. There are 24 of them. Then in grades 4-6 they can learn the advanced rules doing one per week and breaking rule 39 into several weeks. In grades 1, 3, and 5 I would use the lists in the free samples and use the rules they give to introduce spelling rules (level a for 1st, b for 3rd, and c for 5th). Then in grades 2, 4, and 6 I would use the Dictation Resource Book to dictate sentences and paragraphs to them using the same level as the year before. When they do level b they should review level a as well, etc. This way one year they are working on mastering the words and the next year they are working on applying those words to writing sentences. The dictation would be their daily lesson but they would work on any missed words. The lists come from Spelling Plus but are posted in the guide for free with the spelling rules and markings. They could make a chart for each rule they learn listing example words.

Grammar:

Foundations and Essentials guides plus the Dictation Resource Book and Homophones Book. (Homophones for each spelling level are also listed in the guide). Punctuation and capitalization and prefixes and suffixes are also listed free in the guide (though it doesn't give you examples or exercises unless you purchase the guide). The foundations guide will give you the English grammar for all grades and you can buy a download of the mastery charts for 4th-6th grade or the Trivium Tables to help but you probably will still need the guide. Joining for one year would be worth it for this reason if one can't find a used copy. Our Mother Tongue and/or Garlic Press Grammar Book (sold at CC) could be good substitues otherwise but I would still have them memorize the charts.

Writing:

Teach them manuscript using phonogrampage.com or The Writing Road to Reading and some lined paper (5/8" lines for beginners). Teach this in preschool. In K use PreScripts Letters and Coloring (from CC) to teach cursive letters but give them copywork made free on worksheetworks.com and put in sentences from the Bob Book they are reading. When they get to the McGuffey Readers just make pages for the slatework selections that appear periodically. Use PreScripts Sentences in grades 1-6 and Words in grades 1-3 and Passages in 4-6. Start IEW in 1st grade with Bible Heroes. Do level A books in 2nd and 3rd grade (All Things Fun and Fascinating or Fables, Myths, and Fairy Tales). In 4th-6th grade do one of the three history theme-based books that goes with your history studies. (American History Vol. 2 is high school level). Teach letter writing, outlining, and bibliographies with the Dictation Resource Book and have them write journal entries the rest of the year after that.

Vocabulary:

Have them practice the vocab words in the IEW book each week. They can do the quiz in a page protector each day and take the test at the end of the week. Study Greek and Latin and have them define the derivatives using Latin's Not So Tough and Hey Andrew (which have derivative lists starting in level 3 in the full answer key). The Dictation Resource Book also has Greek and Latin roots in it but they don't tell you which is which and only give a few example words for each. McGuffey Readers also give word definitions from the third reader on up I believe. I have not decided how to use these yet.

Reading:

Use the Bob Book Pre-Reading and Alphabet sets in preschool. Do one book a week over and over. In K start the Bob Book sets. Dictate the words from the book to them and help them spell them and mark them (leave a space between syllables, underline multi-letter phonograms, write the number above it if it isn't the first sound, double underline silent letters, etc.) Then have them read the words to you. Then have them read the book to you and copy the sentences you made using worksheetworks.com. When they finish them, have them start a daily reading time on their own using Veritas Press primers and literature books and Dr. Seuss books, etc. They can draw a picture and dictate a narration to you after each one. They can read to you daily from the McGuffey Eclectic Primer by first reading the word list, then listening to you read the lesson with proper expression, and then reading it to you. Make sure they don't skip words or disregard punctuation. If they have trouble with a word help them mark it first. If they make more than 2 mistakes they have to repeat that lesson. Continue doing one McGuffey Book a year this way. In first grade add in the McCall Harby book (from Spalding Method) and do one three minute comprehension test a day. Teach them the mental action terms and have them fill in a chart like the answer key has for each story showing the point of view and main idea, etc. (This may start in Book A). Do one book a year through 6th grade like this. Answer sheets for this are also available at Spalding Method's website. This will give you a reading level. Use Veritas Press literature selections to have them read 30 minutes a day. Have them make a notebook page after each book. Teach them literature terms (a few every week) using Teaching the Classics and have them use the socratic questions to guide their narrations. Teach them to make a story chart like the one in Teaching the Classics and have them complete one after each book in grades 4-6. This gives them solid instruction in expression, fluency, literary analysis, and comprehension strategies. It also gives you a reading level to work from in choosing books. A book's reading level can be found out at scholastic.com/bookwizard. I put the VP list in order that way. Another great place for a literature list by grade level can be found in the Writing Road to Reading (I compiled the lists from the 4th-6th editions because I own them all, but generally newberry and caldecott books are what they list).

Poetry:

Use IEW's Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization. Memorize Level 1 by the end of grade 3 and level 2 by the end of grade 6 doing about one stanza a week for 24 weeks and constantly reviewing. Read to them from poetry anthologies as listed in the back and read Mother Goose in preschool and K.

Read aloud:

Use the lists from Teaching the Classics and A Thomas Jefferson Education. Do picture books for grades 1 and below and chapter books for grades 2-6 (and above). Don't forget poetry as mentioned above. If time, read aloud books related to your science and history studies but don't neglect the classics for these. Books by John Hudson Tiner and Gary Parker do an excellent job of tying science and history together. Make sure to read them inspiring biographies as well. Vision Forum and YWAM Publishing have wonderful books for this as does Veritas Press.

Phonics:

My plan is that the kids will learn the first 26 phonograms in preschool and the rest in K at a pace of 2 per week. There is a free list of phonograms in the Essentials section of classicalconversations.com. Click on the bookstore link and then on Essentials. Then click on the Essentials guide and the link for samples. Scroll almost to the end and there will be a page of all the phonograms. Use this to make flashcards. Flash the cards every day and have them say the sounds. Then call out the sounds and have them write them. Only do 30 a day so start dropping off two that they know each week. When they know them all, test all of them every day until they do 100% two times in a row. Have them make a phonogram book with a key word and picture for each sound (as listed on the phonogram page I mentioned). This will give them a visual image. They can make this as they go along. After they have mastered these, they can just review 3 per week in grades 1-6. By the way, the phonograms I mentioned are based on the WRTR but not exactly the same. They can make a chart or keep a spelling dictionary/journal using the sample pages I mentioned of all the ways a sound can be written and all the sounds each phonogram can make. (Sound to Symbol, Symbol to Sound).

Spelling:

In grades 1-3 they can learn one spelling rule per week in the guide I mentioned. There are 24 of them. Then in grades 4-6 they can learn the advanced rules doing one per week and breaking rule 39 into several weeks. In grades 1, 3, and 5 I would use the lists in the free samples and use the rules they give to introduce spelling rules (level a for 1st, b for 3rd, and c for 5th). Then in grades 2, 4, and 6 I would use the Dictation Resource Book to dictate sentences and paragraphs to them using the same level as the year before. When they do level b they should review level a as well, etc. This way one year they are working on mastering the words and the next year they are working on applying those words to writing sentences. The dictation would be their daily lesson but they would work on any missed words. The lists come from Spelling Plus but are posted in the guide for free with the spelling rules and markings. They could make a chart for each rule they learn listing example words.

Grammar:

Foundations and Essentials guides plus the Dictation Resource Book and Homophones Book. (Homophones for each spelling level are also listed in the guide). Punctuation and capitalization and prefixes and suffixes are also listed free in the guide (though it doesn't give you examples or exercises unless you purchase the guide). The foundations guide will give you the English grammar for all grades and you can buy a download of the mastery charts for 4th-6th grade or the Trivium Tables to help but you probably will still need the guide. Joining for one year would be worth it for this reason if one can't find a used copy. Our Mother Tongue and/or Garlic Press Grammar Book (sold at CC) could be good substitues otherwise but I would still have them memorize the charts.

Writing:

Teach them manuscript using phonogrampage.com or The Writing Road to Reading and some lined paper (5/8" lines for beginners). Teach this in preschool. In K use PreScripts Letters and Coloring (from CC) to teach cursive letters but give them copywork made free on worksheetworks.com and put in sentences from the Bob Book they are reading. When they get to the McGuffey Readers just make pages for the slatework selections that appear periodically. Use PreScripts Sentences in grades 1-6 and Words in grades 1-3 and Passages in 4-6. Start IEW in 1st grade with Bible Heroes. Do level A books in 2nd and 3rd grade (All Things Fun and Fascinating or Fables, Myths, and Fairy Tales). In 4th-6th grade do one of the three history theme-based books that goes with your history studies. (American History Vol. 2 is high school level). Teach letter writing, outlining, and bibliographies with the Dictation Resource Book and have them write journal entries the rest of the year after that.

Vocabulary:

Have them practice the vocab words in the IEW book each week. They can do the quiz in a page protector each day and take the test at the end of the week. Study Greek and Latin and have them define the derivatives using Latin's Not So Tough and Hey Andrew (which have derivative lists starting in level 3 in the full answer key). The Dictation Resource Book also has Greek and Latin roots in it but they don't tell you which is which and only give a few example words for each. McGuffey Readers also give word definitions from the third reader on up I believe. I have not decided how to use these yet.

Reading:

Use the Bob Book Pre-Reading and Alphabet sets in preschool. Do one book a week over and over. In K start the Bob Book sets. Dictate the words from the book to them and help them spell them and mark them (leave a space between syllables, underline multi-letter phonograms, write the number above it if it isn't the first sound, double underline silent letters, etc.) Then have them read the words to you. Then have them read the book to you and copy the sentences you made using worksheetworks.com. When they finish them, have them start a daily reading time on their own using Veritas Press primers and literature books and Dr. Seuss books, etc. They can draw a picture and dictate a narration to you after each one. They can read to you daily from the McGuffey Eclectic Primer by first reading the word list, then listening to you read the lesson with proper expression, and then reading it to you. Make sure they don't skip words or disregard punctuation. If they have trouble with a word help them mark it first. If they make more than 2 mistakes they have to repeat that lesson. Continue doing one McGuffey Book a year this way. In first grade add in the McCall Harby book (from Spalding Method) and do one three minute comprehension test a day. Teach them the mental action terms and have them fill in a chart like the answer key has for each story showing the point of view and main idea, etc. (This may start in Book A). Do one book a year through 6th grade like this. Answer sheets for this are also available at Spalding Method's website. This will give you a reading level. Use Veritas Press literature selections to have them read 30 minutes a day. Have them make a notebook page after each book. Teach them literature terms (a few every week) using Teaching the Classics and have them use the socratic questions to guide their narrations. Teach them to make a story chart like the one in Teaching the Classics and have them complete one after each book in grades 4-6. This gives them solid instruction in expression, fluency, literary analysis, and comprehension strategies. It also gives you a reading level to work from in choosing books. A book's reading level can be found out at scholastic.com/bookwizard. I put the VP list in order that way. Another great place for a literature list by grade level can be found in the Writing Road to Reading (I compiled the lists from the 4th-6th editions because I own them all, but generally newberry and caldecott books are what they list).

Poetry:

Use IEW's Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization. Memorize Level 1 by the end of grade 3 and level 2 by the end of grade 6 doing about one stanza a week for 24 weeks and constantly reviewing. Read to them from poetry anthologies as listed in the back and read Mother Goose in preschool and K.

Read aloud:

Use the lists from Teaching the Classics and A Thomas Jefferson Education. Do picture books for grades 1 and below and chapter books for grades 2-6 (and above). Don't forget poetry as mentioned above. If time, read aloud books related to your science and history studies but don't neglect the classics for these. Books by John Hudson Tiner and Gary Parker do an excellent job of tying science and history together. Make sure to read them inspiring biographies as well. Vision Forum and YWAM Publishing have wonderful books for this as does Veritas Press.

Phonics:

Spelling:

Grammar:

Writing:

Vocabulary:

Reading:

Poetry:

Read aloud:

Phonics:

Spelling:

Grammar:

Writing:

Vocabulary:

Reading:

Poetry:

Read aloud:

Phonics:

Spelling:

Grammar:

Writing:

Vocabulary:

Reading:

Poetry:

Read aloud:

For those that don't use an all-in-one curriculum, what do you use to make a complete "package" for Language Arts in the early K-3 years that worked or is working well?

There's nothing negative about choosing things from different sources to teach phonics, penmanship, spelling/vocabulary, grammar, and composition. :-) Most of us have never found a single source that we like, or that our children like and respond well to.

I like Spalding for teaching children how to read and spell (and penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, simple writing), although there are a number of other products/methods which do job of teaching children to read and spell. :-)

I like Spelling by Sound and Structure for children 9 and up (if they haven't done Spalding).

I like Writing Strands and Understanding Writing.

I like Zaner Bloser for penmanship (if the dc haven't done Spalding).

I like Easy Grammar.

i never considered using a boxed curriculum. So far these have worked well for us:

Phonics Pathways, Bob books and real books for learning to read.

Real, living books from many lists including VP, Sonlight and suggestions from here. RA daily.

Writing with Ease - we jumped in at level 2 in 2nd and that was fine. Just did copy work from our reading in 1st. DD will do WWE3 next year and add in IEW the second half of the year.

All About Spelling

FLL for grammar. Again, we jumped in at level 2 in 2nd and that was fine.

HWT for printing and NAC for cursive. I have two lefties.

Memory work (do you consider this LA?) - Bible, catechism, hymns, poetry (We use the IEW lists as a starting point and add our own selections as we go along.), lists from science, history, geography etc.

Oldest taught himself to read, so he did FLL and WWE and a bit of HWT, plus AAS when he was 1st grade. Now he uses R&S English, WWE/IEW (altnernated), Pentime, and R&S Spelling.

Second kid is using Phonics Pathways for phonics, and in 1st grade next year he'll use FLL and WWE, plus Pentime. I'll add R&S Spelling in 2nd grade, most likely.

For reading, we started with 100 Easy Lessons and switched it out for Phonics Pathways. 2/3 of the way through PP, we switched to McGuffrey's 2nd Reader, 1-2 lessons per week, plus buddy reading a "real" book (right now, doing My Father's Dragon, which DS has already heard read several times). This has worked really well. For my DD, we have started right off with PP, as I've come to think of 100 Easy Lessons as being a bit gimmicky and not very solid.

Spelling- We're about to begin AAS1. I plan to go through a bit faster with my son, and go slowly with my DD to reinforce her reading lessons.

Writing- Right now, just homemade copywork from our read-alouds. I count this as HW practice as well. To teach letter formation, I used Petersen Directed HW. Probably about mid-1st grade (by age, so, in 6 months or so), I will switch to "true" copywork, where he is copying from a sample on another page and not just copying on the line below my writing, and we will start a bit of dictation. We are also working in some of the Bravewriter writing lifestyle ideas- poetry tea, free write Friday, etc. I plan to start MCT in 3rd.

Grammar- Grammar land with the free worksheets, then MCT in 3rd.

Lit- read alouds from good classic children's books, plus a good background in all the big myths, fairy tales, etc.

We do oral narration, CM style, but we have really just started, since DS just turned 6.

This past year, we used Reading Eggs for reading instruction, Zaner-Bloser workbooks for handwriting (I bought the kindergarten workbooks for handwriting, spelling, and the old composition/writing one, but they were all basically writing letters and simple words), make up sentences for copywork (I use the Zaner-Bloser web app that makes handwriting worksheets for that). We're working through First Language Lessons 1. I have a bunch of old school readers (1 is McGuffey's, 1 is a textbook from the 80s, and 1 is a textbook from the 90s: both of the latter have well chosen early readers with beautiful illustrations reprinted, with an activity or discussion questions at the end of each story), as well as a ton of early readers that she reads to me. We also use Wordly Wise, which she likes because on her end it's coloring and cutting and pasting, but IMO is kind of a waste of time.

Reading: All 3 girls learned to read well with "Reader Rabbit 1" and "Reader Rabbit's Interactive Reading Journey," which were wildly successful but not apparently used by any other homeschooler I've ever met. I don't even know if one can buy them anymore.

Catholic National Readers (like McGuffey's) for later reading and spelling practice.

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears for printing. For the one with infinite patience and excellent motor control, cursive with Peterson Directed Handwriting.

Composition: 2 of the 3 have done very well with LLATL for K-3, used one or even two books ahead of purported reading level. Middle Girl has successfully used Galore Park's Junior English for grades 2-4.

And I've mined Primary and Intermediate Language Lessons for useful writing material.

I have to piece together since my kids don't ever work at the same level in any two things. So far this is what we are doing, but I'm not sure dd will do the same plan as ds since they are two very different kids, with very different abilities.

DS:

HWT - 2nd grade

Evan Moor Skill Sharpeners Spell and Write - 3rd grade

(we were doing AAS but he didn't like it since it was too easy and just jumping ahead didn't work, he's a natural speller)

Evan Moor Daily Reading Comprehension - 4th grade

Brave Writer - The Wand starting a Level 2

Brave Writer - Jot It Down

journaling, writing stories, daily independent reading

(He was doing Spectrum Language Arts for Grammar until recently, and is just finishing up Spectrum Writing. We are transitioning into doing Grammar through Brave Writer with a little extra in his SS Spell and Write)

DD:

HWT K

OPGTR (currently on Lesson 49)

ETC2

daily reading time mostly with Dr. Seuss type books

I tried to start The Wand with her and she wasn't ready. I expect to start it in September, as well as AAS1.

She will sit in on our Jot It Down activities, we are starting with the Fairy Tale activities.

Well, it hasn't looked identical in practice, but the theory is basically the same so far.

Kindergarten: phonics and handwriting with good literature (dd: Abeka phonics and HWOT; ds: AAR and HWOT; both used SL lists for lit.)

First grade: finish phonics, spelling, writing, handwriting, grammar (dd: finish Abeka phonics 1/SL grade 2/3 readers, AAS 1-2, WWE 1, FLL1, HWOT 1; ds (plan): AAR 2 finish (finish with OPGTR), WWE text/Jot it Down, HWOT 1, AAS 1-2, FLL1

2nd grade: reading, spelling, writing, handwriting, grammar (dd: SL readers, AAS 3-4, WWE 2, ZB cursive, FLL2) I imagine ds' 2nd grade will look similar except for writing since we are moving into more of a WWE/BW combo, and he will do another year of print instead of cursive.

3rd grade: (plan for dd) reading, spelling, writing, grammar, handwriting (SL core D readers, AAS (???), WWE/BW combo, FLL3, copywork

WE begin with short lessons from two programs then keep adding more programs and time.

We start with 100 Easy lessons and kumon for handwriting/letter formation

At lesson 50 of 100 Easy lessons we add Go Phonics readers we continue these until we finish all Go Phonics readers

At lesson 80 we start ETC and continue through until we finish the series.

At the end of 100 we move to AAR readers, Evan Moor handwriting, WWE 1, FLL 2, and a range of spelling programs (see list in sig.).

Phonics:

Oldest DD used The Writing Road to Reading + BOB Books. DS used Hooked on Phonics K-2 kit + BOB Books

Grammar:

Oldest DD used a condensed version of FLL 1/2, then a mishmash of stuff until she was ready for MCT "town" and Killgallon Story Grammar. DS had zero retention when I tried to use FLL with him, so I did grammar informally using Schoolhouse Rock, Mad Libs, and Brian P. Cleary picture books until he was ready for MCT "island".

Spelling:

Oldest DD is a "natural" speller and I didn't do formal spelling until she was in 3rd and specifically asked for it. I did a quick run-through of Spelling Power then switched her to spelling bee prep materials. I started DS in AAS1 after he finished HOP.

Penmanship:

HWoT, copywork in WWE1, then MP New American Cursive.

Youngest DS currently grade 3

Phonics- Hooked on Phonics, Master Reader, ETC bks 1-8, Bob Books, Early Chapter Books, Pathway Readers, Sonlight List.

Handwriting- Zaner Bloser Books, Copywork

WWE 1&2

Grammar- FLL 1&2, The Sentence Family(3rd grade), Mad Libs, School House Rock, Cleary books.

Spelling-AAS 1 &2 ( moving into 3)

What we did and what we would do if given the opportunity is not the same. I'll give you both.

What we did:

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

Zaner-Bloser Handwriting

Spelling Workout

First Language Lesson

Reading aloud from the literature lists in the WTM

Most of these things worked well for us.

What we would do now:

We loved OPG. Both my boys learned to read really well using it. I would relax a bit more about it now. We ended up finishing this in 4th grade which stressed me out at the time but it was totally fine.

Zaner-Bloser Handwriting I wouldn't use again. It worked out fine, however, neither of my boys ever really learned cursive. We tried but.... I would use something to learn cursive first (wouldn't bother teaching print).

I would be more disciplined using Spelling Workout. We fell behind on that because we dropped it on and off. In hindsight I wish I would have just insisted on doing a page a day all the time.

I would not bother with Grammar again in K-2. In Grade 3 I would pick up on First Language Lessons Level 3.

I would use WWE from Level 1-4. This was not available to us when my boys were that age.

Hopefully some of this helps.

Phonics:

Ordinary ParentĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Guide to Teaching Reading

A little Explode the Code. Oldest hated it. Second son likes it a bit more. WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re using just Book 4 which covers the rules of syllabification better than OPGTR.

Spelling: I havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t found anything we love. We used Spelling Workout with oldest through book C or D. He hated it. I switched to Spelling Power which worked a little better for him. This year weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve dropped formal spelling and I have him look up words he misspells in any writing he does and learn that way. He is never going to be a natural speller or even a good speller. But then, neither am I. My goal is to get him to the Ă¢â‚¬Å“I can tell itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s wrong and I need to look it upĂ¢â‚¬ stage.

Second son is using Spelling Workout and likes it a lot. HeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s more of a natural speller.

Handwriting: We used Handwriting without Tears. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s ok. I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t love it but it gets the job done. Neither have particularly pretty handwriting but itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s legible.

Grammar: FLL 1 and 2. We went to MCT in third grade for my oldest which he loves and is a great fit for him. I have FLL 3 and 4 and have used parts of them that arenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t covered as explicitly in MCT. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d do that if I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t already own the books.

Writing; WWE, weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve used Levels 1-4. Neither boy loves it but I think it is a great program and I see the results.

WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve never done literature analysis. I just have my oldest read books and we talk about them. This year heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s had to write more essays about what heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s read.

Poetry: They always have a poem that they are working on memorizing.

You'll get a huge variety of answers for this, but what has worked for us...

Handwriting: HWT in k and 1st. Dd asked for cursive, so we started HWT Cursive halfway through first grade.

Will continue both cursive instruction and copy work (as well as print) through the next few years.

Writing: WWE starting in 1st.

Planning on using it for at least two years. Will reevaluate after WWE 2 next year.

Grammar: FLL . Planning on using through all four levels.

Phonics: We tried several things but OPGTR worked really well for dd1. Using All about Reading for dd2 and plan on using this for the younger siblings in our family as long as it works for each of them. I'm definitely keeping my copy of OPGTR though in case we need it!

For teaching reading to the oldest 2, I used: ETC (starting with a,b,c books), HOP and readers I picked up from school sales (so many readers out there are not really good for phonics instruction).

AAS for spelling and copywork I made up.

For grammar I used some evan-moor books, some Shurely, but think I will stick to Easy Grammar for oldest, and FLL for DD6. (although I am considering looking at Simply Grammar for DD6 and KISS for DS8). DS GETS Grammar (like me LOL), but DD6 is not there yet.

For literature I just read aloud a lot and talk about it with them.

For poetry, I am enjoying "Music of the Hemispheres" by MCT.

For 1st grade we did FLL/WWE and then GWG and WWW started AAS, ETC, and lots of reading

For 2nd grade - FLL/WWE, AAS, KISS grammar, ETC

This summer I may do a quick review with LofE to make sure we have covered it all before going on to MCT

For 3rd grade - we will be doing FLL/WWE, AAS, KISS, MCT Island, and cursive writing

Some of it has been redundant - in hindsight ETC wasn't effective for my kiddos and the GWG and WWW are great programs but too workbooky for our tastes. My kids LOVE AAS so we will continue that and FLL/WWE has been easy and gets done.

• 1 month later...

We used OPGTR for phonics and after that just turned to readers - mostly from Sonlight's lists.

Handwriting I taught without a curriculum after some consultation with teachers around here - handwriting is well taught where I live - possibly one of the few things that is actually well done in our public schools (or at least it was).

Spelling I am doing dictation with my DD - I teach her a spelling rule and then give her a sentence a day that practices that rule - that way she has also learnt the most common sight words simply because they come up in her spelling sentences so frequently. A search on the internet and access to some phonics books has enabled me to make my spelling curriculum as well as taking my own DDs minimal need for repetition into consideration.

Grammar I have done very little up til now - we started with a free online scholastic grammar book, but much of grammar aimed at 1st graders is terribly repetitious (too much so for my DD) so we will probably pick up with KISS grammar when she is a bit older.

Reading Comprehension: WWE using the teachers textbook only, Reading for the Gifted Student Grade 1

Writing: WWE style as well as own journal writing, copywork and narrations.

My DD is only in K right now though working at a higher level, so what we will do as time goes by remains to be seen.