Menu

Ack! Need Easter basket ideas!!!

Just Kate

My kiddos are 9 yo boy and 5.5 yo girl. I desperately need ideas for what to put in their baskets this year. I will do a tiny bit of candy, but other than that...I'm stumped! We are Christian and I usually like to include something (a book or a movie) that is Christian related, but frankly this year I just can't think of anything. What are you putting in your kids' baskets??? Inspiration needed. :D

Don't really have anything yet except ideas, but I'm thinking of stuff I would probably be getting anyway for summer:

flip-flops

shorts

tee

summer jammies

pinwheels (they still like these--put them in the garden)

bubbles (yes, still at their ages)

maybe new sidewalk chalk

plus the usual--chocolate, something in plastic eggs, etc.

Don't really have anything yet except ideas, but I'm thinking of stuff I would probably be getting anyway for summer:

flip-flops

shorts

tee

summer jammies

pinwheels (they still like these--put them in the garden)

bubbles (yes, still at their ages)

maybe new sidewalk chalk

plus the usual--chocolate, something in plastic eggs, etc.

This^

Also beach things. Towels, suits, sand kits, etc.

I did a garden theme one year--gloves, trowels, flower seeds. We planted them Easter afternoon. As others have mentioned, I have also done summer themes. My baseball fanatic got a baseball-themed basket one year, including his favorite Jelly Bellies in the colors of his favorite baseball team, which is especially appropriate as opening day is just after Easter.

Terri

We always do a toothbrush and toothpaste (the christmas ones generally need replacing by easter), candy, a book, a movie, video game or cd, a clothing item of some kind (this year will be fun socks but it has been underwear, sweaters, swimsuits, etc) and a couple of small toys or fun things. I have done matchbox cars, littlest pet shop, craft kits, barbies, thomas trains, schleich animals, small lego sets, swim goggles, lip gloss, hair accessories, nail polish, trading cards, etc.

This year DD is getting:

Candy (a little bit - maybe two pieces or a small bag)

Rosary

A picture book

A Playmobil Easter Egg

In years past she's also gotten:

A really nice cross necklace that she wears everyday now

Swimsuit

Schliech

Movie

Dress

It's interesting to hear different traditions. We just do candy because it is a symbol of the sweetness of Christ. Sometimes we put in a little toy, like a wind-up chick or something, when they are small, and we've done devotionals, too. But it isn't a second Christmas or anything for us. We have a separate basket for the eggs we dye the day before, and a family basket, which is really just candy for duh and me, along with each kid's individual basket. We only do Easter candy, too, not plain stuff. That's just us--like I said, I enjoy hearing other ideas!

ETA-that's dear husband, not duh! Lol--auto-fill-in.

Our kids are each getting books they've been wanting and chocolate and jelly bellys.

Each child is also receiving an item related to their activity. Shin guards for my son, funky soccer socks for my daughter, leotard for youngest daughter.

Also something little--lego minifigures for son, drawing pencils for daughter and earrings for youngest.

We have a beagle who we dress up as the easter beagle (like the Charlie Brown episode :)) and he "helps" deliver the baskets.

We're doing chocolate (of course!) and those neat chocolate eggs that are made in Germany - the ones that have toys inside. We also have edible grass this year, but in years past I have done playsilks or even fun washcloths to line the baskets. I bet shirts or jammies would work great for that, too!

So far this year, each kiddo has a book, a gardening toy (9 year old has a root viewer kit, 1 year old has a watering can), and a few other small toys. Playmobil eggs are usually big hits. DS usually has an audiobook in his, too (Jim Weiss, etc).

Watching this thread for more ideas...

Similar things as everyone else:

BOYS-

Uno cards

squirt gun

a plastic egg with money inside

stickers

new watercolor paints

modeling clay or play dough

---------------

GIRLS-

beanie baby

nail polish

bracelet

chapstick

sidewalk chalk

colorful gel pens

Also check Christian Book Distributors (cbd.com) for some cute religious/Easter gifts for kids...

Our "baskets" are not really baskets but are a bag, box, or container of some sort. In the past we have done 5 gallon buckets (for holding nerf guns and swords), cake keeper (for 4H cakes), shoe bags (for track), mesh laundry bags (for those going to first year of camp), storage ottomans, backpacks, rubbermaid totes, game piece organizers, etc. This year all of the kids are getting new duffle bags to use for their sports gear and for our family trip this summer. All of the kids will get several packs of gum, a few Russel Stover eggs, a chocolate bunny, and peeps. Individually they are getting:

16 year old son- duct tape, iphone case, green shoe laces, travel toiletries, Chick fil a gift card

15 year old son- PEZ, droid case, red shoe laces, travel toiletries, Chick fil a gift card

12 year old son- Legos, Hobbit movie, Star Wars Angry Birds bandaids, doodle book

10 year old daughter- mini erasers, beading kit, nail polish, journal and pen

I've never heard of doing an easter basket. I just thought the point of the basket was to collect eggs from the easter egg hunt!

Really??? That is fascinating to me! Where did you grow up? Where do you live? You haven't seen the big pre-made baskets in the grocery stores, wrapped in cellophane?

It's always so interesting to me how different traditions vary from region to region.

I always picked up spring themed items: kites or glider planes, sidewalk chalk, bubbles and the like. Dd still has the pair of white gloves she got one year. And I will confess that one of those math wrap-ups to learn the multiplication tables got in there one year. lol

Oh, and I found one of those little booklets that you rub a pencil over the whole thing to find the picture one year at the christian book store! Check there for some odds and ends, too--bookmarks, a cover for their Bible, etc.

a family basket, which is really just candy for duh and me

ETA-that's dear husband, not duh! Lol--auto-fill-in.

LOL. I first read your line as, "...a family basket, which is really just candy for -- duh -- me." ;) I figured you were a woman who knew how to appreciate chocolate & to celebrate properly w/ candy. :lol:

Our "baskets" are not really baskets but are a bag, box, or container of some sort.

That's what I often did when the dc were younger. One year, they had cute rice bowls (pale yellow w/ bunnies on them) filled w/ small chocolates. We also did neat small wooden bowls one year (and those are the ones that we still use each year) -- each holds a few small pieces of chocolate.

Love the idea of Chick Fil A gift cards for older kids. I will be remembering that one! :thumbup1:

One year we did a bunch of Annie's bunny boxed foods---mac and cheese, pretzels, cheddar crackers, graham crackers, fruit snacks, etc--and a small stuffed bunny along with some chocolate. I've also made a carrot-shaped card from the Easter Bunny to include (my daughter was *really* into bunnies for a while :001_smile: ).