Menu

Do you incentivize "extra" reading?

Or do you just require it? Or do your kids just do it because they love it? Or do they just not do it and that's okay?

I have dd read a little bit every day (she can read things like Little Bear books, Frog and Toad, Amelia Bedelia, etc.). When she's doing it, she LOVES it. She loves the stories and she always feels proud of herself for how much and how well she can read. I would love for her to read beyond what I'm requiring every day (which is usually one book/story in addition to our reading lesson). But she never really wants to do any "extra" reading on her own, just for fun. I do realize that she's really little, and I realize that it involves quite a bit of effort. But I also know that she enjoys it once she gets started and that she will only enjoy it more, the better she gets at it (which only happens by doing it a lot). So I'm considering some kind of incentive program to get her choosing to read for fun. Ideas?

I have never offered any incentives aside from more trips to the library or bookstore. The kids have always earned some small prizes during the library's summer reading program, but the final prize of the summer is actually a certificate for $10 worth of books. :D

Book It during the winter, and summer reading programs for summer (ours gives tickets to the local county fair and waterpark so that is a big motivation).

Besides that we let them stay up an extra hour at bedtime if they are reading, but if they aren't they have to go to sleep. (Technically this happened at the age that we planned to let them go to bed an hour later....but they don't know that.);)

IMHO, the books your dd is able to read at this stage aren't necessarily interesting. My youngest dd seemed stuck there, and thought the books were boring. She wasn't motivated to read them. She'd listen to me read, or listen to books on CD for hours though.

I pointed out to her that books would be much more engaging when she could read a little better. In order to get to that point, we used a variety of incentives. I let her snuggle in bed with me for an extra half an hour before bed as long as she was reading out loud to me. I bought her a beanie baby cat to hold while she read through the Mr. Putter and Tabby books. When she finished the series, she got to keep the cat. She read through the Mensa for kids picture book list to earn a free t-shirt.

It only took a few months, and then she could read just about anything she wanted to. I considered it worth it. Once she got the hang of reading, she found books rewarding enough on their own. She reads for hours a day, and seems to have suffered no ill effects from the external incentives.

With the exception of my oldest (and she has recently switched to mostly audio so she can paint or draw at the same time), none of my children are big readers. My 2nd dd (13) would read a little but preferred fluff and sublevel books. I finally started bribing her with a candy bar for every classic she read. (audio books do not count) After that she can read or listen to whatever she wants (within reason)

My ds1 (11) reads but only non-fiction. He loves reading encyclopedias. He prefers listening to fiction instead of reading it but since he is reading substantial stuff that works for me.

ds2 (9) was a delayed reader. I require him to read 1 chapter a day of a book of my choice after that he is free to read or listen to the books of his choice.

I used to give DS19 incentives to read fiction books when he was little. The only series I ever remember him truly enjoying though were Harry Potter and Eragon. Even now he still prefers non-fiction when he does read, although that isn't much at all these days.

DD reads like crazy. I swear it's amazing how much that girl is like me and I didn't even "acquire" her until last year. I guess it's true in that boys do marry someone like their momma, huh? :laugh:

DS14 loves to read but he wants to read fantasy fiction. His school assigned reading this term has been a different genre every week or 2, and I follow him down the library rows until he picks out something appropriate.

We haven't gotten that far yet, but I won't be opposed to it! Right now, I give a small piece of candy (m&m, jelly bean, etc.) for each sentence read. (In bob books, explode the code, and OPGTR) we've made amazing strides since doing this.

No way- I think it is really important for kids to learn that reading a quality book is it's own reward.

Your dd is still so young. There is no way my ds would have picked up a book for pleasure at that age, although he was a strong reader then. I required daily reading practice at that age and now he reads living books for history, science, and literature, as well as his own free reading choice in the evenings.

Sorta.... yesterday and today DD has done nothing but read!

YOu have to understand, this is my learning disabled, special needs kid that couldn't read until she was 8-9. The fact that she BEGGED me to buy the second book in this series (the first took her almost 9 months to read) is HUGE to me.... she is sitting out there, on her belly on the floor with her kindle propped up - and just now as I was typing, RAN in here saying, "Mommy, my book isn't sad anymore!!" and proceeded to tell me all about what had happened since the last time she did it.... I'm willing to let the rest slide for a couple of days ;)

Oh and we have to leave for language therapy in about an hour - she will work on hard stuff for her!

I preferred to make reading the best option at that age....

In the car - stacks of books (or a basket). All the kids I drove/drive around grab them. (No screens in the car, ever.)

Nap or read? You pick. Man, any 6 yet old will pick book! No toys, no music... "Book or bed?" was the daily 1 pm question at my house.

After dinner - read or bed... (again - no tv option available)....

I found minimizing and screens and making books a privilege does the trick!

IMHO, the books your dd is able to read at this stage aren't necessarily interesting. My youngest dd seemed stuck there, and thought the books were boring. She wasn't motivated to read them. She'd listen to me read, or listen to books on CD for hours though.

Really? I think Amelia Bedelia is hilarious! DD loves her, too. Little Bear and Frog and Toad are just sweet, and dd loves "sweet". I'm telling you, she smiles and laughs when she reads these books. She examines the pictures and asks lots of questions. She glows with pride when she finishes. She really does enjoy them. She just doesn't choose to read in her free time--I think because it isn't effortless yet.

Her biggest motivators are candy (always candy), TV/iPad time (which is severely limited), and time with friends. I like what I've seen people do where kids can sort of cash in reading time for screen time. But candy is always easy and reliable. Hmmm...

No way- I think it is really important for kids to learn that reading a quality book is it's own reward.

I totally agree that everyone needs to learn that reading a good book is its own reward, but you could say the same thing about a lot of the things that we reward our children for, especially chores. At some point, kids need to learn that a clean room is its own reward. Unfortunately, most of them don't believe that in the beginning. So we incentivize it, and hopefully they learn to appreciate the clean room for its own sake (preferably by the time they become adults).

That's the rationale from one side of my brain. The other side is saying exactly what you are!

Fun reading, no. I don't need to offer anything to have the boys sprawled out on MY bed reading MY collection of Calvin and Hobbes. In fact, I tend to break in to that activity at times for clean-up time or other things. Somehow, knowing they get to read when their work is done seems to encourage quickness in their clean-up.

I also don't need to offer any kind of reward for most non-fiction. They chose those books for themselves at the library or I bring home things when I go to the larger library a few hours away. They tend to swarm me as if I had candy when I bring out the bookbag.

I don't offer a reward for reading practice either. I have readers, I require a story a day, I require an oral summary and that is non-negotiable.

BUT I do reward one special book. I select a chapter book, a tough one that I know will be a little challenging, a little long and require some major attention on their part because they write me a summary for each chapter. I also might use that selection for something during the day--writing, maybe spelling, maybe vocabularly. In short, this is a literature choice book. Not something they would pick out, but I make every effort to engage them in the story by picking selections with plenty of action, plenty of pictures, etc. Our current Prize Book is Stuart Little. It has 15 chapters, and I accept one chapter per day, no more. At the end of the prize book reading they get their reward. Currently it works out to around 1$ per chapter, which they are then free to spend or save as they decide. Last time they spent some and saved some. I suspect this go around one will spend and save, the other may save because he has his eye on a large plastic dinosaur that is around 25$, so he's champing at the bit to get to the next prize book, Rabbit Hill.

Call it bribe money, call it prize money, call it whatever you like, but I call it two classic books to the good. The boys wouldn't have picked them, would have protested loudly if I forced the issue. But they not only have enjoyed being rewarded for the reading but actually have enjoyed the stories a lot. Literature reading time is now a pleasant part of the day for all of us.

When my kids were reading this level, they had a chart/caterpillar for 100 days of school except I'd changed it to 100 books/stories. The caterpillar thing was a huge thing that went around the kitchen. We even had to have a step ladder to put the pieces on. If a book was long, they may get more than one number for it. This worked for early reading.

Then we went to a point system that was tied into word count and difficulty that they could redeem for prizes. This was more complicated, but gave them extra incentive to read longer and more difficult books. Non fiction and the Bible got extra points as well. I used this until they were reading easily and would do it for fun.

At our house the offer is if you read it (and it's not a comic book or graphic novel) then I will read it out loud when your are done.

If you are not at the independent reading level (Youngest) then I will sit beside you and read all the hard words.

The only other incentive we give for school work is you get fruit loops for practicing piano. 1 fruit loop for each line you play.

I preferred to make reading the best option at that age....

In the car - stacks of books (or a basket). All the kids I drove/drive around grab them. (No screens in the car, ever.)

Nap or read? You pick. Man, any 6 yet old will pick book! No toys, no music... "Book or bed?" was the daily 1 pm question at my house.

After dinner - read or bed... (again - no tv option available)....

I found minimizing and screens and making books a privilege does the trick!

Here, extra reading time _is_ the incentive!

That is mostly how we approach it here. Everyone who can read is required to do so out loud and silently during the course of our school time, but anyone who can and wants to can stay up later if they are quietly reading. That extra time before lights out IS the incentive.

We also have a rule that for books that have been made into movies, (ie Harry Potter), the book must be completed before we watch the movie.

We sort of do. We have a chore chart that our kids use. They get tickets for doing their chores. Once a week, we have "ticket night." The kids turn in tickets for small toys and treats (like a juice box and fruity snacks to have during our movie) or they can exchange the tickets for money. (This is a great learning lesson!) One of the chore they can choose to do is "20 minutes of reading." If they do it, they earn a ticket. It isn't one of the required chores, but my oldest (the only reader still) chooses to do it most days. He didn't always do it. It's only in the last few weeks he wants to. He was a struggling reader. Now that he is finally becoming fluent, he wants to do his 20 minutes of reading chore each day. He reads a book of his choice. :) He also reads more than just 20 minutes though. I just happen to have this card in our chore cards and he found it. Honestly, it is what got him to really take off in reading because he was trying to earn something...that and buying him a ton of very enticing books for Christmas that I wouldn't read to him.

After MANY years of horrible bedtime ordeals, we've finally hit the jackpot over here. Now they have to get into bed at a certain time but are allowed to lie there and read until they can no longer hold their eyes open. This is AMAZING for DD8. She now lies in bed at night and reads, reads, reads. She's going through chapter books.....she's pulling all the animal and science books out of our science basket. As long as she's in bed and being quiet, I don't care if she reads till the cows come home LOL.DD6 still cannot read well so she just looks at picture books for a short time and then easily falls asleep. DD8 requires less sleep and stay up much longer reading.

So yeah....the incentive is that she's in charge of her own bedtime in a way.

I really like the idea of letting her stay up late as long as she is reading. Unfortunately, she shares a room with ds (2), and that would be a disaster. Neither one of them would be reading or looking at books--they would just goof off and get riled up. Fortunately, we are moving at the end of the summer, and they will have separate rooms. I think we'll give that a shot after we move.

I really like the idea of letting her stay up late as long as she is reading. Unfortunately, she shares a room with ds (2), and that would be a disaster. Neither one of them would be reading or looking at books--they would just goof off and get riled up. Fortunately, we are moving at the end of the summer, and they will have separate rooms. I think we'll give that a shot after we move.

My two share a room as well. I'm sure it's much different with a toddler though. However, we got bunk beds just for this reason. Before bunk beds they would kick each other, fight, look at each other, talk, throw things at each other.....seriously, we had YEARS of horrible bedtime issues. The bunk beds and the reading has solved our problems. We got the low Ikea Kura bunk bed. DD6 is on the bottom and DD8 on the top. They have book lights, so there's no light shining in anyone elses eyes if the pther child is trying to sleep. There's no talking allowed....there's no peeking at the person on the other bunk allowed....there's no swapping books with each other allowed. They each have a book bin that sits on their beds at their feet. Each day they swap out their books if they want different ones for that night. It's really working for us. But like I said, I'm sure a toddler would be much different.

My two share a room as well. I'm sure it's much different with a toddler though. However, we got bunk beds just for this reason. Before bunk beds they would kick each other, fight, look at each other, talk, throw things at each other.....seriously, we had YEARS of horrible bedtime issues. The bunk beds and the reading has solved our problems. We got the low Ikea Kura bunk bed. DD6 is on the bottom and DD8 on the top. They have book lights, so there's no light shining in anyone elses eyes if the pther child is trying to sleep. There's no talking allowed....there's no peeking at the person on the other bunk allowed....there's no swapping books with each other allowed. They each have a book bin that sits on their beds at their feet. Each day they swap out their books if they want different ones for that night. It's really working for us. But like I said, I'm sure a toddler would be much different.

I REALLY love this idea!! We have struggled with bedtime for years also. Although, it is better than it used to be. 2 of my sons share a room and my almost 3 year old twins will go back to sharing a room in a year or so. (We separated them because they would fight and really get into trouble.) The older 2 already have bunk beds and the younger who share will eventually get them too. (My daughter is by herself and the baby is too young.) I think we are going to get the older ones book lights and let them do this. Where did you get yours?? Do you have ones that attatch to the bunk bed rails or how do they work?

Thanks for the idea!

No, I don't and I never would. Never will. Never ever ever ever, ever...not ever. :lol: As someone else said, I believe the experience of reading a great book should be the only reward. For me, the clean room analogy doesn't work. I mean, I know the reward of a clean room/house, BUT I don't consider the actual cleaning a joy at all. I mean, ugh! I am really not a fan of cleaning! :tongue_smilie: I do not want reading to be a means to an end. It is the end! There should be joy in it. Anyway, I don't give my kids an incentive for cleaning their rooms either. :D I do pay them each an allowance for work that serves the whole family. I pay/reward them for work, not for what should/could be a joy.

Do you still read aloud to her? If yes, wonderful! If not, do restart. I will never stop reading aloud to my kids. They have astounded me with what they will sit still and beg for more of. For getting new readers to really take off, one of my tricks is to read a great book, hook them, and walk away after a short chapter leaving them desperate for more. It might take a few tries, but it has never failed me. They want me to read more but dishes don't wash themselves, after all... So they pick it up and read. I do this for moving them up levels too. Works like a charm.

I know some people are going to read my post and be indignant because they tried everything and their kid wouldn't get hooked. I do think that's possible, especially when learning challenges are present, but I think most kids will respond positively, given enough time, interest-tailored book selections, cuddly reading aloud, etc. And I know others have said it but, yes, she is very young. You can establish reading as its own reward rather than means to an external reward.

If you do decide to do incentives though, I would recommend virtually anything else besides candy and screen time though.

My thoughts are that children are bright and they quickly realize a system like this. Before long they won't do X because the reward must increase, yada yada.

Now that said, I DO reward but it's more of a natural consequence... In our house, when you can read, you get a reading lamp. When you have that, you don't have to take a nap. Instead, you are allowed to read quietly. What kid picks nap? You also have the option if staying up later and reading. It's a big kid option. Take it or don't, I don't pretend that I am deeply invested. It has worked on all of our readers so far. ;)

I don't pretend that I am deeply invested.

I liked your whole post but wanted to specifically agree with this! My kids see my joy in reading, but they get no pressure from me. They know I enjoy talking to them about what they are reading and that I generally feel time spent reading is time spent well, but I don't talk to them about how important it is to me, don't beg, cajole, etc. Gotta play those cards close to the vest sometimes... :lol:

I REALLY love this idea!! We have struggled with bedtime for years also. Although, it is better than it used to be. 2 of my sons share a room and my almost 3 year old twins will go back to sharing a room in a year or so. (We separated them because they would fight and really get into trouble.) The older 2 already have bunk beds and the younger who share will eventually get them too. (My daughter is by herself and the baby is too young.) I think we are going to get the older ones book lights and let them do this. Where did you get yours?? Do you have ones that attatch to the bunk bed rails or how do they work?

Thanks for the idea!

I just picked up a few book lights from Target, near the book section. They do have clips and younger DD clips hers to the underside of the bunk to read. Older DD really has nowhere to clip hers so she just props it up or holds it.

Seriously, I cannot believe we have actually found something that works for us for bedtime. We went through consequences, rewards, all sorts of behavior charts and systems....nothing stuck. They'd work for a few days and that's it. I was to the point where I wanted to leave the house each night at bedtime and leave it all to DH LOL! I can't believe bunk beds and reading were the key all along!