Menu

When did casual become the new formal?

Parrothead

Or maybe it is just this screwy place where one must purchase entry to retirement parties.

There is this thing tonight. Dh says the person in charge said it is formal and the guys have to wear dress uniforms. So I'm planning on one of the nice dresses.

Then dh comes home today and said he'd talked to some of the guys. The guys are to be in their formal dress uniforms, but the spouses can be casual. :confused1:

I think my head wanted to explode.

So now I'm supposed to get ready to go in an hour or so and I'm not sure what to wear. I don't want to over dress, but I don't want to be the only one in pants.

Is casual the new formal or should I wear the dress?

ETA: I have no one to call. I don't know any of the people who will be there.

I'm leaning in that direction. So black (more formal) or grey (not quite as formal) or billowy pants, sequined urban camo tank with a cover that matches the pants (not quite as formal as a dress but not as casual as dress pants)?

ETA: The pants require the 5 inch heels since they are so long.

Go business casual. :tongue_smilie: Whatever that is right?

DH's work had a thing. They were told business casual. I met him there and everyone, I kid you not, was wearing company sweat shirts and jeans or Dockers. I was way over dressed. Not the end of the world, but it was a little weird.

I don't own business casual. I have yoga pants, jeans, oh, wait! I have the velvet pants!. I can wear them with a sweater!

Okay they are black and will work.

Thanks, Wendy. You are a genius. :grouphug:

If your DH is going formal, IMO you should too. Also, I've never heard of an event where there was one dress code for some folks, and another for everyone else. If formal dress is required for your DH, then standard etiquette seems to indicate that this is a formal (or at least semi-formal) event.

It's always less awkward to be overdressed than underdressed for these types of events. Chances are many other spouses didn't get the "casual memo" and there will likely be several that will come in formal attire.

Whatever you wear, have fun! :)

Go business casual. :tongue_smilie: Whatever that is right?

DH's work had a thing. They were told business casual. I met him there and everyone, I kid you not, was wearing company sweat shirts and jeans or Dockers. I was way over dressed. Not the end of the world, but it was a little weird.

Didn't you ask about the definition of business casual a few weeks ago? I said a nice pair of jeans, but we're in the Bay Area, so business casual means heavier emphasis on casual. So I gather that was what happened at your DH's event.

If your DH is going formal, IMO you should too. Also, I've never heard of an event where there was one dress code for some folks, and another for everyone else. If formal dress is required for your DH, then standard etiquette seems to indicate that this is a formal (or at least semi-formal) event.

It's always less awkward to be overdressed than underdressed for these types of events. Chances are many other spouses didn't get the "casual memo" and there will likely be several that will come in formal attire.

Whatever you wear, have fun! :)

Exactly. This is the definition I was operating under until this afternoon. I even went out to buy new black tights.

Will you let us know later what the other women wear? I kind of like to know what is the definition these days too.

Most of the guys were in their dress uniforms. The retired guys were in business casual. The women were in everything from yoga pants to little black dress. I think the lady in the black dress and I were the only ones in any sort of dress shoe.

I left early so as to not let some b****y woman have it with both barrels for being incredibly rude. I was able to hold it in until after dinner and the presentation of awards.

Most of the guys were in their dress uniforms. The retired guys were in business casual. The women were in everything from yoga pants to little black dress. I think the lady in the black dress and I were the only ones in any sort of dress shoe.

I left early so as to not let some b****y woman have it with both barrels for being incredibly rude. I was able to hold it in until after dinner and the presentation of awards.

She was just jealous because you looked so good. :D

Sorry about the b****y woman. I hope the event was enjoyable otherwise. Did you feel dressed *right* for the occasion?

Sorry about the b****y woman. I hope the event was enjoyable otherwise. Did you feel dressed *right* for the occasion?

Yes, I think I did okay. The velvet pants and the top were slightly more dressy than church clothes, but not the little black dress. I wouldn't have been the only one, but I think it worked out.

Geesh! Where did you have to go? Sounds insufferable. Sorry. Hope you had a little fun for your time.

The velvet pants, a black cami and a plum/black 3/4 length top and 2 inch black heels.

I wore almost exactly this a couple of weeks ago to dh's banquet, except with a black skirt and black hosiery. Some people still like to see a lady in skirt, apparently, b/c several of the elderly gents commented very sweetly how nice it was to see a woman wearing a skirt.

Last year I had worn something just a bit nicer, and I was sorely tempted to dress down this year, as people come in everything from jeans to cowboy duds, except for the board members who all wear suits.

Boy was I glad I had dressed nicely when dh was called up for an award, one of two prestigious named awards given out each year. And there were pictures, with him in a suit and me in...a nice dress. Whew!

Wow, I have never heard of jeans being considered business casual. That is not the D.C. Definition. For my dh it means khakis and a sports coat instead of a suit. For me a more casual dress or pair of slacks, but not jeans or sweats. We just had a big 50th birthday party for dh, a Sunday brunch, we said the dress was business casual and no one showed up in jeans.

Well, it sounds like you looked lovely.

Maybe the lady was....drunk?

Wow, I have never heard of jeans being considered business casual. That is not the D.C. Definition. For my dh it means khakis and a sports coat instead of a suit. For me a more casual dress or pair of slacks, but not jeans or sweats. We just had a big 50th birthday party for dh, a Sunday brunch, we said the dress was business casual and no one showed up in jeans.

I still remember the culture shock I had the first time (sometime back in the '90s) I was invited to an event where the invitation was "business casual." It was not a personal invitation, more like a "you're part of this subgroup of the main conference for health-care professionals that's invited to a party during the conference" general invitation. Living in Japan before the internet age, I had no one to consult for advice about this event that was taking place in the States. I had never heard the expression before and very nervously chose what I was going to wear.

Thankfully, I chose well. I put on dressier, but not evening dressy, pants with a nice top and low heel dress shoes. Most of the women were somewhere around this level, some may have been wearing khaki pants. All the men were in khakis and a dress shirt or polo, no tie. Some wore sport coats, some didn't. This is mostly what I see today in the midwest. I don't think I've ever seen anyone in jeans at an event that's advertised as business casual.

Okay, there was this little old lady seated across from me. She was helped in by two gentlemen because she is so frail.

Dh is in them first chair and I'm in the second. So I should have been second in the buffet line.

I asked the elderly lady if I could bring her some food. Well bring elderly she can't hear too well either. So I had to ask her a couple times. When she gave the okay, I turned to go get her some food from the buffet.

Dh made a comment like "I think Chuck is going to help her." So I walked back up to my place in line intending to get the lady her food. I was going to get back in line to get my own since I didn't think I could handle two plates.

As I'm walking up to the buffet table I hear, "way to cut in line."

For Dh's sake (this was a fire department function) I ignored it. But you know how it is. Crap like that preys on us and makes us moody. So I left after Dh received his certificate of recognition. I brought the truck in case the department was paged out. I wanted a way home.

-------

You know if I was close enough to hear her comment she had to be able to hear me loudly asking the elderly lady if I could bring her food. It was pure b*****ness.

Oh well everyone you cared about knows she was wrong. I wouldn't consider wearing jeans to anything more formal than a barbeque and I am not a dressy person. Lots of people like seeing a woman ina skirt. I have been known to indulge them. Likewise lower cleavage within the bounds of good taste.

Wow, I have never heard of jeans being considered business casual. That is not the D.C. Definition. For my dh it means khakis and a sports coat instead of a suit. For me a more casual dress or pair of slacks, but not jeans or sweats.

This is the difference between the East Coast and California- and one reason why I want to get out of this state. I cannot stand how people show up in jeans and flip-flops to everything, kids call adults by their first names, etc., etc. Show a little respect, people!

This is the difference between the East Coast and California- and one reason why I want to get out of this state. I cannot stand how people show up in jeans and flip-flops to everything, kids call adults by their first names, etc., etc. Show a little respect, people!

It isn't much better over here. Last night while in the buffet line I asked the person who was asking dh about the lady's plate what the lady's name was. He said that her name was "June". I was shocked. By that time I was so done with these people that I left it. Normally I would have asked for a last name so I could call her "Mrs. Smith"

One of dd's friend's mom wants to be called by her first name. I eventually gave up with trying to get dd to call the mom Mrs. Jones. And of course the friend calls me Chuck.

Yes, I mourn the loss of formality in our modern society. All in the name of not knowing which fork to use or "I just want to be your 5-year old's friend." Doesn't it get weird after a while when he can't meet you for coffee or participate in a phone gossip session because it is after his bed time?

I don't mind first names...generally....unless the person being addressed is ancient - in their 80s. But what does bug me is when the dentist/doctor/other professionals want to be addressed by a title and then call me by my first name......no way....either we are all formal with each other or not.

Myra

Dh and I run a "formal" 4-H club. The kids are not allowed to call us by our first names and their parents must refer to us as Mrs. or Mr. when talking to their child about us. If we've known the parents long enough to be really friendly, they can personally refer to us by our first names when the kids aren't in earshot. Guess what? That formality that we maintain has gotten us notoriety for having the best behaved 4-H club in the county. The kids know that we are in authority over them and they step up to the plate. Our rocket team has become family, but we are still Mr. and Mrs. to them and we believe that is good for them.

I remember when I graduated high school and a my lit teacher came up to me and said, "You may now call me Karen." Boy, you talk about feeling like I'd arrived at the grown ups table!!!! I think it's okay for kids to realize that children are not the peer group of adults.

Oh, Myra, absolutely, I'm with you. I actually correct health care professionals and DO not let them call me by my first name. I have to be with them a LOOOONG time for that to happen and by then, as with our Dentist, they've become more casual and go by "Doctor Jim" or even just "Jim" with their really long term patients.

Faith

Dh and I run a "formal" 4-H club. The kids are not allowed to call us by our first names and their parents must refer to us as Mrs. or Mr. when talking to their child about us. If we've known the parents long enough to be really friendly, they can personally refer to us by our first names when the kids aren't in earshot. Guess what? That formality that we maintain has gotten us notoriety for having the best behaved 4-H club in the county. The kids know that we are in authority over them and they step up to the plate. Our rocket team has become family, but we are still Mr. and Mrs. to them and we believe that is good for them.

I remember when I graduated high school and a my lit teacher came up to me and said, "You may now call me Karen." Boy, you talk about feeling like I'd arrived at the grown ups table!!!! I think it's okay for kids to realize that children are not the peer group of adults.

Oh, Myra, absolutely, I'm with you. I actually correct health care professionals and DO not let them call me by my first name. I have to be with them a LOOOONG time for that to happen and by then, as with our Dentist, they've become more casual and go by "Doctor Jim" or even just "Jim" with their really long term patients.

Faith

Right there with you! The 4-H group for which dh serves as liaison to the aforementioned hobby association has a stellar reputation with the hobby organization b/c the 4-H leaders have ingrained civility and respect into those kids. I was there for a qtrly business meeting, a guest of the group's for the first time, last week. Against orders, I had brought dessert to the potluck. ; ) A teen boy that I didn't know from Adam saw me across the parking lot, turned away from the door he was about to enter, and came and helped me with my car door and the hot 10x15 pan full of cherry cobbler (no he couldn't see it or smell it, so it wasn't that!). All the kids were that polite and helpful, several of them coming up to thank me once they knew that I was dh's wife--not that there was anything to thank me for, rather because they have been raised to look out for others and to be thoughtful. I was thoroughly impressed with the group. I've raised my kids to be polite and thoughtful, but this bunch had it nailed!

Good for you all and your group, Faith. You've served them well on many levels. In this day and age of so much that requires intense teamwork in the workplace, kids raised with the ethic of civility should go far.

Ha! You all should have lived in Hawaii with Aloha-casual, Aloha-business and Aloha-formal!

Hm, calling people Miss/Mr Firstname is extremely common in military circles, but so is calling adults sir and ma'am. I don't think it shows a lack of respect at all.

Hm, calling people Miss/Mr Firstname is extremely common in military circles, but so is calling adults sir and ma'am. I don't think it shows a lack of respect at all.

I can live with Mr./Ms. + First Name because it still acknowledges that the child is not at the same level as the adult. This is the compromise I have settled on for my kids between my preference for Mr./Ms. + Last Name and the California norm for just the first name.

I can live with Mr./Ms. + First Name because it still acknowledges that the child is not at the same level as the adult. This is the compromise I have settled on for my kids between my preference for Mr./Ms. + Last Name and the California norm for just the first name.

We've lived in California for 14 years. It's never been the norm in the circles we move in.