Menu

I know we've talked about this before (re holding a child back)

AimeeM

I know we've talked about this before, but I really need to make a decision, preferably this upcoming school year. DD11 has already expressed that she wants to transition into the local Catholic prep school for 9th grade (but WE - dad and I - plan on sending her for 8th as well, simply because it's a very rigorous school and I'm not sure she could handle the transition without that year of "already being there").

DD is 11 and in grade 6 this year, technically. She is mildly dyslexic - reading, writing, and spelling are consistently about a year behind, but nothing *huge*. She is advanced in maths and sciences (she will be doing algebra 1 this upcoming fall).

DD is young for her grade (as in, she makes the cut off by a week). Always the youngest in her class and, at this stage in her life, it shows. Those few months seem to make a difference, at least among her age peers. Her best friend is only a few months younger than DD and in a grade below DD; they enjoy playing dress up, playing with their AG dolls, make believe Harry Potter, movies, etc; the girls in DD's grade level appear to be more into boys, short skirts, make up, and getting into trouble, lol.

Given her young age, maturity level, and that (while she does make significant progress every year at home) her language art skills are consistently behind a year, I have had a nagging feeling that I really *should* hold her back a year. I need to make this decision this year because we plan to put her in the prep school in grade 8, if all goes according to plan; which would give her two more years at home if we hold her back, but only one more year at home if we keep her at grade level.

Math is a huge concern for us if we hold her back. If she continues the pace she is at currently, and sticks to the scope we had planned (with her input), her next two years would look like: algebra 1 in grade 6, algebra 2 and geometry in grade 7... and the school is unable to place her in higher level math classes, which would mean she would starting back in algebra 1 if she transitions into the school in grade 8.

Math is really my ONLY qualm about holding her back a year. Apparently it's a pretty common thing to do with late birthdays and late social bloomers. She would definitely not be the only one who has been held back at the school.

I know I've worried about it for the past year or so, but now I feel like it's crunch time for making that decision.

I know, I know - while she's at home I can work at her pace, but I need to push several things if I want her to enter at grade level instead of holding her back, since next year would then be her last at home. I am afraid that by pushing it too quickly, she will develop more of a dislike for language arts than she already has.

Any input is appreciated, lol.

I would hold her back if you are going to put her in school. My dd is similar. An extra year of maturity can do wonders for a kid in high school. I wish I had been held back (I was super young).

I would not worry about the math at all. I know many will not agree, but pushing algebra early is not always the best thing. It will not hurt her to wait.

I would hold her back if you are going to put her in school. My dd is similar. An extra year of maturity can do wonders for a kid in high school. I wish I had been held back (I was super young).

I would not worry about the math at all. I know many will not agree, but pushing algebra early is not always the best thing. It will not hurt her to wait.

I'm not going to hold off on algebra - I've already held off (this is her second year of prealgebra). I wouldn't mind supplementing at home though if she has to repeat some math at school (well, I say that, but I do not realistically know what her homework load will look like, lol!).

Like you, she seems perfectly fine about the possibility of being held back. She keeps asking if that means she can go to college with H (her best friend). Lol!

Okay, so reading through the first part of your post, I say, "yeah, hold her back." To me, THIS is the time (about 12-13years old, depending) to decide things like holding back or skipping. THIS is when it is going to start mattering as your post details.

However, the math thing bugs me. A LOT. I personally feel two years of Algebra I, even for a very strong student can be a good thing (ask my kids!). Seriously, I think that 2nd year, though it may have looked like I learned little as I sat with a 99 average (no such thing as 100), made all the difference in the world regarding how confident I am regarding maths (no doubt homeschooling two children all the way through has helped a good bit now also). However, you're not just talking about two years of Algebra I. You're talking that she's going to have to back up even more than that. Why can't the school accommodate a mathy kid?

The other thing that makes me ::::wonder:::: is...My son was *way* behind. We joined a virtual academy and they insisted we put him in his age-based grade level. We decided to go for it. By the end of the year, he was low average, not behind! I think that jr high aged kids just may well be able to handle stepping up their game enough to catch up the rest of the way. Seriously, language arts wise, I don't think one year is insurmountable.

Soooooo, so I don't know what I would do. A lot would depend on my individual child, especially "stepping up" ability. I'd also likely get her opinion. Because of my son's experience and the math issue, I'd be tempted to not hold her back. But you do want her compulsory education to be solid and her transcript to be strong. And being advanced math wise isn't as important in the long run (assuming math strength was similar otherwise).

I'm no help, huh?

Go with your gut. When it comes to math, there are lots of accommodations schools will usually make, and since this school also has the high school right there. My oldest took Algebra 1 in 6th, and is taking it again in 7th...concurrently with Geometry. He's finding Geometry very easy, but still struggles here and there with Algebra (right now, he's taking a course with Coursera).

Aimee, I would definitely hold her back if I were you. I think the maturity/peer issues at this particular age are so huge, she will do so much better if she is with a peer group she is more in tune with. As this is a rigorous school, and you think that back a year is the right level for everything but math, it sounds like the right choice. Maybe she can do more challenging/interesting math with a tutor, or at home, or with an online program, if the time comes and she is bored where she is placed?

Okay, so reading through the first part of your post, I say, "yeah, hold her back." To me, THIS is the time (about 12-13years old, depending) to decide things like holding back or skipping. THIS is when it is going to start mattering as your post details.

However, the math thing bugs me. A LOT. I personally feel two years of Algebra I, even for a very strong student can be a good thing (ask my kids!). Seriously, I think that 2nd year, though it may have looked like I learned little as I sat with a 99 average (no such thing as 100), made all the difference in the world regarding how confident I am regarding maths (no doubt homeschooling two children all the way through has helped a good bit now also). However, you're not just talking about two years of Algebra I. You're talking that she's going to have to back up even more than that. Why can't the school accommodate a mathy kid? The school is a grade 6-12 Catholic prep; I *believe* the issue is that the middle school (which she would be at grade 8, whenever that is, lol) operates on a completely different schedule than the high school (grades 9-12) - to put her in a high school math class may mean she, say, misses language arts in her grade? KWIM?

The other thing that makes me ::::wonder:::: is...My son was *way* behind. We joined a virtual academy and they insisted we put him in his age-based grade level. We decided to go for it. By the end of the year, he was low average, not behind! I think that jr high aged kids just may well be able to handle stepping up their game enough to catch up the rest of the way. Seriously, language arts wise, I don't think one year is insurmountable. If she were *just* behind, I could see that happening. My issue is that she has consistently been working a year behind since... around 2nd or 3rd grade, despite a more rigorous program at home. Her dyslexia especially shines through in her writing (big time - we are only *just* hitting paragraphs, and not with any real fluency or stamina).

Soooooo, so I don't know what I would do. A lot would depend on my individual child, especially "stepping up" ability. I'd also likely get her opinion. Because of my son's experience and the math issue, I'd be tempted to not hold her back. But you do want her compulsory education to be solid and her transcript to be strong. And being advanced math wise isn't as important in the long run (assuming math strength was similar otherwise).

I'm no help, huh? You were a help! Just seeing a different perspective helps me to process more.

I would hold her back as well. maturity really makes a big difference.

Since you are ahead in math, I suggest taking your time with it. You do not need to finish one course a year. I used more than one curriculum and supplemented. That way my dd saw multiple ways of presenting the same kind of problem and she understood they were all the same thing. And spend a lot of extra time on word problems. IRL math is essentially word problems. You have to figure out what measurements are important and what equation applies. Since you are getting to algebra a little early take the time to work longer on this skill. It may mean that math is slowed as you build language arts skills, but the math will be much more solid. Being able to find slopes of lines and volumes is useless if you can't apply the skill beyond one textbook.

I saw your follow-up about there possibly being scheduling issues...another possibility is to see if the school would work *with* you and an outsourced math program (on-line program, or DVD program that she could work independently, but with regular meetings (either before school, or after school?) with the proper math instructor. It wouldn't hurt to ask. That's what they do at our middle school, and even some of the high school programs (where they don't have the class, but the kid does it on-line and they have an instructor on-site they check in with). Another option is have her "sit" in the Algebra 1 course, and have her do a different math at home...asking for a placement test for high school math prior to enrollment for high school. If they can't or won't work with you (and I've known some schools that just *won't*), your daughter will be bored out of her skull in math.

Lastly, what is the purpose of cramming Algebra 2 and Geometry into the same year? I don't have a problem with them being done concurrently, but it's a lot of work to cram them both into one year (or, it can be). We've spread Geometry out over two years alongside Algebra 1 and Algebra 2, and that is *after* my son took a whole year of Algebra 1...there are lots of ways you could "slow down" her math progression without really slowing down (IYKWIM). Also, if she really loves math, you could throw in some different AoPS courses (number theory, for example), and run that alongside Algebra 1...and stretch Algebra 1 for two years, while exposing her to whole new math concepts. Just some other thoughts.

I would hold her back, but also REALLY push the school to find a way to accommodate her in math. There has to be something they can do.

Have you laid this out for the administration? What do they say? Are they willing to brain storm with you and find a creative solution? If not, they might not be the right fit. A school administration that lacks creative solutions is not who you want educating a double exceptional child.

I have a son with an October birthday (old for grade) and a girl with a June birthday (due in July - young for grade). I see HUGE advantages being on the older end for grade in my son even with homeschooling. Both my kids are ahead academically, but I do think at junior high and high school social maturity matters quite a bit. I actually will be thinking about this long and hard if my DD ever really wants to go back to schoool.

I'd hold back, but really push the school to accommodate for math if you could. Could she do an online course while the rest of the class did math? I think the point about being able to accommodate math all through high school with an ahead kid is important too.

I also would not push advancement on math ahead of the school. One thing to bear in mind is that many universities will not accept students who have not had a math class in their senior years. Smaller schools often do not offer enough courses to meet this requirement when the student has done the classes at earlier ages. We had one kid from our school who had topped out by grade 10...genius. He took an independent study in junior year, some advanced math class online, but nothing senior year. And he couldn't get into some very good schools for htat reason. Yes, the schools are stupid to be this way, but the fact is, they ARE this way. Just bear it in mind.

This is interesting and good to know.

I am also wondering why he didn't take more online math senior year, or more independent study.

I gather the schools didn't like that he only had 3 years of Math total for the high school,

even though his level was as high or higher than the kids who took 4 years of Math.

But interesting in any case. It makes me rethink not having DS take 4 years of

Social Science (the colleges we want only require 3, but after what you say it's probably better

to be safe).

I have a son with an October birthday (old for grade) and a girl with a June birthday (due in July - young for grade). I see HUGE advantages being on the older end for grade in my son even with homeschooling. Both my kids are ahead academically, but I do think at junior high and high school social maturity matters quite a bit. I actually will be thinking about this long and hard if my DD ever really wants to go back to schoool.

I'd hold back, but really push the school to accommodate for math if you could. Could she do an online course while the rest of the class did math? I think the point about being able to accommodate math all through high school with an ahead kid is important too.

I think you should hold her back like this PP says. I also agree with this poster that

you should push the school. Actually, I should just have put the "I agree" emoticon here.

I suggest AoPS for her online course. They have enough classes for all 4 years even if

she starts now.

I saw your follow-up about there possibly being scheduling issues...another possibility is to see if the school would work *with* you and an outsourced math program (on-line program, or DVD program that she could work independently, but with regular meetings (either before school, or after school?) with the proper math instructor. It wouldn't hurt to ask. That's what they do at our middle school, and even some of the high school programs (where they don't have the class, but the kid does it on-line and they have an instructor on-site they check in with). Another option is have her "sit" in the Algebra 1 course, and have her do a different math at home...asking for a placement test for high school math prior to enrollment for high school. If they can't or won't work with you (and I've known some schools that just *won't*), your daughter will be bored out of her skull in math.

Lastly, what is the purpose of cramming Algebra 2 and Geometry into the same year? I don't have a problem with them being done concurrently, but it's a lot of work to cram them both into one year (or, it can be). We've spread Geometry out over two years alongside Algebra 1 and Algebra 2, and that is *after* my son took a whole year of Algebra 1...there are lots of ways you could "slow down" her math progression without really slowing down (IYKWIM). Also, if she really loves math, you could throw in some different AoPS courses (number theory, for example), and run that alongside Algebra 1...and stretch Algebra 1 for two years, while exposing her to whole new math concepts. Just some other thoughts.

She doesn't love math, lol - she loves science; just happens to be good at math :p She tolerates it and likes it much better than language arts.

Would it work better to do a second year of Algebra 1 and run geometry concurrently with that? You asked why... she wants to do geometry. Lol. When it comes to my *unmotivated* child, when she specifically shows a desire to do something, I don't often say "no", lol.

I would hold her back, but also REALLY push the school to find a way to accommodate her in math. There has to be something they can do.

Have you laid this out for the administration? What do they say? Are they willing to brain storm with you and find a creative solution? If not, they might not be the right fit. A school administration that lacks creative solutions is not who you want education a double exceptional child.

I haven't spoken with them directly re: holding her back a year. I should do that, lol.

This is really the only option for us. The other private schools are affiliated with faiths that require a signed statement of faith that we can't/won't sign, and this is the ONLY Catholic high school in the area. Public schools are out of the question (here). If she wants to *go* to a high school, this is the only option for us :( It's a great school really, and I *do* need to talk to them about it specifically.

I think you should hold her back like this PP says. I also agree with this poster that

you should push the school. Actually, I should just have put the "I agree" emoticon here.

I suggest AoPS for her online course. They have enough classes for all 4 years even if

she starts now.

I'm not sure how she would handle AOPS. She doesn't *love* math and AOPS is very wordy (she's dyslexic and that comes with, in her case, processing problems). I'm afraid that would completely kill any enjoyment she takes from math, kwim?

For a second year of algebra 1, run concurrently with geometry, I might try Jacobs (she wants to use Horizons Algebra 1 next year).

This would definitely be ideal and something I am certainly going to ask. Something I didn't even think about asking, really, so I thank you ladies :D

I did just look at the school's website and they appear to have a BOAT LOAD of high school math classes beyond Algebra II, so we should be okay in that department (although I noticed that some of them specify *only* for 12th or 11th grade).

I'm not well versed in math or offerings for math classes (hubby is the math guy here). This school offers the typical classes, then the AP classes, then they offer something called "finite math", personal finance, and statistics.

I also looked through the high school catalogue a bit and noticed that if a rising grade 9 student can "test out" of algebra and geometry if they took them in middle school - only their grade 8 math appears to "transfer" as credit, but they seem to have enough offerings that she could still easily do four years of math even if she enters high school in pre-calc or calc.

I think the biggest consideration is the maturity issue -- and your dd's maturity level could change a lot over the next year. The math thing wouldn't even be on my radar. You said she doesn't love math, so if she ends up repeating a year of it, it's not the end of the world and she'll still have plenty of time for more advanced math in high school, anyway.

Do you have to make a decision immediately due to application deadlines for the high school? If not, I would wait until next spring to make a decision about what to do next fall. Things can change a lot in a year!

I think the biggest consideration is the maturity issue -- and your dd's maturity level could change a lot over the next year. The math thing wouldn't even be on my radar. You said she doesn't love math, so if she ends up repeating a year of it, it's not the end of the world and she'll still have plenty of time for more advanced math in high school, anyway.

Do you have to make a decision immediately due to application deadlines for the high school? If not, I would wait until next spring to make a decision about what to do next fall. Things can change a lot in a year!

I would have to make the decision before this fall - if I keep her at grade level, that would mean she enters 8th the year after; meaning that the application must be submitted this upcoming January.

I don't believe in "holding back" a child based on social skills (or lack thereof) or maturity or whatever. I just don't. I've seen too much of what can happen down the road in a few years.

I believe in keeping children at the grade level they'd be in if they were in school when it comes to having to write it down somewhere, or place the children in a grade-segregated group situation, while teaching the children at their academic levels.

I would have to make the decision before this fall - if I keep her at grade level, that would mean she enters 8th the year after; meaning that the application must be submitted this upcoming January.

Thanks -- I wasn't sure how it worked. :)

I think that if you have the slightest doubt about whether or not you should hold her back... then you should hold her back. And again, I'm thinking in terms of the maturity and not the academics.

I don't believe in "holding back" a child based on social skills (or lack thereof) or maturity or whatever. I just don't. I've seen too much of what can happen down the road in a few years.

I believe in keeping children at the grade level they'd be in if they were in school when it comes to having to write it down somewhere, or place the children in a grade-segregated group situation, while teaching the children at their academic levels.

Understood. However, this isn't *just socially*. She consistently works a grade level behind in language arts - while this is about "socially" on some level, we are also taking into consideration academics.

Teaching her *at* her academic level only applies if she were to stay home - which none of us have the intention of doing in high school.

I wonder if the high school does dual enrollment with a local college....

My oldest went to a very small private school and they did dual enrollment classes

with the local community college. It counted for high school and college credit.

It was also cheaper signing up through the private high school since

there was already an agreement in place.

eta: I would hold her back. We did that w/our dd,

and it's worked out really well.

See, I've had a lot of people disagree with you on the maturity issue...most high school teachers I've spoken with have said they can *always* tell pretty quickly who the "just made the deadline" kids are, they stick out (and not usually in a good way). A lot of times they just aren't prepared for high school work, and when most kids mature/adapt these kids lag for a year...meaning they aren't "developmentally ready" for high school work until they hit 10th grade, or even mid-10th grade. That developmental lag in academically competitive areas can mean a huge disadvantage when competing for college scholarships (and I'm not referring to sports scholarships)...not to mention many "young" kids (developmentally/maturity) aren't ready for the increased peer pressure...I know of several (personally), who despite recommendations to be held back for social/developmental/maturity issues were pushed forward by parents, only to fall into bad crowds... some kids just need that extra time to grow.

And that may be true with children who are in school, not homeschoolers.

I've seen children who fit everywhere in the spectrum who fall into bad crowds. I wouldn't use that as a measuring stick. And there will always be children who are "young" for their grades and children who are "old."

Mr. Ellie, whose bday is in September and grew up in a state where the cut-off was December 2 is thankful that his parents didn't hold him back, even though he graduated in June and wasn't 18 until September. :-) I'm thankful that no one thought July was a "late" bday and held me back.

You just can't always tell how mature a 10yo child will be when he's 14.

I've seen children who fit everywhere in the spectrum who fall into bad crowds. I wouldn't use that as a measuring stick. And there will always be children who are "young" for their grades and children who are "old."

Mr. Ellie, whose bday is in September and grew up in a state where the cut-off was December 2 is thankful that his parents didn't hold him back, even though he graduated in June and wasn't 18 until September. :-) I'm thankful that no one thought July was a "late" bday and held me back.

.... but THIS post was asking specifically about holding a child back for BRICK AND MORTAR placement - not for homeschool.

This goes to the "each child is different" -- because unlike Mr. Ellie, my mother who was born Nov. 24 ... to this day (she is 65) wishes her parents had kept her home another year. She always felt "dumb" (and she was in the advanced/college prep program)...she didn't understand the jokes her peers made...she just didn't "get" things. We didn't hold my son back until 6th grade, he was not developmentally ready (mature) for middle school. He's now 13, and shocker...he's not ready for high school (even though he's taking some high school level work). He is a LOT like my mom, just in different subject areas. My mom struggled with math/science, my son struggles with literature & history. We aren't sure if we can keep him home for high school, so we made this decision now. The decision isn't based on a date...it's based upon the child. My oldest daughter (who just turned 11) could handle (academically and socially) being in the 7th grade. She probably wouldn't bat an eye or struggle in any way. But that is HER. I could have handled being the youngest in my grade...but that was ME (I was one of the oldest with a late Dec. birthday).

I had a summer birthday and I was always ahead academically, but I just felt socially awkward. Many of my close friends tended to be the brightest kids a grade or 2 down from me. I personally think having ONE date for cut off is silly. It make sense to look at kids at least 3 months on either side of that line and decide what's best for that kid and make adjustments if necessary (which I know isn't necessarily easy to do for people who have kids in schools).

In the OP's case, having a child a week before the cut off? That isn't holding back really. Most kids here with that birthdate would be the younger grade. If you had a socially mature kid that was ahead across the boards that seemed ready to produce the kind of output that a rigorous school will require without much prompting? A kid that I would anticipate being ready for full time college early? Then I'd consider the push ahead. Part of being successful at a rigorous school is being ready to jump through hoops and produce the work. It isn't necessarily all about your exact academic level.

I would lean toward holding her back. Both of my kids are on the older end for their grade (my 6th grader turned 12 in November), and I can really see the difference in their friends who are on the younger end. Also, having one more year at home to work on her trouble spots will give her a better foundation for high school. If she makes major leaps ahead in maturity and language arts, you could then enroll her in 9th grade instead of 8th.

As for math, I would probably let her get started with some geometry alongside algebra 1. We liked Key to Geometry, but Patty Paper Geometry gets great reviews and I'm sure there are other options that don't require algebra. AoPS might not seem as daunting 18 months from now - DS is loving AoPS Geometry, but it would have been waaayy over his head last year. Even if it's still not a good fit, and the high school won't let her test out of geometry, repeating math would not be a big enough issue for me to send her to school a year earlier.

It sounds like holding her back is a wise choice unless she really shoots ahead in language arts over the next year. Being ahead in one subject will not hurt anything IMO. There are plenty of kids who are far ahead in just about every subject, and they survive it.

If I were you, I'd look into the school's math curriculum and then set about finding the most opposite curriculum available for next year's algebra studies. That way at least it won't be exactly the same thing twice. And next year, I'd give minimal time to math in order to free up more time to strengthen language arts.

Didn't read all of the other posts, but I think I'd hold her back. I'd probably start her in the math level she's ready for, but I'd do it more slowly. My 11yo DD will be starting pre-algebra next year (sixth grade), but since it isn't her favorite subject, I'm planning to do the pre-algebra book slowly. If it takes more than a year, that's fine. We're going to do a few lessons from that book each week, but also some extra work on word problems and maybe other things like AOPS. I don't think she'll want to take a ton of advanced math, so I'm totally okay with her starting algebra 1 halfway through seventh grade, or even the beginning of eighth.

I like the idea of finding a very different curriculum from the school too.

Are the academics at the school on par with your homeschool work? For a lot of schools, they seem to run a year behind or so anyway....

Since we're working consistently a year behind in language arts, the school is definitely working ahead of us in that department (from what I understand). She would be advanced in maths, even by their (high) standards. They *do* appear to accept algebra 1 in grade 7 and geometry in grade 8 as able to ride on (contingent on placement test), which is much more than most of the schools in the area; even so, she would have to re-do one or two years (at least) of math, keeping at her current pace.

The language arts is worrisome. Since it is carried across the board (for example the description of their 9th grade history class does state that essay output is considerable and would be weighted in grading), that she is a year behind in writing, struggling but technically on grade level for reading, concerns me more than that she would be bored in math.

Without making her hate language arts even more, I'm not sure I could keep her at grade level and push her to the necessary level within 1.5 years.

I think holding her back makes the most sense. It will be nice for her to be advanced and find a couple of subjects (math and science) easy, A confidence builder in the face of the other challenges she'll be facing in the transition.

I'm not going to hold off on algebra - I've already held off (this is her second year of prealgebra). I wouldn't mind supplementing at home though if she has to repeat some math at school (well, I say that, but I do not realistically know what her homework load will look like, lol!).

Like you, she seems perfectly fine about the possibility of being held back. She keeps asking if that means she can go to college with H (her best friend). Lol!

If she is fine with it, I'd hold her back. Call it a "gap" year, LOL!

As for the math, check into the community college rules in your area. Around here, the community colleges will accept students in a regular high school that does not offer the level of math, science, or technology that they need. It may be the same in your area. A private school might also let her take an online class via some of the universities and note it on her transcript. Explore the options. There may be more than you think.

Writing is such a huge part of high school, especially at a rigorous institution. It sounds like it would be difficult for her to succeed in that environment so soon, although stranger things have happened. Also, why have her feel she has to act older than she would have otherwise? She'll outgrow the dolls soon enough; why let peer pressure have any influence on that?

I agree with others that you should see if the school can accomodate her math level. Is there a way to take a placement test? Could the math classes at this school also be more difficult, even though they are named the same as what you are doing? How convenient would that be! LOL