Menu

Common Core math...found MUS is going CC....need to find another program

Holly IN

I think it really will depend on how the school districts implement the common core. I will be homeschooling next year but my kids are in PS right now so I can tell you what they are doing for common core.

In our district, starting in 4th grade, students are split into math classes (core, accelerated core, and advanced) based on their skill level. They also switched the curriculum at our elementary school to Singapore math this year. I can tell you this is not a dumbed down version of math. My son (5th grade) is learning concepts similar to what my daughter was doing earlier this year in 7th grade, and both are in the accelerated programs. They are solving algebraic equations like inequalities, etc... I think what the common core is trying to do as well is ensure that all kids have a solid foundation in the early years and then build upon that foundation as they get older, introducing concepts and repeating them in different years.

So I don't necessarily think that because a certain curriculum is changing to align with the common core standards, that is a bad thing. What is lovely about homeschooling is that you can pace yourself according to how your individual student is doing.

I can also tell you that at our middle school they are teaching Algebra to 7th graders, they are the ones in the advanced class. The core class goes through the year with grade level material, the advanced will go through that same material plus 1/3 of the 8th grade algebra, and the advanced are in algebra the whole year. So if schools are saying they CAN'T teach algebra in 7th grade, they are either misinterpreting the guidelines or using it as an excuse to not to.

I would have no problem using common core material, if my child was advancing rapidly through the material we would move on to the next level. There is certainly common core material that would be challenging for any student, you just have to figure out what level that might be and use it.

Having moved from one state to another, I can see how a common core would help students that have to change schools, especially as kids get older. If you move to a new school where they introduce negative numbers, for example, in 4th grade, but a new student did not learn that concept yet because their district didn't teach it until 5th grade, that will make it difficult to place that child in the right setting. I believe that is the type of thing the common core was meant to deal with, not necessarily dumbing down of the curriculum in places where they are teaching advanced materials.

I'm puzzled. If MUS teaches only addition in one year, and only subtraction in the next year, and so on, how does it align with the CC? If CC says that multiplication should be introduced in grade 2, then how can MUS achieve that with their atypical sequence?

they can't. they aren't changing the whole program, just adding some extra stuff.

I do not think that Saxon is changing but they did make a supplement available for cc (On Core) for homeschoolers. I do want to emphasize that this is the homeschool edition of Saxon that I am referring to. A lot of folks do not realize there are two different editions and the public school program has changed. I highly doubt that the publishers are going to change the homeschool edition in the future since it is so popular.

I'm puzzled. If MUS teaches only addition in one year, and only subtraction in the next year, and so on, how does it align with the CC? If CC says that multiplication should be introduced in grade 2, then how can MUS achieve that with their atypical sequence?

This is a bit of a misconception with MUS. Their sequence is atypical, but their first year is addition and subtraction, so is the second. It isn't quite THAT atypical. What is actually more atypical is that multiplication is taught completely (to 4 digit x 4 digit numbers) in the third year before introducing single digit division. It also includes lots of other topics each year that aren't listed as the focus. For example in Zeta where they teach decimals far less than half of the lessons actually focus on decimals.

MUS will never meet common core. However, by adding more time telling, measuring and other small topics in the new enrichment pages, they can get closer.

It already has. http://www.hmheducat...common-core.php

Now I'm not sure if that's for the homeschool version or just the public/private school version.

Yes but if you buy the 3rd edition or other specific editions, would they not still be the same? For example, we use Algebra 1 3rd edition which is the older, homeschool edition and not the newer editions. As for Common Core, that does not worry me as long as a program is rigorous.

Yes but if you buy the 3rd edition or other specific editions, would they not still be the same? For example, we use Algebra 1 3rd edition which is the older, homeschool edition and not the newer editions. As for Common Core, that does not worry me as long as a program is rigorous.

I think I want to stay with Saxon for some time with my oldest. I'll probably always look for used Saxon before buying anything new. So?---it wouldn't matter, right?

Algebra is absolutely being taught to 8th graders in my state NY. We are a CC state.

I am glad that the move to CC spurred my local school district to change from Everyday Math to Singapore. That was a move in the right direction.

My kid is taking Algebra 1 (saxon 3rd edition that is used for homeschooling) in a public charter in state that supports CC in 5th grade so I would not be worried about CC!

I think it really will depend on how the school districts implement the common core. I will be homeschooling next year but my kids are in PS right now so I can tell you what they are doing for common core.

In our district, starting in 4th grade, students are split into math classes (core, accelerated core, and advanced) based on their skill level. They also switched the curriculum at our elementary school to Singapore math this year. I can tell you this is not a dumbed down version of math. My son (5th grade) is learning concepts similar to what my daughter was doing earlier this year in 7th grade, and both are in the accelerated programs. They are solving algebraic equations like inequalities, etc... I think what the common core is trying to do as well is ensure that all kids have a solid foundation in the early years and then build upon that foundation as they get older, introducing concepts and repeating them in different years.

So I don't necessarily think that because a certain curriculum is changing to align with the common core standards, that is a bad thing. What is lovely about homeschooling is that you can pace yourself according to how your individual student is doing.

I can also tell you that at our middle school they are teaching Algebra to 7th graders, they are the ones in the advanced class. The core class goes through the year with grade level material, the advanced will go through that same material plus 1/3 of the 8th grade algebra, and the advanced are in algebra the whole year. So if schools are saying they CAN'T teach algebra in 7th grade, they are either misinterpreting the guidelines or using it as an excuse to not to.

I would have no problem using common core material, if my child was advancing rapidly through the material we would move on to the next level. There is certainly common core material that would be challenging for any student, you just have to figure out what level that might be and use it.

Having moved from one state to another, I can see how a common core would help students that have to change schools, especially as kids get older. If you move to a new school where they introduce negative numbers, for example, in 4th grade, but a new student did not learn that concept yet because their district didn't teach it until 5th grade, that will make it difficult to place that child in the right setting. I believe that is the type of thing the common core was meant to deal with, not necessarily dumbing down of the curriculum in places where they are teaching advanced materials.

Well Said ;)

Any core standards won't make a difference to whether or not the child is allowed to advance. They rarely are without a huge fight (go and have a look at the accelerated learner and afterschooling board). Generally the kids are only tested to a year above or less because it is "damaging" to let them get further ahead than that.

I am is NZ. We have always had a national curriculum and now we have national standards. It doesn't always make things smoother as not all schools cover the material in the same order. I have read of kids who switched schools doing some sections twice and missing others all together.

It does make for less quality variation between schools as a general rule though.

I'm puzzled too. If the CC restricts what "extra" things can be taught, than how are the needs of accelerated students being met? My son is using Singapore and is in 1B. He's 6 yrs old, would technically be in Kindergarten, but is moving on to multiplication (which he's already demonstrated an understanding of, even prior to having formal lessons) and division.

If multiplication isn't supposed to be introduced until 2nd grade, if he were in the public school, would he be forced to sit through K and 1st grade level work for the next TWO years?

Somebody please tell me that they wouldn't force an accelerated student to basically "stall" their learning because they were too far accelerated for their age.

What do you think is happening in public schools to begin with? If your school has a program for accelerated learners then they will get what they need. If they don't then they won't. The Common Core isn't to blame for that. Accelerated or 'TAG" or gifted programs are still going strong in CC states, where the taxpayers have decided to fund them. I live in NY, a CC state, and there are plenty of schools with programs for gifted or accelerated students, if you are lucky enough to live in that district.

Is that upsetting? yes. Is Common Core to blame? No.

I have plenty of issues with Common Core, but let's not muddy the waters.

If your school has a program for accelerated learners then they will get what they need. If they don't then they won't. The Common Core isn't to blame for that. Accelerated or 'TAG" or gifted programs are still going strong in CC states, where the taxpayers have decided to fund them..

Was thinking over this last night and I am wondering if the Common Core standardized test format is to blame for schools dropping the acclerated learners program. I am not talking about the CC standards but the tests itself. The switch from purely MCQ to having questions where you have to write/type out an answer. I am wondering if the public schools might be focusing on getting the existing accelerated students to do well on the CC tests rather than accelerating/enriching them.

This is a document from NY which was linked from California's Dept of Education. Take a look at page 20 to 22 of the pdf. It compares the current NY test question format with the proposed CC format. I am honestly wondering how teachers are going to teach to the test for this kind of questions.

Was thinking over this last night and I am wondering if the Common Core standardized test format is to blame for schools dropping the acclerated learners program. I am not talking about the CC standards but the tests itself. The switch from purely MCQ to having questions where you have to write/type out an answer. I am wondering if the public schools might be focusing on getting the existing accelerated students to do well on the CC tests rather than accelerating/enriching them.

This is a document from NY which was linked from California's Dept of Education. Take a look at page 20 to 22 of the pdf. It compares the current NY test question format with the proposed CC format. I am honestly wondering how teachers are going to teach to the test for this kind of questions.

Interesting idea ... wouldn't surprise me at all!

What schools dropping what accelerated programs?

I was refering to chicagoshannon's post below.

This reminds me that some districts will look for any and every excuse to do something dumb, then grab it and do it. If they don't blame the CC, they will use NCLB or any other mandate to downgrade the education system their area. It really is sad. But obvisously not every disctrict makes such poor decisions. Its another reason to homeschool in those areas and for them to lose more of their funding. Maybe if enough parents demand more or walk they will listen?

OP said

Hello

I found out MUS is going the way of Common Core so I need rec's of other programs to consider that is not going CC way. (please do not argue with me on the benefits or negatives.....I really do not need it ok?!) Just need rec's of those that is not converting programs to CC.

My daughter is in Beta right now. She will be moving on the next level end of next month with MUS. However I will have to find another program now MUS is CC.

Holly

I think the controversy arises when a school district already has standards that are actually more robust than the CC standards, I know that from what I have seen in the private school my sons attend , according to the teachers I have spoken to the school currently has more challenging standards than the CC, and advanced students are allowed to take more advanced math and reading courses. My son's teachers have told me that once adopted, you are tied to the CC standards and have no way of specializing for your particular population, as compliance with the standards as written with documentation is necessary to recieve the funding. The teachers I have spoken to say the problem is that the CC standards are very rigid and specific, and might not meet the needs of more advanced students who are tied to the same standards as everyone else.

That is why math programs are changing, the CC have very specific topics that are to be covered in each grade, and anything extra is not to be taught.

From what I've heard, it sounds like a one size fits all solution that will leave some out in the cold.

My son's private middle school is aligning with the CC. The teachers I have spoken too are not happy about it, my son's math teacher says he will no longer be able to have the advanced 8th graders take Algebra, as that goes against the CC, which mandates Algebra must be taught to all 9th graders. That basically is why I send my child to a private middle school, so that he can get a more challenging education than what is available in our local public schools.

I intend to look into this more first hand, I may be homeschooling in middle school and high school after all, argh.

Thank you for such a great, real life explanation! It sounds like standardized Ed just got even more standardized, leaving even less room for individualized/customized teaching/learning.

How could anyone think more of a one-size fits all approach is a good idea? Standardized Ed is exactly why we choose to homeschool. It shocks me that schools are becoming more standardized.

Wow! This thread took a life of its own. LOL!! ookkk....will do some research on own.

Carry on guys! I am out of this conversation. :D

Holly :001_smile:

Sorry Holly,

Hopefully your question was answered in midst of the public school discussions. It did sort of take on a life of its own. :p Maybe another thread should be started on that. Since we homeschool I don't find it particularly relevent to what we do. I am more interested in hearing the positive/negative impacts on the curriculum itself, if any. Though I must admit it is interesting to hear all the potential fallout from it for better or worse in the various school districts.

I know I can continue to use MUS. I am just not liking they are caving in to CC. It seems there is misinformation regards to MUS. One hand they said they are not changing anything what they have already but adding to it to make it CC compliant. Well I do not see how they can be CC compliant without changing the S&S model of their program. kwim?

I have no idea what to start with if I switch to Signapore US ed.

Holly

I know I can continue to use MUS. I am just not liking they are caving in to CC. It seems there is misinformation regards to MUS. One hand they said they are not changing anything what they have already but adding to it to make it CC compliant. Well I do not see how they can be CC compliant without changing the S&S model of their program. kwim?

Holly

Yes, I do have to question how they will manage this with such a different approach toward S&S. If what they are saying is true then it would be added as extracurricular like the 'honors questions' in the MUS Pre-Algebra text which we have. So I guess a student could 'choose' to learn about things like negative numbers before Pre-A if they do the extra work. Still, that sounds very disjointed to me. It allows them to say MUS complies with CC, but in a slap it on the end sort of way rather than a more integrated, systematic approach.

I thought Singapore US ed was CC now also based upon many public and private schools using it. If so older used copies can still be purchased. Though as Crimson Wife said the newer version is no less than the older one without CC. SM was probably closer to the CC to begin with which made it easier to comply with than MUS.

I thought it was said Signapore math is not CC.

??

Holly

Singapore Math (SM) is a little confusing with so many different versions and now with the CC. Hopefully someone else who is using it will chime is like CrimsonWife. I found this in their FAQ which attempts to explain some of the variations between editions:

Is the Standards Edition of Primary Math "dumbed down" compared to the US or third Edition?

No, it is not. It meets the math requirements per grade level for California, and so some topics were added and rearranged, but it maintains the integrity of the Primary Mathematics curriculum. Most of the content is the same as in the US Edition, and thus the third edition of Primary Mathematics, and some content was added in from the second edition of Primary Mathematics. In fact, it is probably in places a bit more challenging than the US edition because of the addition of material from the second edition of Primary Mathematics. This is one series that has not followed the trend of decreasing challenge with each new edition! Some topics were added, which could lead to concern that it is becoming "mile wide and inch deep" but the additions are fairly minimal. Some of the additions were simply made in order to be more explicit on material that was already in the curriculum, or to cover some of the same material at more grade levels. For example, some content that was repeated between grade levels was removed in going from the second edition to the third edition to create a "reduced content" edition. It is now back in the Standards edition, such as a review of equivalent fractions now in 4A, or the connection between division and fractions now in both 4A and 5A.

-- http://www.singapore...y_Math_s/15.htm

Hello

I found out MUS is going the way of Common Core so I need rec's of other programs to consider that is not going CC way. (please do not argue with me on the benefits or negatives.....I really do not need it ok?!) Just need rec's of those that is not converting programs to CC.

My daughter is in Beta right now. She will be moving on the next level end of next month with MUS. However I will have to find another program now MUS is CC.

Holly

I e mailed Maria Miller of Math Mammoth not too long ago and while her new stuff is CC she mentioned possibly being able to provide the old version of Math Mammoth to someone if they contacted her. If you are interested you can get her contact info off of www.mathmammoth.com

She is very good about answering e mails.

HTH,

Debbie

Holly

If MUS has been working for you, I strongly suggest sticking with it. Either by getting an old program, or by getting new edition and if you don't like it use their return policy.

The things my son learned with MUS he has really solid both as to concepts and algorithms. He got tired of MUS and we left it, but he did not learn math as thoroughly with other programs we tried, I don't think. He is a a pre-algebra stage now, more or less, but I still consider getting the missed MUS materials to review him and get him more solid in some areas.

I thought it was said Signapore math is not CC.

I think the Standards Edition probably already meets or exceeds CCS, so they don't have to make changes. Their middle grades program is being changed to meet CCS.

The Standards Edition was developed to meet California standards, which required adding a few topics that weren't in the US Edition.

I think the Standards Edition probably already meets or exceeds CCS, so they don't have to make changes. Their middle grades program is being changed to meet CCS.

The Standards Edition was developed to meet California standards, which required adding a few topics that weren't in the US Edition.

Isn't the national CCS very similar to existing California standards for mathematics? So for example that if SM or MUS meet California standards they also meets the CCS?

Sorry, no. That'd be dumb.

Kids are tested according to the grade they are in. If a school takes a bunch of bright kids and puts them together in one classroom and just keeps them in their grade but accelerates what they are learning, the school has a guarantee of 25 students of each grade level getting scores of 100. In states where schools are "graded" this is frickin' fantastic.

Yes, I have even seen a school district take this to the nth degree and stick all the bright kids in a single school, so that the average test scores for that particular school are 100 across the board.

Is this good? Yes, I think it is. My kid is in an accelerated K program. I'm sort of miffed that the school is able to just use his score to buffer their average K test score. But I really like that his class consists only of 5-6 year olds who are all crazy rambunctious kids losing their first tooth. He is effectively being "skipped" one-and-a-half grades this year without leaving his age group.

Now the anti-tracking folks have a scapegoat in CC for an unpopular policy change.

Yes. Remember that Jeannie Oakes, considered the nation's foremost expert on tracking and a long-time advocate of detracking, is the

Director of Education and Scholarship at the Ford Foundation which is a financial supporter of the CC.

Somebody please tell me that they wouldn't force an accelerated student to basically "stall" their learning because they were too far accelerated for their age.

This isn't something new. We pulled our dd (now 6th grade) after 1st grade because this is exactly what we saw happening. Her K teacher even said to us that, "Maybe she just needs to slow down and let the rest of the kids catch up."

This was a TOP school in our state. We purchased our home because of this district/school.

I'd need to see a link stating this. I've not heard anything about homeschool students following CC.

Ditto. I assumed she was talking about her state only (I know *I* am not affected by my state of Alabama joining CCS), but I just googled and don't see anything about this for Indiana either. As far as CCS nationally, it does not apply to homeschoolers or private schools. It only applies to schools that receive federal funds. I got that info from HSLDA, of all places. ;)

Yes, please provide links to any information as to how CC affects homeschool students. Otherwise I have to regard it as hearsay since I've seen nothing which points to this. In my state, California, this is not an issue and we've had stricter math standards in the public schools even before the CC. I would be surprised if any state could tell you which 'math curriculum' you could or couldn't use. That said I don't see having some minimum standards as a bad thing, per se. But teaching to the test, NCLB and all the other poorly implemented educational programs/policies/agendas are some of the reasons we homeschool to begin with.

Yes, please provide links to any information as to how CC affects homeschool students. Otherwise I regard it as hearsay since I've seen nothing which points to this. In my state, California, this is not an issue and we've had stricter math standards in the public schools even before the CC. I would be surprised if any state could tell you which 'math curriculum' you could or couldn't use. That said I don't see having some minimum standards as a bad thing, per se. But teaching to the test, NCLB and all the other poorly implemented educational programs/policies/agendas are some of the reasons we homeschool to begin with.

It's not true in Indiana. We just passed a bill requiring further evaluation of CC standards in all nine of our districts, so the final version of CC isn't even set in stone yet, as far as Indiana is concerned.

(The original bill called for withdrawing from CC, but the current version that passed is a compromise.)

They are requiring all homeschoolers and private schools to follow common core.

Who is "they"? :confused1:

Now the College Board *IS* in the process of revising the SAT to reflect Common Core, which may be of concern to HS students aiming for college. However, there are ways to get around the requirement to take the SAT if desired (many 4 yr. colleges do not require it of community college graduates, for example).

"They" are the powers that be.... Here in Indiana they will require all homeschool, private and public school to follow common core. I do not know how they will track homeschoolers here in Indiana. Like Tibbie said above...we just passed a bill to further evaluate CC so we are fighting it here in Indiana.

"They" are the powers that be.... Here in Indiana they will require all homeschool, private and public school to follow common core. I do not know how they will track homeschoolers here in Indiana. Like Tibbie said above...we just passed a bill to further evaluate CC so we are fighting it here in Indiana.

Where did you get this information? I'm also in Indiana and haven't heard a word about proposed changes to state legislature regarding homeschoolers. Who is the "we" fighting it?

If you are reading this thread, and you have not read the common core standards for yourself, please do. Make sure to look over the Appendixes/Exemplars as well. Yes, homeschoolers should read them. Anytime 45+ states agree to adopt something, it is worth knowing. Powerful forces are aligned on all sides of the potential issues, pro or con the merits or vices of standards themselves, pro or con the way they were adopted, pro or con the way they will be implemented, pro or con the changes they may produce and so forth. Whatever position one takes, it is important to recognize that change is underway and try to understand what the change is.

• 4 months later...

It seems there is misinformation regards to MUS. One hand they said they are not changing anything what they have already but adding to it to make it CC compliant. Well I do not see how they can be CC compliant without changing the S&S model of their program. kwim?

Does anyone have any more insight about this? I have been worrying about it as well. I have one kiddo who is in MUS, but I wonder if they are changing to be CC compliant, if my child will end up with gaps due to using some older and some revised versions?

New info, anyone?

Does anyone have any more insight about this? I have been worrying about it as well. I have one kiddo who is in MUS, but I wonder if they are changing to be CC compliant, if my child will end up with gaps due to using some older and some revised versions?

New info, anyone?

They've updated their website:

"Our 2013 editions of Primer-Zeta ensure that all of the concepts and procedures outlined in the Common Core Standards for Mathematical Content for grades K-6 are fully articulated. Although our materials are structured for skill mastery and are not divided by grade level, we have also followed, where possible, the grade level sequence within the Content Standards. As additional materials from the CCSS Initiative are released, such as the publisherĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s criteria, we are also endeavoring to pass on the intent of the standards by focusing on those concepts and procedures that the Initiative describes as essential and by placing less emphasis on those that the Initiative considers to be of lesser importance." -- http://mathusee.com/schools/teacher-resources/common-core-alignment/alignment-to-practice-standards-and-content-standards/

If you have more specific questions regarding potential gaps between the old and new material I recommend writing the author. Then let us know what his response is.