Menu

"Womb Tombs" - The Most Ridiculous Thing I've Heard All Month

JumpyTheFrog

Even worse, he's a guest speaker at many homeschooling conferences!

He was at a conference we went to - at least me and the girls. And as a keynote speaker, we all heard him. (I let them choose talks, except they have to go to the keynotes.) We all came away feeling he was odd. He yells a lot. He may or may not convince us of his point, but he certainly made his point very loudly.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, after reading the HufPo article, I'm even less impressed. His ideas are out there, to say the least. It floors me that he's a "beacon" of the homeschooling community.... this guy, and others like him, are why so many people think Christians and homeschoolers are whackadoodles. It's sad, because I don't know anyone IRL who ascribes to these beliefs.

The scary thing is that I do know some of these. Thankfully they are being diluted by the more rational homeschoolers in the area. I've had a few run ins with some of the men...they don't like women questioning their ideas.

I think it's really more of a podcast. At least, I hope it's merely a podcast.

Even worse, he's a guest speaker at many homeschooling conferences!

According to this Christian radio website:

About Generations Radio

Heard in all 50 states and over 60 countries around the world, Generations Radio brings a fast and fresh perspective to issues touching Christian families. From cultural commentary and movie reviews to education and homeschooling, Generations Radio has it every day - all from a distinctively biblical worldview

About Kevin Swanson

Kevin Swanson is the host of Generations Radio and a homeschool father of five children. Homeschooled himself in the 1960's and 1970's, Kevin went on to run for US Senate and has since traveled around the US and world speaking on the family, education, and biblical worldview. As the Director of Generations with Vision, Kevin has a passion for faith, family, and freedom in the 21st Century.

Just another extremist willing to make sh!t up to support their agenda, thereby helping to discredit their agenda and perhaps end up featured in a late night TV comedy sketch. Frankly, this dude sounds like a totally exaggerated caricature of a religious conservative and not a real person. His assertions sound like something you might read in the Onion.

These sorts are not interested in education, they are interested in lifestyle indoctrination that gives the rest of us, conservative and liberal home schoolers alike, a bad name.

Here's a post on the 2009 Leadership Summit. Key goals were:

• abolish the public school system
  • abolish all private schools (including religious schools)
  • abolish CPS
  • discourage women from reading or running blogs (because it's all "gossip")
  • forbid daughters from receiving any vocational training and keeping them at home until marriage

It sounds like they need to merge with the Taliban.

<putting on my flame retardant suit> I actually think abolishing the PS school system isn't such a bad idea. It's pretty broken right now and no one else seems to think of anything else but "take em out and homeschool" or throw money at it.

Oh, I think people have other ideas. But, it would really require completely ditching the current system. That is a really tough sell.

I totally see that side. But living in a city where the houses are lined up line sardines I do see it as useful at the very least for crowd control. I know, that sounds horrible. What I mean is that it serves some people and serves them well. What if you found yourself in a position where you just could not educate your child at home for whatever reason? Would you want nothing out there available to you? I wouldn't. Or what if you think about the family who doesn't give a rat's butt about education of any kind? At least their child might be getting SOMETHING. And I know there are some districts that are great and people are stunned and insulted to hear me talk about this like that. But it's not like that everywhere! But despite that I still think it is better than nothing. And I am not mad over having to pay for it even though I don't use it.

I do think schools play a part, but I'm not talking about abolishing the schools - I'm talking about destroying the Department of Education and starting over. There is a need for schools and I don't want to force everyone into home education, I want our schools to be what they should be: bastions of good education, not a social experiment perpetuated on our kids. (Tin foil hat)

<putting on my flame retardant suit> I actually think abolishing the PS school system isn't such a bad idea. It's pretty broken right now and no one else seems to think of anything else but "take em out and homeschool" or throw money at it.

I think you are greatly overgeneralizing the many faces of school reform and the outcomes of public education in this country. Homeschoolers on the whole don't seem to much like it when we get lumped together with the nutcases and a set of over generalized stereotypes yet we seem all too willing to return the favor.

That said, I am in favor of massively drastic changes to the way public schools work. It's not like I think it is all hunky dory with the public school system.

Here's a post on the 2009 Leadership Summit. Key goals were:

• abolish the public school system

• abolish all private schools (including religious schools)

• abolish CPS

• discourage women from reading or running blogs (because it's all "gossip")

• forbid daughters from receiving any vocational training and keeping them at home until marriage

ThatMom's blog also has some podcasts about the "leadership" summit.

Did he jump straight out of a Margaret Atwood novel? And can we please shove him back into it?

I think you are greatly overgeneralizing the many faces of school reform and the outcomes of public education in this country. Homeschoolers on the whole don't seem to much like it when we get lumped together with the nutcases and a set of over generalized stereotypes yet we seem all too willing to return the favor.

Of course there are other voices - but the two I mentioned are the two most vocal sides. Of COURSE there are other voices. I never intimated or said any different.

Oh I do agree with you on that. There is too much bureaucracy for sure. And too much hopping onto the next greatest thing and buzzword.

I have a few friends in supervisory positions and they lament the same thing. They want back to basics, but the government keeps piling more and more regulations and edicts on them.

Of course there are other voices - but the two I mentioned are the two most vocal sides. Of COURSE there are other voices. I never intimated or said any different.

I disagree. There are plenty of vocal and visible voices with different ideas than the dichotomy you set up. As homeschoolers, it is easy for us to tune them all out.

Did he jump straight out of a Margaret Atwood novel? And can we please shove him back into it?

Ok, I am going to start saying people and things "need to be shoved back into a Margaret Atwood novel" all the time now. It is a spot on analogy and I find it surreal that some of these things are even in question anymore.

"Beacon"?

I have never heard of this guy.

Probably he hasn't heard of me either, so we're most likely even. But he isn't beaconing very brightly into the sane part of the movement.

Maybe I need to get out more.

SWB

I know very well who he is because I used to be a homeschooler in Colorado and he has a great deal of influence with CHEC, the statewide Christian homeschooling association. He used to be the director of the group but took on a new role to focus more on promoting and expanding Generations with Vision.

Fix my ignorance - but what does that mean? I've never read a Margaret Atwood novel, so I don't know who she is and how it fits in?

Margaret Atwood is a Canadian writer. A famous novel of hers is The Handmaid's Tale which describes a dystopian society with fertility problems where the few young women who are still fertile are assigned as property to men belonging to the ruling establishment, to serve as surrogates and bear their children. The women are treated like property, bear their owner's name, and give birth on the lap of the actual wife because the child is considered hers. A good synopsis is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Handmaid%27s_Tale

Margaret Atwood is a Canadian writer. A famous novel of hers is The Handmaid's Tale which describes a dystopian society with fertility problems where the few young women who are still fertile are assigned as property to men belonging to the ruling establishment, to serve as surrogates and bear their children. The women are treated like property, bear their owner's name, and give birth on the lap of the actual wife because the child is considered hers. That gives you a pretty good idea...

Thank you very much. That makes the comment very sage and apropos. Sounds like a book I don't much want to read. LOL

It is actually a VERY interesting, albeit somewhat disturbing, book. Rather pertinent, sadly.

I actually probably WILL read it at some point, but right now there are so many things in my life that are stressful and highly emotional that I don't want to add to it by reading, KWIM?

This. I'm constantly fighting my more liberal friends to understand that these people are not our spokesperson, just another person.

Interesting aside, I haven't found as much coverage given to the fringe crazies on the pro-choice side. They definitely exist, but are not usually the first Google search result like the pro-life ones tend to be, KWIM?

Yes, seriously. I've never heard of him before and I started hsing in '91... so I think I would have heard of him in that time.

Homeschooled himself in the 1960's and 1970's, Kevin went on to run for US Senate and has since traveled around the US and world speaking on the family, education, and biblical worldview. As the Director of Generations with Vision, Kevin has a passion for faith, family, and freedom in the 21st Century.

This cracks me up beyond belief. Way to lead with your strengths! It's like my bio saying: Traditionally schooled from elementary school through college, Katilac went on to apply for many prestigious jobs that she did not get.

Ok, I am going to start saying people and things "need to be shoved back into a Margaret Atwood novel" all the time now. It is a spot on analogy and I find it surreal that some of these things are even in question anymore.

Yes, that is made out of win and covered with awesome sauce.

SWB, he does know who you are and claims he used your curriculum for "about 10 minutes." :tongue_smilie:

Well, at least he gave it a fair try, right?

I know who he is. Our state hs'ing organization always welcomes him and others like him to the conventions. They get top billing. The IAHE convention is the only homeschooling convention in our state.

We need inclusive conventions, organizations, and websites for three reasons:

1. To create a profitable lecturing circuit for the incoming, thinking crowd Susan mentioned who have so much to offer to the homeschooling community

2. To create an alternative to the state org. conventions, because many people feel a need to attend conventions and would rather go to a bad one than to miss out (possibly failing to realize the indoctrination effect of so many workshops and lectures that are fear-based and divisive)

3. To create a way to find each other IRL other than through the WTM forums :) because we often feel we're the only hs'ers in our area who are not Kevin Swanson sycophants or Abeka devotees. It's often not true, but it sure does feel that way when your local support groups and fellow homeschooling church members are focused either on unschooling or dominionist theology...and I fear classical hs'ers are going to feel even more isolated in some parts of the country after David Quine has had his say in the conventions.

Some of us have been talking about this for years but we've lacked the time and the resources to really get started. This (always public) nonsense from Kevin Swanson, and the attack on classical home ed. in the upcoming convention cycle, may be the sign that the time has come. We need conventions to which the fringe element are not invited to speak. We need better networking to find each other locally.

When I say "beacon" I mean that unfortunately, there are plenty of homeschoolers out there who revere this man and what he stands for. If he's being invited to conferences (although, I know how little *that* means) anymore, it means he has a following. And I also use it to mean this: when the media wants to publish a story about homeschooling, they go for the sensational... they go for quotes and stances from people like this guy. And then the public at large think that's what we're *all* about. :glare:

Susan, I completely agree that there are rational, middle of the road voices of reason.... we've got boatloads of them right here on this board. And I think, and hope, that you're right in that the tide is turning toward the sane. I just know how loud the voices of the insane have been historically. :)

I clicked though that facebook and got some good laughs.

He makes a very tenuous connection between high college costs, college education for women, prostitution and feminism. Actually calling it a tenuous connection is overly generous. Apparently sending girls to college is making them prostitutes and contributing to a "new trend called Sugar Daddies". :smilielol5:

https://generationswithvision.com/broadcast/rising-college-costs-driving-prostitution-feminism-vs-family-economies/

Someone needs to remind him that prostitution predates college education in any form.

ETA- then I need to smack him upside the head for likening women like me, what with our college degrees and stuff, to prostitutes. Though I would prefer hanging out with prostitutes to his company.

I don't mean to bash our state organization. My family and I are personally friendly with several in leadership here. I like the job they do in our state legislature and I really don't hate them. It's just something about that convention. Why does it have to be ever more radical every year? There are other perspectives in American homeschooling.

When I say "beacon" I mean that unfortunately, there are plenty of homeschoolers out there who revere this man and what he stands for. If he's being invited to conferences (although, I know how little *that* means) anymore, it means he has a following. And I also use it to mean this: when the media wants to publish a story about homeschooling, they go for the sensational... they go for quotes and stances from people like this guy. And then the public at large think that's what we're *all* about. :glare:

Susan, I completely agree that there are rational, middle of the road voices of reason.... we've got boatloads of them right here on this board. And I think, and hope, that you're right in that the tide is turning toward the sane. I just know how loud the voices of the insane have been historically. :)

]

This makes me sad because if that's so then there's a lot of women getting a whole heaping load of guilt dumped on their plates.

I know who he is. Our state hs'ing organization always welcomes him and others like him to the conventions. They get top billing. The IAHE convention is the only homeschooling convention in our state.

We need inclusive conventions, organizations, and websites for three reasons:

1. To create a profitable lecturing circuit for the incoming, thinking crowd Susan mentioned who have so much to offer to the homeschooling community

2. To create an alternative to the state org. conventions, because many people feel a need to attend conventions and would rather go to a bad one than to miss out (possibly failing to realize the indoctrination effect of so many workshops and lectures that are fear-based and divisive)

3. To create a way to find each other IRL other than through the WTM forums :) because we often feel we're the only hs'ers in our area who are not Kevin Swanson sycophants or Abeka devotees. It's often not true, but it sure does feel that way when your local support groups and fellow homeschooling church members are focused either on unschooling or dominionist theology...and I fear classical hs'ers are going to feel even more isolated in some parts of the country after David Quine has had his say in the conventions.

Some of us have been talking about this for years but we've lacked the time and the resources to really get started. This (always public) nonsense from Kevin Swanson, and the attack on classical home ed. in the upcoming convention cycle, may be the sign that the time has come. We need conventions to which the fringe element are not invited to speak. We need better networking to find each other locally.

I think it is hard because we don't have time when we are in the trenches. Once we're done, we move on. It is the same reason that most women give up LLL once all of their kids are weaned.

I think it is hard because we don't have time when we are in the trenches. Once we're done, we move on. It is the same reason that most women give up LLL once all of their kids are weaned.

This makes a lot of sense. For education oriented homeschool parents, homeschooling is more likely to be a means to an end. For folks like this Kevin dude, homeschooling is part of an paradigm and an orthodoxy of the "right" way to live and believe, the expansion of which they make their life's work. So they are going to put more energy into building their movement with big community, public events. Me? I am not part of a movement. I just want a happy, well educated kid who is spared what he would likely face in a big school setting.

Agreed.

Maybe it's womb envy.

I honestly start to wonder w/some of these twits.

It's something *they* can't do, so lets try and dominate it all to heck, put all sorts of ridiculous ideas out, and try and control women.

I mean, REALLY?!

Let's take a look at their laundry hamper, and see how many swimmers died...*eyeroll*