Menu

February No & Low Spenders! Week 1 (2/1-2/7)

Runningmom80

Yes! I think it is at least. We always buy dark roast, so that's part of it.

We have a Bialetti and it makes STRONG coffee and it's cheap to make--we just get some espresso grinded from Publix and one cup has me GOING. I add some heated milk to it but DH prefers it black. It's similar to a French Press but easier to make--just put it on the stove with water and turn on heat. We had a French Press but it exploded on DH and burned him so we went with this.

DH is an Italophile (sp??) and this is the only coffee, besides Nespresso which he will make at home.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I have posted goals for this month:

Groceries: $700 (had to up this as DH went shopping..LOL)

Gas: $160

Curriculum and School Supplies: $100

Personal Mad Money: $80

Dining Out: $50

Standing costs include afterschool, cell phone and piano, which I will note but am not able to change.

Yesterday was a huge spend day for me....here's my stats.

Groceries/wal-mart/costco--500 -- I got loads of meats, eggs, dairy and frozen veggies and all household stuff--paper products, detergent...etc

Quilting supplies/ knitting supplies --200

Vehicle fill up and cleaned 75.00 --will last two weeks

Coat for baby, new exercise stuff for son--50.00

Nana care packages for grand-babies--50.00

Allowance for son 60.00

Mom stuff --nails and haircut --50.00

Everything was paid in cash...I don't think I'll spend anymore money except maybe for milk until the 15th.

I spent over $600 yesterday on groceries and household items, and even then I forgot a few things. But if it keeps me out of the stores for awhile, I guess that's a good thing.

I'm trying to decide what I would like for my birthday. I can spend some money on my hair (And do I want to keep it long or cut it shorter? Streaks or no streaks?) or I could spend about the same amount of money and get a kindle. Decisions, decisions.

I spent over $600 yesterday on groceries and household items, and even then I forgot a few things. But if it keeps me out of the stores for awhile, I guess that's a good thing.

I'm trying to decide what I would like for my birthday. I can spend some money on my hair (And do I want to keep it long or cut it shorter? Streaks or no streaks?) or I could spend about the same amount of money and get a kindle. Decisions, decisions.

My birthday is the 24th! I'm getting my hair done on e 22nd, and I'm trying to justify a new pair of jeans too, :)

My birthday is the 24th! I'm getting my hair done on e 22nd, and I'm trying to justify a new pair of jeans too, :)

OOooooo, I really NEED a pair of new jeans. My regular ones are getting holes by the back pockets.

I need to make a budget for my birthday and decide what I REALLY want. ;)

I sent you a pm with a link to my pinboards. Some are more montessori-like than others. There are some great blogs out there with montessori busy bag activities that don't break the bank. I wouldn't buy the magnet letter and numbers from dollar tree as I worry about the magnets coming off.....but the fishing pole activity where you sew a washer into the fish's mouth is pretty safe. There are a lot of things on pinterest I didn't pin to my boards because I had already made them..... It's now kiddo #4 who is doing busy bag activities, so I've been building my stash for almost a decade now. ;)

I found some that the whole back of the letter is a magnet so they won't fall off. Front are wooden. They had letters and numbers. :)

Had to get groceries to start off February. We were out of many staples. There's no chance I'm going to fritter away any money today as I am so tired from two nights with a sick child I'm laying like a vegetable today. Dh is out spending money today - took ds13 snowboarding, but he doesn't track expenses, so I'll just include a guestimate in my totals.

Food Groceries: $128.27

Non-Food/Household: $8.78

Entertainment: ~ $100ish

Saturday is my big spend day.

2/1: $109.96 school

2/2: $11.79 book, $172.50 groceries, $77.61 clothing, $4.09 pets, $14.61 medical

2/3: $0

2/4: $0

2/5: $0

2/6: $110 school, $14.61 groceries

2/7: $0

I've been wanting to restock our colored pencils for quite a while, and when I saw the 150 Prismacolor pencils for $109 on Amazon I grabbed them before the price went back up. The book was a impulse purchase after seeing it recommended here. It's a parenting book, and I'm hoping it helps with a few issues we have going on. The groceries are just that. The clothing are new tennis shoes and athletic pants for DS11 because he needed them. He's been waiting until we had enough in our clothing budget. The pets is crickets for our frog, because he needs to eat too.

Starbucks is my kryptonite!

We bought a French press a couple of months ago, and at has helped. It's super easy to just make a cup at a time, and it tastes amazing!

My problem with Starbucks is in the afternoon. I have to wait for ds16 at swim practice after school and I am fading...I have started walking the track while I wait but still need that coffee boost. I am a decaf only person...any suggestions?

I just totaled all of our receipts for our supposed no spend January. I don't think we were that successful. We spent too much on fast food/restaurants when the colds/flu made its way through the house. Our goal this month is to cut that number 75%, and keep an accurate gauge on how much we spend on gasoline. We are considering trading in my car for a hybrid or higher mpg one. No payments, of course.

I am having a major problem with trying to figure out just what I really need first for the house. I need some sort of shelving for DS room, kitchen chairs, towel bars in the bathrooms, a better solution for the TV and electronics to sit on, and decent insulated curtains for 3 normal size and 2 very large windows.

I'm thinking curtains should be first since we need the privacy, bit also to absorb some sound and warm up this big tiled room. They are going to be really expensive and eat up any extra money I could have for at least a month or more.

I am having a major problem with trying to figure out just what I really need first for the house. I need some sort of shelving for DS room, kitchen chairs, towel bars in the bathrooms, a better solution for the TV and electronics to sit on, and decent insulated curtains for 3 normal size and 2 very large windows.

I'm thinking curtains should be first since we need the privacy, bit also to absorb some sound and warm up this big tiled room. They are going to be really expensive and eat up any extra money I could have for at least a month or more.

I agree, curtains first!

I can relate. That was me last month with yarn. I'm hoping this month is better and I've gotten it out of my system. But, hey, you "needed" something to keep the 2 wee hooligans out of mischief, right? Tomorrow is another day.

I sure hope February isn't going to be a long month budget-wise.

This is what I keep telling myself!

I'm staying out of the yarn store! Lol I have no self control, and I just found a sweet little cardigan pattern for dd. (age already has 2. Lol)

Okay so DH just informed me that he has a bunch of money coming in next week (hooray-he's self employed so income is NOT level throughout the year, which makes budgeting and saving hard) so that means our credit card (which we always pay off each month) can be completely paid off ahead of time, and we even have some extra for our emergency fund. I can breathe!

2/1 - 2/3 = $60

This month started with a double whammy for spending! Weekly family lunch out (which we went cheap at a diner) and Super Bowl snacks! Grocery shopping tomorrow then for the rest of the week, I don't have any expenese planned above my weekly $20 allowance.

So, occasionally DH goes on a trip to Costco because I can't deal with it in there. Well, he went today. My grocery day. And he spent $200. Sigh. So there goes this weeks grocery money. He bought stuff we will...eventually need. Like 4 large jugs of olive oil. 2 large jugs of maple syrup. 20 Bubba Burgers. 25 organic hotdogs....well, at least this stuff will last us. I think I might need to up my grocery budget, as he didn't get a lot of vegetables.

And no, DH doesn't like budgets. Why do you ask? :glare:

On the plus side, I went by Sports Authority to check out their Asics sale...which ended yesterday. Durn. But the guy pointed out a pair of cheap Sauconys that he said were quite similar and then he pulled 15% off everything til August card out of his pocket for me to use. So I spent just $33 when I was planning on spending about $60 or more. Decided to go ahead with it...such a steal and I was going to buy shoes next week anyway. So that's my "I resisted and it paid off" news. :D

I totally forgot to include eating out in my plan like you ladies did. And that was the big fail yesterday.

OK--new plan. NO eating out unless we are on the road this month. Random drive-thru trips put a hole in my wallet.

Eating out can be a killer!!! One of my kids' allergies kept us from eating out very often when the kids were little. We got into the habit of eating in or carrying our food. I am greatful for that now!

OOooooo, I really NEED a pair of new jeans. My regular ones are getting holes by the back pockets.

I need to make a budget for my birthday and decide what I REALLY want. ;)

Oh man. I need new jeans too! I've had one pair and I think they are 5 years old. They are in perfect condition. But, I'd like another pair. I lost some weight since then and need a different size!

Had to get groceries to start off February. We were out of many staples. There's no chance I'm going to fritter away any money today as I am so tired from two nights with a sick child I'm laying like a vegetable today. Dh is out spending money today - took ds13 snowboarding, but he doesn't track expenses, so I'll just include a guestimate in my totals.

Food Groceries: $128.27

Non-Food/Household: $8.78

Entertainment: ~ $100ish

I hope everyone gets better soon!!!!

2/1 $0, 2/2 $0

It looks like a good start to the month, but I think the washer broke today.

Darn! Isn't that the way it always goes? We did really well last year and then got a leak in our living room from the kids' bathroom. Estimate to fix? $3000!!! Yea. We'll hold off on that one! (Actually I'm looking to see if I can't do a bunch of the demolition by myself!)

Goals:

Groceries (including all household items): $97/$700

Medical: $30/$100 (This is the month we need a buy our kids' medications!)

Gas: $62/$550 (This is a KILLER!!)

Kids' activities: $0/$1700 (Again, this month is a KILLER - payments for rowing, gymnastics, orchestra, and karate are all due. But, it's all budgeted.)

Things I'm going to try to curb this month and I hope to bank the difference in our vacation account:

Eating out: 0!!!

Coffee: 0!!!

Extra income (hopefully!):

Goal: $78/$400

(Dh occasionally gets "tips" for his services as a priest - wedding, funerals, etc. He has a funeral next week. I also hope to sell some things on line. And, that will be banked in our vacation account!!)

Updated above!! Medical spending went DOWN! I found a coupon for ds' asthma medication for $20 off. We took the receipt and the coupon in and they refunded the difference!! Woohoo!

Groceries - I planned CHEAP meals this week. I need to spend the day in the kitchen making things for the week - breads, rolls, sauces, etc. I hope the $97 will get us through next Wed when I'll probably spend $20 on fresh veggies. Add to that the $18 for eggs, and another $7 for milk (both delivered) for the week, and I think we're doing pretty well!!!

Gas - my car was filled. Ugh. Hopefully it will last us a couple weeks!!

Bil sent dh some ticket to NitroCircus for him & our boys for saturday. I knew that they would get a bite to eat while there. They spent a total of $58 on eating!!! and dh gives me a hard time about the occasional $5 combo I get at McD :svengo: So I've ammended our totals for saturday. At least sunday was a no spend day.

Spending so far:

1 Feb = $1.20 parking + $6 milk + $44.66 fuel for my car + $128.06 grocery + $26.93 grocery + $16.45 grocery + $6 McD + $332.38 grocery

2 Feb = $3 book + $12 misc. tools + $17.50 Lotto & paper + $19 snacks at show + $9 snacks at gas station + $30 dinner at McD on way home

3 Feb = $0

4 Feb = $25 workbook for ds#2's science class

5 Feb = $22 workbook for ds#2's maths class + $6 milk

6 Feb =

7 Feb =

Food = $515.82 /$1200

Beer / Eat Out = $64 /$200

Fuel = $44.66 /$400

DH's misc. spending = $32.50

Costs of "free" PS = $47

1/1: $0

2/2: $7.00 coffee out with dd to talk about church camp

2/3: $122.00 groceries at Costco

Two grocery stores are having stock up prices so I'll be spending about $50.00 tomorrow.

We need to order a shower part from Amazon, and I am probably going to order my Killgallon books because I have not been able to find them used anywhere for a decent price.

All righty, then.... catching up the weekend:

2/1: $253 for groceries/household, $2 for a treat

2/2: $28 for dinner out after my son's basketball game (planned)

2/3: $7 for the Kindle book I bought without any thought whatsoever ;)

Hmm... I am hoping to get 10 no spend days this month, but that might be a stretch, especially since I don't have any yet, and tomorrow won't be either. (Hitting a different grocery store for a few additional items.) Maybe I'll shoot for 7 days. That would be 25%!! So, goals:

Cut dining out and treats - this will be tough because my husband often buys lunch at work. We're trying to have him take his lunch a couple days a week, though. So no firm goal, just trying to be mindful and cut down on it.

Groceries and household - aiming for $800 or less. It's gotten out of hand!!

Aim for 7 no spend days.

I budget $60/month.....that worked great during the early years of homeschooling, but now that I have three students, including a jr. high kid, it is tight.

2/1 $0

2/2 $9.52 at Chipotle for a burrito and an izze on my date with dh(dh didn't eat as he had had a huge lunch), $14.46 at Wal-Mart (mylicon, baby tylenol to have on hand, a bag of salad, a bag of cheap burritos for the kids, and a bag of marshmallows to make clone trooper cupcakes)

2/3 $0

I repriced our insurance.....looks like I'll be saving $400ish/year on auto....waiting on final documents to arrive for new policy.

I think I'm done for a while.

What do you all budget for curriculum/books? I'm thinking 50-100 a month?

Spurts--we buy only when we're close to finishing, so it's hard to say what our monthly budget is. This year we're only buying what we really need and know works, meaning, no more experimental curricula coming our way. At least until we get our feet under us after this move.

$50-$100 sounds reasonable, especially if you already have the major cores purchased.

I think I'm done for a while.

What do you all budget for curriculum/books? I'm thinking 50-100 a month?

Historically, I have come out at $400-$800 per child, per year for curriculum. Younger kids are on the lower end of that; older kids are on the higher end. I'm pretty dialed-in with my choices now, so I have one major purchase in the spring and then rarely buy much else throughout the year. I think I've learned from experience that "extras" are wasted on me. I never, ever, ever get around to making the plaster volcano, doing the potato battery, making 12 different kinds of bird feeders, etc., etc. I've come to really like straight-forward read-this-do-this curriculum. Honestly, I don't need to do 12 different activities about the Vikings; I just want to read the book, ask a few questions and get on with it. :leaving:

So far I have spent nothing today, despite getting released from jury duty at 10:30. I really, really want some scrapbook stuff that is on sale at joann.com but I am going to resist until we pay off the cc bill. I think the coupon will work until next week. Must. Be. Strong.

2/1 75.00 on produce and lunch items at Walmart.

2/2 0

2/3 30.00 gas for the car

2/4 11.00 for paper towels, chicken and beef stock and soda for DH

This week I have an extra 200 that comes once a month. My new plan is to start using that for DS school and activities exclusively. If I budget that and then save it up when we don't need anything I will have some back up for bigger purchases, like the outsourced history class I want to try next year.

I'm back...

2-1-13 BK $9.17

2-2-13 Walmart 192.62 (new tv)

2-2-13 Sam's 28.37

2-2-13 Aldi $36.09

2-2-13 Old Navy $6.36

2-2-13 $214.77 Von Maur pay off CC

2-2-13 Hyvee $44.20

2-2-13 Maurice's $52.43 pay off CC

2-2-13 $86.16 Car Insurance

2-2-13 Investment $70.00

2-2-13 Pizza take out $19.17

2-4-13 Sally's $28.78

2-4-13 new car battery $125.00

2-4-13 Snowblower repair $98.00

I think I've learned from experience that "extras" are wasted on me. I never, ever, ever get around to making the plaster volcano, doing the potato battery, making 12 different kinds of bird feeders, etc., etc. I've come to really like straight-forward read-this-do-this curriculum. Honestly, I don't need to do 12 different activities about the Vikings; I just want to read the book, ask a few questions and get on with it. :leaving:

This is me, as well. We did a lot of projects when the boys were younger, but now...? I've finally come to accept that they don't really want to build a model of the Trojan horse. *I* don't really want to build a model of the Trojan horse. They don't really learn anything from a project like this, and therefore it's just busy work for all of us. The upside of this is that I don't have a cardboard model of a Trojan horse cluttering up my house! The downside is that the kit is still on the shelf mocking me. *Sigh*

2/1 Groceries 180.24

2/2 New griddle (planned) 14.88

2/3 Birthday gifts for my ds and my sister's husband (planned) $150-ish

2/4 $0

And on my theme of being a good steward of what I already own before buying anything new.... I *really* wanted to go to the craft store today, but instead I worked in my yard and gave a much neglected rose bush some pruning and love. Win for the rose bush and small win for me. :001_smile:

2/1 $0, 2/2 $0, 2/3 $8, 2/4 $0

We overrode the lid switch on our washer, so we didn't have to repair or replace it. Yay! I was debating putting in a PHP order today, but I think I'm going to hold off until closer to the end of this year. I covet those Well-Caffeinated Mind mugs. We shouldn't be spending any money tomorrow, but we have puppy surgery and a few other things coming up later this week.

My goals for February:

1. no amazon spending

2. no curricula purchasing

3. no eating out except for dates with my husband, limited to $62.59 in budget

4. eat out of pantry, grocery budget limited to $283.89

5. misc. non-food and non-clothing expenditures limited to $90.85

6. re-price auto & home insurance DONE: saving approx $400/year

Eating Out: spent $9.52/$53.07 remaining

Groceries: spent $44.71/$239.18 remaining

Misc.: spent $14.46/$76.39 remaining

I spent $44.71 on groceries today, and that should hold me for the week. I roasted a chicken over potatoes and onions tonight for supper. Most of the leftovers got bundled up and made two lunches for dh to take to work this week. The chicken leftovers are now simmering and making me a lovely stock for a chicken and rice soup later on this week.

Aldi had milk at $1.99/gallon. I've heard of people freezing it when they find it on sale. So, I purchased two gallons to freeze (and I have four to drink)....it's an experiment I wouldn't take on if it weren't for the challenge!